Official Samsung UNXXEH6000 Owners' Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 2566 Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I uploaded the wrong screen shot. So I am deleting this post and will resubmit.

Sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2566 Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph289 View Post

What is that Audio out 3.5 on the back of the TV used for ?? The Quick Start Guide shows it can go to a DVD/Home Theater ?

The back panel of my 55EH6000 does not have any such jack. The only option for audio output is the optical audio out. The Quick Start Guide is probably one they include with every TV, I doubt it's model specific.
post #1353 of 2566 Old 12-16-2012, 03:01 PM

What is the baseline sharpness setting for this TV? Is sharpness "off" at 0 or 50?

Reason I ask is most people seem to have it set at 0 on their settings. But to me, the text looks blurry when set at 0. I have to bump it up around 25-30 before the text looks OK. This makes me wonder if the sharpness is "off" at 50 and when you go below that you are actually reducing sharpness beyond the natural picture level?
post #1354 of 2566 Old 12-16-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

Last year, 120 hz samsung lcd's had frame interpolation (auto motion plus). Does your tv have controls for this? This year, samsung is advertising a "clear motion rate;" quite frankly, I have no idea what this refers to. To me, it seems to be a very obvious attempt at obfuscation. They don't want to state what the actual refresh rate is, nor do they want to make it clear what tech they are using to address motion blur, if there is any tech at all.
Samsung's unwillingness to disclose the facts about what they are selling is a major turn-off.

I don't see anything related to Clear Motion Rate. There is LED Motion Plus, but that's not the same thing. I'm not sure why they advertised the 120hz...all reports indicate it's a regular 60hz panel. It's pretty hard to test without appropriate source material. It could be that the 120hz only applies to 3D content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzhimself View Post

The back panel of my 55EH6000 does not have any such jack. The only option for audio output is the optical audio out. The Quick Start Guide is probably one they include with every TV, I doubt it's model specific.

The 3.5mm output can go to any speakers/headphones you want. However, if your speakers/headphones are not powered, then you won't be able to control the volume outputted. The setup I have is that my PC hooks up to the TV hdmi/hdmi and I can route the sound to the TV, which goes to my headphones. This way I can control the volume using my PC. However, when I connect my Xbox to the TV and the headphones to the 3.5in out, then I won't be able to control the volume, but sound still works. In other words, depending on your source, you're going to need a receiver or amplifier of some kind to control the sound. This can be done via the optical out or the 3.5in out.
post #1355 of 2566 Old 12-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwener View Post

What is the baseline sharpness setting for this TV? Is sharpness "off" at 0 or 50?
Reason I ask is most people seem to have it set at 0 on their settings. But to me, the text looks blurry when set at 0. I have to bump it up around 25-30 before the text looks OK. This makes me wonder if the sharpness is "off" at 50 and when you go below that you are actually reducing sharpness beyond the natural picture level?

I think it's OFF at 0, although it does look a little blurry. I think this might be because it's subsampling the picture. I don't spot any edge enhancements until after 10 or so. I keep mine at 5.

For "PC" mode it's different, and it is OFF at 50 and anything below that causes it to blur pixels together.
post #1356 of 2566 Old 12-16-2012, 08:03 PM

I thought that was Samsung's cheap way of "blocking" a non functional port. Yeah... I guess there is a 3.5 audio out jack back there after all. You're going to get stereo sound, not surround sound out of there though,
post #1357 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwener View Post

zero in general and 50 in PC mode... but you could turn it up to 5 or so without adding visible edge enhancement
post #1358 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph289 View Post

What is that Audio out 3.5 on the back of the TV used for ?? The Quick Start Guide shows it can go to a DVD/Home Theater ?

No one know what this port is for ???
post #1359 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

Last year, 120 hz samsung lcd's had frame interpolation (auto motion plus). Does your tv have controls for this? This year, samsung is advertising a "clear motion rate;" quite frankly, I have no idea what this refers to. To me, it seems to be a very obvious attempt at obfuscation. They don't want to state what the actual refresh rate is, nor do they want to make it clear what tech they are using to address motion blur, if there is any tech at all.
Samsung's unwillingness to disclose the facts about what they are selling is a major turn-off.

the EH6000/EH6050 has AMP 120Hz but the EH6030/EH6070 doesn't... however, every EH series 5 or 6 set has LED Motion Plus (EH series 4 does not)
post #1360 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 AM

Liked: 15
Hi, I see this is a pretty long thread...sorry if this has been asked before, but can someone point me to some good calibration settings for a dim/dark room? I bought this TV as a X-mas gift for someone and will probably help set it up. I was planning on using my DVE HD blu-ray to get a decent looking picture without going into an all out calibration. Just looking for settings that will give me a good starting point, and also what "features" to turn off. I have an older Samsung B750, and movie mode with warm 2 was the way to go with that TV...not sure if this is similar? Thanks:)
post #1361 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

A couple of questions:
Why did you choose Standard pic mode over Movie? Movie is the best preset to start with, especially if you want linear, flat gamma. It also defeats Motion Lighting, which is a good thing.
Did you measure Auto vs. Native color space? I think you'll find Auto is much more accurate, especially for greens.
Also, film mode should be set to Auto1 for 1080i signals (or Auto for the 6000 series which doesn't have Auto1 and Auto2).

Why is film mode set to auto advantageous over a custom AMP setting? Please try and answer in laymans terms lol...
post #1362 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawson07 View Post

Why is film mode set to auto advantageous over a custom AMP setting? Please try and answer in laymans terms lol...

That post isn't talking about AMP. Film mode is separate feature altogether.
post #1363 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Liked: 12
Hey guys, I got the 55eh6000 and I'm not really liking the PQ. Fir what it's worth I have the th02 panel. Viewing angles not great and the picture just lacks crispness. Example is when watching football the camera can zoom in too a player and it be really clear but when it pans back out the picture just looses its clearness. The plasma i have doesnt do it nearly as bad. I've tried every setting that I've ran across in this thread and still not happy. They've made the picture better but not up to my standards I guess. I posted previously in this thread and I guess there's nothing wrong with the tv it's the move I made from a plasma to led. I just never thought it would be as big of a difference between the two. The only reason I swapped technologies is samsung doesn't make a 55 in plasma. Is the any samsung led out there that would have better PQ than what I got.
post #1364 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsey View Post

Hey guys, I got the 55eh6000 and I'm not really liking the PQ. Fir what it's worth I have the th02 panel. Viewing angles not great and the picture just lacks crispness. Example is when watching football the camera can zoom in too a player and it be really clear but when it pans back out the picture just looses its clearness. The plasma i have doesnt do it nearly as bad. I've tried every setting that I've ran across in this thread and still not happy. They've made the picture better but not up to my standards I guess. I posted previously in this thread and I guess there's nothing wrong with the tv it's the move I made from a plasma to led. I just never thought it would be as big of a difference between the two. The only reason I swapped technologies is samsung doesn't make a 55 in plasma. Is the any samsung led out there that would have better PQ than what I got.

I'm not sure what your referring to by "crispness" and "clearness." Do you mean sharpness? If anything LCD's should be sharper than Plasmas because of the pixel structure.

You'll have to be more specific about what is bothering you with the picture, because I can't really tell apart from the viewing angles being better on plasma.

FYI, compressed sports over cable is a poor source for judging picture quality.
Noubourne likes this.
post #1365 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post

Hi, I see this is a pretty long thread...sorry if this has been asked before, but can someone point me to some good calibration settings for a dim/dark room? I bought this TV as a X-mas gift for someone and will probably help set it up. I was planning on using my DVE HD blu-ray to get a decent looking picture without going into an all out calibration. Just looking for settings that will give me a good starting point, and also what "features" to turn off. I have an older Samsung B750, and movie mode with warm 2 was the way to go with that TV...not sure if this is similar? Thanks:)
the best way is to do a basic calibration at least of black levels and brightness. Copying someone else's settings are unlikely to match your specific set.
Read the post below for an easy way to do that with free tools. It also has my settings if you still want to try some smile.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/420#post_22233258
post #1366 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

+1
Noubourne likes this.
post #1367 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I did some movie watching with my Standard pic mode calibration and noticed that Motion Lighting is in full effect with YCbCr signals (such as BD movies) but completely disabled with RGB signals (like when streaming Netflix on the PS3). Overall, the calibration is a lot closer to Movie pic mode than previous year's models from Samsung, but the Motion Lighting with BD movies annoyed me and I prefer Movie pic mode over Standard pic mode overall.
post #1368 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I did some movie watching with my Standard pic mode calibration and noticed that Motion Lighting is in full effect with YCbCr signals (such as BD movies) but completely disabled with RGB signals (like when streaming Netflix on the PS3). Overall, the calibration is a lot closer to Movie pic mode than previous year's models from Samsung, but the Motion Lighting with BD movies annoyed me and I prefer Movie pic mode over Standard pic mode overall.

I noticed that it is ON with a YCbCr signal and a RGB full range signal, but that it's OFF with a RGB limited range signal.

I mainly turn it on (aka switch to Standard mode), when the the room lighting is very dim and controlled and I want a little extra blacks, which is mainly for gaming. It's sort of like a fun effect when you turn off a flashlight in a dark room and it gets very black.

Basically Instead of having a day calibration and a night calibration with different backlight settings I just toggle motion lighting for the dark nighttime viewing where you would normally anyways already calibrate and lower the backlight for that room.

I would recommened leaving it off when your room lighting isn't controlled and very dim, or during the day. In those cases you can't really see any benefit to the blacks by lowering the backlight, but you can see the picture get dimmer.
post #1369 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure what your referring to by "crispness" and "clearness." Do you mean sharpness? If anything LCD's should be sharper than Plasmas because of the pixel structure.
You'll have to be more specific about what is bothering you with the picture, because I can't really tell apart from the viewing angles being better on plasma.

Maybe picture clarity is a better term to use. Im still learning about this tv and PQ in general through this site and others. I know there are some content that looks better than others but I've seen some awesome hd coming from sports like football, basketball, etc. ... I've watched bluray on this tv and it looks pretty dang good but I don't watch bluray all the time. I watch normal directv channels the most. That's what I want too look good. I by no means a pro at any of this but I've thought I might get Disney WOW and calibrate it to see where that gets me before completely writing off this tv. It seems easy enough to do.
post #1370 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe picture clarity is a better term to use. Im still learning about this tv and PQ in general through this site and others. I know there are some content that looks better than others but I've seen some awesome hd coming from sports like football, basketball, etc. ... I've watched bluray on this tv and it looks pretty dang good but I don't watch bluray all the time. I watch normal directv channels the most. That's what I want too look good. I by no means a pro at any of this but I've thought I might get Disney WOW and calibrate it to see where that gets me before completely writing off this tv. It seems easy enough to do.

Not really :\

That still doesn't mean much to me as "clarity" is a vague term.

A couple more specific aspects of picture quality:
Black level, peak brightness, contrast ratio, white balance, greyscale, gamma, color accuracy/gamut/saturation, motion performace/resolution, sharpness, etc...
post #1371 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Not really :\
That still doesn't mean much to me as "clarity" is a vague term.
A couple more specific aspects of picture quality:
Black level, peak brightness, contrast ratio, white balance, greyscale, gamma, color accuracy/gamut/saturation, motion performace/resolution, sharpness, etc...

Hey Chicolom, I finished calibrating my UN55EH6000 with your settings and everything looks great except one thing. For some reason I cannot get my set to be as "COLORFUL" as I would want it to be. The greens are a bit dull mainly. The one setting that my model has that your guide did not have was an R G and B Offset and I was curious if you think this had anything to do with it? Also if you have any settings for those because right now they are at the standard 25 for movie mode.

Thank you btw! Should I not be following your guide?
post #1372 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM

Liked: 17
I really don't think some people realize how a HD set with good quality can have poor source material make it look so bad.

I have the 46" 6000 series and here's my sources and my evaluation of them after calibrating to my likes.

Blu-ray or HQ DVD: top quality. Picture is so good it's almost a problem because it's distractingly beautiful.

HD streaming through Netflix or Vudu: as long as the source is made and compressed well and my modem and router are doing what they're supposed to, awesome quality. Can't even see any artifacts much of the time. 1080p can get almost to BR quality when streaming.

Over the air HD antenna: varies from excellent to poor depending on source. Channels in SD look like crap as the set tries to upscale. HD broadcasts however can look stunning. Samsung's Film Mode handles 1080i really well and that's why I try to set my other sources to that output as well.

Now for people using satellite or cable-- sorry to break it to you but your fat monthly bill is in many cases actually paying for way worse quality than my cheap HD antenna. The cable and satellite companies compress the hell out of their feeds and by the time it ends up on your screen you're losing all sorts of detail and vibrance. And when you purchase a super bright, sharp, large LCD screen like ours it will reveal every flaw way worse than what you're used to.

As others have said--basically--G.I.G.O. (Garbage In, Garbage Out).
post #1373 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM

It depends on the provider and (in the case of a cable company) the quality of their physical plant.

Comcast, for example, has a variety of physical plants throughout their various regions, with plant qualities ranging from Extremely Excellent to Absolutely Awful - and some parts of a single physical plant will run the gamut (Prince George's County, MD, where I live, is a case in point - west of Joint Forces Base Andrews, and on the base itself, plant quality is pretty darn high; however, the MDU-clogged inside-Beltway section of the plant, and in the vicinity of Bowie, are problem-plagued; the problem is exacerbated by the plant being an aggregate of what was originally three different cable company operations - none of which are "legacy Comcast").
post #1374 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 PM
BWX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewlaybrothers View Post

I really don't think some people realize how a HD set with good quality can have poor source material make it look so bad.
Should be posted in big red letters on every single page in this thread.

I think a lot of people in this thread are complaining about this TV when they should be complaining about the source material which is made more visible and obvious by a larger, better TV.
Noubourne likes this.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #1375 of 2566 Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchm3 View Post

Hey Chicolom, I finished calibrating my UN55EH6000 with your settings and everything looks great except one thing. For some reason I cannot get my set to be as "COLORFUL" as I would want it to be. The greens are a bit dull mainly. The one setting that my model has that your guide did not have was an R G and B Offset and I was curious if you think this had anything to do with it? Also if you have any settings for those because right now they are at the standard 25 for movie mode.
Thank you btw! Should I not be following your guide?

RGB offset is for adjusting the white balance, and controls how much of each color is in black, so it should be unrelated.

I leave them at 25 because there aren't any problems with the greyscale/white balance near black that I can see. I can see a pinkish blueish cast/tint near the whites though, which is why I adjusted the RGB gain to alleviate the issue some.

The rest of the settings should be pretty close for the 55EHE6000, but I would go back and check the brightness, contrast, and color saturation as they might be different on your set.
post #1376 of 2566 Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post

Should be posted in big red letters on every single page in this thread.
I think a lot of people in this thread are complaining about this TV when they should be complaining about the source material which is made more visible and obvious by
a larger, better TV.

Regarding the disparity in quality of source material, that makes perfect sense. I have Verizon FIOS, which is in and of itself a good service IMHO, but there is absolutely a disparity in quality between HD channels. For instance, a DVR recording of last week's 12-12-12 concert recorded from AMC HD was highly pixelated, while Monday Night Football on ESPN HD looks sensational on my 55." Do others here find that specific content providers/channels deliver generally higher quality than others? For instance, in the case of that concert, it was broadcast on a number of channels and I would have recorded it from a different channel than AMC if I thought it would have been better. Also interested in knowing if the service provider holds any sway over this. AMC happens to be in a dispute with Verizon at the moment, so maybe Verizon was able to manipulate the feed in such a way that I would be less inclined to watch AMC HD. Thoughts?
post #1377 of 2566 Old 12-18-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I think the problems you are having is with a poor cable picture coming in. I notice this too on my set sometimes. Some channels look incredible while others can look downright awful. With regard to football, specifically, I've found ESPN and NBC to be great, while CBS and FOX are mediocre to bad (that probably varies from area to area).

It's not the TV's fault and the only thing you could really do to "fix" it would be to buy a sh!tty TV so every channel has the same low-quality picture. Your real beef is probably with your cable company.

I have heard that DirecTV can get you a better picture because they aren't compressing it off the satellite feed to send it out over cable. I have not verified this myself though. Can anyone chime in on that?
post #1378 of 2566 Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I noticed that it is ON with a YCbCr signal and a RGB full range signal, but that it's OFF with a RGB limited range signal.

Yeah, when I said RGB, I meant RGB Limited. I also noticed shadow detail looked a bit unusual in Standard mode and the picture was a bit noisy at times (compared to Movie mode). I think the gamma near black could be different from Movie mode and some extraneous video processing might still be active despite turning everything off in the advanced settings menu.
post #1379 of 2566 Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 AM

Does anyone have any calibrated setting for a 55 inch model with a TH02 Panel? I have tried many settings but the pic still looks off. Any help would be much appreciated..
post #1380 of 2566 Old 12-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Does anyone have any good calibrated settings for 55 inch eh6000 with a TH02 panel? I have tried a bunch of setting but cannot get the picture to look all that great
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55eh6000 Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un46eh6000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 40 Inch Led 3d Hdtv Un40eh6030 , Samsung Ln46c630 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page