I need some help picking out a LED LCD for my mother - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-25-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So my mom is looking getting a new tv. Looking for around 50" w/local lighting (not edge lit) I have had good luck with samsung in the past and was hoping on getting her one if it works out. What models have these specs? It doesnt have to be a super nice tv.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-25-2012, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

This one claims to be Dynamic Edge LED with Local Dimming, so I'm not sure how to make heads or tails of this, but it should be good:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

AVS Forum...The Final Frontier. My continuing mission. To explore strange, new equipment, to seek out new movies and technology. Boldly going where no enthusiast had gone before.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post

This one claims to be Dynamic Edge LED with Local Dimming, so I'm not sure how to make heads or tails of this, but it should be good:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

That Sony 55HX929 you linked is not edge-lit, it's the better one with a full array backlight + local dimming. It's exactly what the OP was asking for, but i suspect it's a higher end model ($$$) than what the OP was looking for.

From the Sony 55HX929 posted specs:
Quote:

Sony 55HX929: Intelligent Peak LED backlighting with full-array local dimming for Sony's most precise contrast

On a side note to the OP: i don't think Samsung produces full array + local dimming any longer, pretty sure it's all edge-lit with Samsung now.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

So my mom is looking getting a new tv. Looking for around 50" w/local lighting (not edge lit) I have had good luck with samsung in the past and was hoping on getting her one if it works out. What models have these specs? It doesnt have to be a super nice tv.

I love my mom and I'm sure you love yours, but I've never met a mom that would notice the difference with full array. I think Sony did some really nice things with the local dimming on the edge lit NX720 so something like that might end up being a better value.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

I guess that local dimming would not be necessary, maybe she doesn't even need a LED one.
Are there any LCD's in the $1k range that are from a reputable brand like Samsung?

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I guess that local dimming would not be necessary, maybe she doesn't even need a LED one.
Are there any LCD's in the $1k range that are from a reputable brand like Samsung?

You can get a Sony NX720 in the $1k range if 46 inches isn't too small (you mentioned 50 in your original post). Edge lit but I think the local dimming is very effective (you should be able to get one with little to no clouding or flashlighting) and the monolithic design is really nice IMO. Also comes in a 55 if you are willing to stretch your budget a bit.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page