Sony says blue/purple tinged corner shadows are normal operation for edge lit LED? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony has informed me that the blue/purple shadow discoloration I have in all four corners of my new edge lit LED television (kdl46HX729) is normal. This based solely on photos that don't do the issue justice. My old Sony camera isn't able to pick up the shadows well. When I pushed to have someone come look at it they said "no, it's operating normally. This case is closed."

I have a constant shadow on the vertical edges of all four corners and often it looks like the corners have a dark curve to them that gives the impression that the corner of the image gets cutoff. Depending on the image (and I'm guessing the edge lighting and local dimming), the shadows/discoloration will increase in size and intensity. Whenever there is a light scene, there's that sense of something in the periphery and my eyes are drawn to the corners.

I wanted to throw this out to the general public and hear from a wider knowledge base. I found one Samsung thread, but it was from 2009 and didn't sound like what I am experiencing. I asked in the HX729 thread a week back or so, but I'd like to hear from a wider audience with LED edge lit sets.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 01:19 AM

Liked: 32
There is a certain limit, in what the manufacturer states as reasonable. If you are really being nit picky about something that is not what is within the manufacturer spec's, it depends on trying to compare what you are seeing, and what they are seeing.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 AM

Can you return it?

If not, perhaps your credit card company can deal with this as a manufacturer's defect.

I would definitely get it repaired (if it can't be returned), and not on my own dime.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 06:22 AM

Liked: 11
Its disturbing really. I have a problem with a Panasonic ST30 that shows whites as pink along the sides of the screen.....I received a very similar response. "Its within the realm of tolerability" umm are you kidding me? That is not a "spec" that is being incredibly subjective and unreasonable. Who are you to tell me what I can and can not tolerate ? I would get it if there was a couple stuck pixels or whatever but pink whites ? really ?

A TV is meant to display a picture. Anything that displays incorrectly from what the source is projecting. Is defective in my opinion. IE the source says white and the TV displays pink.......

Anyway completely disgusted with them and will never by another Panasonic product as long as I live.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm curious, with both posters who have tvs displaying anomolies which are unacceptable to them: Why didn't you return your tv during the normal 30 day return period. Why keep a tv that bothers you, return it.

If you've kept it for longer than the return period, the manufacturer is within their rights to deny replacement. Warranties are for defects which make the tv unusable after the return period.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
mes444 has a good point. I've had to go throught 3 Samsung panels to get one that does not has serious defects. The folks at BB have been very supportive (it no doubt helps that I'm a Platinum customer).

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #7 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 10:45 AM

Well for me, I tried to return it after a week and the store said no. Only would they exchange it if a Panasonic tech came out did a report and Panasonic issued the order to replace it. I followed their procedure, the tech agreed there was an issue. But based on the techs photos Panasonic denied the request.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC93 View Post

Sony has informed me that the blue/purple shadow discoloration I have in all four corners of my new edge lit LED television (kdl46HX729) is normal. This based solely on photos that don't do the issue justice. My old Sony camera isn't able to pick up the shadows well. When I pushed to have someone come look at it they said "no, it's operating normally. This case is closed."

I have a constant shadow on the vertical edges of all four corners and often it looks like the corners have a dark curve to them that gives the impression that the corner of the image gets cutoff. Depending on the image (and I'm guessing the edge lighting and local dimming), the shadows/discoloration will increase in size and intensity. Whenever there is a light scene, there's that sense of something in the periphery and my eyes are drawn to the corners.

I wanted to throw this out to the general public and hear from a wider knowledge base. I found one Samsung thread, but it was from 2009 and didn't sound like what I am experiencing. I asked in the HX729 thread a week back or so, but I'd like to hear from a wider audience with LED edge lit sets.

Thanks!

return it or exchange it if you still can
post #9 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

I'm curious, with both posters who have tvs displaying anomolies which are unacceptable to them: Why didn't you return your tv during the normal 30 day return period. Why keep a tv that bothers you, return it.

If you've kept it for longer than the return period, the manufacturer is within their rights to deny replacement. Warranties are for defects which make the tv unusable after the return period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAcesUp View Post

Well for me, I tried to return it after a week and the store said no. Only would they exchange it if a Panasonic tech came out did a report and Panasonic issued the order to replace it. I followed their procedure, the tech agreed there was an issue. But based on the techs photos Panasonic denied the request.

I am in the middle of trying to exchange. But TigerDirect wouldn't deal with me without a Sony ticket number (case number, support number). So I contacted Sony who denied my issue. I don't know for sure how it works, but odds are when I call TigerDirect back, they'll check that number, see Sony denied the problem and deny my exchange. I don't know. I will find out but, either way, I won't be using TigerDirect ever again. They tried to change it to no returns at purchase. Then, they tried to change the 30 day exchange to contact manufacturer. And the only way to find out terms of "their full 30 day warranty" is to send a prepaid envelope to their headquarters in Florida and they'll send it to you snail mail. Fortunately, I printed out copies of everything.

