AVS Forum banner
583K views 3K replies 484 participants last post by  ipeleshok 
#1 ·
Just got the 40" model yesterday. Version TS02. Beautiful, minimalist design with a slim, half-inch bezel. It's a bit thick for an LED (listed at 3.7"), but has down-firing speakers facilitated by that thickness.

Haven't had a chance to play around with it much, but so far, I'm impressed. It takes up the same amount of space as the 37" LN37D550 it replaces in a bedroom cabinet. Nice blacks, decent viewing angle (better than the LN37D550 as far as I can tell), decent uniformity (haven't noticed any flashlighting, etc.), and the sound isn't bad (the bottom speakers help).

Anyone else taken the plunge on this one yet?

#2 ·
I am waiting for the 55" to come out at Amazon.

The thickness is very strange. My 46" 2010 model CCFL LCD, LN46C630, is 3.4" thick.

This 2012 LED backlit series, UNXXEH6000, is 3.7" thick. From what I can tell it is still edge-lit. Am I missing something?

Edit 1: The MSRP for the UN55EH6000 is $1400. A new UN55D6000 is also on sale for $1400 at Amazon. Unless the 2012 model blows it away in IQ, then the 2011 model may be a good pickup.

Edit 2: Based on the fact that the new 2012 LED-lit LCD have either become thicker than a 2007 CCFL LCD or have the spider legs stand with a huge price tag, I decided to purchase the UN55D6000. Unless there is a major defect in my new TV or the new 2012 models are an amazing upgrade in IQ, I will stick with the 2011 model (Amazon has free 30 day returns just in case I am indecisive).

#6 ·
#7 ·
I'm wondering if the motion and 3:2 pulldown issues cited in the TelevisionInfo.com review might be less of a problem in the EH5000 series, with its 60Hz refresh rate instead of the EH6000 series' 120Hz. I still have a few weeks to exchange my EH6000 if the EH5000 turns out to have better performance.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Pattern /forum/post/21714750

I'm wondering if the motion and 3:2 pulldown issues cited in the TelevisionInfo.com review might be less of a problem in the EH5000 series, with its 60Hz refresh rate instead of the EH6000 series' 120Hz. I still have a few weeks to exchange my EH6000 if the EH5000 turns out to have better performance.

Per TelevisionInfo.com, a review of the EH5000 will be posted within the next couple of days, and will make direct comparisons with the performance of the EH6000. Definitely a must-read for anyone considering these two models.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV /forum/post/21768762

What is Samsung thinking? Is this a retro look LCD series? Why so damn fat for an LED? 3.7 inches thick is thick as my 2008 LCD. A thin bezel with a fat back! Yo - I don't get it.

It's a direct-lit LED screen, i.e., the LEDs are behind the screen, not at its edges. Also, it tapers to that thickness from fairly thin edges, so that in person it doesn't look that clunky. It actually looks great from the front--probably the thinnest bezel yet available in that price range (along with the even cheaper EH5000 series), without the flashlighting and uniformity issues typically associated with thinner, edge-lit LEDs.

Personally, I'd rather have a thinner bezel and more uniformity instead of a thinner set, especially in that price range. But I'm not hanging it on a wall, so thinness is irrelevant. In fact, I have it in a cabinet, where its form factor works perfectly.

#12 ·
I bought the ln55d6000 less than a month ago. The flashlighting and slight discoloration in dark scenes due to this is midly annoying. The glossy screen is killing me in my living room though.

I can initiate a return for the next week to Amazon, and have a legitimate reason in the flashlighting.

Is it worth the hassle to pick this up instead (i.e. deal with returning a 55" TV and ordering a new one)? I can't find if it is a glossy or matte screen though (does Samsung even make a matte screen anymore??).

This will be in a cabinet with about 1" clearance on all sides, so thickness does not matter.

#13 ·
Hey Fat is ok! As long as there aren't issues with 'flashlighting, line bleed, clouding, off-angle viewing' So it's thick, who cares? thin bezel is way cool too! Stand swivel too? Is the panel clear or matte finish? How are the reflections?

I'd gladly turn in my thin-to-win D7000 for a thicker panel if it got rid of the god awful flashlighting, line bleed, off-angle viewing issues.......

Here's another take from some1 else on this subject, "BUT NO .. we WANT THIN TV

like u can actually see how thin it is when looking in front of it ...

it's all about LOOKS!
"

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 /forum/post/21801361

Hey Fat is ok! As long as there aren't issues with 'flashlighting, line bleed, clouding, off-angle viewing' So it's thickm, who cares? thin bezel is way cool too! Stand swivel too? Is the panel clear or matte finish? How are the reflections?

I'd gladly turn in my thin-to-win D7000 for a thicker panel if it got rid of the god awful flashlighting, line bleed, off-angle viewing issues.......

Here's another take from some1 else on this subject, "BUT NO .. we WANT THIN TV

like u can actually see how thin it is when looking in front of it ...

it's all about LOOKS!
"

Same way I feel. If the flashlighting/clouding is gone and the IQ is as good as the D6000 it may be worth getting.

Just not sure how I feel about returning a TV to Amazon....seems like a huge hassle.

Also...seems like the screen is glossy, but I think all Samsung TVs are now. My LN46C630 screen is so much better in my living room due to being a matte screen.

#15 ·
For anyone who's interested, TelevisionInfo.com has now posted a review of the UN40EH5000, which they actually prefer to the UN40EH6000 (ignore the overall score currently at the beginning of the review, which apparently is an error due to their ongoing recalibration of their scoring system):

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm (UN40EH5000 review)

And to include it in the same post for the sake of completeness, here is their review of the UN40EH6000:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm (UN40EH6000 review)

#16 ·
I picked up the UN55D6000 to replace my LN52A550 that went south.Was very annoyed with cloudy picture and nearly took it back.After 4 months,picture seems to have cleared up and now I love this set as much as the LN52.Have it set up on home network and can stream content from 4 computers and Samsung Smart Hub.Great set for the price.

#17 ·
So now that I found the thread I'll post my thoughts....again.

I recently bought this to put in my home theater room as a PC monitor (Not for TV and movies as my Epson 8350 handles those duties.)

If you don't want/need 3D, or web connectivity (smart-TV) then this TV might be for you. It doesn't have the super slim body but it does have a slick style and lets face it the picture is whats important. After calibration this TV has greatly impressed me. Very good solid blacks and whites. Colors pop but are natural at the same time.

It's a 120Hz TV and PC gaming is beautiful No issues at all. I have to say I was looking for a monitor to replace my old Westinghouse 37" LCD for PC duties and I couldn't be happier. I own 5 HD TV's now including this new Samsung and one HD projector and its been a very pleasant surprise. I expected a good screen and got more for my money. Sure this model is a more stripped down unit but if you don't need all the bells and whistles then this might be the right TV for you. At $779 you could do worse.

#20 ·
Saw this in the store tonight and it really looked amazing for a LED tv. didn't seem to have any uniformity issues or anything.

#1 important question for me here... has anyone done screen lag testing? Curious on the MS time.

Also strange that the 40'' is 120hz where the 46'' is 240hz.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00firebird /forum/post/21825190

Also strange that the 40'' is 120hz where the 46'' is 240hz.

All the UN**EH6000 models are 120 Hz with a CMR of 240.

The UN**EH5000, UN**EH5050 and UN**EH5300 are 60 Hz sets with a CMR of 120.

CMR = Clear Motion Rate

As per Samsung's web site:

"Experience sharp picture quality, even when you are watching fast-moving images like sports or action movies. Clear Motion Rate was developed to accurately measure how well an LCD or LED TV can depict fast-moving images. Previously, motion-clarity was calculated by the frame refresh rate alone. But CMR offers a more complete measure by calculating 3 factors: frame refresh rate, image processor speed and backlight technology. A CMR of 240 - 480 takes motion-clarity to the next level. LED TVs with this CMR can display action-packed movement with even sharper detail and deeper levels of contrast while eliminating image distortion."

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 /forum/post/21825204

are there any clouding, flashlighting or uniformity issues on this set?

Not to my eyes, but I haven't done any formal testing with full black/white screens, etc.

Keep in mind that the EH5000, EH5050, EH5300, and EH6000 are all direct-lit LEDs, and not edge-lit, which significantly reduces/eliminates issues such as uniformity and flashlighting that are often associated with edge-lit LEDs. The reviews to which I linked in post #15, above, corroborate that.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 /forum/post/21825204

are there any clouding, flashlighting or uniformity issues on this set?

This is what televisioninfo had to say:

An all-white screen on the UN40EH6000 proved to be superbly uniform. The only fault we could find – and we had to really look for it – was some slight dimming on the corners. This Samsung shows some excellent overall screen uniformity.

I too noticed ever so slight dimming in the corners even on a CCFL set. It seems that back-lit sets share the inverse problem of Edge-lit sets which are brighter around the corners and edges.

After a little over a year I am looking to ditch my panny G25 plasma and going back to LCD. I just ordered a LN40D630 today. I noticed instantly the blurring of the dark tones but I am hoping I can live with it. It was kind of a desperation purchase seeing as how they are being phased out and are already sold out everywhere.

It is mind boggling and scary as a consumer to think that just a couple of years ago Full Array local dimming LED TVs appeared to be the future. You can't even find them anymore except on the Sharp Elites? This years' samsung base 5 and 6 series for the same money no longer offer ethernet, WiFi, DNLA and have only 2 HDMI ports! That is way too low. Most households have at least 2 consoles, a bluray player and a HD cable box. Not sure how much samsung is saving per set by cutting those 2 extra HDMI ports but it seems like an over-exaggeration.

On the plus side, these new sets appear to have great viewing angles and the thin bezel(when viewed from the front) is sexy! It's also amazing how LEDs cost half as much electricity to operate than CCFL which in turn cost half as much as plasmas in general. I'm just not sure if those positives are enough to make up for what you're giving up.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson777 /forum/post/21826993

This years' samsung base 5 and 6 series for the same money no longer offer ethernet, WiFi, DNLA and have only 2 HDMI ports! That is way too low. Most households have at least 2 consoles, a bluray player and a HD cable box. Not sure how much samsung is saving per set by cutting those 2 extra HDMI ports but it seems like an over-exaggeration.

The EH5300 is a "Smart TV" with a Internet Browser and Search using built in Wifi and Etherner Port as well as 3 HDMI ports. It's about $30-$50 more for the EH5300 over the EH5000.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEdortheHighway /forum/post/21827335

The EH5300 is a "Smart TV" with a Internet Browser and Search using built in Wifi and Etherner Port as well as 3 HDMI ports. It's about $30-$50 more for the EH5300 over the EH5000.

This is a very good point however I only buy from brick&mortar stores. Brick&mortar don't usually carry every model. Will my local futureshop carry the EH5300 model? I don't know. Secondly, the EH5300 is still only a 60hz TV and with one less HDMI port.

Inorder to get something comparable to the LN40D630, you need to jump to the UN40ES6100 which is edge-lit with all it's faults and $400 more!! Just a few years ago, the same money would buy a better TV every year... better contrast ratio, more features etc.. it seems that this trend has reversed itself and consumers are getting less and less for their money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.