Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE844U Owners thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3631 of 3649 Old 04-30-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i got a call from sharp this am, service scheduled for monday around 10am. It could have been earlier BUT, my schedule wouldn't accommodate. I have no idea why they would waste a consumers time and theirs if they really cannot see anything from pictures anyways. I mean you are not going to see a strobing bar on the top from a pictures, ( ie its a video issue). They didnt ask for video, only pictures. within specifications is a broad term. are they referring to flaws, defects, acceptable quality issues, etc. Again you cannot speak to a technician, so i gather its just a crap shoot with sharp at this point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3649 Old 05-02-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I got a call today too. They cannot repair the unit. So I have two choices:
1) They will exchange for a refurbished Unit for free.
2) Or they can give a new Unit (recent model) for a slight up charge (undefined at this point)

They are going to call me back early next week to give me the full details of the second option. But either way I am screwed. Not sure if I will ever buy a Sharp product ever. The extended warranty folks are not of any help either, they flatly refused to entertain because the TV is still under 1 yr old so falls under Sharp's warranty. Oh I feel so bad. It was a great TV while it lasted.
post #3633 of 3649 Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
If you got a long warranty maybe the refurb route is not a bad idea. I don't think the newer models with their edge-lit arrays are up to par with the 844. Mine is a display unit from HHGregg, still works great after a year. I got the extended warranty from Sharp directly though.

post #3634 of 3649 Old 05-03-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

If you got a long warranty maybe the refurb route is not a bad idea. I don't think the newer models with their edge-lit arrays are up to par with the 844. Mine is a display unit from HHGregg, still works great after a year. I got the extended warranty from Sharp directly though.

Thanks shpitz, I haven't decided anything yet and am in a wait mode right now, until they get back to me with the details of the replacement. While I agree with you about edgelit vs full array (and that was the reason I purchased this TV), I think getting a refurb unit is anybody's guess. The board is full of cases where folks returned their sets due to variety of reasons including dead pixels, banding, etc. Lately they Sharp has been saying that this is well within their "Manufacturer Specifications, etc". Even though unsold units are also called refurbished (best case refurbished item) however at this point, I do not believe any retailer would have any unsold items that Sharp will have in their warehouse, so they are using that option only for argument sake. They do not have any in their warehouse anyway, so they will put my name on first TV that becomes available. Now that is not a very comforting feeling. I have 100% chance of getting a unit that was returned. However, whether that has been fixed (parts replaced, etc) by Sharp or just repackaged is something I cannot tell. Plus it will only come with 90 days warranty. So besides speculating, there is not much I can do at this point. Let me see what the offer in terms of new sets and I will take my chances based on that. The new set will come with 1 yr warranty she said.

My extended warranty is also from Sharp. But they refused to entertain until the full year is up. Also I am not sure how they will handle the replacement. Would it be just a matter of replacing the old serial number with the new serial number or would I have to deal with some other nonsense. And finally, if I do end up getting the new model, I believe my extended warranty would go to trash and I would have to buy another one. I will be calling the extended warranty department on Monday to ask all these questions. This whole thing sucks real bad. I would really appreciate if anyone who has dealt with this before could offer any suggestions.
post #3635 of 3649 Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 PM

Unfortunately no go for me. My request for a new TV, even with extra payment (pro rated they call it) was denied. So my only option is to go for a refurbished unit replacement. They don't have an 844 unit in warehouse, so they will contact me once they get one.

But wait it gets worse, I finally called Sharp Extended warranty folks to see how they will handle this. The Sharp extended warranty will *not* cover the replaced refurbished unit. What a shocker. They said they only cover new TVs and if Sharp had replaced my unit with a brand new Unit (and/or repaired my existing unit) then they would have just updated the serial number but since Sharp is giving me a Refurb unit, they will not honor that. So they have asked me to cancel my warranty by faxing them in writing. I would supposedly get a full refund as I am still within 1 yr and have not used any extended warranty. I will then have to purchase extended warranty for the Refurb unit and that warranty is twice the money. What a nightmare this has been for me.

