bought crap tv....now what? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a 24" Dynex LCD 1080 TV at a big box store. It was open box. Someone was with me and convinced me to go with a cheaper set. It was $200 including taxes. The display version in the store looked fine. I wasn't expecting Samsung or Panasonic quality (picture) but...

After it was set up, it looked awful. Colours are washed out and flesh tones look almost white or whitey-pink. I messed with settings but it doesn't really do much.

I changed the aspect ratio but heads are still cut off. Also, I use a cable digital box and the info text is cut off both up top and at the bottom. So, the option is to use the 'black bars' or where everything at the edges are cut off.

But, the worst part is the picture. I am planning on taking it back but maybe someone here can give me some advice? Please? I was going to get a 32" but a Samsung I was interested in wasn't in stock. There was only a LG or Phillips in the price range I was considering (no more than $299 + tax). So, it was between a cheaper set and the LG. I was wondering if a 'brand new' Dynex would be as bad.

I read reviews about Dynex sets and users seemed to give them decent reviews. But, there's a TV info site I found which really roasts Dynex quality. They don't like them at all:

Did I just get a bad apple or is QC really awful with these sets? Is there any way to improve the picture or did I do something wrong?

Thanks for any advice. I'm planning on returning the set on the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do you have an HD cable box? How is it connected to the television?

I've played around with Dynex in BB & have not been impressed with the PQ. The picture was noisy & had noticeable blooming. Just about anything else you find will likely be better.
post #3 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Honestly at that price point you might consider looking for used sets locally or buy something well reviewed (since you won't be able to see it for yourself) on Amazon. Your money will typically go further there.
post #4 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Digital Rules ask the right question, how is hooked up. Also, you may have to go into the setup menu of your cable box and physically set the output to 720p/1080i and the aspect ratio to 16:9
post #5 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
1) dynex
2) open box item
3) surprise!

You can try the suggestions above, but that won't help with "washed out colors and flesh tones".

You can try to exchange and/or get another (new for a few $$ more) Dynex, but... IMHO, you get what you pay for.

Also, I'd take someone else for "recommendations" on the next trip to the store.
post #6 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

1) dynex
2) open box item
3) surprise!

You can try the suggestions above, but that won't help with "washed out colors and flesh tones".

You can try to exchange and/or get another (new for a few $$ more) Dynex, but... IMHO, you get what you pay for.

Also, I'd take someone else for "recommendations" on the next trip to the store.

We certainly agree on this one.

$200 + Dynex + open box = crap
post #7 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

What did you expect from Die-nex eeerrrrr i meant Dynex. lol
post #8 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

LOL! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.... for all the replies! So good to get some feedback here! :-)

Keep in mind, I'm a 'TV newbie.' But, here's some more answers and info.

It's SD Cable. The connection to the TV is just the coax cable. Coax cable from the wall to the digital box and one to the TV. But, the CRT TV that died had a decent picture. I know it's different technology but just saying.

The digital box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3200. It sounds old to me.

The Dynex TV model is DX-24L200A12. I think I set it up for the proper tuning or setting for 1080p and aspect ratio. The user guide is online.

So, this is definitely not the optimal connection for getting the best picture quality possible. I don't know if it's the primary culprit for a poor picture. I am inclined to think that the Dynex TV is still a dud. But, with this new info given, what do you guys think?

I still think I should take it back but do you have any more advice?

I am going to contact the Digital Cable provider to see if it's possible to get a different digital box that has a HDMI input. The current box doesn't have one. No one wants a higher fee to the bill, though. What can we expect? Does it have to be a HD box or?

Sorry, I didn't provide these details in the original post. Looking forward to the replies now.
post #9 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I guess my question would be why would you buy an HD TV (Dynex or not) and not get an HD box and subscribe to HD service? SD is notoriously bad on HDTVs anyway. You've made a bad situation even worse. However, if you're in an urban area with lots of nearby stations, you might try hooking up a $10 set of "rabbit ears" just to see what the picture looks like in HD.
post #10 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtyme View Post

... It's SD Cable. The connection to the TV is just the coax cable. Coax cable from the wall to the digital box and one to the TV. But, the CRT TV that died had a decent picture. I know it's different technology but just saying....

By using the cable box, you're just sending an SD signal to the TV.

However, the FCC mandated that cable carriers provide any local HD stations over the wire FOR FREE. So try this: disconnect the coax from the input on the cable box and plug it into the TV coax input. Then go to the TV Menu and scan for cable channels (also could be called program channels, autoprogram, etc.)