Ultimately, I was hoping to get an overall information dump on edge lit LEDs. I was able to find information about flashlighting and blooming prior to purchase, so wasn't surprised by it. I'm not 100% on the clouding and dirty screen thing, but I don't think I have that. I haven't found much, if anything, about any other anomalies, particularly what I'm seeing.

I would like to know if anyone has noticed blue tinge in the corners of their sets. Do you think it is a side effect of local dimming on edge-lit LED or do all edge-lit LEDs suffer this?

If many have it, then it's a unfortunately a standard thing to expect with the technology. If I'm the only one, I think it's fair to say it's likely a manufacturing defect. The problem is, I can't find anywhere or don't know where to find something that says what is normal. I realize manufacturers aren't going to put out a list of every little thing, so where else do you go?

I've also noticed that I can see the top edge LED strip as shadows when I put a solid color screen up, but I believe that is normal. It's something you would have to actually concentrate on to see during regular viewing and doesn't distract from viewing.

I realize, sadly, that you can't get perfection with the pace of new technology, but I like being an educated consumer. I feel there is a gap here and if LEDs are going to stick around, I'd like to make sure they are working right. At the least, someone who's shopping might stumble upon this thread and it could help them out.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 04:10 PM

Funny thing is I just got back from the theatre. Watched "The Grey" great movie fwiw. And because of my issues "S30" and "St30" among all the things we read on the forums. I was looking at every detail on that screen. And I saw motion blur, some dark tinges on the screen and gasp! Film grain !! I came to the conclusion we are way over critical of what we are looking at in our homes to some extent. And I promised myself when I replace the pink and green plasma I have now. I'm just gonna enjoy what I get for what it is. Minus any obvious defects such as pink tinting and green blobs lol.

I was way over critical of the s30 I bought and that's what lead me right into this giant mess with the ST30. Had I not been greedy this would have never happened and I would be enjoying a calibrated 60 inch tv right now instead of waiting anxiously for potential buyers who dont notice the tint to email me back......
post #11 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

I am in the middle of trying to exchange. But TigerDirect wouldn't deal with me without a Sony ticket number (case number, support number). So I contacted Sony who denied my issue. I don't know for sure how it works, but odds are when I call TigerDirect back, they'll check that number, see Sony denied the problem and deny my exchange. I don't know. I will find out but, either way, I won't be using TigerDirect ever again. They tried to change it to no returns at purchase. Then, they tried to change the 30 day exchange to contact manufacturer. And the only way to find out terms of "their full 30 day warranty" is to send a prepaid envelope to their headquarters in Florida and they'll send it to you snail mail. Fortunately, I printed out copies of everything.

I don't understand why a retailer wouldn't give you an exchange if you're not satisfied with your purchase within 30 days or so. I've never heard of a retailer asking for a ticket number from the manufacturer of the product just to get an exchange within 30 days of purchase. If you're not satisfied with the TV, a exchange should be offered with no further questions asked within the exchange period of 30 days. Many people on this site go through many sets before settling on one and sometimes there isn't even a real problem with the TV, just picky customers.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am in the middle of trying to exchange. But TigerDirect wouldn't deal with me without a Sony ticket number (case number, support number).

Time to call your credit card's customer service department, they will go to bat for you. They've gotten me out of a pickle a few times. TigerDirect will perk right up afterwards.

And if you didn't use an actual credit card, make sure you do the next time, the consumer protection they offer is a necessity with high ticket items.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I don't understand why a retailer wouldn't give you an exchange if you're not satisfied with your purchase within 30 days or so. I've never heard of a retailer asking for a ticket number from the manufacturer of the product just to get an exchange within 30 days of purchase. If you're not satisfied with the TV, a exchange should be offered with no further questions asked within the exchange period of 30 days. Many people on this site go through many sets before settling on one and sometimes there isn't even a real problem with the TV, just picky customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetski71 View Post

Time to call your credit card's customer service department, they will go to bat for you. They've gotten me out of a pickle a few times. TigerDirect will perk right up afterwards.

And if you didn't use an actual credit card, make sure you do the next time, the consumer protection they offer is a necessity with high ticket items.

Well, it's a 30 day exchange for a defective item, so it sort of makes sense that they require some sort of proof. TigerDirect just "forgot" to state that requirement in the various iterations of the warranty they've tried to push on me. They tried to change the warranty terms 3 times before I received the TV. Before getting the TV, they basically ended up trying to say "if the box is damaged, don't sign for it and we'll exchange it. If you sign for it, we're done. Call Sony."

sjetski71: I'll keep the credit card company in mind.

But I would still like to hear if someone with edge lit LEDs has experienced or sees the shadows in the corner area of their screens in light scenes.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 PM

File a complaint with your credit card company. There's no way I would accept it. Keep at it until you can exchange or even get a refund.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page