AVS Forum banner
583K views 3K replies 484 participants last post by  ipeleshok 
#1 ·
Just got the 40" model yesterday. Version TS02. Beautiful, minimalist design with a slim, half-inch bezel. It's a bit thick for an LED (listed at 3.7"), but has down-firing speakers facilitated by that thickness.

Haven't had a chance to play around with it much, but so far, I'm impressed. It takes up the same amount of space as the 37" LN37D550 it replaces in a bedroom cabinet. Nice blacks, decent viewing angle (better than the LN37D550 as far as I can tell), decent uniformity (haven't noticed any flashlighting, etc.), and the sound isn't bad (the bottom speakers help).

Anyone else taken the plunge on this one yet?

#2,152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillyard23  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2130#post_23056663

I purchased a 46EH6000 and loved it so much that I purchased a 55EH6000.

The 46" is a TS02 panel and the 55" is a TH02 panel. I can honestly say the TH02 screen is NOT as good as the TS02. And now the 55" TH02 has a stuck bright green pixel. The picture doesn't have any banding and the picture quality is good but not nearly as good as the 46" TS02.

I got it from amazon and still in the 30 day return period and wonder if I should return it over one stuck pixel? I'm going to try one of those programs to try to get the pixel unstuck. I really don't want to end up with a CHXX panel or worse.

Thought I would share my experiences.

Amazon is great about returns and will refund your money as soon as the return ships. I bet they would ship you a replacement as soon as you schedule a pickup. For what it is worth, I got my un55eh6000 from amazon a week ago and it was a TH02 panel..

#2,154 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwener  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2130#post_23057579

You could try standard mode to see how you like it. Most seem to prefer movie (because it doesn't have auto dimming, as you recognize), but standard is generally brighter. I notice that if I watch the TV on standard for a while and then switch over to movie mode the picture kind of has this olive-grey look at first, though I quickly adjust to it.

I wish there was some way to disable auto-dimming on standard. I had the day off today and spent the better part of it fooling with settings. I had it looking great, but now that the sun has gone down, the picture does not look the same. Is there any way to get movie to be as bright as standard is during daytime? Anyway to disable the auto-dim feature all together?

#2,155 ·
hey guys i just posted this in the calibration forum but i figued id ask here since you guys have the same tv

Hello everyone,

Hoping someone can quickly answer this. I'm fairly new to all this. I bought a disney wow blu ray before I found the avs hd 709 (could have saved myself $18) oh well. Anyways I'm trying to configure my new samsung un40eh6000. After reading online a lot of people say to enable super white on the ps3.

When I enable super white my contrast gets all weird like below. Same goes for the disney wow cd, all the stars are visible even at 100% contrast. In order to get reference white or pure white i have to raise my brightness 10-15+ points so that i dont see any bars after 235 which then washes out black.

However, if i leave super white off it just clips it exactly where it needs to be and i adjust my brightness & contrast a few clicks (which seems like the right setting). Is the tv smart enough and just knows to clip everything after reference white & black and to know there shouldnt be anymore information? When super whites off if i just raise my brightness or contrast to the max the lines (hd 709) or stars (wow cd) never even show show up.

So should i leave super white on or off? I did also notice super white makes whites more "white" but when off, white becomes more "grey"

#2,156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skep1  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2130#post_23058789

I wish there was some way to disable auto-dimming on standard. I had the day off today and spent the better part of it fooling with settings. I had it looking great, but now that the sun has gone down, the picture does not look the same. Is there any way to get movie to be as bright as standard is during daytime? Anyway to disable the auto-dim feature all together?

Mine doesn't auto dim on standard might have something to do with eco sensor IDK mine is off.

also what is the purpose of led motion plus all i see it doing is making the screen really dark and awful looking.

edit

never mind i notice it dimming

#2,157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo23019  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2150_50#post_23059970

Mine doesn't auto dim on standard might have something to do with eco sensor IDK mine is off.

also what is the purpose of led motion plus all i see it doing is making the screen really dark and awful looking.

Led motion plus use the led backlight strobing effect to minimize blur and also give it the plasma motion quality.

You will need to increase contrast, brightness and backlight to compensate the darker screen.

You can test it with this download: 30fps vs 60fps mp4 video in here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456808/30fps-vs-60fps-motion-test-frame-doubling-motion-smoother-cmr-trumotion-motionflow-etc

#2,158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo23019  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2130#post_23059970

Near as I can tell, the primary purpose of LED motion plus is to dim the screen so much that you are more concerned about that and don't notice motion blur as much.

#2,159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrad  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2130#post_23060224

Led motion plus use the led backlight strobing effect to minimize blur and also give it the plasma motion quality.

You will need to increase contrast, brightness and backlight to compensate the darker screen.

You can test it with this download: 30fps vs 60fps mp4 video in here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456808/30fps-vs-60fps-motion-test-frame-doubling-motion-smoother-cmr-trumotion-motionflow-etc

Thanks for the heads up yea I have my contrast all the way up, dynamic to medium already. I can adjust brightness but this setting alone doesn't bring back what i lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwener  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2130#post_23060676

Near as I can tell, the primary purpose of LED motion plus is to dim the screen so much that you are more concerned about that and don't notice motion blur as much.
Lol so true.

#2,160 ·
On the EH6030, you can actually use LED Motion Plus and still get a reasonably bright image (40 fL+). Also, on that set it does seems to reduce motion blur visibly on video or games with really fast motion.

On the EH6000, I couldn't get more than 25 fL out of the set with that setting enabled (which is why I suspect most here leave it off).

#2,161 ·
Only motion issues I have is when watching 1080 interlaced *cable tv* content. 1080p is fine

even with AMP set to clear 1080i movement isn't always great.

I just went and set my cable box to only use 720p and TBH picture look better handles fast motion better, no smudging less noise i was getting with 1080i.

Only problem its not native but cant really tell unless you look very close its not as sharp but raising sharpness helps little.

#2,162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteczech  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2130#post_23059175

hey guys i just posted this in the calibration forum but i figued id ask here since you guys have the same tv

Hello everyone,

Hoping someone can quickly answer this. I'm fairly new to all this. I bought a disney wow blu ray before I found the avs hd 709 (could have saved myself $18) oh well. Anyways I'm trying to configure my new samsung un40eh6000. After reading online a lot of people say to enable super white on the ps3.

When I enable super white my contrast gets all weird like below. Same goes for the disney wow cd, all the stars are visible even at 100% contrast. In order to get reference white or pure white i have to raise my brightness 10-15+ points so that i dont see any bars after 235 which then washes out black.

However, if i leave super white off it just clips it exactly where it needs to be and i adjust my brightness & contrast a few clicks (which seems like the right setting). Is the tv smart enough and just knows to clip everything after reference white & black and to know there shouldnt be anymore information? When super whites off if i just raise my brightness or contrast to the max the lines (hd 709) or stars (wow cd) never even show show up.

So should i leave super white on or off? I did also notice super white makes whites more "white" but when off, white becomes more "grey"

Don't know about super white on PS3 but I think you may be confused about calibrating contrast. You don't have to get it to clip at reference white. As long as you can see the bars or stars above reference white you are okay. So actually your fist photo looks fine. It is not like brightness where you want to get it to clip right at reference black. Take a look at the video on the AVS disk. I think they explain this. I was just as confused when I first calibrated contrast until I read the instructions more closely and watched the AVS video.

#2,164 ·
Could somebody provide optimal calibration settings for the Samsung UN55EH6000 tv? I just replaced my Panasonic Plasma and feel the picture isn't as nice as my older Panasonic. My room is usually on the brighter side with natural light but is also viewed at night. Thanks in advance!

#2,165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skep1  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2130#post_23058789

You can't disable it on Standard, but you CAN calibrate Movie mode to look the same as Standard and just use that instead.

I assume when you say that movie mode isn't as "bright" as standard that you are referring to the differences in contrast.

Standard has a higher default white point (contrast) setting than movie mode. Viewing in Standard mode and setting Contrast to 100 is about the same as viewing in movie mode and having the contrast at 106! If you want to raise Movie mode contrast above the 100 limit, you need to simultaneously turn up the RGB gains, which has the same effect as raising the white point. If you set both sets to the same contrast setting, then go into movie mode's white balance and turn up each of the RGB gains up by 14 points, you will have equivalent contrast between movie and standard modes.

I have my movie and standard modes calibrated to look identical (see my sig).

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteczech  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2130#post_23059175

Super white enables the PS3 to pass whiter than white information (above 235). Disabling it makes the PS3 hard clip any information above 235. This is why when you have super white off you can raise your brightness/contrast controls and still never see anything above 235. The PS3 clips off anything above 235 before your TV ever receives the signal.

Generally it's recommend to show that information if you can (Super White ON). You can't tell if your setting your contrast/white point correctly if the information is always clipped no matter what you set the control to.

With super white ON, you don't HAVE to clip everything at 235, but if you want to you can do what I said above and raise the RGB gains to raise the contrast above the 100 limit (I assume your doing this on movie mode, as Standard can already clip near 235 I think).

I suggest reading the AVS HD 709 "patterns manual" for more information about how to use that pattern and where to clip/set the white point.

By the way, hard clipping at 235 does NOT make your whites whiter. You can actually gets whiter whites by showing information above 235.

Here is an animated gifs showing the difference between hard clipping at 235 and showing whiter than white information. No settings were changed on the TV and the camera was in manual mode so it didn't compensate for the image differences. The only thing changed was whether the source output whiter than white or hard clipped at 235.

(Open them in a new window to see better....)

You can see that everything under 235 looks identical, but pay attention to what happens above 235. The hard clipped signal stays a constant shade of very light gray (235 will be your whitest signal), while the WTW signal keeps getting brighter and whiter as it continues to show the brighter signals up to 255.

You can see the bars stand out more on the whiter than white signal. This is because their white backgrounds become whiter (because they're reaching their 255 potential and not being limited to light grey 235 backgrounds). So the bars have more of a contrast between them and the 255 background, which is why you see them more clearly. On the 235 clipped signal, the background itself is only 235 which is only light grey, so the bars have less contrast between them and the background and blend in more. All of the actual bars (below 235 at least) are identical on both images, it just that background is noticeably whiter on the WTW signal so they stand out more.

It may look like the WTW signal has darker grey bars, but it's just the whiter background that's fooling your eyes into thinking the bars look darker. If you zoom in and ignore the white background, the shades of grey on the bars are the exact same shade.

Here are more still images of showing WTW and hard clipping, if you want to compare those as well:

Reactions: PlasmaPZ80U
#2,166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2160#post_23065793

You can't disable it on Standard, but you CAN calibrate Movie mode to look the same as Standard and just use that instead.

I assume when you say that movie mode isn't as "bright" as standard that you are referring to the differences in contrast.

Standard has a higher default white point (contrast) setting than movie mode. Viewing in Standard mode and setting Contrast to 100 is about the same as viewing in movie mode and having the contrast at 106! If you want to raise Movie mode contrast above the 100 limit, you need to simultaneously turn up the RGB gains, which has the same effect as raising the white point. If you set both sets to the same contrast setting, then go into movie mode's white balance and turn up each of the RGB gains up by 14 points, you will have equivalent contrast between movie and standard modes.

Super white enables the PS3 to pass whiter than white information (above 235). Disabling it makes the PS3 hard clip any information above 235. This is why when you have super white off you can raise your brightness/contrast controls and still never see anything above 235. The PS3 clips off anything above 235 before your TV ever receives the signal.

Generally it's recommend to show that information if you can (Super White ON). You can't tell if your setting your contrast/white point correctly if the information is always clipped no matter what you set the control to.

Thanks! I will give that a shot when I get home. I noticed this weekend when trying to adjust my contrast using the AVS disk, that when playing through the WDLive I was able to see grey flashing well over 235, but when playing the same file on my mac mini, I could only see 233 max. I know that there is a problem with the 2012 mac mini and crushing whites, but I had the same issue with the beta update that apparently fixes this issue, and when using a mini dp/dvi adapter. I also forced the mini to run in RGB by using a script and found the same results. Perhaps it is just a limitation on the Mini?

#2,167 ·
I'm confused with this auto dim feature .

If it cant be disable in standard what am i looking for i dont notice my screen getting dim.

I remember when i first got TV it would seem to happen

take movie credits or example the brightness on text would dim little

some times during credits you will see extra movie footage at same time its showing credits and at this time the text would be bright again.

but now i dont see this happening its always bright.

edit

nevermind i see it

wish they didn't lock out advance settings in service menu

#2,168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2160#post_23065793

I tried to up my movie white balance gains by 14 in movie and color by 12, and it still isn't quite right. The whites are still a little tan/warm. I am not sure if the white balance offset has anything to do with it. I have tried using default 25 and only adjusting the gains on both modes. Here are my current settings in standard. I think i might be able to live with these, but really hate any type of auto-dim feature.

Mode: Standard

Backlight: 18

Contrast: 92

Brightness: 42

Sharpness: 5

Color: 38

Tint: G51/R49

Color Space: Auto

White Balance: R-Offset: 23 G-Offset: 27 B-Offset: 22 R-Gain: 10 G-Gain: 26 B-Gain: 21

Gamma: 0

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Black Tone: Off

Flesh Tone: Off

Motion Lighting: Off

Color Tone: Warm1

Size: Screen Fit

Digital Noise Filer: Off

HDM Black Level: Normal (Grayed Out)

FIlm Mode: Off

Auto Motion Plus: Clear

LED Motion Plus: Off

#2,169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skep1  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2160#post_23069051

I tried to up my movie white balance gains by 14 in movie and color by 12, and it still isn't quite right. The whites are still a little tan/warm. I am not sure if the white balance offset has anything to do with it. I have tried using default 25 and only adjusting the gains on both modes. Here are my current settings in standard. I think i might be able to live with these, but really hate any type of auto-dim feature.

Try setting Standard and Movie modes both exactly how I have them in my settings, and tell me if they still look different. If they look the same, then fine tune them from there, keeping the same ratios between standard and movie (so, if you turn color down by 3 on one, turn it down by 3 on the other, etc.)

#2,170 ·
Thanks for detailed information.

As I only have 4 days left for my return window (best buys new 15 day return policy sucks) I have two more questions. If I decide to keep the tv should I go for the extended warranty or no? Is samsungs 2 year good enough?

Last is sometimes when I'm fast forwarding on my cox DVR the screen will cut out and say no signal. Is that normal or some weird feature? Or is something wrong?

#2,172 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellMystic  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2160#post_23070303

Does anyone know anything about MH01 panel version? looking at buying a 65" but want a good panel. thx for the help!

I think it is MVA from AUO Optronics. The service menu for Mxxx shows "L."

#2,173 ·

Quote:

When I turn Super White ON, the bright whites turn pink. Am i doing something wrong?

#2,176 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnly  /t/1395734/official-samsung-unxxeh6000-owners-thread/2160#post_23070905

When I turn Super White ON, the bright whites turn pink. Am i doing something wrong?

You're seeing color shift at the very upper end of greyscale.

These sets tend to have a pinkish caste on the greyscale, which is why some of us have adusted the white balance and turned down the red gain to correct for it.

You didn't see it while super white was OFF because you were only hitting 235, and the greyscales shifts more noticeably towards red AFTER 235 (between 235 and 255). So you can see it better when you're reaching those higher levels when super white is ON.

Try turning down your red gain. You should also be on Warm 1 or Warm 2, not Cool or Standard (which have even more red+blue = pink). If you look at my white balance settings, you will see I have turned down my red gain in relation to the blue and green gain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.