For example, in our area locals are 2-Fox, 4-NBC, 7-ABC, 62-CBS etc. So, after scanning for channels, Comcast in our area gives us FoxHD on 2-1, NBCHD on 4-1, ABCHD on 7-1, etc. We get all seven local channels in HD that we can select with a -1 appended to their channel number.

This will allow you to see what your TV can do with an HD signal. In our case the picture is absolutely perfect, possibly even better than the one we get thru our HD cablebox and HDMI.

Of course, you'll only get the cable company's cable channels in SD, but, if you can live with that, return the cablebox and enjoy the local channels in HD. If your TV doesn't give you a good enough picture in HD this way, return it. Let us know how it goes.
post #11 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I guess my question would be why would you buy an HD TV (Dynex or not) and not get an HD box and subscribe to HD service? SD is notoriously bad on HDTVs anyway. You've made a bad situation even worse. However, if you're in an urban area with lots of nearby stations, you might try hooking up a $10 set of "rabbit ears" just to see what the picture looks like in HD.

Bingo.
post #12 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

or... just try connecting the coax directly from the wall to the TV. Set the input to "cable" and scan for channels. You will probably get "local" channels in HD. If that meets your expectations, then there are/may be two options:
1) rent an HD capable cable box from your provider
2) use a splitter and proper cables and use what you currently rent
post #13 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 03:14 PM

I would talk to your Cable provider and see if there are any existing specials going on for upgrading to an HD box or maybe see if there are any bundles which include HD cable that you could take advantage of.
post #14 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

LOL... they will always have "specials" to get anyone to subscribe to a higher tier of service. Bottom line is:
1) rent a SD cable box for $5 a month and use the "splitter" solution.
2) rent a HD cable box for $10 a month and make it easy.

Personally... for a $200 "open box" item, I'd choose door #1.
post #15 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

or... just try connecting the coax directly from the wall to the TV. Set the input to "cable" and scan for channels. You will probably get "local" channels in HD. If that meets your expectations, then there are/may be two options:
1) rent an HD capable cable box from your provider
2) use a splitter and proper cables and use what you currently rent

I tried the coax (from the wall) directly into the TV. No difference. Some very grainy channels or noise.

Would getting a HD box help?

The CRT TVs didn't have any trouble with the picture until they died. Is this because it's a digital LCD TV? The Dynex might not be 100% to blame or?

I'm a bit confused now. I couldn't 'find' any HD channels. I don't think I can tune to them with the TV tuner. The 'local' channels sure don't look like they're in HD.

"2) use a splitter and proper cables and use what you currently rent"

Not sure how to do that. ???
post #16 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 06:26 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried the coax (from the wall) directly into the TV. No difference. Some very grainy channels or noise.

The CRT TVs didn't have any trouble with the picture until they died. Is this because it's a digital LCD TV? The Dynex might not be 100% to blame or?

I'm a bit confused now. I couldn't 'find' any HD channels. I don't think I can tune to them with the TV tuner. The 'local' channels sure don't look like they're in HD.

After you hooked up the cable from the wall, did you go into the TV Menu and do Autoprogram or Scan for channels? Did you do it for cable channels? Did it ask you whether you cable provider was STD, HRC, or IRC?
post #17 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 06:28 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

What are you trying to do? If you are trying to get local channels over the air, you will need antenna and probably a amp. Are you trying to combine your cable with over the air with a splitter?

You might get lucky and get a few channels without a antenna, but you have a better chance with one. Your tv has the option of searching for channels in Digital, Analog, or both. There are very few stations that still transmit in Analog. If you are performing a search in Analog only, that might be the reason you get nada.

I don't live anywhere close to a metropolis, but I get 22 channels in HD over the air.

When you do get a channel, you can verify it's in HD/1080, by selecting Info on your remote or menu. At least you can with mine.

What I don't understand is why people pay the cable company for local channels in HD or Digital, when they are already free.
post #18 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

After you hooked up the cable from the wall, did you go into the TV Menu and do Autoprogram or Scan for channels? Did you do it for cable channels? Did it ask you whether you cable provider was STD, HRC, or IRC?

I'm doing that now.

Sorry if I sound frustrated....

There's a menu that has really confusing screens.

The one with 'Channels' displays:

Choose Your TV Source

() Antenna RF CH : xx
(x) Cable ( 0 ) Digital Channels
( ) Cable/Satellite Box (xx) Analog Channels

======================|======== etc

The xx represents some number as it's doing the scan.

Info button shows the channel number, whether it's in Stereo and shows:
NTSC and SD (Standard Definition)

I don't think I can get HD at all? I assume there's no free HD channels and I'd need a specific box for it?

