Old 05-20-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax-jp View Post

How many 4k sets will actually come out in 2012? The LG 84" which will cost 10k seems the most likely and if it's the only one, then I doubt we'll see any 4k source material anytime soon. Toshiba apparently already has a 55" 4k TV out, but you can't buy it here in the US?

It's yet to be seen " IF " up-conversion to 4K from 1080P will really look like on a large display . I hold out to see that for myself but there are reports that it does improve detail when you are close to a 4K set over a 1080P set , Me I'll believe that when I see it ! I'm not to keen to buying in to marketing hype , but I will wait & give them the benefit of holding out hope that it might , BUT I wanna see it for myself in real life

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

The HQV & Marvel QDEO are Way better than the Reon Chipset . I have both the Reon in my TX-NR5008 Onkyo & the HQV ,QDEO dual processors in my TX-NR1009 is so much better .The 5008 is going up for sale due to the difference & I'll buy another new Onkyo that has that same chipsets to go into the bedroom to replace the Onkyo TX-NR807 in there now that has the Faroudja DCDi chipset
the Reon was better then the Faroufja , but the improvements made by HQV Vida1900 bests them both .
If you must watch SD on these large sets then you will be best off getting a good processor that will up-scale to a acceptable PQ .The dual chipsets (HQV & Marvel QDEO) also clean up a compressed signal so yes they can improve PQ on a bad source. I'm really happy now with my DirecTV PQ outta the TX-NR1009 .

Thankfully, I have Verizon FIOS and I never watch SD.

I will be in the market for a new receiver/pre-processor sometime soon. Lately, I've felt like my system really lacks punch, so I'll probably lean towards a dedicated power amp and a pre-processor. I really like the NAD Master series, but I hate the 10k price tag on them for the amp and the pre.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i use my 1009 as Pre-pro ==> Emotiva UPA-7 & UPA-2 amps
price is about right ..
10K I'd rather spend on a Display ..

Mike

Old 05-21-2012, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax-jp View Post

Thankfully, I have Verizon FIOS and I never watch SD.

I will be in the market for a new receiver/pre-processor sometime soon. Lately, I've felt like my system really lacks punch, so I'll probably lean towards a dedicated power amp and a pre-processor. I really like the NAD Master series, but I hate the 10k price tag on them for the amp and the pre.

The NAD Master series is quite nice indeed. I think your pricing off though. The combo (M15 HD 2 pre-pro and M25 amp) runs closer to $7500 (sometimes a bit less) not $10k.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbig View Post

The NAD Master series is quite nice indeed. I think your pricing off though. The combo (M15 HD 2 pre-pro and M25 amp) runs closer to $7500 (sometimes a bit less) not $10k.

Eh.. 4500 (m15 hd2) and 3500 (m25) MSRPs.. so yea, you're right. They can be had less than 10k, but not too much :b
I think my dad paid about 7k for his pair, but his were a demo set from a store in Chicago.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:04 AM

Liked: 10
*Jumps on the bandwagon* Well...Just pulled the trigger on the 844u...Shipping out from AbesofMaine....They have pretty good reviews, but as with all things in life, they got some crappy reviews as well...I like using billmelater for the 6 months free interest and cash back, so hence why I went with them...

I'm praying that the ground from New york to California, is a safe, non-bumpy drive. =) The shipping company is AIT Trucking..any1 ever heard or gone with this company?

Also, I am kinda bummed, because I thought this tv came with 2 pairs of 3d glasses? The sales rep I spoke with said it did not....Any of you guys get glasses with your tv's? I know sellers can add glasses for free, but I thought Sharp added glasses in the package? Well, I hope I am happy in the next coming week...Get the extension cord out in the garage and move the cars out for the upcoming *shudder* tv inspection for shipping damage....Later fellas
Old 05-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post

*Jumps on the bandwagon* Well...Just pulled the trigger on the 844u...Shipping out from AbesofMaine....They have pretty good reviews, but as with all things in life, they got some crappy reviews as well...I like using billmelater for the 6 months free interest and cash back, so hence why I went with them...

I'm praying that the ground from New york to California, is a safe, non-bumpy drive. =) The shipping company is AIT Trucking..any1 ever heard or gone with this company?

Also, I am kinda bummed, because I thought this tv came with 2 pairs of 3d glasses? The sales rep I spoke with said it did not....Any of you guys get glasses with your tv's? I know sellers can add glasses for free, but I thought Sharp added glasses in the package? Well, I hope I am happy in the next coming week...Get the extension cord out in the garage and move the cars out for the upcoming *shudder* tv inspection for shipping damage....Later fellas

Bought mine last week - got 2 pair of glasses included as part of a bundle by Best Buy..... got a great price too, but due to forum rules, not allowed to talk price issues!

Like the TV so far.. just a few issues that I'm working through. The biggest is the "jerkiness" of the movements. I've tried all the different settings (using Suzook's), and still motion is not smooth. Not sure if this is something I am going to have to live with, or if there is a way to fix it.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 PM

^^ so there were noglasses that came directly from sharp with the tv then? can u elaborate on the overall picture quality ans if you get that "pop"? are u blown away by the tv picture?
Old 05-21-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:

^^ so there were noglasses that came directly from sharp with the tv then? can u elaborate on the overall picture quality ans if you get that "pop"? are u blown away by the tv picture?

I'll admit, I'm not blown away by any means. Had a 2006 Sony SXRD - 70" which I thought had a much, much better picture. I also have a Samsung 60" LED which hasn't exhibited the motion issues that I've seen here.

Being a BB Silver Elite member, I have 40+ days to still evaluate. Problem is, I really like the 80". So, if I don't keep this (even though I'm not thrilled) what the heck are my other options????
Old 05-21-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags44 View Post

I'll admit, I'm not blown away by any means. Had a 2006 Sony SXRD - 70" which I thought had a much, much better picture. I also have a Samsung 60" LED which hasn't exhibited the motion issues that I've seen here.

Being a BB Silver Elite member, I have 40+ days to still evaluate. Problem is, I really like the 80". So, if I don't keep this (even though I'm not thrilled) what the heck are my other options????

Man...u are worrying me..hehe...Is it just the jerkiness that bothers u? I spent an hour in the magnolia show room watching avatar on the tv and playing with the settings and overall I thought the picture quality was great. The only feed they had was the bluray avatar movie, and I wish I could have seen some cable feed and compare to the other tv's.

I reall have high hopes for this tv...I was waiting for the sammy 75es8000 but I don't think it will be here until sept/october so I decided to try my hand with Sharp...i have been a samsung fan for awhile....Keep me updated and let me know if you can get any better pic quality with more tweaking...thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:

I was waiting for the sammy 75es8000

Don't hold your breath for any LCD from Samsung that's > 65".
Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM

Liked: 14
Well, after a few more days of fiddling with the 844's settings, I've come up with a picture that I'm quite satisfied with. At the risk of being banished from the AVS Forum, I have to say that my new settings appear close to the Sharp's 'dynamic' mode (yes, I'm sure my visual judgement is no better than that of a moth approaching a bright flame). The settings are not perfect, but they seem to do well in the very bright room where the TV is located. The 1080p/i content, to me, looks very good and, surprisingly, the 480i material is not looking too bad either. So, the TV's a keeper for me. I appreciate all the comments posted in response to my earlier inquiry.
I now have the monster attached to the wall using a Sanus XF228. Installation of the bracket and mounting of the TV was a breeze, although I am still dumbfounded that all this weight is supported by four 3.5 inch lag bolts. My primary viewing position is 15 to 20 feet from the TV. The screen size (and semi-matte finish which reduces reflections in the bright room) make viewing a pleasure.
I found the Sharp's internal speakers to be particularly inadequate, so I purchased a Yamaha YAS-101 sound bar and am very happy with the improved sound. I do have a Definitive Technology 5.1 system for movie viewing but I usually use a TV's speakers for the day to day stuff (e.g., news, etc). The Yamaha sound bar is a well-thought out device that works seamlessly with the Sharp.
I have to stick with my cable provider for the time being and unfortunately they still have a lot of SD content. While I know I'm asking to put lipstick on a pig, I am interested in any video processing equipment that does a good job squeezing out the best possible picture from an SD feed. My older (and smaller) XBR9 Sony did a really nice job. Anything i can do to further improve the SD on this much, much larger Sharp would be helpful.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Raym

for the benefit of the forum please post your final settings and some pictures. While dynamic is not the choice of many, ultimately if you are happy then thats all that matters
Old 05-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags44 View Post

Bought mine last week - got 2 pair of glasses included as part of a bundle by Best Buy..... got a great price too, but due to forum rules, not allowed to talk price issues!

Like the TV so far.. just a few issues that I'm working through. The biggest is the "jerkiness" of the movements. I've tried all the different settings (using Suzook's), and still motion is not smooth. Not sure if this is something I am going to have to live with, or if there is a way to fix it.

I do not have any jerkiness. I can easy tell the difference between the Comcast feed and blu-ray but no jerkiness. I am still working on the settings.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Of course nothing is free. It depends what you paid for the set. I got free delivery, 5 pairs of glasses and a 3d panny BR player. I am very impressed with the pq.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym1234 View Post

Well, after a few more days of fiddling with the 844's settings, I've come up with a picture that I'm quite satisfied with. At the risk of being banished from the AVS Forum, I have to say that my new settings appear close to the Sharp's 'dynamic' mode (yes, I'm sure my visual judgement is no better than that of a moth approaching a bright flame). The settings are not perfect, but they seem to do well in the very bright room where the TV is located. The 1080p/i content, to me, looks very good and, surprisingly, the 480i material is not looking too bad either. So, the TV's a keeper for me. I appreciate all the comments posted in response to my earlier inquiry.
I now have the monster attached to the wall using a Sanus XF228. Installation of the bracket and mounting of the TV was a breeze, although I am still dumbfounded that all this weight is supported by four 3.5 inch lag bolts. My primary viewing position is 15 to 20 feet from the TV. The screen size (and semi-matte finish which reduces reflections in the bright room) make viewing a pleasure.
I found the Sharp's internal speakers to be particularly inadequate, so I purchased a Yamaha YAS-101 sound bar and am very happy with the improved sound. I do have a Definitive Technology 5.1 system for movie viewing but I usually use a TV's speakers for the day to day stuff (e.g., news, etc). The Yamaha sound bar is a well-thought out device that works seamlessly with the Sharp.
I have to stick with my cable provider for the time being and unfortunately they still have a lot of SD content. While I know I'm asking to put lipstick on a pig, I am interested in any video processing equipment that does a good job squeezing out the best possible picture from an SD feed. My older (and smaller) XBR9 Sony did a really nice job. Anything i can do to further improve the SD on this much, much larger Sharp would be helpful.

look @ the New Onkyo's they have the New Dual Video HQV processor & Marvel QDEO up-scaler chipsets , Bang 4 Buck you can't beat them for processing power on the Video side . I have a TX-NR1009 & that unit is great on DirecTV PQ both up-scaling & cleaning up of a heavy compression signal. They do a good job with a SD signal . These processors come in the 809 & up of last years models & the 818 which will be released this month

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

Mike

Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:

look @ the New Onkyo's they have the New Dual Video HQV processor & Marvel QDEO up-scaler chipsets , Bang 4 Buck you can't beat them for processing power on the Video side . I have a TX-NR1009 & that unit is great on DirecTV PQ both up-scaling & cleaning up of a heavy compression signal. They do a good job with a SD signal . These processors come in the 809 & up of last years models & the 818 which will be released this month

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

The 818 is the newest model but has a cheaper price than the NR1009. I was surprised to see that. I would like to upgrade my current Onkyo HT-R520 (has been very good and reliable) for something more up to date. As far as PQ goes, are the 809 and 1009 the same?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

818 does not have the reon processor for video like the 1009. Most bypass the avr internal scaler by the 1009, 3009 and 5009 have a killer VP.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyhand View Post

The 818 is the newest model but has a cheaper price than the NR1009. I was surprised to see that. I would like to upgrade my current Onkyo HT-R520 (has been very good and reliable) for something more up to date. As far as PQ goes, are the 809 and 1009 the same?

YES . the 809 is 7 channels & the 1009 is 9 channels ,both have the dual chipsets I referred to , seeing how the 809 is soon to be replaced it might be cheaper , I got a 1009 for 1K on sale months ago

Mike

Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

818 does not have the reon processor for video like the 1009. Most bypass the avr internal scaler by the 1009, 3009 and 5009 have a killer VP.

Onkyo quit using the REON , the last was the 5008,3008, in other words the 008 line
they use a newer HQV & a Marvel
here's the HQV chipset they now use in the 009 line as well the 818

http://www.audioholics.com/education...ida-processing

Mike

Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Video features on a Onkyo TX-NR809
Quote:

Special Features

HDMI Support for 3D Video and Audio Return Channel
High-Quality HQV® Vida™ VHD1900 Video Processor
Marvell Qdeo™ Video Chip for 4K Upscaling and Processing
ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) Video Calibration for Optimal Video Performance

same as the 1009,3009,5009 Great Video processing in all these units

Mike

Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Onkyo quit using the REON , the last was the 5008,3008, in other words the 008 line
they use a newer HQV & a Marvel
here's the HQV chipset they now use in the 009 line as well the 818

http://www.audioholics.com/education...ida-processing

I was wrong again
Old 05-22-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:

