Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE844U Owners thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1711 of 3651 Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
SonyHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Wow. I just read the 844 review in Sound & Vision Magazine. I don't think I've read that bad a review in the 10+ years I've been reading that magazine. Scared me and I'm fearless.

Do you have the link to the article?
SonyHome is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1712 of 3651 Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Newbie
 
Tony-CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-CE View Post

I need to solve a serious problem
I have a serious lip sync issue. The video delays the audio, but it's not consistent. At times it's nearly in sync, then a few minutes later, it's grown to well over 1/2 second, then it gets better, then worse again. It oscillates like that, but take several minutes for a full "cycle". So, setting the audio delay in the Denon isn't helpful. Also, the max delay in the Denon is 200ms, which isn't enough at its worst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post

You might also read the denon 3310 thread down in the recievers, amps, and processors forum and see if anyone else has had the same problem (if you haven't already).

I've been doing this, but there's over 3700 posts, and I've had to resort to searches. So far, I haven't found anything helpful yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

First isolate the problem and take the receiver out of the equation.
Connect the HTPC directly to the TV and have the audio play through the TV.
If everything plays fine it is your receiver

I've done this, and the sync is good. I've also replaced the TV, and the sync is good with the replacment TV (see my original post). Maybe it's some sort of compatibility problem between the Denon and Sharp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

Your testing seems very thorough.
I'm surprised 6 and 7 had "perfect sync". I'm not sure how that would be possible, given the TV has video processing delays, and everyone has reported this.
Michael

Thank you. I'm convinced that the TV is delaying the audio to match its video processing. That explains this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandborn View Post

^^ To Tony-I have a Onkyo 809, and run everything (stb,bluray player,HD dvd) through my receiver and into the tv via the hdmi arc port....I get the lip sync problem as well. On the Onkyo, you can setup the hdmi main output to upscale, or set it to auto or just pass through...I have found that leaving it on passthrough helps with the lipsynch issue...I have found though that the lipsynch issue tends to be more when I watch tv though and I really don't have an issue with bluray or hddvd material

Thanks for the tip, but I've tried every combination (including no processing) with no sucess.
Tony-CE is offline  
post #1713 of 3651 Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Newbie
 
Tony-CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-CE View Post

I need to solve a serious problem
I have a serious lip sync issue. The video delays the audio, but it's not consistent. At times it's nearly in sync, then a few minutes later, it's grown to well over 1/2 second, then it gets better, then worse again. It oscillates like that, but take several minutes for a full "cycle". So, setting the audio delay in the Denon isn't helpful. Also, the max delay in the Denon is 200ms, which isn't enough at its worst.

Wow!
I called Sharp tonight, and the technician was less than helpful. I attempted to walk through the problem as I described it here. But, he cut me off after I said the sync was good when the PC is directly plugged into the TV. He said I have a receiver problem. From that point on, nothing I said would open his mind to other possibilties.

He said that the TV is never the problem. It's always a signal problem. Ok, maybe so... rolleyes.gif

I explained to him that I simply unplugged the HDMI cable from my Sharp (actively experiencing lip sync problems), and plugged it into another display. The lip sync issues disappeared on the second TV. He said that could be expected because the signal is different. What? So, I repeated myself. He said that HDMI signals are never repeatable, and that my receiver was still the problem. HUH?!

I asked him to explain this, and next he suggested that my problem was that I had too much digital (no kidding). He said that the PC connected to the receiver with HDMI, and the receiver connected to the TV with HDMI = too many digital connections. WTF?! eek.gif He suggested I replace some of the connections with component cables, seriously.

He continued on... stating that EVERYONE plugs all their components into their TV, and use optical or ARC to pass sound to the reciever. I reminded him that this configuration results in loss of HD Audio, and sometimes you only get PCM 2.0, and he still suggested that's what all the pros do! I've never been to a high-end audio store and seen this setup.

I told him I still didn't understand, and he suggested I call back tomorrow and talk to a product specialist. What?!! Who the hell have I been talking to? mad.gif I'll call back tomorrow, but I'll test another receiver too.

Oh, he said that I can pass bitstream HD audio through ARC to the receiver. I've never heard of this working, but I'll try it.
Tony-CE is offline  
post #1714 of 3651 Old 08-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Newbie
 
Tony-CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-CE View Post

I need to solve a serious problem
I have a serious lip sync issue. The video delays the audio, but it's not consistent. At times it's nearly in sync, then a few minutes later, it's grown to well over 1/2 second, then it gets better, then worse again. It oscillates like that, but take several minutes for a full "cycle". So, setting the audio delay in the Denon isn't helpful. Also, the max delay in the Denon is 200ms, which isn't enough at its worst.

Update 2:
I borrowed a Denon AVR-1913. It's a lower end model than I currently have, but it's a current year model with full HDMI 1.4a support. I reset it to factory defaults, updated the firmware, and configured it for my speakers.

It did not help with the lip sync problem in any way.frown.gif I tried all different video processing settings (including none / pass-through).

I decided to try the ARC setup to see if I can get HD Audio. I got the ARC to work, but I couldn't get any HD audio. In fact, the display never indicated anything other than direct. I don't know if it was 5.1 or 2.0 because I only had the front speakers plugged in. It would have displayed Dolby HD or DTS HD on the display if it was receiving it.

I can't believe loads of other people aren't having trouble. Maybe I have a bad TV after all?

Help! smile.gif
Tony-CE is offline  
post #1715 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 06:03 AM
Member
 
paymaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theEXTREMEone View Post

How did you get BEST BUY to match East Coast TV price? eek.gif
Are they in the same marketing area of where you live?
I'm in Southern California and the price here is $5400.
Did you get any kind of Extended Warranty?

I just brought in a printed out sheet from their cart and asked. They got the manager, he looked it up himself and said no problem. I did pay the sales tax though but I was okay with that. I prefered to buy local.
paymaster is offline  
post #1716 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

Do you have the link to the article?

No link. I just received the magazine yesterday. Here is some of the authors (Geoff Morrison)comments in his "Bottom Line". With it's poor off-axis picture, rampant noise and artifacts with anything less than pristine Blu-ray content, and always - on motion interpolation, the LC-80LE844U doesn't compare well with other flat-panels. Personally I'd say go projection".
andy sullivan is offline  
post #1717 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
johnfull's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 76
johnfull is offline  
post #1718 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753

mad.gif Another B S Laden C/NET phoney review that is based on previous bogus Sharp large screen reviews done by the ever incompetent C/NET biased review staff of the Sharp Jumbo LCD's , Sharp doesn't do the Payola for reviews with C/NET & such C/NET gives Sharp these bad reviews.
Sharp doesn't pay out advertising for reviews ( the corrupt audio/video review sites/magazines then give them bad reviews )
frown.gif
This Crap is highly evident in High End Audio gear , reviews in the audio review sites/mags as well ..
the same old pay up a load for ads or get a bad review ...

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #1719 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
johnfull's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Thanks for the insight into CNET's business model! The LCDs are certainly beginning to encroach on the large-format territory of projectors, for sure.
I can remember the sparkling color and brilliance of our old slide projectors in the 1960s. I wonder how much better an LCD would look with a
black-body radiator like those hot old projector bulbs. It would boil the liquid out of the crystals and warp the plastic panel, but it would be beautiful!
Seriously, though -- the quality of the backlight is crucial and the white LEDs of the moment leave a lot to be desired...
johnfull is offline  
post #1720 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
SonyHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

No link. I just received the magazine yesterday. Here is some of the authors (Geoff Morrison)comments in his "Bottom Line". With it's poor off-axis picture, rampant noise and artifacts with anything less than pristine Blu-ray content, and always - on motion interpolation, the LC-80LE844U doesn't compare well with other flat-panels. Personally I'd say go projection".

Thanks Andy. When I first got the set motion enhancement on the set really bothered me. But either subsequent firmware updates fixed it I've gotten used to it. I can set motion enhancement to 480 (I use 240) with film mode on advanced +7 and it looks good to me. I think input signal quality has big impact as well.

I have used and still have top of line Sony XBR led and RP sets (52xbr9, lx900xbr, R70xbr2) and also have very nice Sony front projector (vw80) in my dedicated home theater that has 134" screen. I like them all and I really do not see much PQ difference between them all. I think Sony sets do better job of motion enhancement and also do better job with SD signals.

844u sits in my basement family room where 70xbr2 used to and even my wife who don't say much about my electronic toys commented about how nice the PQ is. It's definitely not perfect but I don't feel it's any worse than other sets and it gives you good size and great 3d experience for reasonable price. I definitely think this set is great value.
SonyHome is offline  
post #1721 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Michael2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27

I guess I'll go against the grain here. I actually think the author has a point. However, it is a bit disingenuous. It is like saying, don't get an overpriced car, get a motorcycle. Yes, they both get you to the destination, and the motorcycle may even get your ther faster, but there are some big compromises.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline  
post #1722 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
SonyHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm watching Panic on Showtime 2 HD and wanted trying motion enhancement and filmmode off and to me I was noticing jerkiness and movie just looked much worse.
SonyHome is offline  
post #1723 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
andy sullivan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: sun city west AZ
Posts: 3,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

Thanks Andy. When I first got the set motion enhancement on the set really bothered me. But either subsequent firmware updates fixed it I've gotten used to it. I can set motion enhancement to 480 (I use 240) with film mode on advanced +7 and it looks good to me. I think input signal quality has big impact as well.
I have used and still have top of line Sony XBR led and RP sets (52xbr9, lx900xbr, R70xbr2) and also have very nice Sony front projector (vw80) in my dedicated home theater that has 134" screen. I like them all and I really do not see much PQ difference between them all. I think Sony sets do better job of motion enhancement and also do better job with SD signals.
844u sits in my basement family room where 70xbr2 used to and even my wife who don't say much about my electronic toys commented about how nice the PQ is. It's definitely not perfect but I don't feel it's any worse than other sets and it gives you good size and great 3d experience for reasonable price. I definitely think this set is great value.

A couple of observations made by Mr. Morrison that gave me great pause for concern. "The Sharp looked best when watching Blu-ray. The image was clean and punchy. When displaying non Blu-ray content, the TV performed notably worse. Images from AT&T U-verse displayed rampant blocking noise and gradation artifacts- so much so that the picture was nearly unwatchable". Also, "Performance takes a serious dive when sitting even slightly off-axis. or when viewing any source other than Blu-ray". Also, " I also noticed a bizarre artifact that was visible with all content. Dots were visible around certain objects (most often, edge transitions from bright to dark colors), almost like a composite-video dot-crawl artifact". This is really just a few of his observations. He actually ripped the 844 pretty bad. Now you can blast CNET all you want but Geoff Morrison has been around awhile and I have found most of his reviews to be pretty much spot on. That's not to say that he may have gotten a poor 844 example but it is what it is.
andy sullivan is offline  
post #1724 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
SonyHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

I guess I'll go against the grain here. I actually think the author has a point. However, it is a bit disingenuous. It is like saying, don't get an overpriced car, get a motorcycle. Yes, they both get you to the destination, and the motorcycle may even get your ther faster, but there are some big compromises.
Michael

I have both and for general viewing I prefer the 844u. Front projector is awesome but you definitely need dedicated theater room. I mainly use the theater room when I want to watch movies with my kids but just general viewing and personal movie viewing I do it on 844u.

You also have to remember for most people who start theater room projector is just the beginning of the expense. People who have dedicated theater rooms want top notch audio systems and speakers they also spend alot on sound insulation and sound treatment so expense is not just the projector.
SonyHome is offline  
post #1725 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
SonyHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

A couple of observations made by Mr. Morrison that gave me great pause for concern. "The Sharp looked best when watching Blu-ray. The image was clean and punchy. When displaying non Blu-ray content, the TV performed notably worse. Images from AT&T U-verse displayed rampant blocking noise and gradation artifacts- so much so that the picture was nearly unwatchable". Also, "Performance takes a serious dive when sitting even slightly off-axis. or when viewing any source other than Blu-ray". Also, " I also noticed a bizarre artifact that was visible with all content. Dots were visible around certain objects (most often, edge transitions from bright to dark colors), almost like a composite-video dot-crawl artifact". This is really just a few of his observations. He actually ripped the 844 pretty bad. Now you can blast CNET all you want but Geoff Morrison has been around awhile and I have found most of his reviews to be pretty much spot on. That's not to say that he may have gotten a poor 844 example but it is what it is.

Andy not sure if own or saw this TV in person but I do own this and I mainly use this for DTV viewing. HD channels look very good and some channels look near blu-ray. Even most SD are watchable but not as good as smaller screen. I would say these statements are his personal situation with his input signal quality more so than TV.

I have 3 spot couch in my family room to watch 844u as well as the shiatsu massage chair to the right and while sitting in the middle definitle is best but I can still use the 2 end seats and the massage chair without too much degradation in PQ. You notice it more when you go another 4' or 5' from the end seats.

I have no interest in ripping cnet or the reviewer other than to say my personal experience with the set is much better than what he makes it to be.
SonyHome is offline  
post #1726 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
SonyHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-CE View Post

Wow!
I called Sharp tonight, and the technician was less than helpful. I attempted to walk through the problem as I described it here. But, he cut me off after I said the sync was good when the PC is directly plugged into the TV. He said I have a receiver problem. From that point on, nothing I said would open his mind to other possibilties.
He said that the TV is never the problem. It's always a signal problem. Ok, maybe so... rolleyes.gif
I explained to him that I simply unplugged the HDMI cable from my Sharp (actively experiencing lip sync problems), and plugged it into another display. The lip sync issues disappeared on the second TV. He said that could be expected because the signal is different. What? So, I repeated myself. He said that HDMI signals are never repeatable, and that my receiver was still the problem. HUH?!
I asked him to explain this, and next he suggested that my problem was that I had too much digital (no kidding). He said that the PC connected to the receiver with HDMI, and the receiver connected to the TV with HDMI = too many digital connections. WTF?! eek.gif He suggested I replace some of the connections with component cables, seriously.
He continued on... stating that EVERYONE plugs all their components into their TV, and use optical or ARC to pass sound to the reciever. I reminded him that this configuration results in loss of HD Audio, and sometimes you only get PCM 2.0, and he still suggested that's what all the pros do! I've never been to a high-end audio store and seen this setup.
I told him I still didn't understand, and he suggested I call back tomorrow and talk to a product specialist. What?!! Who the hell have I been talking to? mad.gif I'll call back tomorrow, but I'll test another receiver too.
Oh, he said that I can pass bitstream HD audio through ARC to the receiver. I've never heard of this working, but I'll try it.

Try setting

Under System Options >> Terminal Settings >> Audio Setup to PCM to see if it make any difference.
SonyHome is offline  
post #1727 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

Andy not sure if own or saw this TV in person but I do own this and I mainly use this for DTV viewing. HD channels look very good and some channels look near blu-ray. Even most SD are watchable but not as good as smaller screen. I would say these statements are his personal situation with his input signal quality more so than TV.
I have 3 spot couch in my family room to watch 844u as well as the shiatsu massage chair to the right and while sitting in the middle definitle is best but I can still use the 2 end seats and the massage chair without too much degradation in PQ. You notice it more when you go another 4' or 5' from the end seats.
I have no interest in ripping cnet or the reviewer other than to say my personal experience with the set is much better than what he makes it to be.
My point exactly ,
Yeah the set-up to get optimal PQ across all platforms is not easy ,but once there the PQ is stellar . Most issues with this display & a 632 are source related . Yes your old display had no problems with your sources BUT these displays are finicky & must take some trail & error to work out .
I rip C/NET because of one reviewer will take in account what a past C/NET reviewer has said as fact .
They (C/NET) give Glowing reviews of certain Brand Names all the time & those same displays, if one goes to the AVS threads the owners have all sorts of issues that were Glowed on by C/Net .. rolleyes.gif

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
post #1728 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Newbie
 
Tony-CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

Try setting
Under System Options >> Terminal Settings >> Audio Setup to PCM to see if it make any difference.

I've tried both settings here, made no difference.
Tony-CE is offline  
post #1729 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
SonyHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-CE View Post

I've tried both settings here, made no difference.

Sorry. Don't have any other suggestions but I hope you get it sorted out.
SonyHome is offline  
post #1730 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
SonyHome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

My point exactly ,
Yeah the set-up to get optimal PQ across all platforms is not easy ,but once there the PQ is stellar . Most issues with this display & a 632 are source related . Yes your old display had no problems with your sources BUT these displays are finicky & must take some trail & error to work out .
I rip C/NET because of one reviewer will take in account what a past C/NET reviewer has said as fact .
They (C/NET) give Glowing reviews of certain Brand Names all the time & those same displays, if one goes to the AVS threads the owners have all sorts of issues that were Glowed on by C/Net .. rolleyes.gif

TV like a lot of things in life is personal preference thing. Some people like some picture settings and enhancements while others turn everything off.

When I was looking for a replacement for my r70xbr2 I walked through Best Buy Magnolia to checkout current sets and I saw that Samsung and Sony TVs looked good but Sharp (632u) looked awful even though they were using same feed and I thought to myself that's big but PQ sucks. After reading this forum I decided to buy the 844u sight unseen and all I can say is PQ in my home is way better than what I saw in BB. Many of the owners feedbacks were correct. This TV isn't perfect and may not be for everyone but for me it worked out perfect. Even my entertainment center that used to hold my r70xbr2 fit perfectly with 844u.
SonyHome is offline  
post #1731 of 3651 Old 08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
samendolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Malbar, FL
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-CE View Post

Update 2:
I borrowed a Denon AVR-1913. It's a lower end model than I currently have, but it's a current year model with full HDMI 1.4a support. I reset it to factory defaults, updated the firmware, and configured it for my speakers.
It did not help with the lip sync problem in any way.frown.gif I tried all different video processing settings (including none / pass-through).
I decided to try the ARC setup to see if I can get HD Audio. I got the ARC to work, but I couldn't get any HD audio. In fact, the display never indicated anything other than direct. I don't know if it was 5.1 or 2.0 because I only had the front speakers plugged in. It would have displayed Dolby HD or DTS HD on the display if it was receiving it.
I can't believe loads of other people aren't having trouble. Maybe I have a bad TV after all?
Help! smile.gif

If it worked correctly while directly connected to the TV then I agree with the Sharp support that it is not a TV Problem . There is a problem between the Denon and the TV but my feelings are that the Denon receiver is not liking somethig and causing the delay since the TV can only display what it is given . I would suggest that you put in a ticket with Denon especially since several Denon receivers have reported sync issues . My Onkyo and Sony receivers have no issues at all.

Did that BD player have a HDMI input/passthrough ? You can try to put the Receiver through another device and then into the TV and see if it has any effect
samendolaro is offline  
post #1732 of 3651 Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Member
 
ambasnakeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
to share. had an issue with hdmi cable today. non HD channels were fine....but on HD channels, kept getting boxes of blue/violet. think this is the new age of distortion compared to the older CRTs.

swapped hdmi and its fine.

the previous hdmi cable, was used for 2 yrs, and got it for 2USD on ebay.
ambasnakeman is offline  
post #1733 of 3651 Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Flavius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

A couple of observations made by Mr. Morrison that gave me great pause for concern. "The Sharp looked best when watching Blu-ray. The image was clean and punchy. When displaying non Blu-ray content, the TV performed notably worse. Images from AT&T U-verse displayed rampant blocking noise and gradation artifacts- so much so that the picture was nearly unwatchable". Also, "Performance takes a serious dive when sitting even slightly off-axis. or when viewing any source other than Blu-ray". Also, " I also noticed a bizarre artifact that was visible with all content. Dots were visible around certain objects (most often, edge transitions from bright to dark colors), almost like a composite-video dot-crawl artifact". This is really just a few of his observations. He actually ripped the 844 pretty bad. Now you can blast CNET all you want but Geoff Morrison has been around awhile and I have found most of his reviews to be pretty much spot on. That's not to say that he may have gotten a poor 844 example but it is what it is.

I saw the dots too at BestBuy. How does CNET get to publish the same Morrison review that appears in the September issue of Sound & Vision?
Flavius is offline  
post #1734 of 3651 Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
billdag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

A couple of observations made by Mr. Morrison that gave me great pause for concern. "The Sharp looked best when watching Blu-ray. The image was clean and punchy. When displaying non Blu-ray content, the TV performed notably worse. Images from AT&T U-verse displayed rampant blocking noise and gradation artifacts- so much so that the picture was nearly unwatchable". Also, "Performance takes a serious dive when sitting even slightly off-axis. or when viewing any source other than Blu-ray". Also, " I also noticed a bizarre artifact that was visible with all content. Dots were visible around certain objects (most often, edge transitions from bright to dark colors), almost like a composite-video dot-crawl artifact". This is really just a few of his observations. He actually ripped the 844 pretty bad. Now you can blast CNET all you want but Geoff Morrison has been around awhile and I have found most of his reviews to be pretty much spot on. That's not to say that he may have gotten a poor 844 example but it is what it is.

The dots around adjacent bright/dark scenes is caused by Sharp's proprietary split pixel design. I've been aware of it since I bought the first 52" Sharp when it came out 4 or 5 yrs ago ($3700.00!) I commented on this a long time ago in AVS and attached a couple of pictures demonstrating the effect. Each pixel is split in two vertically - upper and lower. When there is a transition and brightness reduces, Sharps alternate upper, lower, upper, lower, etc. pixels all along the transition scene (as well as many other areas where brightness is less than maximum. Not sure why Sharp chooses this method to partially control brightness but it works okay so long as you are a reasonable distance away. But, it does decrease horizontal resolution along the transition line in half.
Sharp's motion handling is at best, mediocre as well. I don't say this with any animosity or dislike for Sharp. I have the 80-632U and love it, but it does have some real limitations. Film mode can cause a really weird motley haze and distortion around objects in motion.
The 120Hz, although it does make for sharper moving edges, can introduce double images in some sports programs like Golf ( a phantom ball after the real one......)

Still, it's the best set I've owned and the shortcomings are far outweighed by it's positive qualities. I have almost all the advanced settings turned OFF so the vast majority of the time I'm just really enjoying the set.
As far as the off-angle decrease in color and contrast - that is a valid concern. I find that if you are about 10 - 12 feet back, up to 4 people can sit and view a very good picture with no obvious shortcomings most of the time.

Lastly, I want to say that I never judge a set by how it displays Cable programming. Every set I've owned would be trashed if judged solely by HD cable. It can sometimes be excellent, almost blu-ray quality, but other times it is just awful. The NBC Olympics in particular, was non-stop mosquito noise and massive macro-blocking. Worst I've ever seen. Might be caused by double codec processing/conversion due to English 25 fps/PAL ???
billdag is offline  
post #1735 of 3651 Old 08-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Michael2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

When there is a transition and brightness reduces, Sharps alternate upper, lower, upper, lower, etc. pixels all along the transition scene (as well as many other areas where brightness is less than maximum. Not sure why Sharp chooses this method to partially control brightness but it works okay so long as you are a reasonable distance away. But, it does decrease horizontal resolution along the transition line in half.

This may be related to Sharp Quattron. Most displays use verticle stripes of red, green, and blue subpixels. Sharp's subpixels are oriented in rectangles. It's not the best for sharpness, especially with transitions of bright/dark (computer input really shows this).
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdag View Post

Lastly, I want to say that I never judge a set by how it displays Cable programming. Every set I've owned would be trashed if judged solely by HD cable. It can sometimes be excellent, almost blu-ray quality, but other times it is just awful. The NBC Olympics in particular, was non-stop mosquito noise and massive macro-blocking. Worst I've ever seen. Might be caused by double codec processing/conversion due to English 25 fps/PAL ???

Are you getting this OTA, cable or satellite? I hate to say this, but I tested the Olympics over many hours with OTA and Dish Network signal sources through a pretty high quality computer monitor which would introduce virtually no processing, and have not seen any misquito noise or macro blocking problems. It's was really clean.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline  
post #1736 of 3651 Old 08-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 4,409
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Olympics were terrific on Comcast also. I've never seen them look better.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is offline  
post #1737 of 3651 Old 08-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
edgeh2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fresno, Ca
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Olympics looked awful here in HD with ATT Uverse. Major pixelation and smearing. My mom's Comcast was pretty bad also. I would get DISH or DirecTV in a SECOND but my balcony faces West and we aren't allowed to have stuff installed on the walls or roof of our complex.

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
edgeh2o is offline  
post #1738 of 3651 Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
billdag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post

This may be related to Sharp Quattron. Most displays use verticle stripes of red, green, and blue subpixels. Sharp's subpixels are oriented in rectangles. It's not the best for sharpness, especially with transitions of bright/dark (computer input really shows this).
Are you getting this OTA, cable or satellite? I hate to say this, but I tested the Olympics over many hours with OTA and Dish Network signal sources through a pretty high quality computer monitor which would introduce virtually no processing, and have not seen any misquito noise or macro blocking problems. It's was really clean.
Michael

Over Shaw cable. Mpeg2. Can't wait till they transition to Mpeg4. Any time there is lots of action or rapid scene changes, the Mpeg2 really shows it's age and artifacts abound. This, despite running at up to 18mb/sec.
billdag is offline  
post #1739 of 3651 Old 08-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Michael2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

Olympics looked awful here in HD with ATT Uverse. Major pixelation and smearing. My mom's Comcast was pretty bad also. I would get DISH or DirecTV in a SECOND but my balcony faces West and we aren't allowed to have stuff installed on the walls or roof of our complex.

After my dish fell down when it pulled out of the chimney due to a bad installation by the installer, I tried something different. I have a West facing balconey where I mounted my dish pointing South on a steel fence pipe (from Home Depot) going into a 45 pound patio table unbrella cast iron base (from Lowes). No drillling or mounting required. It works fine except in near hurricane winds, where it can get knocked out of alignment. It only takes a 30 seconds to move the base back into alignment though, and I only have to attend to it a couple times a year. You could also throw some barbell weights over the center post for even more stability. It might be worth a try.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline  
post #1740 of 3651 Old 08-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Member
 
mavericks64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the slow reply. All my colors are clipped. On the test disc it shows red, blue, green and white to be clipped. My gamma is set to -2 after Geek Squad calibration.

Sharp LC80LE844U 80-inch 3D LED TV
Onkyo TXNR3009 Home Cinema Receiver
9.1 channels
Paradigm Reference Studio/100 v.2 front speakers
Paradigm CC-350 center-channel
Paradigm ADP-350 surrounds
Paradigm Monitor 9 back speakers
Paradigm Mini Monitor Heights
FV15HP Rythmik subwoofer
mavericks64 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv , Sharp Aquos Lc 80le844u 80 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc80le844u by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off