I don't have a rabbit antenna. Not sure if that would help.
post #19 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:

I'm doing that now.

Sorry if I sound frustrated....

There's a menu that has really confusing screens.

The one with 'Channels' displays:

Choose Your TV Source

() Antenna RF CH : xx
(x) Cable ( 0 ) Digital Channels
( ) Cable/Satellite Box (xx) Analog Channels

======================|======== etc

The xx represents some number as it's doing the scan.

Info button shows the channel number, whether it's in Stereo and shows:
NTSC and SD (Standard Definition)

I don't think I can get HD at all? I assume there's no free HD channels and I'd need a specific box for it?

I don't have a rabbit antenna. Not sure if that would help.

You need antenna. Buy $8 rabbit ears and I promise you will get something. You might not get a HD channel, but you should get a digital one.

I'm assuming you have Digital selected for searching through channels. Disconnect from your cable box, go to Antenna Input mode, and try scanning for Digital signals.

If you are serious about trying over the air, I would suggest getting a good indoor or outdoor antenna and amplifier. I have the Leaf antenna and 1-Port PCT Amp on both my tvs.

Like I said, I live in Nowheresville, Va, and I get HD over the air.

At this point, you should probably go to Antenna/cable sub-forum with your questions. This isn't the appropriate place to discuss this. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=35
post #20 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfcg View Post

You need antenna. Buy $8 rabbit ears and I promise you will get something. You might not get a HD channel, but you should get a digital one.

I'm assuming you have Digital selected for searching through channels. Disconnect from your cable box and try scanning.

If you are serious about trying over the air, I would suggest getting a good indoor or outdoor antenna and amplifier. I have the Leaf antenna and 1-Port PCT Amp on both my tvs.

Like I said, I like in Nowheresville, Va, and I get HD over the air.

This is in an apt so I can't get anything outdoor.

The scan found around 40 digital channels, the rest are analog. Nothing's changed though. This is really confusing. I don't understand how a modern day LCD TV has garbage for a picture and yet the charge for the signal is nearly $30. Sorry, 'so frustrating. :-/
post #21 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:

The scan found around 40 digital channels, the rest are analog. Nothing's changed though. This is really confusing. I don't understand how a modern day LCD TV has garbage for a picture and yet the charge for the signal is nearly $30. Sorry, 'so frustrating. :-/

Okay, so you did get digital channels. Great. Now you need an antenna and amplifier to pick them up better. My new LED tv didn't pick up channels all that well either, but a antenna and amp rectified that.

I live in apt too, and found the Leaf antenna better than almost all indoor antennas and few outdoor ones I tried. Happy hunting.

In regards to your crappy cable signal, it might not be the actual signal. Could be your set up, cables, shielding, or line loss due to too many connectors. Then again, the problem could be with the outside line or signal. They also make amps for cable signals. That might be an option, after you rule everything else out.

Leaf Antenna
1-Port PCT Amp

BTW, this amp is not for cable amplification. For that, you probably would want to go with one specifically made for it. Motorola makes a couple.
post #22 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Digital signals either work or they don't. Long shot but, does your display have a QAM tuner? As far as OTA signals don't under estimate what you can pick up. For testing purposes take some leftover coax strip back about half an inch exposing the copper and use it as an antenna...I'll bet you get something, most likely your PBS stations that have an excellent HD signal.
But if you found 40 digital channels (straight from the wall?) it's very unlikely none are HD.
Do you have access to a BR player?
post #23 of 33 Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Like topr said, if you found 40 digital channels straight from the wall, it's unlikely that none of them are HD. You're just not accessing the HD ones with your remote. On a Samsung in our area, channel 4 is NBC, and we get NBCHD by pressing channel 4-1. Possibly on your set it would be 4.1. Or 4+, or 4 followed by some other key on the Dynex remote. Or, you may need to add leading zeroes.... like 04-1. Check your manual for how to select HD channels.

Or, often a cable provider might place them somewhere else, like NBC would be channel 4, but NBCHD is channel 77-3. So, select channel 2, then increment to higher channels by pressing the Channel + button. When you get to an HD station, you'll know it.

Also, some TVs can display their Channel List. Find it in your Menu and it will display all 40 you've picked up. Look for some indication of HD channels and the numbering convention for selecting it.
post #24 of 33 Old 02-24-2012, 09:07 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

tvtyme, all we're trying to do is allow you to display some HD channels on your TV so you can see whether or not it's OK. If it's OK, then you could consider getting an HD cablebox and not have to use these methods.

Basically you can connect an antenna OR a cable from the wall (not using a cablebox) to the RF input on the TV. I downloaded your manual. You have an ATSC and QAM tuner that tunes in either source. Then you Automatically Scan for channels, page 23. Page 24 shows the Channel List telling you the channel number, sub channels (e.g. HD) and name and type of channel.

Page 20 shows how to select a subchannel (e.g. an HD channel): on your TV, you use the "." So, in my previous example, on your remote, enter 4.1 for NBCHD. Now, if you get an HD cablebox later, you won't need to do this. For example, our cable box has NBC (standard definition digital) on channel 4, and NBCHD on channel 232.

So, if you can find an HD channel, reset your picture adjustments page 33, and try various Picture Modes first, then carefully adjust contrast, brightness, color, etc.

All HDTVs work the same way, so you're going to have to get an HD cable box right off the bat, or do these techniques with any other one you get. Good luck. Let us know how it goes
post #25 of 33 Old 02-24-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a 32" samsung, I believe the 450 series, it's about 2 yrs old and I can tell you at 720p it looks better than my 1080 52" I think cnet and consumer reports still has it listed as the best 32" available....I think its still around $350 but well worth it IMHO

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #26 of 33 Old 02-24-2012, 05:06 PM

$200 recently got me a new in box 32" 720P LG. I'd take that any day over a brand new generic POS, especially that small!
post #27 of 33 Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 AM

The thing is, the model you purchased isn't a TV. It's a TN monitor with a TV tuner being branded as a TV and, this is the main reason why your picture is garbage. I have yet to see any TV smaller than a 32" in a store that isn't a TN panel.
post #28 of 33 Old 02-27-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

I'm being asked to return it on Wed. I am still confused about what is actually bad. For all I know, the signal (hardware wiring etc./cable provider) is poor! But, then why was it okay with the digital box when using a CRT TV?

I'm concerned that I'll return the TV and a new one will not be any better. At least, there's 30 days for return.

I just wanted to thank all who replies! Keep 'em coming if you have anything to add! :-)

Since, it's in Canada, there are poor choices of sets and they're expensive. Taxes are high and also, there's an 'environmental' fee. Do you have that in the States, too?

The cheapest 32"+ set is a 40" set but it's also a Dynex brand. Maybe 720p sets will help with the aspect ratio choices.

Someone here downloaded the Dynex manual (I appreciate that! ) and this will show that the video modes are:
aspect ratios: auto, normal, wide, zoom, cinema

Someone posted on the forum having a problem with but no one answered him.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1269976

I'm only mentioning it because I'm confused as well! LOL!

But, besides trying to set up the 'best' aspect ratio, the picture is the other issue. However, with some pictures better than other (channels), I am wondering if it's partly the signal and maybe the 1080p factor?

I really don't know. I'm speculating. Another test will be trying a different TV but I wonder how many trips to the big box store I'm going to be doing!

P.S. Would an antenna really help??!? I thought for just using coax (cable signal), maybe, but that's somewhat of an expensive test. I'd have to be able to return it if it doesn't make much difference.
post #29 of 33 Old 02-27-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:

I'm being asked to return it on Wed. I am still confused about what is actually bad. For all I know, the signal (hardware wiring etc./cable provider) is poor! But, then why was it okay with the digital box when using a CRT TV?

Assuming your CRT wasn't a 1080p set, that will make a difference. SD (480) DVDs look better on my 1080i set than they did on my 1080p. It's just the nature of viewing "sub-par" content on a higher resolution/larger screen. That's also assuming your Cable is SD and not HD.

Quote:

Since, it's in Canada, there are poor choices of sets and they're expensive. Taxes are high and also, there's an 'environmental' fee. Do you have that in the States, too?

If we do it's hidden in the cost of the product and not added on after the fact like a gas guzzler tax on a vehicle is.

Quote:

Maybe 720p sets will help with the aspect ratio choices.

You don't want 720p for a PC. 720p is fine for video playback on a 32" but it's insufficient for for PC usage.

Quote:

Someone here downloaded the Dynex manual (I appreciate that! ) and this will show that the video modes are:
aspect ratios: auto, normal, wide, zoom, cinema

Someone posted on the forum having a problem with but no one answered him.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1269976

I'm only mentioning it because I'm confused as well! LOL!

If the Dynex TV has on option to turn off the "overscan" the only options you see will be "normal" (4:3) and "wide" (16:9). The "cinema" and "zoom" modes will zoom in and ruin the image quality. You will leave it on "wide" 99.9% of the time.
post #30 of 33 Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

IIRC, most cable companies also provide local HD stations over a direct line. Did you even plug in your cable directly into the television to see if that could pick up QAM channels? That way you could see what high-def quality would be like with that set, and see what things are like.

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays