Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE844U Owners thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 3654 Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
did you have any luck with that 64es8000? LOL

Magnolia dislplays the 60es8000 to the right of teh sharp 80" 844 and to the right of the 60 ES8000 should be the 64" 8000 samsung plasma

All Magnolia HT's should have that setup.... its differrent if walk into a Magnolia Audio Video store
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 3654 Old 04-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
The Magnolia by me has a separate viewing room for the 80 Sharp along with the Sharp projector.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #753 of 3654 Old 04-28-2012, 04:23 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post

Just called BB here where I live in Cali...Man, these Magnolia reps...are they or are they not supposed to be adept, experts? This guy was a complete idiot. First, he wants to tell me that they are selling the 844u, but do not have any on display. And he says since the 844u is full backlit and last years 632 was edge lit, the 844u is so much better, not to mention it's a 240hz tv..

I tried to explain that the 632 was full array but, he just kept telling me I was wrong. Then I ask him about the Samsung ES8000 and he tells me that the sammy has a way better pic quality then the sharp. He also says that they have a 64" on display. I tell him are you sure it is a 64"? and that they just came out with the 60" and the 65 and 75 are still in the works. He says that samsung decided to go with the 64" instead of the 65"....

no where do I see a 64es8000 online...What do these ppl take us for? Do they really think we are idiots? I started spewing some tech jargain "AVS" style to make him aware I was not an idiot and he still acted like he knew it all...Oh well, i'm off to Best buy to see the NEW 64" inch Sammy and the edge lit 632u...Later

Same experience with the Magnolia "experts" in Florida - you can't argue with them - they have this bravado of "know it all" tech and they are really ignorant of the facts.
post #754 of 3654 Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 PM

I just read all 26 pages and 22 page thread on 80" pricing. Still not sure which one to buy...the 632 80" or 844 80".

I currently have a Mitsu. 73833 that I bought 4 years ago. Has anyone switched from a Mitsu. DLP to one of the Sharp 80"? How do they compare in PQ? I think my tv has a really good picture so if the 632/844 has a even better pic then I am sold.

I have no experience with LCD's so I am trying to make sure I will not be disappointed after plunking down a large sum of $$$$.
post #755 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
I'm really disappointed. i went to see a 844 yesterday. It was on a basketball game when I got there and there were these terrible halos around the players when they moved. We tried all the modes from 240 down to none to try to eliminate it but it didn't work.

We figured maybe it was the TV feed, so hooked a blu-ray directly to the set. It was exactly they same, only worse because the clear picture made it 1000 more obvious.

There's a blurring shimmer around the focused objects during pans. It didn't have to be a sweeping pan either. A camera following a person(s) movement caused it too. It was not subtle. The person(s) being followed get "heat shimmer" if the camera pans to follow them.

What the heck is that? Is there a way to get rid of it? I was there to buy the TV, I left without it because of that.
post #756 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post

I'm really disappointed. i went to see a 844 yesterday. It was on a basketball game when I got there and there were these terrible halos around the players when they moved. We tried all the modes from 240 down to none to try to eliminate it but it didn't work.

We figured maybe it was the TV feed, so hooked a blu-ray directly to the set. It was exactly they same, only worse because the clear picture made it 1000 more obvious.

There's a blurring shimmer around the focused objects during pans. It didn't have to be a sweeping pan either. A camera following a person(s) movement caused it too. It was not subtle. The person(s) being followed get "heat shimmer" if the camera pans to follow them.

What the heck is that? Is there a way to get rid of it? I was there to buy the TV, I left without it because of that.

Never expect critical viewing at stores. Listen to the feedback here. Pq once adjusted is very very good
post #757 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Never expect critical viewing at stores. Listen to the feedback here. Pq once adjusted is very very good

So, you are saying that having a blu-ray plugged directly into the TV and going through all the calibration settings Movie,auto, etc.. and all the motion settings from off to 240, isn't enough?

What exactly do you have to do with the set to get that effect to go away? I'm not talking about PQ, I'm talking about the halo during pans.
post #758 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 07:30 AM

I would recommend going to another store and checking out a different 844. Not sure what's going on with that one.
post #759 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigaz View Post

I would recommend going to another store and checking out a different 844. Not sure what's going on with that one.

Sounds like a bad set to me
post #760 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

I went to a 2nd store (local custom installer place instead of big box store), they didn't have an 844, but we did the same thing with 2 80" 632s, one was calibrated in a "viewing" room. Exactly the same issue on both. There is either some setting we are missing, or those TV's are crap. The PQ is fine, but I don't know how you guys stand the panning aura.

The thing is, it isn't subtle. It is a freakin huge, obvious blur halo around all focused objects during pans. It looks like a CGI effect it's so obvious. Are you guys telling me that your sets don't do that? Or, do you just learn to ignore it?
post #761 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyhand View Post

I just read all 26 pages and 22 page thread on 80" pricing. Still not sure which one to buy...the 632 80" or 844 80".

I currently have a Mitsu. 73833 that I bought 4 years ago. Has anyone switched from a Mitsu. DLP to one of the Sharp 80"? How do they compare in PQ? I think my tv has a really good picture so if the 632/844 has a even better pic then I am sold.

I have no experience with LCD's so I am trying to make sure I will not be disappointed after plunking down a large sum of $$$$.

2 Mitsu 73831 (bought approx. 6 years ago) - both now replaced with 844's. I thought the picture quality was really good on the Mitsu's until I had both of these up and running (calibrated with Suzook's settings) and there is no contest - proper skin tones, detail in dark scenes, overall sharpness IMO - much better on the Sharps - don't think you would be disappointed. I would certainly go with the 844 if you can get one of the good deals that is $800 to $1,000 more than the 632 - 3D viewing is awesome + all the other technical improvements - if you think of in terms of a 4-5 year investment it makes sense (or at least that is a good rationalization LOL).
post #762 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM

Is there a difference between these models?:

post #763 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I went to a 2nd store (local custom installer place instead of big box store), they didn't have an 844, but we did the same thing with 2 80" 632s, one was calibrated in a "viewing" room. Exactly the same issue on both. There is either some setting we are missing, or those TV's are crap. The PQ is fine, but I don't know how you guys stand the panning aura.

The thing is, it isn't subtle. It is a freakin huge, obvious blur halo around all focused objects during pans. It looks like a CGI effect it's so obvious. Are you guys telling me that your sets don't do that? Or, do you just learn to ignore it?

OK - Here's what I believe is happening.........Sharp's Film Mode should be set to OFF or STANDARD. If it is set to ADVANCED HIGH or LOW, Sharp's mediocre frame interpolation causes the weird haze you see around moving objects.
The MOTION ENHANCEMENT settings (120/240/480 Hz) don't affect this but may introduce another weird effect - double balls occasionally show up in sportscasts like golf or hockey.
Make sure the sharpness is set no higher than +1 as that will accentuate artifacts also.
Please let us know if this clears it up for you.
Cheers.
post #764 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 PM

I have terrible motion blur on my 844. Film mode is off, but I'll try lowering sharpness. Will that not make the picture too soft?
post #765 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

OK - Here's what I believe is happening.........Sharp's Film Mode should be set to OFF or STANDARD. If it is set to ADVANCED HIGH or LOW, Sharp's mediocre frame interpolation causes the weird haze you see around moving objects.
The MOTION ENHANCEMENT settings (120/240/480 Hz) don't affect this but may introduce another weird effect - double balls occasionally show up in sportscasts like golf or hockey.
Make sure the sharpness is set no higher than +1 as that will accentuate artifacts also.
Cheers.

Ok, I'll go back Monday and see if Film Mode Off and sharpness reduced to less < 1 make that go away.
post #766 of 3654 Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:

Ok, I'll go back Monday and see if Film Mode Off and sharpness reduced to less < 1 make that go away.

I suggest set the motion @ 120 low or off as well .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #767 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 AM

Okay, now I have 3 small dim areas on my display. It's becoming more noticeable to me in certain shots while watching all content. I took some pictures to see what people on this forum think. First, I'll let you be the judge if you even notice them and second on if I should even bother calling Sharp.

post #768 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 03:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
masterslacker,

Actually I see 4 dots in the first picture and they appear to me as though they may be in direct relation to the mounting bolts at the back of the display (assuming it is mounted in some fashion and not just on the stand/base). If it is indeed the mounting locations (centered on the screen) then the bolts were probably tightened too much and may have damaged the panel.

Hope I am wrong, best of luck!
Jason
post #769 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

masterslacker,

Actually I see 4 dots in the first picture and they appear to me as though they may be in direct relation to the mounting bolts at the back of the display (assuming it is mounted in some fashion and not just on the stand/base). If it is indeed the mounting locations (centered on the screen) then the bolts were probably tightened too much and may have damaged the panel.

Hope I am wrong, best of luck!
Jason

Nope not mounted just sitting on a stand. Interesting thought though.
post #770 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterslacker View Post

Okay, now I have 3 small dim areas on my display. It's becoming more noticeable to me in certain shots while watching all content. I took some pictures to see what people on this forum think. First, I'll let you be the judge if you even notice them and second on if I should even bother calling Sharp.

call Sharp .. you will see those forever if you don't ...

Mike

post #771 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

post #772 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

that must be for Daddy's Favorite Little Girl !

Mike

post #773 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah she turns three tomorrow and the occasion had to be marked with her first HDTV. They just grow up so damn fast these days. Next thing you know she will want 8K tech

wonder how well the Polar Bear takes an ISF
post #774 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterslacker View Post

Nope not mounted just sitting on a stand. Interesting thought though.

Whew, thank goodness I was wrong there.

Jason
post #775 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Cheers.

Thanks for the response. I made it back to the custom install store this afternoon and they were nice enough to go through the setup again. We used a demo trailer of Transformer 3 (one of dumbest movies ever), where the weeval thing is coring the building and the soldiers and a hot chick, with all her talent in her shirt, are running around inside.

Anyhow, when the floor tilts and they run across the room is one of the most easily observed times the halo occurs.

By turning movie mode off, motion off and sharpness to 1, it was much better but still there. Sitting 14 feet from the screen it was still clearly obvious. Although it was now not a heat shimmer halo, but a blurry edge effect. I'm not trying to be a kill joy, but this TV isn't for me.

Thanks to those who take the time to provide their technical advice. I love this forum and the information that it provides so that we can make informed decisions. Absolutely invaluable. So, even though I have a negative experience with the TV, I had another positive experience with this forum!

Cheers!
post #776 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Thanks for the response. I made it back to the custom install store this afternoon and they were nice enough to go through the setup again. We used a demo trailer of Transformer 3 (one of dumbest movies ever), where the weeval thing is coring the building and the soldiers and a hot chick, with all her talent in her shirt, are running around inside.

Anyhow, when the floor tilts and they run across the room is one of the most easily observed times the halo occurs.

By turning movie mode off, motion off and sharpness to 1, it was much better but still there. Sitting 14 feet from the screen it was still clearly obvious. Although it was now not a heat shimmer halo, but a blurry edge effect. I'm not trying to be a kill joy, but this TV isn't for me.

Thanks to those who take the time to provide their technical advice. I love this forum and the information that it provides so that we can make informed decisions. Absolutely invaluable. So, even though I have a negative experience with the TV, I had another positive experience with this forum!

Cheers!

You're welcome. We appreciate your honest comments and praise. One thing I would like to suggest, however, is that when you see some unattractive blurring or other motion effect, try pausing the presentation and see if it is still present. In the case of 24 FPS movies I have found that whatever blurring is perceived and blamed on the LCD display, it was STILL THERE when I paused it and looked at the frozen frame. Of course, everything is magnified, including any flaws, when you look at very large screens (unless you're back the proper distance - Eg: 7 feet for a 55" screen and 10.5 feet for an 80")
Oh! What is the time frame where the floor tilts in Tranformer 3? I would like to see how it looks on my 80-632U. (I'm ashamed to admit I have this movie and I agree - it stinks!) Megan Fox's replacement is certainly not for me. What is it with these inflated blubbery lips these days? Must be a fish lover.
post #777 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tranformer 3, Megan Fox's replacement is certainly not for me. What is it with these inflated blubbery lips these days? Must be a fish lover.

L O L I wonder what it feels like kissing her !?!?

Mike

post #778 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You're welcome. We appreciate your honest comments and praise. One thing I would like to suggest, however, is that when you see some unattractive blurring or other motion effect, try pausing the presentation and see if it is still present. In the case of 24 FPS movies I have found that whatever blurring is perceived and blamed on the LCD display, it was STILL THERE when I paused it and looked at the frozen frame. Of course, everything is magnified, including any flaws, when you look at very large screens (unless you're back the proper distance - Eg: 7 feet for a 55" screen and 10.5 feet for an 80")
Oh! What is the time frame where the floor tilts in Tranformer 3? I would like to see how it looks on my 80-632U. (I'm ashamed to admit I have this movie and I agree - it stinks!) Megan Fox's replacement is certainly not for me. What is it with these inflated blubbery lips these days? Must be a fish lover.

Great point ... we didn't pause. However, we did run the test on a panasonic plasma 55 or 60, sorry didn't really try to get the model, was just trying to see if the blur was the media or the tv. It is NOT there in any way shape or form on the plasma. It was also not visible on the Samsung 60" LCD. Obviously these are much smaller displays so you would expect flaws to hidden better.

Back to my original problem. I have a KDS-R70XBR2 with a bad optical block. I don't want to go down in size or PQ. It's really funny that a 7 or 8 year old rear projection is still not being bettered for PQ/Size. At least that I have found so far. The Mitz DLPs have horrible pictures by comparison to the XBR2.

Still hoping for a 70->80 plasma that looks good. (EDIT: And a mortal can afford)
post #779 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 PM
4MM

^^^ I have the same Sony TV and I feel the same about the PQ. My XBR2 has a bad optical block as well but it's PQ is better than the Sharp.

I kept telling my wife this, but she doesn't notice those things. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.
post #780 of 3654 Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Great point ... we didn't pause. However, we did run the test on a panasonic plasma 55 or 60, sorry didn't really try to get the model, was just trying to see if the blur was the media or the tv. It is NOT there in any way shape or form on the plasma. It was also not visible on the Samsung 60" LCD. Obviously these are much smaller displays so you would expect flaws to hidden better.

Back to my original problem. I have a KDS-R70XBR2 with a bad optical block. I don't want to go down in size or PQ. It's really funny that a 7 or 8 year old rear projection is still not being bettered for PQ/Size. At least that I have found so far. The Mitz DLPs have horrible pictures by comparison to the XBR2.

Still hoping for a 70->80 plasma that looks good. (EDIT: And a mortal can afford)

I have the same 70xbr2 with optical block issue although mine is just causing slight green tinting I decided to go ahead and purchase the 844.

Just like you I really liked the picture quality of xbr2 but from what I've been reading on the forum about 844 it's promising to be just as good if not better after proper break in and calibration and also I like to have that additional aspect of 3d. I first tried the 3d on the 60" xbr model that Sony gave me as compensation for the xbr2 and while I agree it's not something you would use all the time it's great to be able to watch 3d movies and play 3d games with the family.

I don't expect 844 to be perfect but if it's good as other members describe it to be then I'll be more than satisfied given that this also fits perfectly in to my custom made cabinet for xbr2.

Wish you all the luck finding your replacement for xbr2.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv , Sharp Aquos Lc 80le844u 80 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc80le844u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page