Europe/America electrical question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-21-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question regarding electrical properties of a TV set which I hope the experts of this forum will be able to answer.

I have a 3-year old Sony KDL40W4000 TV which is in perfect working condition. It was bought in Europe and, according to its specs, works with 220-240V 50hz electrical current.
Now, I'm moving back to Canada in a few months and since I thought it wouldn't work there, I've been looking to sell it. But the best price I saw someone get for the same model on a used goods site was 300CHF, whereas I paid 1350CHF for a new one, 3 years ago...

That's why I've been doing some more research on what it could take to make it work in Canada. I've found out there are step-up converters like this one which could be used to feed the TV with 240V current.
Where I'm not sure is whether the 50Hz frequency will be a problem or not. I'm talking about the electrical current powering the TV, and not the frequency of the TV signal; I'm using the TV as a HTPC monitor only, so the TV signal is a non-issue.
I've asked Sony support specifically for their opinion on this, and the only response I got was that Sony does not recommend using European devices in America, which I understand from an "official" point of view, but I'd still be interested in finding out what would really happen if I would plug it in a step-up converter in Canada.

So, I'm hoping the nice people of this forum can shed light on my issue. Recommendations are appreciated.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Should work, and if it doesn't I doubt it, it should not damage it.

technical answer: as long as the voltage is correct, that's all it should matter. Only very old (more than 20 years) equipment care about the 50/60hz frequency.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Frequency of mains is totally irrelevant as long as voltage/amperage is close to what's needed. However, most of Europe uses PAL/Secam not NTSC, so that could be an issue and also tuner will probably not work at all.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-23-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you both for your responses! I feel more confident that it will work in Canada.
Regarding the PAL/NTSC issue, as I mentioned in my original post I'm using the TV as a monitor for my PC, and it's connected with HDMI, so the encoding system is not an issue for me, as is the tuner.

So I'll just have to get a step-up converter that can handle at least three times my TV's wattage (which is 200W), and I should be fine.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page