Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE844U Owners thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #991 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry little off topic but I'm considering switching from Dish to DTV. It seems DTV has 1080p and also 3D programming. Also since I'll be able to get new customer deal with them and get their whole house DVR and 3 other HD receivers.

Anyone care to give me any feedback on this especially if you've tried both on the 844? Can they use my existing wiring all the way from the outside?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

Sorry little off topic but I'm considering switching from Dish to DTV. It seems DTV has 1080p and also 3D programming. Also since I'll be able to get new customer deal with them and get their whole house DVR and 3 other HD receivers.

Anyone care to give me any feedback on this especially if you've tried both on the 844? Can they use my existing wiring all the way from the outside?

Thank you in advance.

I have 3 HDDVRs and they all work fine. They did use my existing wiring. Make sure you get the internet connection kit at the time of sign up. I've had no problems with the 3D and the 844, either.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #993 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Finally got prompted for firmware update 260U1204121. Same one that's been on the website. I've checked several times since I got it a week ago and it always said I didn't need an update. It went quick. Took more time to turn on my laptop.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #994 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

I have 3 HDDVRs and they all work fine. They did use my existing wiring. Make sure you get the internet connection kit at the time of sign up. I've had no problems with the 3D and the 844, either.

S~

Is there any noticeable PQ difference on 844?
post #995 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Is there any noticeable PQ difference on 844?

It's been a while, but compared to Dish there is less compression. I haven't compared Dish to Direct on this TV.

S~

post #996 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's been a while, but compared to Dish there is less compression. I haven't compared Dish to Direct on this TV.

S~

I need a referal for DTV. Interested in PM'ing me one and we can both save $10 a month.
post #997 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I need a referal for DTV. Interested in PM'ing me one and we can both save $10 a month.

I'll check and PM you tomorrow. More than likely I'll be switching in June to Xfinity to save some bucks. Our Phone and Internet cost as much as TV.

S~

post #998 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll check and PM you tomorrow. More than likely I'll be switching in June to Xfinity to save some bucks. Our Phone and Internet cost as much as TV.

S~

It states all I need is your direct tv account number.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/referr...alProgram.jsp?
post #999 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Liked: 11
10K ?! a little bit higher than I thought

when can we see a Panasonic 75" VT50 and 85" VT50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

My Sharp guy just confirmed a release of the 90" Sharp mid June. Inventory will be tight I was told and the MSRP will be $10K .

post #1000 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Son of a bitch..
844 gets delivered like 5 hours late..
They unbox it, looks perfect, box is in great shape..
So they leave, I get my girlfriend to help me assemble the stand..
We get it all set up w/o issue.. Turn it on.. there's an enormous crack from end to end..

/vomit.

I called Pauls already, they're already starting a claim w/the shipper. I wish I could've seen this before they left, but there's just nothing to see.
Looking now, I can what looks like a smudge on the glass in the upper right corner of the screen..

Oh, BTW.. I did find a trick to spot cracks.
If you take delivery of one of these tvs and want an easy way to detect cracks w/o turning it on, digital camera with a good flash... 1 angle shot and it's all visible.

This just sucks though.
post #1001 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax-jp View Post

Son of a bitch..
844 gets delivered like 5 hours late..
They unbox it, looks perfect, box is in great shape..
So they leave, I get my girlfriend to help me assemble the stand..
We get it all set up w/o issue.. Turn it on.. there's an enormous crack from end to end..

/vomit.

I called Pauls already, they're already starting a claim w/the shipper. I wish I could've seen this before they left, but there's just nothing to see.
Looking now, I can what looks like a smudge on the glass in the upper right corner of the screen..

If you take delivery of one of these tvs and want an easy way to detect cracks w/o turning it on, digital camera with a good flash... 1 angle shot and it's all visible.

This just sucks though.

damn that's a bi*ch ... Sorry to hear that ..

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1002 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Son of a bitch..

This just sucks though.

Can you post a picture please. I'm sure a lot of us are curious to see it.
post #1003 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

Can you post a picture please. I'm sure a lot of us are curious to see it.

Yea, I definitely will. give me a few minutes.. They're in NEF format so they're kinda ridiculously large.
post #1004 of 3653 Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 PM

Flash off:

Flash on:

And power on, epic fail:

/sigh
LL
LL
LL
post #1005 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I think that Sharp assumes (quite rightly) that virtually everybody that buys this set will have cable. As far as I know, cable providers all include some form of TV Guide. I can't imagine buying this set and watching it with an antenna, unless there was NO choice.

We all know what happens when anyone assumes any thing........

You make an ASS out of U and ME..........

Ever stop to think maybe - I dont have a cable box as I prefer to have a direct link to the topology instead of a rental box?
post #1006 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks! Boy that musta been heartbreaking!
post #1007 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 04:58 AM

Sorry about your mishap...hope you get it resolved. Nothing worst then the excitement of a new TV then you can't even enjoy!....There should be some sort of compensation for shattering excitement.
post #1008 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 AM

You know, the thing that surprised me the most about this shipment is that there were no Shock Watches on the box. When I bought my LG 55LHX last year from onecall, it had 3 of them on the box.
With a TV this large, you'd think they'd put them everywhere.
post #1009 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You know, the thing that surprised me the most about this shipment is that there were no Shock Watches on the box. When I bought my LG 55LHX last year from onecall, it had 3 of them on the box.
With a TV this large, you'd think they'd put them everywhere.

Sorry to hear about you new tv.

Does your tv tilt backwards on the factory base stand? Are you able to adjust this tilt?

Thanks.
post #1010 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear about you new tv.

Does your tv tilt backwards on the factory base stand? Are you able to adjust this tilt?

Thanks.

I've already disassembled it, so I don't know if it tilted or not.
It's definitely not adjustable. My plan was to wall mount it, but until I knew it worked, it wasn't going on the wall.
post #1011 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 01:15 PM

And also, just based on the manual, they don't want the 80" to tilt. It should be pretty freaking vertical. They tell you to mount it flush against the wall and not to tilt it in the manual. I wonder how many people didn't notice that.
Quote:

• Do not mount the TV at a tilt.
• Due to the terminal confi guration on this TV, when you wall-mount this model, make sure there is enough space
between the wall and the TV for the cables.
• To use this TV mounted on a wall, remove the cable tie as needed.
• Do not use screws that do not comply with the VESA standard screw specifi cations.
• Do not use screws that are longer than the standard length. Screws that are too long may cause damage to the inside
of the TV set.
• Do not fasten the screws too fi rmly or loosely. This may damage the product or cause the product to fall, leading to
personal injury. SHARP is not liable for these kinds of accidents.
• SHARP is not liable for product damage or personal injury when a non-VESA or non-specifi ed wall mount is used or
the consumer fails to follow the product installation instructions.

post #1012 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've already disassembled it, so I don't know if it tilted or not.
It's definitely not adjustable. My plan was to wall mount it, but until I knew it worked, it wasn't going on the wall.

Ok. No problem.

I hope your new one will have better luck. If you do set it back on the factory stand post back and let me know it it's tilting backwards

Thanks.
post #1013 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Ok. No problem.

I hope your new one will have better luck. If you do set it back on the factory stand post back and let me know it it's tilting backwards

Thanks.

Will do.
post #1014 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 03:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

And also, just based on the manual, they don't want the 80" to tilt. It should be pretty freaking vertical. They tell you to mount it flush against the wall and not to tilt it in the manual. I wonder how many people didn't notice that.

Quote:
Do not mount the TV at a tilt.
Due to the terminal confi guration on this TV, when you wall-mount this model, make sure there is enough space

I wunder if they ment that the stand should not be put on a tilted surface (for fear of falling over.) I have a wall mount that can tilt 10-15 deg. As it is high, I plan to tilt it down toward eye level. Has anyone else done so?
post #1015 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuseman View Post

I wunder if they ment that the stand should not be put on a tilted surface (for fear of falling over.) I have a wall mount that can tilt 10-15 deg. As it is high, I plan to tilt it down toward eye level. Has anyone else done so?

My 80-632U is about 23" from the floor (bottom edge) and I have it wall mounted with about a 5 degree angle downward. Not extreme but no problems at all.
post #1016 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:

My 80-632U is about 23" from the floor (bottom edge) and I have it wall mounted with about a 5 degree angle downward. Not extreme but no problems at all.

That's pretty low. I'd like to move mine down on the wall this time, but I don't think I could go that low.
My other issue is my center channel. It's not in the picture, but it's an RSC-200 (Dimensions: 25" x 12" x 10.5" (WxHxD)) so it's pretty large. It currently sits on top of my TV stand which is 24" tall so you end up with exactly 36" of the ground is as low as I can go, unless I move the center.
post #1017 of 3653 Old 05-12-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's pretty low. I'd like to move mine down on the wall this time, but I don't think I could go that low.
My other issue is my center channel. It's not in the picture, but it's an RSC-200 (Dimensions: 25" x 12" x 10.5" (WxHxD)) so it's pretty large. It currently sits on top of my TV stand which is 24" tall so you end up with exactly 36" of the ground is as low as I can go, unless I move the center.

mine is @ 32" IIRC & it's just fine, a slight downward tilt as well . I'd guess @ 3%

The Reason they don't want the panel at a tilt is that a large panel of glass gets weaker the more it gets off axis of vertical. When at perfect vertical the panel will not be stressed at all but the more angle the more stress put on the pane & the more fractures will develop when the panel Vibrates . Glass at a vertical is stress free but with a glass panel the larger the more prone to fault fractures due to stress from vibrations (This is WHY you must always transport a Display in the vertical position ) the stress is/has a cumulative effect ,with just so many cycles of vibration then failure .The more horizontal the more the stress & less cycles to the start of fault fractures.
My guess with some displays that have cracks & no outward damage to the box were transported in a horizontal position @ some point in the transit . that's why you will see some E-retailers strap a display to a pallet in a vertical position , & noted the bill to make sure that the panel never be removed from the pallet OR the shipment should be refused @ the destination . You as a buyer must make sure that you read the shipping waybill carefully when signing for a large display .

Mike

post #1018 of 3653 Old 05-13-2012, 02:49 AM

I was wondering for all of those who have got the beast and have had problems with damages such as cracked screens whether or not you bought your tv from Cleveland Plasma? Based on what i've noticed while reading throughout the forms now don't hold me to it, I think nobody that purchased through him got a bad set. I'm trying to make a connection towards him potentially utilizing a better shipping company. Another potential observation of mine is that it appears several people that have ordered through Paul's Tv have had damages to their sets upon arrival.
I'm thankful for any help given. My biggest reason for the question is to help determine where I want to buy from.
post #1019 of 3653 Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 AM

I'm also wondering, since the 632 seems to have fewer shipping problems, whether the packaging for the 844 is different from the 632!
post #1020 of 3653 Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaranAnthony View Post

I'm also wondering, since the 632 seems to have fewer shipping problems, whether the packaging for the 844 is different from the 632!

With the 632 in mind I know for a fact that the shipping company that US Appliance uses is the top rated carrier in the nation with lowest damage claims in the industry. IIRC there has not been a report of a damaged display from US Appliance .
they use "Home Direct Express" They used to owned by Bekins Moving but are now fully self owned .
US Appliance also sells the 844 & they do price match .

Mike

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv , Sharp Aquos Lc 80le844u 80 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc80le844u by PriceGrabber.com