Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred1942 View Post

One more question. I have seen the Sharp 80 inch non 3d. How would you describe the picture quality of the 844 compared to the non 3d ( I think its the 632)? Better, worse, about the same?

Good question. I would like to know how the 3d performance is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 AM

Liked: 10
My biggest fear about buying the 844 is right after it gets delivered the 80" Sharp Elite gets announced :-/... Decisions...
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aupton View Post

My biggest fear about buying the 844 is right after it gets delivered the 80" Sharp Elite gets announced :-/... Decisions...

They won't announce prob until August and will be at least 5k more than the 844
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

There is supposed to be a Sharp '9' series coming out it late August. This would be a step up from the '8' series 844 but doesn't apprear to come in 80".
It is rumored to have full array with local dimming. So far only the Elite has this but this is not an Elite but more of a an Elite light. The '9' series would be Sharps flagship model.

Sharp AQUOS Quattron 9 Series 3D LED TVs

Sharp’s full HD 1080p 9 Series AQUOS Quattron 3D LED TVs in screen size classes of 60- and 70-inches (LC-60LE945U and LC-70LE945U) offer advanced LED technology with Sharp’s brightest Full HD Active 3D panel. They incorporate Quattron Quad Pixel Plus II and full array LED backlighting with local dimming to improve picture quality and deliver a superior viewing experience. The 240Hz panel improves picture quality further by virtually eliminating blur and artifacts from fast-moving video.

The 9 Series features Sharp’s new SmartCentral and built-in WiFi. With five HDMI® inputs, consumers will be able to connect a variety of devices – including computers, to Blu-ray Disc™ players, DVRs, camcorders, sound bar systems and video game consoles – directly to their TV.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

There is supposed to be a Sharp '9' series coming out it late August.
It is rumored to have full array with local dimming. This is not an Elite but more of a an Elite light. The '9' series would be Sharps flagship model.

Sharp AQUOS Quattron 9 Series 3D LED TVs

Sharp's full HD 1080p 9 Series AQUOS Quattron 3D LED TVs in screen size classes of 60- and 70-inches (LC-60LE945U and LC-70LE945U) offer advanced LED technology with Sharp's brightest Full HD Active 3D panel. They incorporate Quattron Quad Pixel Plus II and full array LED backlighting with local dimming to improve picture quality and deliver a superior viewing experience. The 240Hz panel improves picture quality further by virtually eliminating blur and artifacts from fast-moving video.

The 9 Series features Sharp's new SmartCentral and built-in WiFi. With five HDMI® inputs, consumers will be able to connect a variety of devices - including computers, to Blu-ray Disc players, DVRs, camcorders, sound bar systems and video game consoles - directly to their TV.

This series was also supposedly cancelled
Old 04-13-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

This series was also supposedly cancelled

Yeah C-Net says it was but others say it has not been cancelled. Depends on who you read. Value Electronics believes it is coming and wanted to use it in their HDTV 'shoot out'.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Do these sharp sets take PAL input like 25/50 Hz without issue via HDMI?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I don't believe PAL is supported in US models.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:

Thats where I'm at right now. Should I wait and save some more $$$ for the Elite, or will I be satisfied with the PQ on the 844. Think I will pay HHGregg another visit to see if they have the 844 on display yet. Would really like to take a close look at it and compare with the 80 inch non 3D they now have on display which I think has average PQ. I will be sitting 12 feet from the display and 80 inches will be more of a WOW factor than 70. But PQ is an important factor for me.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

at 10 feet or more I start to wonder if the differences in pq would be enough to justify the likely 5k difference between the 844 and the rumored 80 elite.........
Old 04-13-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:

at 10 feet or more I start to wonder if the differences in pq would be enough to justify the likely 5k difference between the 844 and the rumored 80 elite.........

Yeah , I thought along those lines as well , heck I've even thought about the difference between the 632 VS the 844 of being $1K L O L
BUT then the 632 Vs a 80" Elite ??? Wow if money was water here @ Casa LaSlappy , Id be all in!
then reality sets in .... ..........\\
all most 3 times the price ...
I could set 3 80" 632's up in surround mode & have a Gamer Nirvana for the price of one 80" Elite
... WoW ...
I got a woodie
............................................. Just thinking of 3 80"ers side by side

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Local dimming is impressive.... if you care (and it is well done like the Elite)
Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

as a previous elite owner I certainly agree about the local dimming. Still beyond 10 feet I still wonder how much more impressive it would be.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:19 PM

Re Questions on 3D and passing through the PAL signal

I got mine today. I also have the 70 inch Sharp 3D. I think the 3D is better on the 80 inch. It could just be positioning, but at any rate it is amazing. In all fairness, I've never seen home 3D on anything except a Sharp, but I definitely like it. On the PAL signal, the 70 inch definitely does play the PAL signal (I was actually annoyed because I had already purchased a converter). I haven't hooked the PAL dvd player to the 80 inch yet, but I will tonight or tomorrow and will post. Haven't adjusted the 80 inch yet, but the preset settings actually look good-- as opposed to the 70 inch, which looked awful until adjusted.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as a previous elite owner I certainly agree about the local dimming. Still beyond 10 feet I still wonder how much more impressive it would be.

You had an Elite and returned it! Wow. Looking at them is amazing but so expensive.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 303
If your sitting closer then 10' with the 844 your neck is going to hurt . Its like sitting in the first row at the theater.

Remote Control - Absolutely useless - It allows you to control some devices but remarkably it is not capable of learning , can not control my cable box or even my onkyo receiver. The list of things it does control I have never heard of. Don't plan on using this remote if you have other components unless you plan to have a bunch of remotes.
Web browser - Garbage without flash couldn't even use my email.
Apps - Garbage - nothing worth using (with the exception of YouTube) unless you want to pay
DLNA - works ok. Was able to stream some AVI's but was unable to stream some MP4's that do stream from my Xbox
3D - was pretty impressive The size of this set really makes it worth while. The 2D >3D doesn't work very well but I've seen it before and never really thought it would be much better.

PQ is the best I have seen in a long time on a set this big. I am using the standard mode (better flesh tones) .

I also picked up mu extended warranty today from sharp. In the end it was worth the wait and I am happy with the TV itself .
Old 04-13-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

You had an Elite and returned it! Wow. Looking at them is amazing but so expensive.

Long story but yes pq is incredible
Old 04-13-2012, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

If your sitting closer then 10' with the 844 your neck is going to hurt . Its like sitting in the first row at the theater.

Remote Control - Absolutely useless - It allows you to control some devices but remarkably it is not capable of learning , can not control my cable box or even my onkyo receiver. The list of things it does control I have never heard of. Don't plan on using this remote if you have other components unless you plan to have a bunch of remotes.
Web browser - Garbage without flash couldn't even use my email.
Apps - Garbage - nothing worth using (with the exception of YouTube) unless you want to pay
DLNA - works ok. Was able to stream some AVI's but was unable to stream some MP4's that do stream from my Xbox
3D - was pretty impressive The size of this set really makes it worth while. The 2D >3D doesn't work very well but I've seen it before and never really thought it would be much better.

PQ is the best I have seen in a long time on a set this big. I am using the standard mode (better flesh tones) .

I also picked up mu extended warranty today from sharp. In the end it was worth the wait and I am happy with the TV itself .

My remote is used for about a month after the purchase & then after that it's collecting dust on the fireplace mantel behind the display outta sight ....
............................................................ .................................

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Old 04-13-2012, 06:06 PM

I can confirm that it plays PAL DVDs. No converter required.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

for an 80" screen, the recommended THX seating distance is 8.9' to achieve 36 degree viewing angle and acuity perception of 1080p.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:

That is how far away my 80" is, and it is mounted above a fireplace, no neck issues here. I have to say I sometimes have hearing issues, but that has no relation with the TV

Also please note the gap between the ceiling and TV / TV and mantel, that gap will hopefully not be to small to put the 90" in

Old 04-14-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 View Post

for an 80" screen, the recommended THX seating distance is 8.9' to achieve 36 degree viewing angle and acuity perception of 1080p.

THX setting distance is 1.2:1 correct? That will assure you do not see sub pixels but are "in" the picture. Correct?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 View Post

I think, if you check, you will find that 10.5 feet is the is the correct distance for 20 - 20 visual acuity for an 80" screen (for high quality 1080P). 8.9 feet will lead to a softer picture although the pixels should not be visible at that distance. I have the 80-632U and I am still impressed with the display after 6 months of ownership. I sit a little under 11 feet from the screen.
BTW - can you imagine watching a 720x480 DVD at the THX recommended distance? It would be extremely blurry. Viewing angle and optimal visible detail seating distances are not directly related. Although I love the immersive feel of watching a large screen, I am not willing to sacrifice sharpnesss to attain it. Just my two bits.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

I think, if you check, you will find that 10.5 feet is the is the correct distance for 20 - 20 visual acuity for an 80" screen (for high quality 1080P). 8.9 feet will lead to a softer picture although the pixels should not be visible at that distance.

according to this site 10.5 feet is for 1080i. "Maximum Viewing Distance for HDTV(Fully resolved 1080i; 1920 x 1080)"
Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

That is how far away my 80" is, and it is mounted above a fireplace, no neck issues here. I have to say I sometimes have hearing issues, but that has no relation with the TV

Also please note the gap between the ceiling and TV / TV and mantel, that gap will hopefully not be to small to put the 90" in

i would have hearing loss issues as well with those giant SWANS.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
Old 04-15-2012, 12:43 AM

I got my 844 on Friday (4/13) and did the install this morning (4/14). After wall mounting the TV and testing out the functions, I noticed a blue line that went from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen. It is approximately 16" from the edge.

Called the Video Store and said that they never saw this before. One of the store employees said that it could be caused by the wall mount screws pressing on the back of the panel. I said, I didn't think that was the case. When I got home, I checked the line...16" from the edge. Wall mount brackets are 24" from the edge.

In any case, they are replacing the set...after 1 day. My replacement gets delivered in 2 weeks due to my work schedule.

So question to the forum members, have you seen this on a Sharp, let alone a 844?
LL
Old 04-15-2012, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry i cant help but could you possibly take a full picture of the set, i would like to see how it looks, theres not many pictures of it

Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808inthe510 View Post

I got my 844 on Friday (4/13) and did the install this morning (4/14). After wall mounting the TV and testing out the functions, I noticed a blue line that went from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen. It is approximately 16" from the edge.

Called the Video Store and said that they never saw this before. One of the store employees said that it could be caused by the wall mount screws pressing on the back of the panel. I said, I didn't think that was the case. When I got home, I checked the line...16" from the edge. Wall mount brackets are 24" from the edge.

In any case, they are replacing the set...after 1 day. My replacement gets delivered in 2 weeks due to my work schedule.

So question to the forum members, have you seen this on a Sharp, let alone a 844?

Not caused by the mount. Defect for sure
Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Excellent.....now buy me one so I can see the settings :-)

Suzook, where can I find your settings? I tried searching but can't seem to find it. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NallaAVS View Post

Suzook, where can I find your settings? I tried searching but can't seem to find it. Thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1398643

Second post down on first page :-)

Please post pics and impressions.

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv , Sharp Aquos Lc 80le844u 80 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv