post #571 of 3648 Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCgrp View Post

I started a program on Netflix and audio was coming from the Sharp along with the original feed through my Denon.

I get all of the apps on the Sharp via XBOX and the WD so i'm not overly concerned, just wondering why this is happening.

It's working the way it is suppose to.

Remember that the TV is the Source in the case of Netflix or other apps.

You need to run an Optical Cable from the Sharp to another input on your Denon . In the Sharp Menu you need to change the Audio options to Variable (which will shut off the internal speakers)

Whenever you Use the apps you will need to change the input on the denon to use the TV as an input source.

(You can also plug that optical cable into the same port used for your Fios . However the HDMI used would have to not be detected inorder for the optical port to be used and sometimes this is not possible)

On mY Onkyo I used my Tape input port for my apps audio (TV OUT) input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 3648 Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

You need to run an Optical Cable from the Sharp to another input on your Denon . In the Sharp Menu you need to change the Audio options to Variable (which will shut off the internal speakers)

Whenever you Use the apps you will need to change the input on the denon to use the TV as an input source.

(You can also plug that optical cable into the same port used for your Fios . However the HDMI used would have to not be detected inorder for the optical port to be used and sometimes this is not possible)

Thank you - that seems very clear. It seems that I should program a separate activity for the Sharp apps on my remote.

Thanks again
post #573 of 3648 Old 04-19-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Has there ever been a real comparison of the 80 inch 632 to the 844 as far as picture quality is concerned? I would be very interested to know how the contrast and color accuracy compares between sets. There are some great deals on the 632 out there and for the price difference it may be very tempting to me to get the 632. The only thing the 844 has as far as features go, that I care about, is the 3D. And even the 3D is not that important.
post #574 of 3648 Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Still waiting for Chad to gather his notes and post his results.... We should have a good idea of the differences between the two then
post #575 of 3648 Old 04-19-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 392
post #576 of 3648 Old 04-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Still waiting for Chad to gather his notes and post his results.... We should have a good idea of the differences between the two then

I'm really looking forward to reading Chad's review as well to help make a good choice between the 632 and 844. I don't really need the 3D...
post #577 of 3648 Old 04-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecampos View Post

Suzook

In general is in the factory settings; in system options the 3D depth contro is in auto, in av mode is in movie (3d), opc off, the motion enhancement i can not selected, quad pixel plus is in advanced, film mode is advanced +3, digital noise reduction is in the middle, monochrome is in off, range of OPC max -2, min -16.

When in the movie is not movement looks okey but if there is action its makes a lot of blur.

thanks

Most 24FPS movies have tons of motion blur as soon as the camera scans. Just freeze frame during one of your blurry moments and you'll see that the blur is inherent in the film frame itself. It's always been this way but maybe more annoying and obvious with 3D viewing. BTW - Went to the theater last Tuesday and saw Titanic again in 3D. I was stunned how blurry the picture became whenever the camera was moving. 3D cartoons are probably a better 3D experience and explain why they are usually the demos used.
post #578 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetweckesser View Post

Just spoke with Sharp today - the senior engineer thinks that it might be internal damage to the diffusion plate so they authorized a replacement TV - should be shipped from their Memphis warehouse in the next day or so and I should have it by end of next week. They also said they would take the current TV down and remount the new one. So far so good!

Same exact issue here. also getting it replaced from Sharp

Edit: i attached a pic looks just like your triangles. Maybe our tvs where next to each other on the line lol

post #579 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by motabus View Post

Same exact issue here. also getting it replaced from Sharp

Hmmmmmmmm!! Sounds like some serious quality control issues. I wonder how many people have the same problem and have just not recognized it yet? The best way to find it is to have a (nearly) completely white screen and then it really shows up. In normal scenes it is hardly detectable unless you look for it very carefully. You can bet that I am going to fire up the replacement TV while the delivery guys are still there and do a check.

Interesting - we both got the TV from the same dealer (Paul's).

For those people interested in testing for this defect quickly on your TV's I would suggest going to the internet and choosing something like Amazon - My Orders - when it lists your order there is usually 2/3 of the screen shows bright white - my particular defect shows up very dramatically in that type of situation.
post #580 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:

Hmmmmmmmm!! Sounds like some serious quality control issues. I wonder how many people have the same problem and have just not recognized it yet? The best way to find it is to have a (nearly) completely white screen and then it really shows up. In normal scenes it is hardly detectable unless you look for it very carefully. You can bet that I am going to fire up the replacement TV while the delivery guys are still there and do a check.

Agreed it is hard to spot. I did not even see it until my friend said "hey whats with that shadow" since then i cant stop looking at it while i wait for the new one.

Edit: yea also from Pauls. I think the new one comes right from Sharp. They also said they would mount the new one. I just hope it comes without any spots
post #581 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:

Agreed it is hard to spot. I did not even see it until my friend said "hey whats with that shadow" since then i cant stop looking at it while i wait for the new one.

Edit: yea also from Pauls. I think the new one comes right from Sharp. They also said they would mount the new one. I just hope it comes without any spots

Your triangle is a virtual match for the one I have (also have a smaller one). I am attaching another pic - look to the right of pilot.honda.com - there are faint white lines in an L shaped pattern with the screen darker to right of that - anything like that on yours? With a purer white background it really stands out.
LL
post #582 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
interesting as this was not the case with the 80"632 when they came out last winter (I've only seen ONE report of screen issues this whole time ) ,there have been more reports with problems with the 844 just in a few weeks than this whole time in regards to the 632 80" .
This is just a observation , "I am NOT saying the 844 is flawed" So calm down all you new owners of a 844 ................
BUT It would be Wise to any new owner of a 844 to check for these noted issues NOW !

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #583 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea, I'll check mine this weekend when I get home again. I also bought from pauls but didn't notice any issues at the time . Now the question is, if I do have it and its not an issue for me do I leave it for 3 years then use my warranty and get a new one later...

Whats the last couple #'s of the serials that have been affected
post #584 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea, I'll check mine this weekend when I get home again. I also bought from pauls but didn't notice any issues at the time . Now the question is, if I do have it and its not an issue for me do I leave it for 3 years then use my warranty and get a new one later...

sooner is always better than later , would be how I would approach that .They would replace a minor flaw very easy now but later a minor flaw wound not be so important to Sharp , seeing how you took so long to report it (It would seem to me ) ..

all that is I M H O

Mike

post #585 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Whats the last couple #'s of the serials that have been affected

A small triangular shadow in the lower part of the screen is almost invisible but I'll bet you couldn't live with the larger area defect noted on my last picture posted on the forum.

I wouldn't take the chance of leaving it alone - as I understand it these are internal defects in the diffusion plate and just don't pop up out of nowhere as the set is being used.

last four digits of S/N 3461
post #586 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A small triangular shadow in the lower part of the screen is almost invisible but I'll bet you couldn't live with the larger area defect noted on my last picture posted on the forum.

I wouldn't take the chance of leaving it alone - as I understand it these are internal defects in the diffusion plate and just don't pop up out of nowhere as the set is being used.

last four digits of S/N 3461

Believe it or not, mine is S/N 3462

and your right, I can live with some cosmetic issues on the frame but with what this TV cost I wouldn't live with a defect within the screen.
post #587 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Would you mind giving me the last four digits of your serial number? Look at the posts online about S/N
post #588 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I was only with my TV for 3 days last week and did not notice anything which stood out. I did use the browser a few times going to google which had the white background but then again how often to you look at the corners. I'll give it a good screening when I get there in the morning. The fact that our serials are 1 off makes me think that I am more likely then not to see an issue. I'll report in when I do. BTW who did you report this issue to ? Sharp customer service ?
post #589 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Believe it or not, mine is S/N 3462

and your right, I can live with some cosmetic issues on the frame but with what this TV cost I wouldn't live with a defect within the screen.

I will be very interested to see what you report when you get back home - be sure and find TV content (internet or otherwise) that has as much of a solid white background as you can - I think I might have totally missed this if I hadn't seen part of the hockey game last Sunday with large areas of the screen white due to the ice rink. Now of course I can pick it up all the time because I know exactly where to look.
post #590 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:

I was only with my TV for 3 days last week and did not notice anything which stood out. I did use the browser a few times going to google which had the white background but then again how often to you look at the corners. I'll give it a good screening when I get there in the morning. The fact that our serials are 1 off makes me think that I am more likely then not to see an issue. I'll report in when I do. BTW who did you report this issue to ? Sharp customer service ?

I went through Aquos Advantage 877-332-7867 - they have trained people on there who seem to know what they are doing (and are not from thousands of miles away - no offense to anyone meant). I have a contact with a higher-up person and, if it turns out you have the problem, let me know and and I will pm her number and name. Just don't want her to get overwhelmed with everyone calling her as the other service advisors have been very helpful.

If you haven't registered your TV with Aquos Advantage I would suggest you do so - it makes things go much smoother and you can contact people on Saturday and Sunday (I went through the entire first check including a reboot and reset of the unit on a Sunday).
post #591 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I registered it the first day ( That's how I was able to get my serial) good to know they are open on the weekend. Hopefully I won't need them
post #592 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 293
If you’re in the market for a very large TV for a room that isn’t always perfectly dark, you’ve probably narrowed down your decision to the big DLP rear projectors and an 80” Sharp LED LCD. Last year I was able to get an in depth look at the first 80” television from Sharp, the 80LE632U; and I was pleased to see that, in comparison with the competition, the Sharp was so good it wasn’t even a fair fight. Cleveland Plasma owner Chris Majoros told me he could arrange some evaluation time with Sharp’s newly updated version, the 844U, and I was eager to see what improvements, if any, were brought to an already good display.

The 632U had size, but it lacked many of the features or technology of some of Sharp’s smaller offerings. The 844U addresses that concern, bringing 3D, Quattron technology, and some calibration refinements to the feature list.

It retains the semi-matte (or semi-glossy) screen that does a pretty good job of diffusing reflections and staying dark in moderate lighting conditions. Areas of the screen that are not picking up reflections stay commendably dark. However, in a typical living room, care should still be taken to avoid direct reflections which can cause large washed out zones.

The viewing angle, like most LED LCDs, is quite sensitive if you value realistic skin tones and maximum contrast. Specifically, moving from the center couch cushion to a side cushion causes slightly visible compromises, especially on the far side of the screen. It’s a difference many people would not care about, even if they did notice, but videophiles should take care to view the big Sharp directly on axis and have it tilted down toward the viewer if applicable.

Before calibration:

Before making any calibration adjustments, I started some familiar Blu Ray demo material to evaluate the 844U’s out of the box performance. In Auto mode, color was inoffensive though lacking in richness. There was very good depth and pop in the image, and excellent shadow detail. However, dark objects were a little too visible and light. Pans and movement were too smoothed out, leading to the infamous Soap Opera Effect, and there were some motion artifacts that caused intermittent blockiness in the image. The picture quality was very good overall, though lacking in warmth and richness, leading to a slightly polite presentation that needed a little more zest to be realistic.

Standard mode looked awful, with oversaturated colors, blinding highlights, overexposed whites, and a bluish cast. The image was very etched and “enhanced” looking, with sunburnt skin tones and the same SOE and motion artifacts noted in Auto mode.

Movie was slightly too rich overall, and colors were slightly off: bright color highlights looked to have a different tone than subtle color shadings. Skin tones were a bit pinkish, and Movie shared a hint of the etched quality that made Standard mode unbearable. Motion and pans showed the same overly smoothed and artifact prone qualities.

Game mode was somewhat highlighted and overexposed, with bluish whites and somewhat pale skin tones. Thankfully, motion lacked the SOE and artifacts noted above, but was a bit choppy overall. There was less detail visible in bright whites, and the overall presentation was flat, lacking richness.

User mode was horrible, looking way too colored and highlighted. Color was very unnatural and over hyped, and the image had an exaggerated sense of depth along with the SOE and motion artifacts.

Clearly, the 844U had some very good qualities yearning to be unleashed with proper calibration.

Calibration:

Care had to be taken to resync the meter with different settings of the Aquo Motion selection. Sync rates were found to be between 120 Hz and 480 Hz, as expected, although the 240 Hz mode synced at 600 Hz. Light output, changing only the AquoMotion setting, was 52 fL in 480 Hz mode, 54 fL in 240 Hz mode, and 71 fL in 120 Hz High and Low modes. Since the higher, more advanced settings resulted in less light output and contrast, 120 Hz High, Low or off would be preferred unless 240 or 480 settings were found to improve the motion. I could see no visible improvement to the higher settings with the material I sampled.
Uniformity was very good with black and white, though with a 10% dark gray field I could see that the middle looked slightly darker and greener than the right and left edges. I can’t imagine this being visible with normal program material.

With past Sharp LED models, I have found the need to turn the Red tint CMS adjustment away from the direction the measurements indicated it needed to go in order to achieve realistic skin tones. Thankfully, that tradition has been broken with the 844U, and the Red CMS adjustment seemed to behave more predictably and accurately than on previous models. There was some interaction between the CMS controls, with the Blue control affecting Cyan, etc.

I looked closely at the 844U’s screen with a magnifying glass, and the Quattron exclusive yellow pixel was active with every picture mode and setting change I tried, including the Color Gamut Range selection.

To my surprise, I found that after connecting the 844U’s serial port to my computer, I was able to tell CalMAN that I was connected to a Sharp Elite and activate the same ISF Day and Night picture modes that are normally found only on the Elite. However, as with the Elite, those modes were not without their limitations. The main limiting factor was that gamma ended up being less flexible than in Movie mode; because in the ISF modes, changing the gamma selection, along with any reduction of the contrast control below hard clipping at the 235 level, and even strong RGB drive adjustments, resulted in significant displacement of the 10 point white balance adjustment. If I got gamma, white balance, and contrast set to their optimal positions, then adjusting the blue 10 point adjustment at position 8 would affect the output somewhere else, say 95%, instead of the intended 80%. This was not linear with position, so it could not be compensated for. This caused all sorts of problems, making the 10 point adjustment very compromised if not unusable. In the end, I found that if I was willing to accept a much lower gamma and no whiter than white, I could get a good result. Since Day modes are often tuned for lower gamma and higher contrast, ISF Day mode was calibrated in that fashion. Movie mode, which did not have as severe limitations and displacement, was calibrated as a more accurate Night mode.

The modified ANSI contrast measured 2571:1 after calibration, with black at .014 fL. The black level will vary with the backlight setting.

Colors were more linear with level at a contrast setting of 28, but that setting displaced the 10 point controls too much even in Movie mode, and it reduced the ANSI contrast to 2036:1. After finding these limitations, I returned the contrast to the slightly higher setting.

After calibration:

In a dark room, Movie mode looked great, with good pop and natural color. Skin tones were very good: possibly a bit polite, but true. Overall, skin tones were more natural than on previous models. There was excellent shadow detail and depth. Blacks looked great; slightly lighter than on the best plasmas, but in line with a mid tier plasma. There was no banding or otherwise nasty layering; transitions in brightness levels and color were impressively smooth. In addition, the picture was perfectly stable, with no pumping or fluctuations. Watching hockey, I could see no Dirty Screen Effect unless I looked intently for it, and at that point I may have been fooling myself by looking too hard.

3D picture quality was well above average in the traditional aspects of color, contrast, and so on, although I was bothered by more excessive crosstalk than I see on most televisions.

Overall, the 844U shows a very impressive picture. The addition of a 10 point white balance/gamma adjustment and better red behavior led to an important upgrade in picture quality over the already good 632U, and the addition of 3D should provide added enjoyment for many.

Sharp 80LE844U Movie.pdf 264.490234375k . file

Sharp 80LE844U ISF Day.pdf 264.541015625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sharp 80LE844U ISF Day.pdf (264.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: pdf Sharp 80LE844U Movie.pdf (264.5 KB, 226 views)
post #593 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanx Chad !!
We really do appreciate you giving us a review !
Your reviews are always well done & very informative !!

You ever get out to the Gold Coast PM me , I'd love to have do my set !!

Mike

post #594 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Thanx Chad !!

I enjoyed the review also and glad I waited for the 844 - now if Chad could just post his settings wouldn't that be great? Just kidding!!!!!
post #595 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I enjoyed the review also and glad I waited for the 844 - now if Chad could just post his settings wouldn't that be great? Just kidding!!!!!

I myself got the 632 80" while I wait on the 80" Elite
The 632 80" is already sold to a buddy when I get the Elite .. he's bought my last 2 left-overs from my up-grades ...
Already his son asked "when's Mike gonna sell us that 80" ??"

it's a sickness ==> Up-gradyitist

Mike

post #596 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:

I myself got the 632 80" while I wait on the 80" Elite
The 632 80' is already sold to a buddy when I get the Elite .. he's bought my last 2 left-overs from my up-grades ...
Already his son asked "when's Mike gonna sell us that 80" ??"

it's a sickness ==> Up-gradyitist

I was considering waiting on the Elite 80 (if it really is ever released) but I do "need" another 80 for the bedroom and for the price of one Elite (most likely) I could pay for 2 of the 844's
post #597 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was considering waiting on the Elite 80 (if it really is ever released) but I do "need" another 80 for the bedroom and for the price of one Elite (most likely) I could pay for 2 of the 844's

Yeah I know what you mean about the $

only reason I'm considering a 80" Elite is that there might be a settlement in my future "Knocks on wood "

Mike

post #598 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:

Thanx Chad !!

Thanks!
post #599 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 AM

I gave in and bought the 844 and it just got delivered... I figure I've been waiting for a respectable upgrade from my previous Sony 70" KDF70XBR950 and the 844 looks beautiful in person. I was going to wait for the 80" Sharp Elite, but as of now its vapor ware, there's no official announcement, only hopes and dreams by us enthusiasts and if it were to come out, Sharp wouldn't put it out any time soon since the 844 just came out, maybe in 2013 ?

I'm going to go with the Sharp manufacturers warranty as from what i've heard it's better than going with the retail outlet warranty in terms of coverage, full panel replacement and Sharp will even pickup the TV if its defective which is great considering the size of the TV.

Does anyone know if there a specific sharp warranty number that I should call or is the generic sharp customer support number the way to go?

Are there any firmware updates available for the TV? I won't be able to really dive into the setup until tomorrow, but was wondering if thats something I need to do ?

Any other suggestions for this new 844 owner?

Thanks!
post #600 of 3648 Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Should be up very, very soon.......

Chris,

Do you happen to have the last 4 of the serial of the 844 you had calibrated? Interested to see how far off it is from the units with issues
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv , Sharp Aquos Lc 80le844u 80 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page