The HQV & Marvel QDEO are Way better than the Reon Chipset . I have both the Reon in my TX-NR5008 Onkyo & the HQV ,QDEO dual processors in my TX-NR1009 is so much better .The 5008 is going up for sale due to the difference & I'll buy another new Onkyo that has that same chipsets to go into the bedroom to replace the Onkyo TX-NR807 in there now that has the Faroudja DCDi chipset
the Reon was better then the Faroufja , but the improvements made by HQV Vida1900 bests them both .
If you must watch SD on these large sets then you will be best off getting a good processor that will up-scale to a acceptable PQ .The dual chipsets (HQV & Marvel QDEO) also clean up a compressed signal so yes they can improve PQ on a bad source. I'm really happy now with my DirecTV PQ outta the TX-NR1009 .

Can you explain the benefit of using the TX-NR1009 instead of allowing the Sharp to do the upscaling? Also, what do you upscale to? 1080p? Is there anything you have to turn off on the Sharp? Much thanks!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleybj View Post

Can you explain the benefit of using the TX-NR1009 instead of allowing the Sharp to do the upscaling? Also, what do you upscale to? 1080p? Is there anything you have to turn off on the Sharp? Much thanks!

Heh..this thread is turning into an Onkyo (avr section)...well, i've had the Onkyo 875 with the reon chip and now I have the 809 because of the 1.4 hdmi feature....I can tell you that upscaling varies with equipment. Usually and I say this from my own perspective and trial an error....

U want to keep the scaling native to what is delivering the signal. For instance, with my setup...When I watch standard def tv via my fiber connection from Surewest, I find that the scaler built into the stb does a better job then the tv or the avr...but that's just with my set up...You can set the avr to just pass through the signal without upscaling the quality or you can set it to take whatever signal is coming through and scale it to 1080p via the avr's video chip....

anyway, hope that helps...I would really like to get back on topic with the 844u...Any1 that owns the tv have any more input or tweaks on the overall quality of the tv now that they have used it? My set along with the new Sharp 3d bluray player(bdams20u) should be here next Mnday or tues..I am very excited, albeit nervous, as I am hoping to get great enjoyment from this new purchase and jump to the "sharp" side after being on the "Sammy" side for years....
Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Just an FYI.. Spoke to a Sharp Rep and it looks like they will release a new firmware upgrade in a few weeks which will include flash capabilities for the built in web browser.

It is pretty useless without it but there are a few video sites I would like to bookmark if they ever make it functional.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

Just an FYI.. Spoke to a Sharp Rep and it looks like they will release a new firmware upgrade in a few weeks which will include flash capabilities for the built in web browser.

It is pretty useless without it but there are a few video sites I would like to bookmark if they ever make it functional.

GREAT!!! Tried doing it thru download from Adobe but obviously won't work - very glad they are adding this functionality.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw this set yesterday at a PC Richards's store and it is really impressive, the matte screen is very nice and the black levels looked really good during the demo. They also had both Elites on display there.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stebrock View Post

Tech came by today and ran a few test screens. He said that the TV wasn't processing the incoming signals correctly. He called Sharp and they decided to replace the "main board" and one other "board" that I can't remember. I'll keep every one informed.
Rick

Called the Aquos line last Friday due to still waiting on parts (ordered on 4/28). Sharp checked the staus and since the parts were still not in the system they told me today that they are sending a replacement 844U They said that the new TV wouldn't be available untill the 2nd week in June but I can wait.
Great Customer Service...
Old 05-22-2012, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebrock View Post

Called the Aquos line last Friday due to still waiting on parts (ordered on 4/28). Sharp checked the staus and since the parts were still not in the system they told me today that they are sending a replacement 844U They said that the new TV wouldn't be available untill the 2nd week in June but I can wait.
Great Customer Service...

Yeah the Sharp service is Great that is why I got the extended warranty anyone else would let you wait ...

Mike

Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

I saw this set yesterday at a PC Richards's store and it is really impressive, the matte screen is very nice and the black levels looked really good during the demo. They also had both Elites on display there.

I'm happy with mine. I think the blacks are fine even in a somewhat dark room. I suspect in a really dark I would see the difference with the local dimming of the Elites but the blacks really are fine. The matte screen helps in my room as well. 80 inches is just awesome. I'm not big 3D fan (not much content worth seeing) but it looks pretty impressive on a bigger screen.

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv , Sharp Aquos Lc 80le844u 80 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv