AVS Forum banner
524K views 4K replies 383 participants last post by  shpitz 
#1 ·
let's start a thread on this soon to released Sharp LCD 80" model ....

#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook /forum/post/21769909

Not surprised because when is the last time you hear anyone buying from Sears for larger tv's

No disrespect but to me Sears is more apt to go under before Best Buy

Sears around here been selling the 632 80" cheaper than BB by $500 but they get on their credit charges of around 25% from the second you walk outta the door ......

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura /forum/post/21770176

Who would buy such a luxury item on credit?

Simple, buyer protection. It's the smart thing to do. If you buy it, and have problems within the first 30 days with the tv that the seller won't fix, you can get the cc company to reverse charges. Saves you hassles when buying online or locally. Then pay it off fully before interest accrues.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman /forum/post/21770375

Simple, buyer protection. It's the smart thing to do. If you buy it, and have problems within the first 30 days with the tv that the seller won't fix, you can get the cc company to reverse charges. Saves you hassles when buying online or locally. Then pay it off fully before interest accrues.

Oh, I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you meant "buy it and pay 25% interest".

Sometimes, depending on how you invest, if they offer 0% on 5k why not buy a tax free muni high grade bond fund paying 1.5% and call it - or stick it in Discovercard bank CD and make 1.1% (taxable) or pay down your home mortagage and get "instand interest" and save the next 12 months

Well, I am not insured to give financial advise (no I do not work for these companies just kill cancer)

DocACE911

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy /forum/post/21770126

Sears around here been selling the 632 80" cheaper than BB by $500 but they get on their credit charges of around 25% from the second you walk outta the door ......

Funny as I too live in California L.A. area. I was told that Sears does not have and will not get the Sharp 80 inch sets. This was the Sharp rep I met in the store. It was also the same guy who told me that the soon to be released 2012 80 inch sets had Aquamotion 480. I asked if that meant that the panel itself was a native 240 and he nodded affirmatively. Does anyone know if he is correct on either???

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo /forum/post/21773353

Funny as I too live in California L.A. area. I was told that Sears does not have and will not get the Sharp 80 inch sets. This was the Sharp rep I met in the store. It was also the same guy who told me that the soon to be released 2012 80 inch sets had Aquamotion 480. I asked if that meant that the panel itself was a native 240 and he nodded affirmatively. Does anyone know if he is correct on either???

Well the initial press release from Sharp on the 844 80" specifically mentioned a new 240 panel so it'd be consistent with that. Also, as discussed, it's a quattron panel whereas the 632 is not. So it's definitely a different panel, making native 240 possible.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody /forum/post/21777603

Just came across this video on the 844.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Q9l...e_gdata_player

One interesting thing the rep says is that we may see a model with local dimming in the not too distant future. Obviously noting substantive, but could be an Elite or 945.

that's been around for awhile ..

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy /forum/post/21777657

that's been around for awhile ..

For sure. It is from CES after all

The reason i highlighted it is because I just hadn't recalled anyone previously noting that someone from Sharp had said something fairly leading about a local dimming 80" possibly coming soon.

Not definitive of course, but it wouldn't surprise me if one comes in the fall, around the time when they refresh the Elites...

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura /forum/post/21760228

ABT is amazing. I live in Chicago (the "real chicago not the suburbs) and, despite the taxes, they do there BEST to match crazy internet pricing while providing simply unmatched support.

We shall see how much the

80" 847

70" 945

These are my 2 choices.

Will be sitting about 8 feet away and use it for HTPC/Windows Desktop (typing on 73" dying DLP now)/PC Gaming/XBOX etc.

I live in Chicago also. I'll be going to ABT this Saturday just to look around. Going to ABT is an event. If there is a nicer, larger CE store I'd like to know. The Chicago Sun-Times best writer even wrote an article on ABT a couple of years ago. Their store is like a mall as it has a Sony Store, Apple Store etc. The have a large area in the back that just bakes free cookies for shoppers. The also have a restaurant just down the street in the strip that they own. There are cool things for kids to do also to keep them occupied and there is a huge fish tank in there. A lot of celebrites shop there and they have autographed pictures of each. It's one of a kind place and even during the height of the current reccession they still had a full staff there. There are so many people that work there that it boggles my mind.

#63 ·
Soooooo tempted to pick one of these up after having such a great experience with our 70LE735 the past six months (would move it to the game room).

The only thing holding me back is the lure of those hazy/smoke-filled rumors regarding some sort of '90-inch 845+' model coming later in the year for Xmas.

Have we debunked and proven that rumor that rumor as false, so I can justify pulling the trigger on the 80" or is the threat of a 90-incher still alive?

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako88888 /forum/post/0

Soooooo tempted to pick one of these up after having such a great experience with our 70LE735 the past six months (would move it to the game room).

The only thing holding me back is the lure of those hazy/smoke-filled rumors regarding some sort of '90-inch 845+' model coming later in the year for Xmas.

Have we debunked and proven that rumor that rumor as false, so I can justify pulling the trigger on the 80" or is the threat of a 90-incher still alive?

Only rumors thus far with no substantiated info to even put it in the likely category...

#65 ·
Well, 80" Elite seems to have a lot of traction .... The big magnolia downtown Chicago is giving it floors pace come September! But they cannot confirm it exists.... Just an "elite" the needs the size of 80"

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy /forum/post/21762616

that's what I'm using is a articulating mount as my 80" has to clear my fireplace mantel & at the same time be low enough that the display is not @ the ceiling .

I've seen an entertainment center that had doors that closed fully & when you opened the doors the Display was also on a articulating mount that the display was to be pulled out & then angled for the best viewing . It was a very high end set-up . But his wife didn't want the display dominating the room when it was not in use there for the reason for the doors & the mount .. Me ,I'm not that picky thou I do like a clean look . & the Sanus 228 fits that bill ..for me

Do you have any pics of your setup? And, where did you put your center speaker?

I'm planning on mounting the tv over my fireplace mantel too but I'm worried the tv will be to high for comfortable viewing.

If I mount the tv on it's stand on the fireplace mantel the top of the tv will be 6 inches below my 99 inch ceiling.
My viewing distance is 11.5 feet.. does that sound like a bad idea?

#67 ·
** EDIT this is a 632 80" *** EDIT !!!

I used a small table . The mount is a Sanus

http://www.jr.com/sanus-system/pe/SSY_XF228B1/

best price here

http://www.buy.com/prod/211552255.html

I got mine from J&R but it was $336 @ the time

go to the Sanus site & they have numerios videos of the mount in action

I place the very bottom edge of the wall mount plate right above the mantle = 2"

that mount will pull away 24" can radically angle & will tilt downs as well ..it's bullet proof=> Heavy duty as you can get

the 80" is 34" off the floor & about 28" from the ceiling @ a slight tilt that makes the screen effortless to watch

Hope that helps any other questions PM me no problemo !!

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy /forum/post/21805676

** EDIT this is a 632 80" *** EDIT !!!

I used a small table . The mount is a Sanus

http://www.jr.com/sanus-system/pe/SSY_XF228B1/

best price here

http://www.buy.com/prod/211552255.html

I got mine from J&R but it was $336 @ the time

go to the Sanus site & they have numerios videos of the mount in action

I place the very bottom edge of the wall mount plate right above the mantle = 2"

that mount will pull away 24" can radically angle & will tilt downs as well ..it's bullet proof=> Heavy duty as you can get

the 80" is 34" off the floor & about 28" from the ceiling @ a slight tilt that makes the screen effortless to watch

Hope that helps any other questions PM me no problemo !!

You must be single, if I threw up an 80" on top and to the side of a fireplace and open large speaker with cable wires running in the open and media boxes on portable mobile cart the wife would slappy me with divorce papers.

Definitely a TV one needs to design the room around as it's so monstrous. Whats with ABT calling this 844 80" as being 480 Aquamotion? Is it doing what the LG's do with scanning or just another BS spec?

"Sharp AQUOS 80" LE844 Series LED Black Flat Panel HDTV - LC80LE844U/ Full Array LED, Quattron, 3D, AquoMotion 480, SmartCentral, WiFi Built-In/ ETA April 2012"

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr /forum/post/21816654

...clever
...would she take the westa your gear

lol..

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/21816582

You must be single, if I threw up an 80" on top and to the side of a fireplace and open large speaker with cable wires running in the open and media boxes on portable mobile cart the wife would slappy me with divorce papers.

Definitely a TV one needs to design the room around as it's so monstrous. Whats with ABT calling this 844 80" as being 480 Aquamotion? Is it doing what the LG's do with scanning or just another BS spec?

"Sharp AQUOS 80" LE844 Series LED Black Flat Panel HDTV - LC80LE844U/ Full Array LED, Quattron, 3D, AquoMotion 480, SmartCentral, WiFi Built-In/ ETA April 2012"

Nope I'm married , ,I had a custom entertainment center made of all Red Oak like my back wall when I had my Sharp 88UM 60 " but it was large & was too tall for the 80" (it woulda placed the 80" @ the ceiling) the idea now is just have the center below the 80" which hangs on a fully movable mount & have all the AV gear off to the corner on a stylish black glass AV type rack , the heights & wides up on the ceiling, the mains just under the heights & the dual cylinder subs near them . everything depended on how the display was gonna look on the wall 1st & then work out the other items slowly to get it right .I designed the entertain center 1st with the 60" the last time around & was not happy when the 60" went in last . This time ,I knew I would place the display 1st then design around the display .

That wires & rack is all temporary as is the small table , the speaks need their grills on as well , It was a get the beast on the wall 1st then figure out the equipment furniture needs later .The one constant was where the Beast was going ,the fireplace! Everything in the room is focused on that point . I'm working on the details for the rest as we speak , wire management is this weeks task .The wife puts up with my set-up , she's great ! as she understands it's not gonna look ghetto when I'm done ..

480 is a setting & that's where I feel that the panel in not quite a native 240 but software processed as seems to have 120,240,480Hz settings looking @ the manual

Yet to see a Sharp official spec sheet on the 844 ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.