post #2341 of 2566 Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by below90hz View Post

actually I'm fairly certain you can turn off the auto-dimming in the "System" menu and go to "Eco Sensor" and turn it off. I'm like 99.9% certain that's what I did to turn off the auto-dimming on my 6030.

that's actually a separate feature, which as you pointed out can be directly turned off (and is off in movie mode by default)

auto-dimming is enabled in standard mode (but not movie mode) and there is no setting on the TV that has direct control over it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2566 Old 07-25-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

also eco sensor adjusts backlight automatically based on ambient light in the room whereas auto-dimming is based on APL (average picture level) of the video content displayed
post #2343 of 2566 Old 07-25-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Turning off the Eco Sensor & Energy Saving did eliminate fluctuations while watching programs, & that was under a constant ambient lighting scenario. I used to notice brightness changes while watching a program but do not notice this now.

Does the auto-dimming happen so fast that perhaps I am not noticing it?
post #2344 of 2566 Old 07-25-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

Turning off the Eco Sensor & Energy Saving did eliminate fluctuations while watching programs, & that was under a constant ambient lighting scenario. I used to notice brightness changes while watching a program but do not notice this now.

Does the auto-dimming happen so fast that perhaps I am not noticing it?

try this.. look at the black bars on a DVD/BD movie (make sure BD player is sending YCbCr to TV, since RGB seems to disable the dimming) and see if they get dimmer during dark scenes and brighter during normal scenes (also look at the brightness of the subtitles to see a similar effect)

it happens fast in response to the average brightness of the scene and so you need to be looking for it to notice it (the less bright content on-screen the more the backlight dims... so a black screen with one line of text will be dimmer than a black screen with many lines of text)
post #2345 of 2566 Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

that's actually a separate feature, which as you pointed out can be directly turned off (and is off in movie mode by default)

auto-dimming is enabled in standard mode (but not movie mode) and there is no setting on the TV that has direct control over it

I just played with this thing for 20 minutes and tested every setting in every mode one-by-one. If I'm in Movie or even Standard mode, turning off Eco Sensor immediately stops the changes in dimming i see. if I turn on Eco Sensor, it dims (and brightens) the picture automatically. Samsung can call it whatever they want, and why it affects the brightness level isn't important to me, what's important is it acts like an auto-dimming feature and it's annoying. In a completely dark room it maintains a pretty constant level, but in ambient room light it keeps switching levels. Once I turn Eco Sensor off however, even in "standard" mode - there is no longer any "auto-dimming" activity on my TV.

Maybe it's because I'm using my TV as a PC monitor hooked up via HDMI, but on my EH6030 turning off Eco Sensor 100% solved my auto-dimming woes.

Quit readin my signature ya stupid signature reader.
post #2346 of 2566 Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 PM
BWX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I figured out those settings in like 10 minutes when I set up the TV.

There is one called eco or whatever, and another in the video settings. You have to switch them both off to stop the auto dimming on dark scenes which is way overdone and totally annoying on this TV.

The tricky part was to get it to stop that, but still make the light sensor work for when the sun is coming into the room. I finally got it to work, but the settings have to be just right. Cannot remember off the top of my head how I did it exactly.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
post #2347 of 2566 Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just played with this thing for 20 minutes and tested every setting in every mode one-by-one. If I'm in Movie or even Standard mode, turning off Eco Sensor immediately stops the changes in dimming i see. if I turn on Eco Sensor, it dims (and brightens) the picture automatically. Samsung can call it whatever they want, and why it affects the brightness level isn't important to me, what's important is it acts like an auto-dimming feature and it's annoying. In a completely dark room it maintains a pretty constant level, but in ambient room light it keeps switching levels. Once I turn Eco Sensor off however, even in "standard" mode - there is no longer any "auto-dimming" activity on my TV.

Maybe it's because I'm using my TV as a PC monitor hooked up via HDMI, but on my EH6030 turning off Eco Sensor 100% solved my auto-dimming woes.

did you label the input as "PC"?

because that also disables the auto-dimming

also, so does RGB color space (which your PC graphics card likely uses by default)

trust me, this feature is separate from the energy saving and eco sensor options... I have them both off but still get auto-dimming in standard pic mode with YCbCr signals on my EH6030
post #2348 of 2566 Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Currently my Blu-ray player, satellite DVR and HTPC all use the same HDMI input. I’m using a separate HDMI switch which is a hold over from my old setup. This at least eliminates the variable of using different inputs.

The HTPC is set for YCbCr & the satellite DVR does not provide any option for changing color space & I’m presuming it’s YCbCr. I don’t recall seeing any color space option on the Blu-ray player but will look at it later. FWIW the HTPC and Blu-ray player do display blacker-than-black.

As mentioned, I had the 6030. Since I don't have anymore I can't experiment with it. Could it be possible that the ES6150 that I do have behaves differently? That being said, I have seen several posting where people are trying to turn off auto-dimming on various models so I'm presuming this is a standard "feature" on most Samsung models.

My black letterbox bars seem to be quite black all the time. But I'll experiment & see what I notice.
post #2349 of 2566 Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

the auto-dimming on my EH6030 only affects YCbCr signals not RGB (so setting your source to RGB when possible will likely disable the auto-dimming)

labeling the input as "PC" also works (and is the best option for a PC source)

Already messed with YCbCr /RGB before it would still auto dim on both settings.

Also like i said in my quoted post im aware PC mode disabled auto dimming but movies don't look that great.
This is how i have set up I have the HDMI from my PC set to PC *4:4:4* mode and in XBMC i have it set it to match display to video refresh rate when i start up a movie. This unlocks dynamic/standard modes when watching movies and when i exit the movie it will revert back to PC mode.
Quote:

actually I'm fairly certain you can turn off the auto-dimming in the "System" menu and go to "Eco Sensor" and turn it off. I'm like 99.9% certain that's what I did to turn off the auto-dimming on my 6030.
That the first thing i shut off when i got my TV that will adjust the back-light to ambient room lighting has no effect on with what im talking about.

Trust me i tried everything Its fixed now so im happy
post #2350 of 2566 Old 07-26-2013, 01:25 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

did you label the input as "PC"?

because that also disables the auto-dimming

also, so does RGB color space (which your PC graphics card likely uses by default)

trust me, this feature is separate from the energy saving and eco sensor options... I have them both off but still get auto-dimming in standard pic mode with YCbCr signals on my EH6030

I didn't change the input name, so it sounds like you're right that the graphic card operating in RGB color space is the difference. Could I slap in a USB stick with a movie on it and see if playing from a different source makes any difference? I'm curious to see now if I ever decide to use this thing as a TV if I'll have to put up with an image-based auto-dimming feature.

btw I never said anything about the Eco Saving or whatever you call it, that's something separate. I just mentioned Eco Sensor, and I do realize the Eco Sensor does not function the same way as content-based auto-dimming, but what I'm saying is it still auto-dims the picture. I'm referring to what it actually does, not the name of the technology.

Quit readin my signature ya stupid signature reader.
post #2351 of 2566 Old 07-27-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I checked & my Blu-ray player & it has a setting to change "HDMI RGB Output Range" from Standard to Enhanced. So that might work for watching discs. But most of my viewing is done using the satellite DVR which has no such option.

I have been using the Standard Mode but did try the Movie mode & changed all the settings to match what I had in the Standard mode. Or at least I thought I did. But the picture did not look quite the same & thought it looked a bit warmer. If the settings are the same in Standard & Movie modes should the picture look the same? Or is there some other difference between the modes that cannot be changed?
post #2352 of 2566 Old 07-27-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Currently my Blu-ray player, satellite DVR and HTPC all use the same HDMI input. I’m using a separate HDMI switch which is a hold over from my old setup. This at least eliminates the variable of using different inputs.

The HTPC is set for YCbCr & the satellite DVR does not provide any option for changing color space & I’m presuming it’s YCbCr. I don’t recall seeing any color space option on the Blu-ray player but will look at it later. FWIW the HTPC and Blu-ray player do display blacker-than-black.

As mentioned, I had the 6030. Since I don't have anymore I can't experiment with it. Could it be possible that the ES6150 that I do have behaves differently? That being said, I have seen several posting where people are trying to turn off auto-dimming on various models so I'm presuming this is a standard "feature" on most Samsung models.

My black letterbox bars seem to be quite black all the time. But I'll experiment & see what I notice.

could be different for different models... for example, the EH6000 doesn't dim on black screens but the EH5000 and EH6030 do
post #2353 of 2566 Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I checked & my Blu-ray player & it has a setting to change "HDMI RGB Output Range" from Standard to Enhanced. So that might work for watching discs. But most of my viewing is done using the satellite DVR which has no such option.

I have been using the Standard Mode but did try the Movie mode & changed all the settings to match what I had in the Standard mode. Or at least I thought I did. But the picture did not look quite the same & thought it looked a bit warmer. If the settings are the same in Standard & Movie modes should the picture look the same? Or is there some other difference between the modes that cannot be changed?

Standard and Movie should be the same when setup properly (different numbers will be needed for stuff like contrast, color, and white balance but the end result is identical)... the only difference being Movie mode does no dimming in dark scenes but Standard does for YCbCr signals while not in 'PC' mode

I actually like the auto dimming for stuff like movies since it make blacks darker for dark scenes without affecting normal and bright scenes... it's nothing like eco sensor which has to do with room light and dims everything (not just dark scenes) and does so excessively by default
post #2354 of 2566 Old 07-27-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't change the input name, so it sounds like you're right that the graphic card operating in RGB color space is the difference. Could I slap in a USB stick with a movie on it and see if playing from a different source makes any difference? I'm curious to see now if I ever decide to use this thing as a TV if I'll have to put up with an image-based auto-dimming feature.

btw I never said anything about the Eco Saving or whatever you call it, that's something separate. I just mentioned Eco Sensor, and I do realize the Eco Sensor does not function the same way as content-based auto-dimming, but what I'm saying is it still auto-dims the picture. I'm referring to what it actually does, not the name of the technology.

energy saving has the options low, medium, high (which are fixed presets for dimming... so no backlight fluctuations)

eco sensor dims everything (dark scenes, bright scenes, normal scenes) based on the ambient light sensor near the joystick on the TV and does cause backlight fluctuations

the auto-dimming I'm referring to is only for dark scenes and has zero impact on everything else like bright scenes and normal scenes (does cause backlight fluctuations but only for dark scenes and is proportional to the average brightness of on-screen content)... there is no real name for it in the TV menu, since it's more of a built-in feature in Standard mode (and likely Dynamic too)
post #2355 of 2566 Old 08-05-2013, 06:12 AM

I've had my un55eh6000 for quite a while now and overall I am pleased with it. I have noticed that on the left and the right there are areas where the backlight is darker than the rest of the screen. about an inch from the edge it's almost like an LED array on both sides is out. It is in the exact same position on both sides of the screen, and is really only noticeable on screens of a bright solid color or when I am watching a hockey game. The screen has been like that since day 1, I thought maybe it would settle out, but it hasn't. I am wondering if it's something I should initiate a warranty claim over, or if I should just leave it be.
post #2356 of 2566 Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 AM
BWX

I'd send it back for replacement!

post #2357 of 2566 Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzhimself View Post

I've had my un55eh6000 for quite a while now and overall I am pleased with it. I have noticed that on the left and the right there are areas where the backlight is darker than the rest of the screen. about an inch from the edge it's almost like an LED array on both sides is out. It is in the exact same position on both sides of the screen, and is really only noticeable on screens of a bright solid color or when I am watching a hockey game. The screen has been like that since day 1, I thought maybe it would settle out, but it hasn't. I am wondering if it's something I should initiate a warranty claim over, or if I should just leave it be.

actually, that's normal (I've had a EH5000, a EH6000, and now own the EH6030... they all do this)

I don't believe there are any LEDs at the extreme edges of the screen and so the light that gets there is coming from LEDs a bit closer to the center of the screen
post #2358 of 2566 Old 08-05-2013, 09:50 AM
BWX

I have never seen that.. UN55EH6000 with Samsung panel.

post #2359 of 2566 Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post

I have never seen that.. UN55EH6000 with Samsung panel.

it looks like slightly darker vertical bands on the far left and right of the screen and is really only visible on screens with uniform colors/grays/whites (especially bright screens)
post #2360 of 2566 Old 08-05-2013, 10:30 AM
BWX

I'll check next time I see that TV. (it's my mom's tv that I picked out for her around last X-mas time)
I got the Samsung panel 55" for $789 at Sears online after researching on this forum. It is an amazing looking TV, for any price really. I'll definitely look for those bands but I have never seen them.

post #2361 of 2566 Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post

I'll check next time I see that TV. (it's my mom's tv that I picked out for her around last X-mas time)
I got the Samsung panel 55" for $789 at Sears online after researching on this forum. It is an amazing looking TV, for any price really. I'll definitely look for those bands but I have never seen them.

the thing is unless you go looking for it (such as with bright, uniform colors and up close to the screen/horizontally off-axis as opposed to dead center), you won't see it most of the time

you have to keep in mind limited full-array is better than edgelit but still not as good as true full-array (like on a few high end models... and is getting increasingly rare)
post #2362 of 2566 Old 08-05-2013, 11:12 AM

I'd have to take a picture of it, though I'm not sure it would show up well. I've had the TV since December '12, and I'm not really bothered by it anymore. It's not right at the edge of the screen, I'd say a few inches in on both sides. I pretty much assumed it was normal, but with that magical 1 year closing in I thought maybe I should check just in case. Don't go looking for it on your set, or it will drive you nuts for months if you see it.
post #2363 of 2566 Old 08-05-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd have to take a picture of it, though I'm not sure it would show up well. I've had the TV since December '12, and I'm not really bothered by it anymore. It's not right at the edge of the screen, I'd say a few inches in on both sides. I pretty much assumed it was normal, but with that magical 1 year closing in I thought maybe I should check just in case. Don't go looking for it on your set, or it will drive you nuts for months if you see it.

if you look closely at certain parts of the video here, you'll see it exactly as you describe

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un46eh6000/4505-6482_7-35159621.html
post #2364 of 2566 Old 08-06-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:

if you look closely at certain parts of the video here, you'll see it exactly as you describe

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un46eh6000/4505-6482_7-35159621.html

Yeah, the dark bands on my set are pretty much exactly like that, though it's not quite as dramatic on my set. The vignetting on their test set is awful compared to my set. eek.gif

So, I guess it's fairly normal and nothing to be concerned with. cool.gif
post #2365 of 2566 Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, the dark bands on my set are pretty much exactly like that, though it's not quite as dramatic on my set. The vignetting on their test set is awful compared to my set. eek.gif

So, I guess it's fairly normal and nothing to be concerned with. cool.gif

yeah

For example, I was playing Uncharted 3 on the PS3 yesterday and at certain points the screen would fade to a very bright solid white... I was sitting about 4-5 feet from the screen, vertically centered but pretty far off to the right. When the screen faded to white, I could see a darker than white column on the left side (at few inches from the left edge of the screen going all the way from top to bottom). I did not see the same on the right side (though I likely would have if I was sitting on the left side or dead center). As soon as the game returned to its normal state, the dark column was gone.
post #2366 of 2566 Old 08-15-2013, 12:36 PM

Liked: 10
I'm about to pull the trigger on a UN55EH6050 from COSTCO, and I have two different locations to choose from each with a pretty substantial number in stock. Can anyone clue me in as to where to look on the box for the panel code, and briefly explain ideally what I should be looking for (which to choose if different panels happen to be available?). Thanks a bunch! I've read back through the thread but I'm still not entirely clear on where the codes are printed or what exactly is going on between the Sharp and Samsung panels.
post #2367 of 2566 Old 08-18-2013, 08:39 PM

Liked: 10
Purchased this particular set last week, and quickly realized that in all four corners there were blackish circles. Promptly returned the set, naturally thinking there it was a defect. I hooked up my second set and it had the identical issue, arguably even worse than before. Now I'm thinking I should return the set; anyone else have a similair problem?
post #2368 of 2566 Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 PM

Liked: 22
A couple updates after a year of ownership of a UN55EH6070. I last posted to this thread about a year ago.

The audio sync problem with the new firmware: It can't be fixed. Never had an audio sync problem until I updated to the latest firmware which claimed to "fix HDMI audio sync problems" and improve picture quality. Well my picture quality does look better, see below. But as soon as I installed the updated firmware, I noticed random and frequent severe audio sync problems via HDMI connection after changing channels or start/stopping/skipping content on Dish Network VIP 722k DVR or Panasonic Blue Ray player over HDMI. I tried everything, bypassing the AV receiver, service settings etc. No accessible settings can fix the severe sync problem. Deep searches, including earlier comments on this thread, seem to indicate an un-fixable "lip sync" defect on this model. The work around is to turn the TV off and on again to reset the audio. Not too bad at first glance, but it happens 2 or 3 times when channel surfing over an hour. This is poor quality and disappointing result of a Samsung firmware update. I'll be dropping stars on my #1 rated Amazon review shortly. Not that it matters since the model has since been replaced.

One positive result with the new firmware is improved picture quality. It looked different and good after firmware update but something was not quite right with contrast or brightness. While troubleshooting the audio sync problem I decided to download a chess calibration pattern from other threads in this forum and run the advanced service menu HDMI calibration. With that and and another calibration from the Disney WOW Blue Ray, I can say that my picture quality is quite clearly the best it has ever been. Something in the new firmware improved depth or dynamic range or perhaps contrast management. Calibrating lead me to bring Color setting down to 39 and brightness to 44 to avoid edge viewing angle black wash, with backlight set to 20. The picture is noticeably more rich. Outstanding picture quality in fact. Except for the poor viewing angle performance (compared to our old Vizio in the bedroom). I use an AV receiver for movie and serious sports viewing which eliminates the audio sync issue over TV speaker. However, for daily family/kid viewing, that audio sync issue really sucks. It is sad that it cannot be fixed.

Avoid this model unless you can work around the audio sync issues via AV receiver. UN55EH6070 TH01 panel type. I did expect better firmware and support from Samsung. I will only buy Samsung again if OLED/4K price points stay below the competition in 2015 or 2016.
post #2369 of 2566 Old 08-21-2013, 09:11 PM
BWX

So is that lip-sync feature something you can turn off, or adjust at all in the regular menus?

My mom's TV is hooked through an AV receiver and the TV speakers aren't even used 99.999% of the time. Maybe it would be worth upgrading for the improved IQ for her. I bet they fix the sync issue with another update though... at least you would hope they would.

post #2370 of 2566 Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM

Liked: 22
No adjustment will fix this lip sync issue. The audio delay setting only delays audio, there is no "- ms" minus setting available to make the audio sync earlier. The problem is that the audio is significantly late and the amount of delay is not consistent and the problem is random. I doubt we will see another firmware update since the TV is now discontinued.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55eh6000 Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Ln37d550 Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un46eh6000 Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 40 Inch Led 3d Hdtv Un40eh6030 , Samsung Ln46c630 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page