Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE844U Owners thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #3601 of 3673 Old 02-19-2014, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Icemonkey has a 2 pack of the Sony PS3 3D glasses on sale for $30 today.

Get them before they sell out.

http://www.dailysteals.com/icemonkey/#d/19644
shpitz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3673 Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Couldn't resist @ this price, thanks rj!

post #3603 of 3673 Old 02-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjruby View Post

Icemonkey has a 2 pack of the Sony PS3 3D glasses on sale for $30 today.

Get them before they sell out.

http://www.dailysteals.com/icemonkey/#d/19644

Too late....Sold out!!

post #3604 of 3673 Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone uses skype on tv.

i see that freetalk camera is recommended. does any other usb camera work with it?
post #3605 of 3673 Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

I've never tried it since no way in hell I'm paying $120+ for a camera smile.gif

And I don't think there are any alternatives, you have to get the specific camera they sell.

post #3606 of 3673 Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebrock View Post

Had my year old 844U calibrated today by Chad B. He worked on the set for almost 5 hours. Left me with ISF Day and ISF Night settings and calibrated the 3D under Movie Mode.There were two significant changes:

1. Flesh tones are very accurate with more detail. Chad explained that with the installed settings/inaccuracies the faces appear to be "coated" with makeup. Now when watching CNN's Wolf Blitzer the sun damage/blotchiness of his face is apparent... not pretty but accurate.

2. My biggest issue with the set was excessive video "noise" apparent in dark backgrounds. On some channels this was visible from normal viewing position. He assured me that it was the compression of the Direct TV signal. The settings of the 844U were amplifying the problem. The "noise" is still there but greatly reduced with improved black levels.

The set is now calibrated to the 6500k standard (initially in Standard Mode with some tweaks). Chad said I was initially at 11000k. Yes so my whites aren't as "bright" as they were but still white. I'm sure If I had asked him to tweak the whites he would have done so.

Maybe Chad can comment on the calibration...?

Rick
post #3607 of 3673 Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluna503 View Post

can you post your calibrations
post #3608 of 3673 Old 03-03-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I know what I meant. To the average user they will "see" no gain in picture quality. Quad pixel neither helps, nor takes away from picture quality. That what is shown in all the testing Chad B has done.
My 80 le844u has 240 aquos motion and 480 aquos which my understanding was almost as good as the lowest picture quality of the new 4k tvs
post #3609 of 3673 Old 03-15-2014, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophlin View Post

Upon further investigation I figured out the glasses work if I am 1 foot from the emitter.  I also noticed that the emitter puts out a very weak signal compared to my other remote controls looking through my camera phone.

Remotes:

TV Emitter:

What do you guys think?

Well the repairman came by to fix this about a month ago.  He first replaced the IR emitter which didn't fix the problem.  Next he replaced the main board and here is the result:

Needless to say it is finally fixed!

post #3610 of 3673 Old 03-27-2014, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

I've had my TV for almost a year.

I have seen the "power cycling" problem on about 6 occasions over the past year, the most recent being yesterday.

I've search through this thread and haven't seen where this problem was acknowledged by Sharp or any potential solutions by users.

Is any one else still having this problem? I can live with it if only occurs every 2 months or so.

Thanks.

Bob
post #3611 of 3673 Old 03-27-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I've had my TV for almost a year.

I have seen the "power cycling" problem on about 6 occasions over the past year, the most recent being yesterday.

I've search through this thread and haven't seen where this problem was acknowledged by Sharp or any potential solutions by users.

Is any one else still having this problem? I can live with it if only occurs every 2 months or so.

Thanks.

Bob

Same here, mines a few months newer but i seem to be experiencing about the same frequency, in fact mine did it yesterday too....eek.gif
post #3612 of 3673 Old 03-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

I've had my TV for almost a year now, never had issues with it. What exactly happens to you guys with the power issue? the TV just randomly reboots itself?

I never use any of the 'smart' features, all fed through HDMI1 from my Onkyo 1010.

