Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 2567 Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
"Thank you for contacting Samsung!

This was a listing error by Best Buy. The TV output is 120hz, with the CMR it becomes 240hz. We apologize for the confusion.

Thank you for being a Samsung customer!

The Samsung Online Support Team"

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN55EH6050FXZA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2567 Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymod2 View Post

Have any of you guys noticed a problem with audio sync when using the internal tuner on the EH6030? I've been noticing it a lot. Today I could clearly see people's lips were moving before you could hear the voice (delayed audio). I'm using the optical audio out routed to a receiver. I know it's not the receiver because I have an OTA set top box that doesn't have this problem. Also turning the TV off and back on seems to fix it temporarily.

Am I the only one having this problem? Maybe nobody else is using the internal tuner. Can anyone comment if they *are* using the internal tuner with optical audio out and whether you have this problem or not?
post #1623 of 2567 Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM

Liked: 17
I think the sharpness setting depends on how far you typically sit from your screen. As long as you can make out fine details and don't introduce artificial moire patterns, you're good.

Now another note: this past week I watched the DVD of BRAVE. Great looking DVD, almost forgot it wasn't a blu-ray. However on there they had in the features what they call an "optimizer." This is a supposedly simplified guide of test patterns with instructions. Well, not only did I find it a confusing mess, which is ironic when you consider how technical the AVS 709 disc is and how you need to read up on it or watch the video guide, but it showed much different results than the 709. But since the real test is whether program material looks good - and it does - I left my settings alone. I don't completely trust that particular DVD for some reason. Seen way too many that were transferred poorly, had dark grey instead of black letterbox bars, etc.

post #1624 of 2567 Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewlaybrothers View Post

I think the sharpness setting depends on how far you typically sit from your screen. As long as you can make out fine details and don't introduce artificial moire patterns, you're good.

From a subjective standpoint, sure. However, if you want the most technically/objectively correct setting you need to get as close as possible and look at things on a single-pixel level. The test pattern I used makes doing that very easy.

post #1625 of 2567 Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM

Deep Color: has anyone seen a positive difference from enabling it on their set (not even sure if ours can display it) through their bluray player? I have no way to objectively test but enabling it doesn't seem to have hurt. Consensus from research here and elsewhere is that it either makes no difference due to no programs being encoded with it or makes a difference so subtle as to be useless. Your thoughts?

post #1626 of 2567 Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Liked: 11
After reading this thread for the last week and a half, i pulled the trigger last night while it was still on sale. The BB location i went to didn't have it in stock, so i'm picking it up on my way home from work tonight. It's replacing an older 30" 100lb Samsung "Slim Fit" model, so the lack of net or extra HDMI port doesn't really affect me. It's going to be a long day at work, i already can't wait to get home so i can set it up and play with it. Thanks for all the info you guys have been posting.
post #1627 of 2567 Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM

Liked: 10
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks to everyone here....just finished reading all 55 pages.....wow!.....after getting a UN55EH6000F on clearance yesterday. Replacing a 42" LG LCD 120Hz that I was quite happy with, but cruising past 5 years old. Wife wanted a TV upstairs, who am I to argue with "Maybe we should get a better one downstairs"?

Anyway, I was a little underwhelmed at first...mine has a TH02 panel, manufactured in 11/12..but after monkeying around with some of the settings here until my calibration disc arrives, I've found a good compromise that I'm plenty happy with. I tried all manner of settings and different blu-ray discs from REAR WINDOW to the BOURNE films, and I think that after slightly altering ganzhimself's calibration settings (Dropped the brightness a touch, upped the backlight a notch, adjusted that Clear motion soap opera thing to custom and tweaked to taste), I'm really impressed.

Great TV at the pricepoint (just under 900 CAD), and quite the step up in size from a 42".

Cheers and happy new year!
post #1628 of 2567 Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Deep Color: has anyone seen a positive difference from enabling it on their set (not even sure if ours can display it) through their bluray player? I have no way to objectively test but enabling it doesn't seem to have hurt. Consensus from research here and elsewhere is that it either makes no difference due to no programs being encoded with it or makes a difference so subtle as to be useless. Your thoughts?

I have it 'On' on my PS3, which I use as a BD player. It doesn't seem to make a visible difference either way though (Off or On).

post #1629 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I would point anyone with one of the 6 series sets to this thread if you haven't already read it:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435194/tweak-disabling-autodimming-for-samsung-eseries-smart-tv-mine-is-es6710

When I first started looking at these, the only thing that came up consistently as a knock was that this could not be turned off. Seems you can minimize it at least.
bewlaybrothers and derekwwww like this.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #1630 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

How can you check the hours of usage in this tv? Is there a service menu?

Thanks!
post #1631 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM

The auto-dimming fix strikes me as taking a Howitzer to swat a fly (I've learned to live with it for the vast majority of what I watch). I'd play with it if I put together a big chunk of time but expect the trade-off wouldn't be worth it. My reasoning is that the lower you push the master backlight brightness and compensate with everything else, the duller the picture could appear. But to each their own.
PlasmaPZ80U likes this.

post #1632 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

I would point anyone with one of the 6 series sets to this thread if you haven't already read it:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435194/tweak-disabling-autodimming-for-samsung-eseries-smart-tv-mine-is-es6710
When I first started looking at these, the only thing that came up consistently as a knock was that this could not be turned off. Seems you can minimize it at least.

or you could just use Movie mode, which only dims on all-black screens

post #1633 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I can understand people finding this annoying, but sometimes I get the impression that folks do nothing but watch black screens and title sequences. I notice the quirk and the slight clouding on certain black screens too, but realistically what % of my viewing time is taken by this? Not a lot.

post #1634 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb View Post

How can you check the hours of usage in this tv? Is there a service menu?
Thanks!

its called "panel display time" and is under the "SVC" portion of the service menu on the EH6030... be careful and don't change anything while you're in there and know the controls in the SM

to enter SM, put TV in standby (red light on) and then press Mute 1 8 2 Power quickly and firmly in sequence and then wait for 10-15 seconds for the SM to appear (you will lose any user picture/sound settings on all inputs when entering SM)

left/right arrow changes values (dangerous)

up/down arrow navigates (safe)

'enter' enters a sub-menu or item in a sub menu (usually safe but be careful not to press enter near certain items, like resets and adc calibration, which it could activate)

menu goes back a menu or to main menu (safe)

press power to exit SM

post #1635 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Actually, I calibrated both a Movie Mode and Standard mode. I go back and forth as to which I like, but mostly this weekend I stayed with Standard mode. The effect doesn't really bother me as this is just a 40" TV in my family room that mostly gets sports and regular TV fare. Movies usually mean a trip to the Media Room in the basement with my projector. However, last night, we had friends over with kids of several age groups; my daughter and the older kids ended up in the basement playing Halo. I watched a movie in the family room with the smaller kids and was quite pleased with this set.

I only posted the link for information purposes as I noticed this was a common complaint from reviewers on this TV.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #1636 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM

I played around with the settings with the goal in mind to get brightness above 50 to eliminate the auto dimming, and I just don't know what the posters in that other thread are talking about. Unless I'm missing something very obvious, both in Standard and Movie mode no matter how low I pushed backlight (all the way to 0!) any brightness above 50 completely ruined the brightness/contrast ratios according to the most basic test patterns. Maybe it's just my set (those contributors are talking about a quite different Samsung model anyway), but it seems like a bad idea from where I'm sitting. No lasting changes to my numbers are in store right now.
PlasmaPZ80U likes this.

post #1637 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Actually, I calibrated both a Movie Mode and Standard mode. I go back and forth as to which I like, but mostly this weekend I stayed with Standard mode. The effect doesn't really bother me as this is just a 40" TV in my family room that mostly gets sports and regular TV fare. Movies usually mean a trip to the Media Room in the basement with my projector. However, last night, we had friends over with kids of several age groups; my daughter and the older kids ended up in the basement playing Halo. I watched a movie in the family room with the smaller kids and was quite pleased with this set.
I only posted the link for information purposes as I noticed this was a common complaint from reviewers on this TV.

when calibrated properly, Standard and Movie look identical except for the motion lighting (auto-dimming) being active in Standard even when turned 'off'... therefore, if the auto-dimming was of concern to you, there would be no reason to not use movie mode and instead mess with the calibration in Standard in an attempt to cancel the auto-dimming (but at the expense of messing up the PQ in much worse ways)

post #1638 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
Does anyone know specifically what "Black Tone" does?

I'm still not sure. At first I thought it just dynamically shifted the black point around, similar to dynamic contrast but without moving the white point. But I don't think it's that simple.

It seems to only affect a limited range of values, like the from black up to mid-gray. So instead of moving the black point it seems like it is modifying the curves in between black and the mid point, making them steeper to increase the contrast or something.

On some images it doesn't have any effect. Like on the AVS HD 709 Black clipping pattern, I don't see it do anything on dark, or darker. Darkest seems to always crush the blacks, as it no longer "smartly" tries to adjust it but instead does globally no matter what the image is.

I'm just trying to understand specifically what it is doing....

post #1639 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

I'm still not sure. At first I thought it just dynamically shifted the black point around, similar to dynamic contrast but without moving the white point. But I don't think it's that simple.
It seems to only affect a limited range of values, like the from black up to mid-gray. So instead of moving the black point it seems like it is modifying the curves in between black and the mid point, making them steeper to increase the contrast or something.
On some images it doesn't have any effect. Like on the AVS HD 709 Black clipping pattern, I don't see it do anything on dark, or darker. Darkest seems to always crush the blacks, as it no longer "smartly" tries to adjust it but instead does globally no matter what the image is.

On older Samsung LCDs, like the B650 and D550 series, it would simply crush/clip the levels just above black. Dark would crush/clip a few levels, Darker more, and Darkest the most. I haven't tested it on my EH6030 series, though.

post #1640 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM

Liked: 20
How big of a TV do I need to get a 'cinematic' feel?

I have a 40" TV and I sit very close, about 5' feet away when watching movies. Despite sitting so close, I still don't feel like I am getting anything approximating a cinema experience.

Will stepping up to a 46" TV sitting 5' feet away do the trick? Or, do I need to step up to a 55-60" TV?
post #1641 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

I have a 40" TV and I sit very close, about 5' feet away when watching movies. Despite sitting so close, I still don't feel like I am getting anything approximating a cinema experience.

Will stepping up to a 46" TV sitting 5' feet away do the trick? Or, do I need to step up to a 55-60" TV?

Have you tried seeing various sizes in a store environment like hhgregg or Best Buy? Not the ideal place but it does give you some idea.

I can tell you that I thought I was getting a "modest" size by purchasing a 46", but in my small living room about 9' away it looks much bigger than I expected. Despite my parents having the same size it looked MUCH bigger to me in my own home because I don't have a large cavernous living room like them where you sit much further away.

Anything above 50" is going to appear very big I think in anything but the largest rooms. But see for yourself.

post #1642 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Based on your comments about viewing a 40" from 5', I'd say you'd want something at least 50" to 55" to get the desired effect. I sit about 4'-5' from my 46" and while it's big enough for me, I would have considered a 50"+ set if I had enough space in my room for it.

46" will be visibly bigger than a 40" from 5', but the difference won't be enough to produce the desired effect.

post #1643 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you tried seeing various sizes in a store environment like hhgregg or Best Buy? Not the ideal place but it does give you some idea.
I can tell you that I thought I was getting a "modest" size by purchasing a 46", but in my small living room about 9' away it looks much bigger than I expected. Despite my parents having the same size it looked MUCH bigger to me in my own home because I don't have a large cavernous living room like them where you sit much further away.
Anything above 50" is going to appear very big I think in anything but the largest rooms. But see for yourself.

I think there is no one right answer to this question, since user preference and room space can greatly affect the answer. For me, 46" is OK from 5' but 50"-55"+ would be better if there is enough space for it. For you, it seems 46" is quite big at 9'. I do watch only HD content on my 46", which might explain why I don't have issues with the PQ looking degraded because I'm too close to the screen. I mainly watch BD movies, play HD games on the Xbox 360/PS3/Wii U, stream HD content from Netflix via the PS3, and watch HD Cable TV. I rarely watch DVDs and never watch non-HD channels on TV. I also don't play retro games much.

post #1644 of 2567 Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

We're currently using a 55" at 9' viewing distance, and have been for three years. We'll be moving the 55" to the bedroom, and stepping up to at least a 65".

But, with your viewing distance, a 46" might do the trick. At least, according to this viewing distance calculator:

Viewing Distance Calculator

But, I have to say, at that close a range, you'll never really allow a multi-channel sound system to do it's work properly. And that is a large part of the immersion you might be looking for. At 9', I'm a touch too close.
post #1645 of 2567 Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post

From Samsung's FAQ at http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00000586&fm_seq=57580
Black Tone is closely related to the "Brightness" option. Adjusting the Black level option changes what the TV interperets as "Black". For example: Setting the option really high will change a deep navy blue color to be displayed as black. This can cause you to loose details to the shadows on dark scenes. Setting the option correctly for your viewing preferences and signal type will enhance the black colors displayed on the TV to be a nice true black. This option has four settings: Off, Dark, Darker, Darkest.
post #1646 of 2567 Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello everyone, long time reader here.

Just got the 46" version of this set from my local BestBuy. Got a TS02 panel.

Now, I am downloading and burning the AVS HD 709 Calibration Disc as I type this out, but I was wondering what settings I should have off/on when running this disc? Like should I be in Movie, game mode off, etc?

Thanks for any help on where to start and have a great evening!

EDIT: Oh, and if it helps, my TV is reporting a firmware version of T-MX9FAUSC-1018.1
post #1647 of 2567 Old 01-07-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohanssjn View Post

Hello everyone, long time reader here.

Just got the 46" version of this set from my local BestBuy. Got a TS02 panel.

Now, I am downloading and burning the AVS HD 709 Calibration Disc as I type this out, but I was wondering what settings I should have off/on when running this disc? Like should I be in Movie, game mode off, etc?

Thanks for any help on where to start and have a great evening!

I and others recommend Movie Mode and Warm 1 or 2 for color tone. Seems to get you to a flatter starting point for settings.

Also recommend switching off anything extra in Advanced Settings and Picture Options at least to begin with. And Screen Fit is a must for Size under Picture Options, otherwise you will lose picture area due to overscan (one of the 709 patterns demonstrates this and lets you position the picture correctly).

Google AVS 709 and you'll run across several links which give very easy to understand beginner's instructions if you need them. There's also posts here for that purpose of course, and the video guide included on the disc too. Good luck! I have a TS02 myself in that size and am very pleased after putting in the work.

post #1648 of 2567 Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekwwww View Post

From Samsung's FAQ at http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00000586&fm_seq=57580
Black Tone is closely related to the "Brightness" option. Adjusting the Black level option changes what the TV interperets as "Black". For example: Setting the option really high will change a deep navy blue color to be displayed as black. This can cause you to loose details to the shadows on dark scenes. Setting the option correctly for your viewing preferences and signal type will enhance the black colors displayed on the TV to be a nice true black. This option has four settings: Off, Dark, Darker, Darkest.

I've seen that but it's still a fairly vague description.

post #1649 of 2567 Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I and others recommend Movie Mode and Warm 1 or 2 for color tone. Seems to get you to a flatter starting point for settings.
Also recommend switching off anything extra in Advanced Settings and Picture Options at least to begin with. And Screen Fit is a must for Size under Picture Options, otherwise you will lose picture area due to overscan (one of the 709 patterns demonstrates this and lets you position the picture correctly).
Google AVS 709 and you'll run across several links which give very easy to understand beginner's instructions if you need them. There's also posts here for that purpose of course, and the video guide included on the disc too. Good luck! I have a TS02 myself in that size and am very pleased after putting in the work.

Thank you for the starting advice.

I have an initial setup using the basic settings on the disc, but it just seems too dark to me. I think I am use to something... brighter than reality, lol. What to change next....
post #1650 of 2567 Old 01-07-2013, 08:08 PM

Hi,

I recently got a UN55EH6001

I am very happy with it overall, however, on a lot of shows I've noticed in scenes with shadows that the side of people's faces gets very dark and hard to see. I don't like this. I was wondering from those of you who have experience with this stuff, what settings do you suggest on this TV?

Thanks
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55eh6000 Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un46eh6000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 40 Inch Led 3d Hdtv Un40eh6030 , Samsung Ln46c630 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page