New Model? Sharp LC-70C6400U - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 05-10-2012, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you think your 632u will apply to the 70c6400u. I know the 6400 is edge lit vs back lit

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 AM

Rad, what is your review. Do you havecanycaettings that worked for the 6400 ?

Thanks
post #33 of 37 Old 05-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcsi View Post

I too see the LC70C6400U model at my Costco.

Any owner out there ? Does this TV allow accessing any web site with its browser or are you limited to their apps ? On page 61 of the manual it seems to indicate that you can access any URL ? ("Using the Internet") Is that true ?

Only the apps. There is a dedicated "big red button" to take you directly to Netflix as well as some other apps, (Youtube, Vuudu, CinemaNow).
It definitely has CMS - would love to find some expert settings to start from.
Another member asked about action blur- the only time I noticed this was when I was watching Hockey in HD. When the puck is passed long distances it blurs and disappears for a very short time. This TV is rated to 240Hz AquoMotion240 and has 2 other settings 120Hz High and 120Hz low. The 240 setting did not help much (if any) for the puck problem.

On another note if you use an Amex card at Cost** when you register the TV (online doesn't work you have to call in), they give you another 1 year extended warranty plus 3 months (from Sharp) for registering it.
There is also the online support called Aquos Advantage Live and the user manual can be accessed directly from the TV (built-in).

SO far I love this TV (1week).
Enjoy
post #34 of 37 Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 PM

So I bought one at Sams a few weeks ago at the going rate and I tossed it upon the desk replacing my aging westy 42" and the 70" is exactly how big I wish the 42 would have been but 3 years ago displays were just starting their 2nd birth. I sit about 3.5' away from it for gaming and back about 9' away for movies. At 3 feet away there is plenty of issues but the only one worth mentioning is lack of extreme crispness (note: it is plenty crisp even crunchy at normal viewing distance). This is due to the design of the pixel layout but first lets talk color and display settings and get one small detail out of the way before we cover other details , mouse lag is significant when not in gaming mode so game mode always. I don't have much experience with 240hz motion stuff so skip asking me questions about that. Also note the true 240 Hz monitor was at Sams last weekend for an extra 500 or so. This one is a "fabricated" 240, no, I don't know the details and don't care. I want game performance not interstitial screens to fix motion blur. Now onto color.

I didn't like the default color, generally it seems the default is too low mine it is now at +13 and contrast is at +33 then sharpness is at +5, where is teh intelligence slider? All other settings are default, I am certain it can get a bit better but it is a vast improvement over the old 42 and I need a calibration disk. Also need factory access to make a big difference I suspect. Color temp is set to mid-low, for me that seems like the whitest it would show whites. Black is very very good, you can not see any light in the black areas. In general the picture is stunning, friends go "WOW", your kidding, etc. Thor was on yesterday and I watched it twice in a row due to the impressive images. It is really a treat. The advancement in LCD is fantastic and it is clearly evident in newer TVs.

Speaking of picture, for reference my brother got the 40" Phillips from wall-mart for Xmas and it has a much better picture than LCDs from a few years back but this is even better. So mostly you can take comfort in almost any LCD purchase is a vast improvement over the previous generation of a couple years ago. With that said, the picture of the worst LCD from 3 years ago was different and better than any tube. To try to put a number on it if you could say a tv produced an 80% accurate picture and an old LCD produced a 85% accurate picture, this one produces a 90% accurate picture. I believe we will change technology before LCD hits 100% accurate. Although the colors of an LCD are so sharp and accurate compared to TV you need to allow your mind to adjust to it, this comment is for older folks! smile.gif Tubes seem soft and weak in comparison to LCDs sharp and bright colors. There are drawbacks but they don't outweigh the benefits. The main drawback is it is they are so different everything looks unreal in a good way. Large displays of this size blow up this disproportion and make things look cartoony and we are not accustom to the fantastic details. The picture has grown on me and is less cartoony to me than before. I will replace it but I won't be looking forward to that for a long time. Also I am not sure if I will ever see the imgaes on this as "real".

Some other details before I get out of here... The pixels of the display are not a normal rectangular grid pattern they are in larger cluster patterns that make thin straight horizontal lines have stair steps up and down in them. Note this is a 2 pixel high line, you do have to actually look at them to closely to see them but for the most part you quickly dismiss this stuff if you are more interested in quantity over quality. Vertical lines do not have this "flaw". Diagonal lines as you could imagine have the unfortunate additional stepping that make them look like they are poorly anti-aliased. This might be an issue for people who want really sharp images while sitting 3' away but they would really need to double the resolution for this type of usage. At real viewing distance (6' and further) all this pixel stuff is immaterial. The picture is beyond acceptable. You can see minor screen door from close up as well. Grid blocks on white screens are square so only individual colors are moved around. i.e. a white horizontal line has no stairs.

Let me stop here and say I am always in the market but wanted badly to replace the westy 42 and I also got to the point that I didn't want to spend the money on both a monitor and a projector. When really decent 1080p or better projectors for under 1000 exist on the market maybe I will re-consider. I was also considering the 80" tv but it seems like I would have to re-engineer my desk and it was still quite a bit more. The desire to replace the old monitor was too strong. Other purchasing decisions; the manufactures are not focused on low latency game playing as much as I wish they would be, the 120Hz and 240Hz and up and up for "motion" is where they all went for now so it maybe another 3 years before we see ~2ms image latency for gaming. There were not any other 70" screens available at that cost. I don't care about 3d. Holograms will replace all this stuff so get this junk while you can. A big 2k TV and 2k projector were more expensive than a very big TV. Note: I have a dim LCD projector that I love and still use, I want my monitor performance in 110" screen but settled for now.

Lastly gaming, it is completely surreal. I noticed fairly quickly that the "action" area, right under the cursor or right in front of a car while driving, is much larger and improved performance in subtle ways. Notably you can see better what your goal is but curiously improves the game play or gives out a gamey smell to your eyes if you will.

Seriously it is a difficult investment there is nothing on the market that does 110" and 20k hours for $2k so we have to make compromises. I wonder if the 240Hz has less image latency? Just enjoy it, get the largest image your money can afford but never use it for regular tv viewing smile.gif
(Note: The don't watch TV is a Joke since obviously watching TV rots your brains)

nolagplz
post #35 of 37 Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 PM

Can anyone provide calibration settings? My friend just got this TV last week.
post #36 of 37 Old 10-19-2012, 06:49 PM

Finally, someone convinced me to get this, until your last sentence. Damn, I just wanna watch TV. I have a 55 inch Sony and I am happy, but moving, so want to get something new. I have a Sams credit card and am purchasing there. Once you go big, you won't go back, right? Will I be as happy with a 60 inch? Getting older, and may have to retire. I want all the best creature comforts while I can afford to buy them. If not this, any suggestions? Samsung has a 60 inch but this has 4 hdmi and a couple usb to deal with the future I think. A little help? Time is short. (Not lifetime, just purchase window. LOL)
post #37 of 37 Old 04-06-2013, 12:12 PM

$999.00 open box at ReMart in Tustin CA next to Fry's.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc70le733u 70 Class Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page