Needless to say, this is my first and last Sharp product. The way the company treated me leaves me a lot to be desired mad.gif. But this was quite a successful TV and highly recommended on this board, so I am sure a lot of folks must be happy with it. I have 55" Sony LCD that I bought in 2009, and it still works great. Never bought any warranty on it either. I think I should stop getting seduced by low prices of cheap brands like Sharp/Visio and stick with Sony/Samsung. The prices are low for a reason and now I know the reason.

I will report back when my refurb unit arrives. I am supposed to thoroughly check it before accepting it because I can refuse it if I see any banding, dead pixel or clouds but if I accept it, then I might have to live with the "within Manufacturers specifications".

Does anyone know how to get into Service menu and see how long the TV has been running? I know there was a post to find the ACUtime and the Backlight time but I am not able to find it. Also if there is a list of quick checks I can do when the TV comes in to see any if any of the these issues show up?
post #3636 of 3649 Old 05-05-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
That's alarming, and if turned out to be the case for me as well, it will be the last time I touch Sharp...

I still have a 42" Vizio LCD bought in 2007, that had its board replaced after 2 months, been solid ever since. Survived moving between 3 states, and on average a move every 1.5 years, so it's been a workhorse. Maybe I got lucky...

Keep us posted, I think the refurb will be fine. Also, you could try and sell if on Craigslist once you get it and move to something else.

post #3637 of 3649 Old 05-18-2014, 02:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSATX View Post

Before - 60" Sharp Aquos LC60E77UN

After - 80" Sharp Aquos LC-80LE844U

I am using the following HDMI cable for 3D Bluray watching
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260802745131

The wall mount I used was a Sanus VuePoint F808 Low Profile Wall Mount.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4864649&CatId=717

For 3D glasses I currently own 4 pairs of Sharp's an3dg20b model
http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-AN3DG20B-3D-Glasses-Black-Single/dp/B005JABSB6

I also purchased and use 2 pairs of Monstervision Max 3D glasses
http://www.amazon.com/MonsterVision-Eyewear-System-Active-Sync/dp/B004443WRG

The Monstervision glasses system uses RF and not IR technology. It came with an adapter for converting the IR signal to RF. The adapter however, did need its firmware upgraded in order to work with the Sharp LC-80LE844U TV. I actually prefer the picture from these glasses over the Sharp name brand glasses.

I've been enjoying this TV everyday ever since it was delivered 2 weeks ago. The picture defintely needed calibrating, but that was done quickly. Highly recommend this unit to anyone who wants a large screen for less $$ than the competition.
Please tell me how you got your update or where could I get it for the Monstervision glasses. I own a Sharp tv as well but the monster vision system doesn't quite understand the code. I would so love you if you could help me.
rluna503 likes this.
post #3638 of 3649 Old 05-19-2014, 03:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grersonpagan View Post

Please tell me how you got your update or where could I get it for the Monstervision glasses. I own a Sharp tv as well but the monster vision system doesn't quite understand the code. I would so love you if you could help me.

I got these Xpand glasses from Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xpand-youniversal-rechargeable-active-shutter-3d-glasses-bluetooth-and-ir-blue/6923386.p?id=1218814079212&skuId=6923386&st=xpand&cp=1&lp=2

They work great with my 844U and since they are large they fit perfectly over my prescription glasses.
post #3639 of 3649 Old 05-27-2014, 03:16 PM

Iv read 20 pages, my Sharp Aquos 70 shuts off during films 3 to 5 times a week or pretty much every other film.

Was their any conclusion?  Its to confusing at the end of a long day to then battle my TV that resets.

I have to every night unplug it and plug it back in (thats when it does not shut off) It will freeze solid.

Did people find a solution?

I cant say Ill ever get another Sharp anything ever, especially the squaretrade.,com extended warranty.

Hating this TV!

post #3640 of 3649 Old 05-30-2014, 10:32 PM

Does anyone know what could or should I be concerned about this. It looks like a scratch from inside the tv
post #3641 of 3649 Old 05-31-2014, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluna503 View Post

Does anyone know what could or should I be concerned about this. It looks like a scratch from inside the tv

It almost looks like a crack.

Has it always been this way since you had the TV?
post #3642 of 3649 Old 05-31-2014, 10:05 AM

I did not notice it till wife pointed it out to me. I have inspected tv plenty of times. I also notice some pixels out I have only had this tv for 4 mounth. There is no sign of it being scratched on front of tv
post #3643 of 3649 Old 06-02-2014, 12:54 AM

Anyone have an idea how to operate 2 of the same Sharp TV;s in one room with a harmony link remote?

The problem I have is the remote controls both TV's at the same time. I have two of the same brand Sharp TV's in the same room.

Thanks
post #3644 of 3649 Old 06-04-2014, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If it is under warranty, have them fix it. If they can't fix it, have them replace it.
My set re-boots on its own periodically, interrupting movies or TV broadcast in the process.
It first happened under warranty and Sharp tried to repair it with 4 service calls.
Then they sent a refurbished set that would not power on at all (!).
Now they are promising a brand new set over 2 years after the problem first appeared.
I haven't been given a date of delivery as yet. Holding my breath that it will not be a lemon...
post #3645 of 3649 Old 06-19-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkdiggler2 View Post
Anyone have an idea how to operate 2 of the same Sharp TV;s in one room with a harmony link remote?

The problem I have is the remote controls both TV's at the same time. I have two of the same brand Sharp TV's in the same room.

Thanks
Can they be operated by bluetooth? Such would likely require pairing, thus locking the "paired devices" so that the remote doesn't perform any action on the other device. Would likely require reconnecting to that particular TV each time you want to switch sets though.
post #3646 of 3649 Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 AM

My Sharp Saga continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

Keep us posted, I think the refurb will be fine. Also, you could try and sell if on Craigslist once you get it and move to something else.
Even though I had reluctantly agreed to swap with a Refurb, unfortunately my refurb experience did not go well . It took them a long time to find one and then schedule it for delivery. It finally came in on Friday. Two guys showed up and brought the humungous TV inside. They opened the box to check the TV with power first before installing it. There was big crack, right in the middle of the screen. The screen was literally broken into two halfs They obviously repacked it and took it back. They were apologetic all along and mentioned that as a common issue with large TV (refurb units) because the refurb units are not packaged well. Once again that was their experience, not a general statement.

Well anyway, Sharp customer service has now agreed to swap my old 844u with the new Sharp 80uq17u. I have no idea how that TV is and I see there is a 104 page thread on the 2014 series. Well, it will take me some time go through it. Its edge lit though because Sharp does not make Full Array any more. So I am welcoming myself into the Flashlighting club with the extra bonus of clouds all over. Plus it has some sort of marketting BS called Q+ which CNet is panning in their review.

So long 844 thread. It was a great TV with absolutely stunning picture while it lasted.

RIP.
post #3647 of 3649 Old 06-21-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbonbon View Post
Even though I had reluctantly agreed to swap with a Refurb, unfortunately my refurb experience did not go well . It took them a long time to find one and then schedule it for delivery. It finally came in on Friday. Two guys showed up and brought the humungous TV inside. They opened the box to check the TV with power first before installing it. There was big crack, right in the middle of the screen. The screen was literally broken into two halfs They obviously repacked it and took it back. They were apologetic all along and mentioned that as a common issue with large TV (refurb units) because the refurb units are not packaged well. Once again that was their experience, not a general statement.

Well anyway, Sharp customer service has now agreed to swap my old 844u with the new Sharp 80uq17u. I have no idea how that TV is and I see there is a 104 page thread on the 2014 series. Well, it will take me some time go through it. Its edge lit though because Sharp does not make Full Array any more. So I am welcoming myself into the Flashlighting club with the extra bonus of clouds all over. Plus it has some sort of marketting BS called Q+ which CNet is panning in their review.

So long 844 thread. It was a great TV with absolutely stunning picture while it lasted.

RIP.
what do you think of the new 80 inch
post #3648 of 3649 Old 06-21-2014, 04:30 PM

does any anyone have professional calibrations for this tv. 80le844u
post #3649 of 3649 Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

TrueDepth 3D Glasses

http://truedepth3d.com/product/true-...-tvs-closeout/

At $14.99 a pair, I ordered a pair of these glasses to try out.

Anyone use these glasses with the 844U?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv , Sharp Aquos Lc 80le844u 80 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page