Mine was the display model at a local HHGregg, I'm sure it has tons of hours on it. I would say we run it about 3-4 hours a day, it's down in the basement, it's not the main TV.

post #3613 of 3673 Old 03-28-2014, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

I've had my TV for almost a year now, never had issues with it. What exactly happens to you guys with the power issue? the TV just randomly reboots itself?

I never use any of the 'smart' features, all fed through HDMI1 from my Onkyo 1010.

Mine was the display model at a local HHGregg, I'm sure it has tons of hours on it. I would say we run it about 3-4 hours a day, it's down in the basement, it's not the main TV.

The center icon on the bottom of the TV goes out and the screen and sound goes completely out.

Then the center icon on the bottom of the TV immediately comes on and the HDMI input pops up in the corner like when I normally turn it on and everything returns to normal.

It's easy to miss if your attention is not totally focused on the TV.
post #3614 of 3673 Old 03-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

I see. Never had this happen, I guess I got lucky smile.gif

Love the TV, one of my best purchases, so I'm not complaining. Only thing that bothers me is the inability to disable processing in most modes, all that 120/240/480/960Hz junk...

post #3615 of 3673 Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The center icon on the bottom of the TV goes out and the screen and sound goes completely out.

Then the center icon on the bottom of the TV immediately comes on and the HDMI input pops up in the corner like when I normally turn it on and everything returns to normal.

It's easy to miss if your attention is not totally focused on the TV.

When mine does this (about once every couple months) I have to hold the power switch on the TV until it shuts off. The remote is frozen until it reboots. My set will be a year old next month and except for this issue it's been terrific. Picture quality is awesome with Blue rays and also with Netflix and Amazon 1080P streaming. Wouldn't trade it for anything on the market except for an 84" 4K.
post #3616 of 3673 Old 04-01-2014, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I did a calibration on my TV over the weekend, looks great. I bought it from Best Buy and I had a free calibration coming but I put it off so long that it went away.
We were watching Capt Phillips on friday and it looked funky - like the soap opera effect - so I quick went into the menu and started messing around, it got better but I didn't know what I was doing.

I found one of the settings posted in this thread and used that as a base line and then downloaded a HD calibration disk and went through that - pretty cool, I didn't know such things were out there.

If you Google "LifeHacker TV calibration" you will find the article and links to the disk. Just sharing - I thought it was pretty slick
post #3617 of 3673 Old 04-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Liked: 11
The new Sharp 80" Q+ (which I can't find any where without ordering it) is talked about everywhere.
But I'm finding that the LC-80LE857U (which you can see in the stores) model is going back UP IN PRICE. eek.gif

Seriously it seems all you can find is the 70" Q+ in the stores but nothing for the 80" Q+.
Now unless I just missing the boat somewhere, YES you can order it, BUT when will it be in the stores to see?
And yes the LC-80LE857U at one time in Feb/March was selling for $3500-$3850.

Now Best Buy has it back UP at $5450.
WHAT IS GOING ON??? mad.gifmad.gif
post #3618 of 3673 Old 04-02-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by theEXTREMEone View Post

The new Sharp 80" Q+ (which I can't find any where without ordering it) is talked about everywhere.
But I'm finding that the LC-80LE857U (which you can see in the stores) model is going back UP IN PRICE. eek.gif

Seriously it seems all you can find is the 70" Q+ in the stores but nothing for the 80" Q+.
Now unless I just missing the boat somewhere, YES you can order it, BUT when will it be in the stores to see?
And yes the LC-80LE857U at one time in Feb/March was selling for $3500-$3850.

Now Best Buy has it back UP at $5450.
WHAT IS GOING ON??? mad.gifmad.gif
lull in production , their in between runs & supplies run short then prices rise when there are none in the district warehouses .
Sharp also start ramping up the new tooling for 2015 line about now .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #3619 of 3673 Old 04-02-2014, 04:25 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the information. I will be buying my set on Memorial Weekend, sure hope I won't be disappointed.
I have been waiting for 3 years to get the exact set I wanted.
But I'm starting to worry.............
post #3620 of 3673 Old 04-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

i only experience something like this when I watch stand-up on Comedy Central. I have cable from Mediacom. It's in dark patches on the wall behind the comedian, but only in certain zoom factors. It is purely from compression, and the TV magnifies it.

The channel is in 1080i so the compression on it is higher than on a 720p channel, so i expect it to be exagurated more.

Did you try to play with your settings and see if you can make it go away (or at least reduce it some)?

I've never seen this happen in any other channel or source.

Are you going through an AVR? which device does the processing/deinterlacing/upscaling?

Is your TV in a bright room and therefore your backlight is set high? mine is in the basement, I will need to check my settings later on.

post #3621 of 3673 Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM

I had/have the same issue with dark scenes on my 844U, it used to be in all 4 corners now its predominately in the upper left corner and some in the bottom left corner. reducing the back light to -10 to -13 seems to help which in a dark room is fine, during the daytime its mostly kids shows and sitcoms so we turn the brightness back up. here are some photos of what I've been dealing with, not sure if its the same as you. As an aside i do not have the white flicker issue

post #3622 of 3673 Old 04-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

this is with no input?

post #3623 of 3673 Old 04-28-2014, 04:54 PM

Correct, no inputs. When watching a dark movie like Batman the dark knight rises, or gravity I have to lower the back light to -13 or its too distracting but doing that I loose a lot of detail. You think its a calibration issue or a panel issue? DirecTV is worse than Blue-ray, when I had my plasma in the same spot there were no issue, so I feel comfortable saying its not the source.
post #3624 of 3673 Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Unfortunately my 844U has suddenly developed a straight blue line near the middle of the TV. I have tried different sources, including the on Air (to exclude any HDMI wire issues) but the line remains.

I have contacted sharp and and have sent them the photos which they are reviewing. I am attaching a couple here.

Its just sad month for me. My Pioneer died and now this. Loved the TV until this happened all of a sudden. Not sure what triggered it, because it was fine the evening before.

If anyone has seen this or have any suggestions please do share. I have done a service menu reset with the TECH on phone, but that did not change anything. The TV is still under 1 yr warranty though, so I am waiting to hear from them to see what they do.
post #3625 of 3673 Old 04-29-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

I hope this is not a bad sign for things to come, i.e. Sharp goes bankrupt...

post #3626 of 3673 Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

good luck with sharp, i just spent 45 minutes on the phone to tell me I am not permitted to speak with a technician and that the pictures sent are withing mfg specifications for garbage color processing. and that a technician will have to be sent to the home at this point. I have dealt with mitsubishi, and also samsung, and denon in the past. Sharp is well on its way to earn an F for customer service in my experience.

Why on earth can a consumer not speak to a tech / or engineer while looking at the pictures together. The supervisor I was transfered too cannot even see the pictures from the 4 emails i took the time to send out. That was a fun 15 days waiting period and a waste of time thus far.

Aquos Advantage is pretty poorly implemented from what I have heard to this point.

Time will tell.

I totally understand your frustration and disappointment, as I am going through something similar at this point with them. However, it would be hard for them or the tech who would come to say to me that a big blue line in the middle is well within their manufacturers specifications.

Good luck with your case as well. I will continue to post as things move along in my case. Its just sad that this happened, I seriously loved the TV. It had great picture quality.
post #3627 of 3673 Old 05-02-2014, 02:15 PM

Ok, I got a call today too. They cannot repair the unit. So I have two choices:
1) They will exchange for a refurbished Unit for free.
2) Or they can give a new Unit (recent model) for a slight up charge (undefined at this point)

They are going to call me back early next week to give me the full details of the second option. But either way I am screwed. Not sure if I will ever buy a Sharp product ever. The extended warranty folks are not of any help either, they flatly refused to entertain because the TV is still under 1 yr old so falls under Sharp's warranty. Oh I feel so bad. It was a great TV while it lasted.
post #3628 of 3673 Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

If you got a long warranty maybe the refurb route is not a bad idea. I don't think the newer models with their edge-lit arrays are up to par with the 844. Mine is a display unit from HHGregg, still works great after a year. I got the extended warranty from Sharp directly though.

post #3629 of 3673 Old 05-03-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

If you got a long warranty maybe the refurb route is not a bad idea. I don't think the newer models with their edge-lit arrays are up to par with the 844. Mine is a display unit from HHGregg, still works great after a year. I got the extended warranty from Sharp directly though.

Thanks shpitz, I haven't decided anything yet and am in a wait mode right now, until they get back to me with the details of the replacement. While I agree with you about edgelit vs full array (and that was the reason I purchased this TV), I think getting a refurb unit is anybody's guess. The board is full of cases where folks returned their sets due to variety of reasons including dead pixels, banding, etc. Lately they Sharp has been saying that this is well within their "Manufacturer Specifications, etc". Even though unsold units are also called refurbished (best case refurbished item) however at this point, I do not believe any retailer would have any unsold items that Sharp will have in their warehouse, so they are using that option only for argument sake. They do not have any in their warehouse anyway, so they will put my name on first TV that becomes available. Now that is not a very comforting feeling. I have 100% chance of getting a unit that was returned. However, whether that has been fixed (parts replaced, etc) by Sharp or just repackaged is something I cannot tell. Plus it will only come with 90 days warranty. So besides speculating, there is not much I can do at this point. Let me see what the offer in terms of new sets and I will take my chances based on that. The new set will come with 1 yr warranty she said.

My extended warranty is also from Sharp. But they refused to entertain until the full year is up. Also I am not sure how they will handle the replacement. Would it be just a matter of replacing the old serial number with the new serial number or would I have to deal with some other nonsense. And finally, if I do end up getting the new model, I believe my extended warranty would go to trash and I would have to buy another one. I will be calling the extended warranty department on Monday to ask all these questions. This whole thing sucks real bad. I would really appreciate if anyone who has dealt with this before could offer any suggestions.
post #3630 of 3673 Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 PM

Unfortunately no go for me. My request for a new TV, even with extra payment (pro rated they call it) was denied. So my only option is to go for a refurbished unit replacement. They don't have an 844 unit in warehouse, so they will contact me once they get one.

But wait it gets worse, I finally called Sharp Extended warranty folks to see how they will handle this. The Sharp extended warranty will *not* cover the replaced refurbished unit. What a shocker. They said they only cover new TVs and if Sharp had replaced my unit with a brand new Unit (and/or repaired my existing unit) then they would have just updated the serial number but since Sharp is giving me a Refurb unit, they will not honor that. So they have asked me to cancel my warranty by faxing them in writing. I would supposedly get a full refund as I am still within 1 yr and have not used any extended warranty. I will then have to purchase extended warranty for the Refurb unit and that warranty is twice the money. What a nightmare this has been for me.

Needless to say, this is my first and last Sharp product. The way the company treated me leaves me a lot to be desired mad.gif. But this was quite a successful TV and highly recommended on this board, so I am sure a lot of folks must be happy with it. I have 55" Sony LCD that I bought in 2009, and it still works great. Never bought any warranty on it either. I think I should stop getting seduced by low prices of cheap brands like Sharp/Visio and stick with Sony/Samsung. The prices are low for a reason and now I know the reason.

I will report back when my refurb unit arrives. I am supposed to thoroughly check it before accepting it because I can refuse it if I see any banding, dead pixel or clouds but if I accept it, then I might have to live with the "within Manufacturers specifications".

Does anyone know how to get into Service menu and see how long the TV has been running? I know there was a post to find the ACUtime and the Backlight time but I am not able to find it. Also if there is a list of quick checks I can do when the TV comes in to see any if any of the these issues show up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv , Sharp Aquos Lc 80le844u 80 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page