Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 2567 Old 11-24-2012, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchm3 View Post

What Panel version do you guys have and did you get the best buy 6001 version?

The 40" version I got is the 6000 model and has a TS02 panel, according to the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2567 Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 AM

Well, I've tested it with some DVDs and so far haven't noticed any of the nonsense I noticed last night. Maybe it was just a bad signal source?

I don't see any strange banding or hotspots, picture seems uniform and color rendition seems good (to my untrained eye, at least)

I can't really decide whether it is worth taking it back and exchanging for the Aquos. I wish I had some HD sources to test with (only have an OTA antenna, no bluray or anything).

Perhaps my verdict last night was hasty, with the DVDs I've tried so far I am not seeing the screen tear I was seeing last night. I even replayed the same scenes in Terminator 2 that were causing the problems. Don't know what could account for that other than just a crappy cable signal? Something in it was giving the TV fits, that is for sure.
post #993 of 2567 Old 11-24-2012, 12:47 PM

Its not that bad, u just have to get the settings right. It's great for 800. If you want awesome picture quality it will cost more, u are paying 800 not 1500
post #994 of 2567 Old 11-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Hey fellas, I purchased the Samsung UN46EH6030FXZA and so far I have been disappointed with the picture quality.

The TV looks great when I'm using my PS3 and playing Black Ops II, but when watching regular HDTV such as Sports and other movies the picture quality is really fuzzy.

It looks considerably worse than my old LNT4053H from 2007 and also another Samsung 6 Series we have in the living room.

I've tried messing with the picture, changed HDMI cables and I still can't get rid of the fuzzy picture quality. Is anyone else having the same problem? I checked for Firmware updates and there were none.

Someone posted earlier in this thread to make sure to get the latest batch and I did.

Any ideas?
post #995 of 2567 Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 PM

Well, I'm thinking about taking the Samsung back and swapping it for the 60" Aquos.
I haven't noticed any more screen tearing with the testing I did, but I preferred the Aquos picture. I don't know if I preferred it $400 more, though.
post #996 of 2567 Old 11-24-2012, 07:03 PM

that's what I'm thinking too. Its 800 good, not the original 1400 they list as "original price" good.

I didn't want to spend any more because I barely use it and I have a project and screen set up in the other room.

i've tried a couple of the different settings from that earlier excel spreadsheet and am pretty happy with a few of them. just have to deice which one I want to stick with.

the "standard" one from the Gexxxy has the best flesh tones when watching "The Fifth Element". The movie one ended up being a bit dark and a little too "red"

One thing I will say, sound sucks, hahaha. Guess you HAVE to buy one of those sound bars or surround setups
post #997 of 2567 Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p51mustang View Post

Well, I'm thinking about taking the Samsung back and swapping it for the 60" Aquos.
I haven't noticed any more screen tearing with the testing I did, but I preferred the Aquos picture. I don't know if I preferred it $400 more, though.

I've decided that for what I paid, it is not a bad TV provided I don't see any more of the screen tearing. I don't think I will, I think it was just a really poor signal on that channel, I haven't noticed it with any of the DVDs I've played or any of the HD content that I was able to find.

For the difference in price between the 60" Aquos and this, I could just about get an xbox 360 and ps3 (since I don't have a blu-ray player I may just get a ps3).

I'm happy with the color rendition, and there are no funky banding or hotspotting problems.
THX 1138 looked really good in HD, I wish I had more HD stuff to test with. Haven't tried OTA yet I need to get an Antenna to hook to it (doesn't seem to have much of an internal antenna).

If I really need the extra HDMI ports, I can pick up a switch box for $50 or so.

Sorry if I spooked anyone that ordered this, hook it up and give it a chance, you may need to tweak the settings if you don't like the look that all the motion processing gives the picture ( I don't personally care much for it).
post #998 of 2567 Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:

I've decided that for what I paid, it is not a bad TV provided I don't see any more of the screen tearing. I don't think I will, I think it was just a really poor signal on that channel, I haven't noticed it with any of the DVDs I've played or any of the HD content that I was able to find.
For the difference in price between the 60" Aquos and this, I could just about get an xbox 360 and ps3 (since I don't have a blu-ray player I may just get a ps3).
I'm happy with the color rendition, and there are no funky banding or hotspotting problems.
THX 1138 looked really good in HD, I wish I had more HD stuff to test with. Haven't tried OTA yet I need to get an Antenna to hook to it (doesn't seem to have much of an internal antenna).
If I really need the extra HDMI ports, I can pick up a switch box for $50 or so.
Sorry if I spooked anyone that ordered this, hook it up and give it a chance, you may need to tweak the settings if you don't like the look that all the motion processing gives the picture ( I don't personally care much for it).

Tearing is usually from the source material and I believe it's tied to it being compressed to much. Back when U-verse was first launching in many markets tearing was a big complaint due to their high compression techniques used to fit HD bandwidth on OLD copper wiring designed for telephone use. This compression can vary from one show to another on the same Network believe it or not. Compression also varies from one channel to another as well.

Another example of bad compression was a few years ago during March Madness when CBS aired all of the games on their Network alone. They had to heavily compress those games during the early rounds as there quality was much worse than how the games looked come Elite 8 and Final 4. Therefore my theory held true in that scenario as well. SD material is by far the worst to measure an HD's set's capabilities with because with a bad signal (i.e. SD) and a large HD display the poor image quality stands out even more. Pick up an inexpensive blu-ray player and a blu-ray movie and judge off of that.
post #999 of 2567 Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post

that's what I'm thinking too. Its 800 good, not the original 1400 they list as "original price" good.
I didn't want to spend any more because I barely use it and I have a project and screen set up in the other room.
i've tried a couple of the different settings from that earlier excel spreadsheet and am pretty happy with a few of them. just have to deice which one I want to stick with.
the "standard" one from the Gexxxy has the best flesh tones when watching "The Fifth Element". The movie one ended up being a bit dark and a little too "red"
One thing I will say, sound sucks, hahaha. Guess you HAVE to buy one of those sound bars or surround setups

Yep for $799 it is ok but since I know that for $879 I could have gotten a much better TV, I would be living with buyer's remorse for as long as I owned the 6001. Hence returning was a better option as the 50" and 55" EH6000 were sold out and the 6030, though available, has a glossy screen

BTW I would not take a reviewer who raves about the SQ of the down firing speakers of this TV very seriously smile.gif Heck my old 24" SONY WEGA has better speakers than the speakers in any of the LCD/LED/Plasma TV's. LOL. I am having a hard time selling that CRT TV. I also dont want to just throw it away, giving an impression to the neighbors that I am very wealthy smile.gif

I am going to have a chat with the BB guys about ordering the UN55EH600 for the same price but only if they can guarantee that the version number will be TSXX or THXX. They were willing to order one when I talked to them a couple of days back (when the EH6000 was sold out). But I didnt talk about the version number. It is not going to be easy to convince them or communicate to them the special requirement as they are so ignorant about all these version issues. Basically I want the PQ of my 46" SONY EX400 in a 55"

I am a believer to some extent in Astrology. Since Susan Miller's prediction (www.astrologyzone.com) that buying any electronic or other stuff during this period will not be favorable, I have to wail till Dec to make an order smile.gif
post #1000 of 2567 Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Yep for $799 it is ok but since I know that for $879 I could have gotten a much better TV, I would be living with buyer's remorse for as long as I owned the 6001. Hence returning was a better option as the 50" and 55" EH6000 were sold out and the 6030, though available, has a glossy screen
BTW I would not take a reviewer who raves about the SQ of the down firing speakers of this TV very seriously smile.gif Heck my old 24" SONY WEGA has better speakers than the speakers in any of the LCD/LED/Plasma TV's. LOL. I am having a hard time selling that CRT TV. I also dont want to just throw it away, giving an impression to the neighbors that I am very wealthy smile.gif
I am going to have a chat with the BB guys about ordering the UN55EH600 for the same price but only if they can guarantee that the version number will be TSXX or THXX. They were willing to order one when I talked to them a couple of days back (when the EH6000 was sold out). But I didnt talk about the version number. It is not going to be easy to convince them or communicate to them the special requirement as they are so ignorant about all these version issues. Basically I want the PQ of my 46" SONY EX400 in a 55"
I am a believer to some extent in Astrology. Since Susan Miller's prediction (www.astrologyzone.com) that buying any electronic or other stuff during this period will not be favorable, I have to wail till Dec to make an order smile.gif

So which TV for $879 is the better TV, If I may ask? Another Samsung, or some other brand? I honestly don't think the picture is bad on this TV, but then I'm coming from a 32" Sharp Aquos. I guess I still have until Jan 24 to make up my mind, I'm sure there will be a Christmas sale before then.
post #1001 of 2567 Old 11-24-2012, 09:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsalvioutlawx View Post

Hey fellas, I purchased the Samsung UN46EH6030FXZA and so far I have been disappointed with the picture quality.
The TV looks great when I'm using my PS3 and playing Black Ops II, but when watching regular HDTV such as Sports and other movies the picture quality is really fuzzy.
It looks considerably worse than my old LNT4053H from 2007 and also another Samsung 6 Series we have in the living room.
I've tried messing with the picture, changed HDMI cables and I still can't get rid of the fuzzy picture quality. Is anyone else having the same problem? I checked for Firmware updates and there were none.
Someone posted earlier in this thread to make sure to get the latest batch and I did.
Any ideas?

Are you watching channels like fox and abc for your sports? those channels are 720p and generally look like garbage compared to video games/blu-rays. Comcast in general has very compressed and disappointing picture on all channels. If your picture is really soft, what picture mode are you in? Sharpness can actually make the picture worse if you get above 20 because it crushes detail. Also make sure digital noise filter and mpeg noise filter are off, they also eliminate fine detail.
post #1002 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 12:45 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Any ideas?

Is this the bestbuy BF promo model? That is, the $650 3D TV? I was going to ask about it.

I was hoping to make the jump to 3D with this affordable model, but so far have not read any detailed, positive reviews for this particular model.
post #1003 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 02:29 AM

It is the Black Friday 3D model that is $650 at Bestbuy.

I have Dish Network and I'm using my other two Samsung TV's as comparisons for picture quality. I have no issues of fuzzyness on the other two when watching NBA/NFL games as I do with this new TV. It actually looks really bad when compared to the other two Samsungs in my home.

I've tried pretty much every setting I can think of and it hasn't made it any better. I changed the settings you suggested as well and still the same. I've messed with the Dish box settings and also changed HDMI cables and no dice.

My PS3 looks amazing on it, but watching HDTV just doens't look like it should. When watching football games and basketball you can see a very fuzzy picture, but when they zoom in on the players it looks a lot better.

I'm pretty stumped at this point. I'm not TV expert, but with my other TV's a few simple tweaks on the picture settings and they were good to go.

I have another 46" Samsung 6 series from last year that just looks so much better for whatever reason. It has the soap opera effect, but I actually like that and it looks like this TV is incapable of having that effect.

I'm almost to the point that I might return this TV and go for something else around the same price range.
post #1004 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 AM

Can anyone analyze this product revision code: UN60EH6000FXZC?
post #1005 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:

So which TV for $879 is the better TV, If I may ask? Another Samsung, or some other brand? I honestly don't think the picture is bad on this TV, but then I'm coming from a 32" Sharp Aquos. I guess I still have until Jan 24 to make up my mind, I'm sure there will be a Christmas sale before then.

As noted by a couple others previously, (see page 32) the differences in the 2 models (UN55EH6001 & UN55EH6000) are very slight and vary in the component and composite jacks available. From my understanding, unless you're using an old school VCR unit, you don't need the composite jack anyway. Also the EH6001 doesn't have a lighted remote. Otherwise, it's the exact same set with the UN55EH6001 being made for BB as an "exclusive" much like the equal Costco UN55EH6050 is they also have on special. From the BB website, you can check the specs:

Model: UN55EH6000FXZA (SKU: 4834412) $879.99 Regular Sale Price
Inputs: Include 2 HDMI, 1 component video and 1 composite.

Model: UN55EH6001FXZA (SKU: 6846823) $799.99 Black Friday Price
Inputs: Include 2 HDMI and 1 component video.

So here's my 2 cents worth of personal opinion...after much consideration (and ad nauseum debate with myself for the last 7 days) about the panel discussion in this great informative thread, I went back to my local BB yesterday afternoon and pulled the trigger on the UN55EH6001 model noted above at $799 partially because of the extended return policy until January 24th but mostly because of the price. (insert cheap bastard disclaimer here) In spite of what I have read from this thread, I couldn't resist the $799 price tag and I grabbed an AH01 panel (instead of a CH01 panel, the only choices) figuring the worst case scenario was to return it.

All I can say is perhaps I'm partially blind and/or exceedingly numb (both distinct possibilities!) but the set has far exceeded my expectations already and I'm personally tickled pink with it! I messed with the settings using various suggestions posted on here (Thanks to all who posted them!!) and then tweaked them to my personal viewing tastes and it's simply gorgeous. Quite honestly, it really wasn't even that "bad" coming right out of the box when I turned it on! I have none of the aforementioned issues except for some very slight soap opera effect while watching a DVD (on a crappy and old $20 unit using an RCA connection I might add) which I'm still working on the settings for and need to read back on suggestions posted on here. (I'm sure a decent DVD/BR player and HDMI connection would help). Quite accidentally, I set the sound to 'movie' mode and it was more than fine for me. Sure, external speakers would be better but no way would I call it bad sound from the set once you tweak the settings.

At the moment, I'm still playing around with the settings for my personal tastes and I'm going to download and update the software but overall I'm more than pleased with my purchase. I have nothing but OTA broadcast (in HD) so there's no rabbit up my sleeve here, Rocky! I'm nothing but a novice first timer with these flat screen LED TVs but for the average Joe like me, looking for a quality picture with no frills, this baby ROCKS!

On a silly side note, I was sitting literally right in front of the set yesterday afternoon as I scanned for local channels and it just happened to pop up a college football game on CBS showing a close-up replay of a HUGE defensive hit and I about jumped out of seat to avoid the tackle!! Wow!!

Seriously, $800 for 55" of Samsung LED 1080p at 120hz?!? SOLD!
post #1006 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 06:05 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by avidracer View Post

as a follow up to my earlier post, I must say I am thoroughly dissapointed thus far with the TV. My 6 years old samsung 40lnt61f reproduces better colors that this. The 65unex6000 cannot hold up against it no matter what type of media I throw at them.

That's disappointing, I have one coming on Tuesday.
However, you didn't say if you tweaked anything, or followed some of the settings others were posting to try?
Kind of unfair to come here and knock it and not tell us why or what you tried, and dismiss it as inferior right away.

I want a good 65" for my family room and don't want to spend 5000 for the Sony 950, so thought I'd give this one a shot.
If anyone has an idea for another good 65" please let me know, just n case this one doesn't work out.
post #1007 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

Is this the bestbuy BF promo model? That is, the $650 3D TV? I was going to ask about it.
I was hoping to make the jump to 3D with this affordable model, but so far have not read any detailed, positive reviews for this particular model.

As mentioned in another post, the $879 price is for the UN55EH6000 model but it is out of stock.

Like I said before, for $799 the UN55EH6001 model may be ok and also if you dont compare it with anything else, it may be ok. The only channel I could tolerate was CNN HD. It just didnt have the sharpness, especially for non HD channels. If you are only watching Blu-Ray then it may be ok. Like I said before, I watch a lot of cable and so cable performance is very important to me. Sometimes the commercials even on CHN HD had that soft look. Dont know if this is the Soap Opera Effect.

It all depends on your level of expectation. Even though my front projector is 480p (Infocus IN72), it is very sharp no matter what source I use. I still have it (after some 6300 hrs) as a backup TV in case my 45' SONY EX400 dies.

If I had a chance to look at it at the store, may be I would not have bought the 6001 model. So BB deserves a return for not displaying the unit they are selling. They also dont have the UN55EH6000 on display but at least they have the UN50EH6000 on display and it looked pretty sharp. In fact I liked it better than the 50" or 51" Samsung plasma they had above the UN50EH6000. The glossy screen on the plasma was just not acceptable. I guess the 6030 model does not use a screen as glossy as the plasma? But judging from the way the sales guys at BB referred to that model (6030) like " oh you mean the one which has a glossy screen?", I was hesitant to get that unseen even though it is still available. It is also more expensive ($950 + tax+ product protection). I didnt want to return another TV to BB. So I put an end to my Thanksgiving TV buying fiasco smile.gif But I picked up the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray player for $99. It has very good reviews like the 210 model. Have not set it up yet.

I am curious to go to BB and see how many Samsung LCD/LED TV's people have returned. Even on BF I saw 3 of them returned (2 55" including mine and 1 46"). I bet those are guys who hang out at AVS smile.gif I guess most people were getting it mainly because it is Samsumg and it is/was $799 and that big lot was sitting at at the entrance to the store. So you cant go without noticing it. The more expensive, unseen/undisplayed model like 6030 is still available.

BTW one guy made a remark that it is a great TV when I was hauling the UN55EH6001 out of BB. So it all depends on your expectations for the money and what you are comparing. I didnt buy my SONY 46" EX400 after any research. I just saw that side by side at BB some 2 yrs ago and it was an impromptu decision just based on visual comparison. It had that black level and contrast that attracted me like a bee attracted to honey.

In my opinion, unless this outsourcing crap stops and all panels are made in USA at one place with the same quality control, we are going to face such disparity in the quality/performance for a long time. I just read the news that in Bangladesh alone, there are some 4000 shops that male clothing for the west! In all probability Samsung or any other manufacturer is only spending a couple of hundred bucks to make those TV's but sell it at a huge profit margin. Otherwise how do you think BB can make a profit by selling them at 50% of MSRP, I bet only some Doctor or Lawyer would buy these TV's at full MSRP during regular days. They probably sell more of them during Nov-Dec than the rest of the year combined. I know someone (a Doctor) who paid $500 just to get the Plasma TV and DVD player installed using those Red/White cables! I told to myself that I would have done it for free if they had spent just a few bucks to get better cables from Monoprice.

Anyway....Dont get discouraged by my rant. You have the 30 day return. So try it out. If they had caused trouble with my return, I would have said that it was their fault for not displaying the unit at the store.
post #1008 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks for all your detailed reviews, everyone. I was interested in the $650 46" 3D Tv from samsung, but I know a lot of people were after the $800 55" from samsung as well. The 55" is too large for my room; the 46" I believe, hits the sweet spot in size.

After having read these latest reviews however, I suppose I'm surprised, even taken aback, by the lukewarm reviews for the latest lcd/led tech from samsung.

I suppose I'm also slightly relieved, as my samsung 40" looks fantastic, which has perhaps relatively minor problems which I suppose I don't even notice anymore.

I know I can't generalize from the few reviews here, but it seems as if tv tech has more or less reached a performance ceiling and the "new" tech is new for the sake of being new, without necessarily offering improvements in PQ. After all, led 1080p doesn't offer any increase in resolution over lcd 1080p.
post #1009 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all your detailed reviews, everyone. I was interested in the $650 46" 3D Tv from samsung, but I know a lot of people were after the $800 55" from samsung as well. The 55" is too large for my room; the 46" I believe, hits the sweet spot in size.
After having read these latest reviews however, I suppose I'm surprised, even taken aback, by the lukewarm reviews for the latest lcd/led tech from samsung.
I suppose I'm also slightly relieved, as my samsung 40" looks fantastic, which has perhaps relatively minor problems which I suppose I don't even notice anymore.
I know I can't generalize from the few reviews here, but it seems as if tv tech has more or less reached a performance ceiling and the "new" tech is new for the sake of being new, without necessarily offering improvements in PQ. After all, led 1080p doesn't offer any increase in resolution over lcd 1080p.

Yeah you may be right. They are mainly interested in adding more bells and whistles and making the TV as thin as possible, than focus on consistent performance among TV's made at different locations. It is also due to demand. People want something cheap but with tons of features. It is the same with front projectors too. All the low end cheapo ones always have some issues.

If BB had displayed the UN55EH6030, I would not have hesitated to buy it even though it is a bit more expensive. $950 for the 6030 is not a whole lot more than the $879 for the 6000 model, but I like to see it before I buy it.
post #1010 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post

That's disappointing, I have one coming on Tuesday.
However, you didn't say if you tweaked anything, or followed some of the settings others were posting to try?
Kind of unfair to come here and knock it and not tell us why or what you tried, and dismiss it as inferior right away.
I want a good 65" for my family room and don't want to spend 5000 for the Sony 950, so thought I'd give this one a shot.
If anyone has an idea for another good 65" please let me know, just n case this one doesn't work out.

I am sorry if I have hurt anyone that has been trying to help others. What I mean to say was after trying each of the setting values as provided by chughes737, Gexxxy, Syntax53, jomari, doggghouse and scrambler3 - comparing then simultaneously side by side (form my yamaha -A1000 avr with 2 HDMI out) the much older 40LNT61f looks stunning. The UN63EH6000 looks very washed out, less vibrant. I did not mean disrespect to any of the above contributors, just my experience to help others that might be contemplating buying this 65 inch model. It is better to look elsewhere or wait for next year samsung model to see if they put some more effort outside of their mobile devices and come up with good products (like the old 40in tv I have).
post #1011 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 12:35 PM

Hey Everyone,
I just pulled the trigger on a new 46 inch EH6000 over the weekend. As usual I come here for the real scoop. When I got home I checked my version CS01 and did some additional searching. I didn't realize there was a difference between panel manufacturers.

I can't see from the thread exactly what the trouble is with the CS version. Lots on the CH.

So here is my questions:

1) has anyone done a side by side with the samsung panel against the other panels?

2) What are the differences? Or is it just there is a higher chance of having a "bad panel"

3) Is it worth holding the box unopend and searching for a samsung version?

Thanks
post #1012 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 02:59 PM

Was very close to buying the Samsung UN46EH6030FXZA the other day. I held off as I didn't want to impulse buy and wanted to do at least a little bit of research first. Also, the box looked like a couple of baby gorillas had played bouncey house on it for a few hours, so that probably didn't help bby's cause at all.

Based on past year's trends, will it be on sale again around christmas or new year's for around the same price of $650?

Also, what are my chances of actually seeing a demo model on the floor at some point?
post #1013 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
People need to keep in mind that the different panels are just different LCD technologies. S-PVA, S-MVA, A-MVA, ASV, etc.

If you get a certain panel it doesn't mean the panel is "junk/garbage", "defective", or "bad" and needs to be replaced/returned. It just means it got a panel with a certain LCD tech in it.

It's not like Chi Mei and AU Optronics just pump out bad panels from some shady factory. These are BIG companies and are some of the largest LCD producers worldwide.

There is no perfect panel, and LCDs all have their pros and cons. The reason people like the S-PVAs on these current Samsungs is because, at the moment, they have more a bit more pros and less cons over the other panel techs. That could change though in the future, and the other companies could leapfrog them and come out with a better performing panel.
post #1014 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Great points, chicolm. It's worth keeping in mind that lcd panels in general have inherent strengths and weaknesses, first of all, compared to CRT and plasma.

Second, these tv's have so many different settings (several for frame interpolation in particular) and are used with so many different forms of media (broadcast tv, cable, satellite, blu ray dvd, games, etc.), I become a bit suspicious when I read reports that claim that the picture is inherently "soft" or "fuzzy" or that the picture breaks up constantly.

I don't know why people are so quick to blame one link in the chain, when there are so many. Yes, the tv image is the final link in the chain, but could not possibly be the only possible source of issues.
post #1015 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 05:11 PM

chicolm, johncourt

Thanks for the info. Makes sense... at the end of the day any supplier has to meet Samsung's specs. Also, my untrained eye probably couldn't tell the difference. So I'll stick with my CS01 and judge on the set in total and not try to play panel roulette!.

Thanks!
post #1016 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Great points, chicolm. It's worth keeping in mind that lcd panels in general have inherent strengths and weaknesses, first of all, compared to CRT and plasma.
Second, these tv's have so many different settings (several for frame interpolation in particular) and are used with so many different forms of media (broadcast tv, cable, satellite, blu ray dvd, games, etc.), I become a bit suspicious when I read reports that claim that the picture is inherently "soft" or "fuzzy" or that the picture breaks up constantly.
I don't know why people are so quick to blame one link in the chain, when there are so many. Yes, the tv image is the final link in the chain, but could not possibly be the only possible source of issues.

I agree with all of this. I don't know how anyone can make judgements about the picture quality based off a source like Cable and not hooked up to a PC or Blu-Ray player looking at consistent images at native resolution. When people say the picture is soft or fuzzy, that doesn't mean anything to me because I don't know if their source is fuzzy.

I have a suspicion that a lot of the people that complain that the picture is "washed out" are people who haven't changed the Black Level setting to "low". Mine was set to "Normal" by default which looks for 0-255 levels, but that is not the correct setting for the majority of sources that uses 16-235 video levels. If you don't set the black level to "low" it will always looked washed out with a 16-235 source (which most sources are).

This should only be a concern if you have a RGB signal at 16-235. A YCbCr signal should grey out the black level option because the TV knows it is a 16-235 signal and sets the black level to "low" automatically. So if your black level is greyed out, don't worry about it.
post #1017 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 06:11 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
I have a suspicion that a lot of the people that complain that the picture is "washed out" are people who haven't changed the Black Level setting to "low". Mine was set to "Normal" by default which looks for 0-255 levels, but that is not the correct setting for the majority of sources that uses 16-235 video levels. If you don't set the black level to "low" it will always looked washed out with a 16-235 source (which most sources are).

I just picked up the UN55EH6000 today from BB. I've played with a few of the settings so far, based on posts in this forum. I've found your settings in Movie mode to be the best so far. I have to ask, how do you get the black level option to show up? Right now it's grayed out and I'm unable to change it.
post #1018 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Liked: 14
Looking at the 65" EH6000 at best Buy today. For "Version" on the box, they all had MH01. Any idea which type of panel is MH01, and made by whom?
post #1019 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacketHauler View Post

I just picked up the UN55EH6000 today from BB. I've played with a few of the settings so far, based on posts in this forum. I've found your settings in Movie mode to be the best so far. I have to ask, how do you get the black level option to show up? Right now it's grayed out and I'm unable to change it.

If it is greyed out, then that means the TV is receiving a YCbCr source with 16-235 levels and the TV automatically has the black level set to "Low" and greys out the controls.
post #1020 of 2567 Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:

It is the Black Friday 3D model that is $650 at Bestbuy.
I have Dish Network and I'm using my other two Samsung TV's as comparisons for picture quality. I have no issues of fuzzyness on the other two when watching NBA/NFL games as I do with this new TV. It actually looks really bad when compared to the other two Samsungs in my home.
I've tried pretty much every setting I can think of and it hasn't made it any better. I changed the settings you suggested as well and still the same. I've messed with the Dish box settings and also changed HDMI cables and no dice.
My PS3 looks amazing on it, but watching HDTV just doens't look like it should. When watching football games and basketball you can see a very fuzzy picture, but when they zoom in on the players it looks a lot better.
I'm pretty stumped at this point. I'm not TV expert, but with my other TV's a few simple tweaks on the picture settings and they were good to go.
I have another 46" Samsung 6 series from last year that just looks so much better for whatever reason. It has the soap opera effect, but I actually like that and it looks like this TV is incapable of having that effect.
I'm almost to the point that I might return this TV and go for something else around the same price range.

sounds like what you're really missing is the auto motion plus which i guess makes motion sharper but gives it that soap opera look. you might want to look into getting a plasma for motion resolution and no soap opera effect, or just a different model with a smoothing effect if you prefer that.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55eh6000 Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un46eh6000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 40 Inch Led 3d Hdtv Un40eh6030 , Samsung Ln46c630 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page