Soap opera effect? Video ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone post a video or direct me to a link that actually shows what soap opera effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Have you ever watched a Soap Opera before? The more fluid picture that you see is what people are referring to with TV's.

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the picture look more real? Like watching a high def home movie? Are there people that leave their sets in this mode? Wouldn't it be a clearer picture?

That's wierd , I was at a big box retailer last week, and Bourne Identity was on all of the larger sets and it looked different , like it was more real like watching a movie but like I filmed it on a camcorder.. Is that soap opera effect? I have never seen a store set the display models like that
post #4 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post

Does the picture look more real? Like watching a high def home movie? Are there people that leave their sets in this mode? Wouldn't it be a clearer picture?

That's wierd , I was at a big box retailer last week, and Bourne Identity was on all of the larger sets and it looked different , like it was more real like watching a movie but like I filmed it on a camcorder.. Is that soap opera effect? I have never seen a store set the display models like that

Looking more real is subjective. It gives the picture that live, video-taped feel. Some like it, some absolutely hate it. Most sets will allow you to adjust to taste or turn it off all together.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post

Yeah, kinda. Someone can correct me, but it's essentially a different amounts of frames per second. 24 for standard cinema, vs 60 for soap opera and video cameras. And these more modern TV's do "frame interpolation" where they insert dummy frames in amongst the source frame.

There's loads of debate (even on here) about this. I'm kinda on the fence. It looks more realistic or something, but wrong at the same time. I turned it off on my TV and I think I'm happier.

------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Basically, it looks more like you're watching one of those 'making of' features instead of the actual movie itself. It doesn't have that 'film look' to it and looks much more like HD reality tv.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page