Official Samsung UNXXEH6000 Owners' Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2561 Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We set up my Mother with a UN60EH6000F 3 weeks ago. It came with firmware version 1006. We updated it to 1008 this last weekend. She loves the TV and thought the picture looked better after the update. I will do the new 1012 version this weekend and take a calibration disk to dial it in.

Samsung 46A750, Panasonic BD35, Dish 722
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2561 Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 AM

Liked: 11
@bjfoien,

have the exact same tv, id love to know what your settings would be if you dont mind. color blind so i cant really calibrate. i hated it because i tried it last night with the WOW disc, and apparently i like fleshtones a bit greenish. biggrin.gif

thanks!
post #273 of 2561 Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
got this eh6000 last week from Best Buy. I really like the tv. I actually downgraded from a 47 inch LG, but the picture is like an upgrade. really like this tv. only thing that its missing which i'm really thinking hard about is 3D. does anyone here know how this would compare to a UN40ES6500? i would hate to return it to get this other tv and then not have as good of a picture.
post #274 of 2561 Old 06-07-2012, 12:03 PM

Just got this TV from best buy after my 2 year old (WTF????) Samsung 55" UN55B6000 died

Anyways, this took a little longer than that TV to set up but now I am extremely happy with it

First off my settings:

Using HDMI1 for DTV and HDMI 2 via AV Receiver for PS3 and Xbox 360

Mode: Standard
Game Mode: On for HDMI 2 input (consoles)
Backlight: 18-20 (I prefer 20 since I turn down the brightness)
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 37
Sharpness: 23
Color: 37 (gaming 45)
Tint: G50/R50
Color Space: Native
White Balance: Default
Gamma: 0
Dynamic Contrast: Off (Initially gives a pop but crushes blacks and blows out the whites - better to tweak with off)
Black Tone: Dark (nice little darkening without crushing any blacks in the spectrum)
Flesh Tone: 0
Motion Lighting: Off
Color Tone: Standard
Size: 16:9
Digital Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Normal (gaming with Full Color PS3 and Expanded on Xbox 360)
Film Mode: Off
Auto Motion: Clear / Gaming Off w/ Game mode on
LED Motion: Off

Before I get into the pro's and con's first a point about the Sharpness vs Digital Noise Filter settings. I went back and forth on this but in the end I think my settings give the best detail while mitigating aliasing and bringing out detail without too much digital interference
It seems Samsung dialed up the Sharpness on the default setting to create a super sharp 'cut' to images then dialed it down with the Digital Noise Filter...the result, a blocky, flat, detail-less image... Turning off the Filter gives you back the detail of HD and then turning the sharpness down until the background noise deteriorates to a point without blurring facial features is the best way to get a super image IMHO. You can go to 5 of 10 on the sharpness but then you lose definition and the image especially facial images become blurred as if viewed through a softening filter.

Now the pro's and cons'...

Pros:

Stylish, not some wonky silver futuristic chrome crap with a stand from space
Excellent Blacks, probably the best I've seen on any HDTV LED LCD
No Clouding or Flashlighting at all (this was very pervasive on my other TV)
- I always think the TV is off now when there is a fade to black - AWESOMENESS!!!
Very crisp sharp picture once "dialed in"
Nice 'through the window' effect - due to small bezel and forward thrusting stand, 60" in your face even at 10 feet - sweet
Bright and vibrant colors
Better motion and less artifacting (screen door effect than previous TV)
Hate soap opera effect, luckily can turn off
Size is perfect...the thickness, who cares, looks better than my 'ultra thin' from the front is all I care about, plus I'm on the stand

Cons:

Somewhat smallish viewing angle. My guess is about 30 degrees to either side from eye level center screen before picture starts to fade (no biggie head on)
Not an IPS panel like my other Samsung edge lit TV, loved that feature but I guess its a sacrifice necessary for the Direct lit full array, I'll take the Direct lit since I don't watch my TV at an angle
Issue with Xbox 360 and HDMI / HDCP handshake - had to turn off display discovery on Xbox and all is fine now - otherwise signal might not be recognized as it was passed through receiver
Slight purplish edge trailing on small number of instances, mainly in dark scenes, only notice it if I'm being super anal and look for it

Other than that I'm happy with the TV and it's price bang for the buck

I'm still pissed my other Samsung died so early but what are you gonna do...made in Tijuana says it all smile.gif

Note to new users...you NEED to calibrate this TV properly, regardless of what you read about the picture out of the box being 'perfect', it needs tweaking, but once you're there.. it's awesome
post #275 of 2561 Old 06-07-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chughes737 View Post

Slight purplish edge trailing on small number of instances, mainly in dark scenes, only notice it if I'm being super anal and look for it

Judging by your settings, you enjoy the same kind of picture I do, so it's heartening to see that you witness the same purple trails. I'm pretty sure it's a failure of the panel, and perhaps it's worse on mine, but it's unbearable in dark scenes, like Peter Parker vs. Harry near the beginning of Spider-Man 3. I can get rid of it by turning Brightness up to about 55, but then everything's washed out.

My mind is made up; I'm returning the TV this weekend, and perhaps going with an ST50.

My CNET thread about all this, for anyone's edification:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-565010/is-purple-image-trailing-normal-on-un60eh6000fxza/?tag=contentBody;threadListing
post #276 of 2561 Old 06-07-2012, 08:22 PM

kehakas do you have any images of this problem? so far my set its the 55 inch havent noticed anything like this..kindly post some pics so we can also see this,,thank you.
post #277 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehakas View Post

Judging by your settings, you enjoy the same kind of picture I do, so it's heartening to see that you witness the same purple trails. I'm pretty sure it's a failure of the panel, and perhaps it's worse on mine, but it's unbearable in dark scenes, like Peter Parker vs. Harry near the beginning of Spider-Man 3. I can get rid of it by turning Brightness up to about 55, but then everything's washed out.
My mind is made up; I'm returning the TV this weekend, and perhaps going with an ST50.
My CNET thread about all this, for anyone's edification:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-565010/is-purple-image-trailing-normal-on-un60eh6000fxza/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

Crap, now ya got me thinking about taking mine back too...

I went and messed around with every source I could find and they all do it.

Here's a clip I recorded from the PS3

Please excuse the video quality, it was in low light and from my camera phone while I was filming and trying to demo the effect

Watch the pillar in the center of the screen, this gives the best visual representation of the purple trail effect

You can also see it around the main character as I pan around the screen
post #278 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 01:54 AM

Liked: 12
Is that game max payne 3? I havent noticed any purple trailing yet on my screen but I think its the limitation of the slower VA panel used on the EH series as compared to the D series.
post #279 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 02:13 AM

Uncharted 3

I'm torn, I love the picture for everything else but this trailing thing is bugging me now...

Not sure whether to just deal with it or get the Sony 929 and be done with it
post #280 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 823
I cant get sound through my receiver unless I keep the tv on. This was not the case with my LG 47LH90 with the exact same setup so I know that it is something to do with the tv. I have the 60eh6000 and a Yamaha RX-V467 5.1 HDMI receiver. I like to listen to Pandora through my LG internet blu ray player and have no reason to keep the tv on. I know I can turn the display off through the "Energy Saver" settings but I would prefer to just turn it off entirely. Any thoughts? I also have two half circle shadows in the right side of the screen that go from top to bottom. Looks like two parentheses (( but about 2 inches wide. Somewhat difficult to see from straight on but obvious from the side. Particularly on a light colored screen. I am hoping this will go away but I wouldn't bet on it. I havehad the tv for about a week and there are no signs of it getting any better. I have the 6/1/12 update installed not that it would really matter.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #281 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Please excuse the video quality, it was in low light and from my camera phone while I was filming and trying to demo the effect
Watch the pillar in the center of the screen, this gives the best visual representation of the purple trail effect

wow you guys are very keen to these things....i can barely tell there was a purple trail but I probably wouldn't have even noticed if you didn't point it out.
post #282 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Cnet just posted settings for the UN46EH6000. Any idea if these would translate well to a 60"? Also I can't change HDMI black level its greyed out.
post #283 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambonea4d View Post

Cnet just posted settings for the UN46EH6000. Any idea if these would translate well to a 60"? Also I can't change HDMI black level its greyed out.

do you mind if you can post the settings link on here?

maybe your hdmi black level is greyed out due to game mode and/or you are set on dynamic mode?

im sorry but i cant find the settings on cnet, may i request a link? thank you Mr. Rambonea4d!
post #284 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 09:55 AM

post #285 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks for posting that video. Of all my frenzied internet research into this issue, your reports of having the same issue have been most useful. I did the same thing: reproduced it on multiple sources (coax, HDMI, PC, USB stick). Also, am I crazy, or can you not adjust video settings when you play from a USB stick? Seems lame.

My next choices are either the 60ST50 Panasonic plasma, or a (likely refurbished, because it's two years old) Sharp LC60E88UN, because I've heard wonderful things about that TV and its X-Gen panel.
post #286 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Did you guys check out CNet's rating for this set.. Doesnt seem to be very good
post #287 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 10:53 AM

Had to repost this reply again, must be the forum upgrade.

anyways, in a nutshell, ive noticed Gexxy and syntax's settings contrast standing at 100, as well as cnets settings. Im just worried that this would introduce crushed blacks.

will try to calibrate mine based on Mr. Rambonea4d's cnet posting, and will see what i can do with it. i also copied my settings in my other samsung, just to get a baseline. in no manner is this a professional calibration, just something i am working with.

Still appreciate Mr. syntax and Gexxy's original postings.
post #288 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehakas View Post

Thanks for posting that video. Of all my frenzied internet research into this issue, your reports of having the same issue have been most useful. I did the same thing: reproduced it on multiple sources (coax, HDMI, PC, USB stick). Also, am I crazy, or can you not adjust video settings when you play from a USB stick? Seems lame.
My next choices are either the 60ST50 Panasonic plasma, or a (likely refurbished, because it's two years old) Sharp LC60E88UN, because I've heard wonderful things about that TV and its X-Gen panel.

No problem,

amazing this went missed for so long...

Back to best buy I go...
post #289 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid1991 View Post

Did you guys check out CNet's rating for this set.. Doesnt seem to be very good

Thanks for the link...wish I would have seen that before the glowing reviews
post #290 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:

No problem,
amazing this went missed for so long...
Back to best buy I go...

so your taking it back b/c of the purple shadow? i watched the video and really didn't see anything.
post #291 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 AM

i just watched the Euro Cup not giving this tv in no for anything i just fixed my colors and couldnt be more pleased with results...
post #292 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 11:46 AM

I would like to know what Firmware version CNET's eh6000 had, 1006, 1008, or 1012?

Samsung 46A750, Panasonic BD35, Dish 722
post #293 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM

i have the latest firmware upgraded 1012,,,very pleased with it,,,im very picky also but i just watched the Euro Cup like i mentioned before and something small wont make me return it,,i havent come across this so i wont comment and say something bad,,if you guys have problems with it then u should return it its your right..but all in all im happy with my 55 inch.
post #294 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 11:56 AM

I definitely notice the purple shadows in his video, but I have never noticed it on my set. I'll see if I can simulate the lighting in a game with my xbox tonight and try to reproduce it. I play call of duty / halo at least once a week though with my cousin with all the lights off sitting about 4 feet from the TV and have never noticed it.
post #295 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax53 View Post

I definitely notice the purple shadows in his video, but I have never noticed it on my set. I'll see if I can simulate the lighting in a game with my xbox tonight and try to reproduce it. I play call of duty / halo at least once a week though with my cousin with all the lights off sitting about 4 feet from the TV and have never noticed it.

yeah im playing Max Payne 3 right now and I haven't noticed anything weird. i'm really happy with this set. i almost exchanged it out for the EH5050 but I don't think i'm going to. costco had it on such a good sale that i would have saved me over $100
post #296 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Let me clarify...

I still love the TV

But the purple trailing issue only rears its head under very specific conditions.

I have only seen this when a dark object passes in front of a lighter or grayer background

I am still on the fence about taking it back. The Cnet/Samsung Brand Ambassador said it's not normal and that they were looking into the issue

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-565065/new-un60eh6000fxza-purple-trailing-images/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

I may give it a couple days while I'm still in my return window to see if they can come up with a firmware fix.

Try these settings and watch these examples: the Beginning of XMEN First Act: the entire opening scene has purple trailing, Uncharted 3 Streets of London, The Matrix BluRay scene at the end where the phone drops as the Agent Shoots at Trinity , as the phone is swinging you see the trails

Mode: Standard
Game Mode: On for HDMI 2 input (consoles)
Backlight: 18-20 (I prefer 20 since I turn down the brightness)
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 37
Sharpness: 23
Color: 37 (gaming 45)
Tint: G50/R50
Color Space: Native
White Balance: Default
Gamma: 0
Dynamic Contrast: Off (Initially gives a pop but crushes blacks and blows out the whites - better to tweak with off)
Black Tone: Dark (nice little darkening without crushing any blacks in the spectrum)
Flesh Tone: 0
Motion Lighting: Off
Color Tone: Standard
Size: 16:9
Digital Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Normal (gaming with Full Color PS3 and Expanded on Xbox 360)
Film Mode: Off
Auto Motion: Clear / Gaming Off w/ Game mode on
LED Motion: Off
post #297 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 12:12 PM

i also play nhl 2012 on my ps3 i really havent noticed,,anything and you know i wont search for it,,,like i said before if it would bother me also i would have changed it also,but sorry guys i havent the reason ,,,i will add more setting tweaks in the settings page i will just edit the post when im done..
post #298 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 08:25 PM

I wound up taking the unit back

I played the customer service guys the video and said they had reports of the issue and had one other person bring theirs back for the very same reason

Oh well, It would have been great had I not noticed that little flaw...I hate being so friggin anal retentive, OCD, Typa A sometimes
post #299 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 09:01 PM

chughes737 just played nhl all over hadnt noticed anything,,sorry you brought yours back its a great set..
post #300 of 2561 Old 06-08-2012, 09:07 PM

yeah i would have just got a replacement and tried another one. looks to be very few people having any issues.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55eh6000 Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un46eh6000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 40 Inch Led 3d Hdtv Un40eh6030 , Samsung Ln46c630 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page