Extended warranties? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about ready to buy a Sony 55NX720 and I am wondering should I buy the extended warranty for it? The cost for 3 years is $320.00 and that bumps my price to over $1,800.00 out the door. I just think when someone pays over a grand for something it should work for a long time. Thanks, Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 289
No...
The extended warranty overlaps with the existing manufacturers warranty (probably 1 year), so you're actually buying a 2 year warranty.

If you're buying from a store like Best Buy or HHGregg, etc. they (and Sony) will send you a reminder and offer to purchase an exended warranty after the 1st year. Also, if you purchase with a credit card, many automatically provide extended coverage. Give them a call and inquire.

And... don't purchase cables from the store. They can be purchased online at dramatically lower prices.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 07:20 AM

You should be able to do better than that. When I bought my TV, I got a three year extension to the regular warranty for an additional $29 from a company called SquareTrade. Have no idea how good they are, and I hope I never will.
However, from what I researched, they are fairly well regarded.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

I called my credit card company and they said no. I am buying at sears and all I am getting is 5% off the purchase price.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 08:55 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchorama View Post

I am about ready to buy a Sony 55NX720 and I am wondering should I buy the extended warranty for it? The cost for 3 years is $320.00 and that bumps my price to over $1,800.00 out the door. I just think when someone pays over a grand for something it should work for a long time. Thanks, Mitch

You might want to check the price on Square Trade warranties. Many seem to think they are a very good value.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 289
If paying $300 more for a TV is worth peace of mind... go for it.
Personally, I wouldn't piss away the 1st year warranty for an "additional" 2 year warranty. IMHO, if you want coverage, purchase an extended warranty a month or two before the manufacturers warranty is about to expire.

You're investing $300 betting that your TV will have a problem. And maybe it will. Stuff happens. It's a 50/50 shot. But usually, "the house" wins.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Hi! My name is Desiree and I am the Customer Relations Supervisor for Mack Camera. Please let me know if I can answer any questions about our worldwide extended warranties. I can be reached via email at helpdesk@mackcam.com.
Thank you,
Desiree
post #8 of 9 Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:

If you have a costco membership, you can get a squaretrade 3 year additional warranty (3 years after the manufactures) for $100 as long as you buy it within 60 days. I am actually debating it, but have not made a decision yet. The reviews of square trade seem pretty favorable.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM

You can get a 3 year warranty from Square Trade for about $159. Go on to Slickdeals and you can usually find a 30% off code.

My four year warranty through them was right around $180.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page