Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE844U Owners thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sjchmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Agreed. But if you want a panel to keep forever (in tech terms) local dimming is so damn impressive.

I wish I could see a well calibrated 735 or new 844 maybe the local dimming would not be so obvious
sjchmura is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

Agreed. But if you want a panel to keep forever (in tech terms) local dimming is so damn impressive.

I wish I could see a well calibrated 735 or new 844 maybe the local dimming would not be so obvious

Trust me...it would be
Suzook is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 03:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,593
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Spent a little time looking at the new 844 at Fry's and two salesmen were making cracks about it while several other customers probably overheard their snarky remarks (way to sell). Anyway it looked pretty decent for out of the box factory presets since Fry's seldom calibrates any of their displays. In the few minutes I looked at it I never could get a sense of clouding but there was no dark material playing during that time and their lighting is not exactly ideal. IMHO it looked better out of the box than the 80" 632 but then I viewed a 60" 640 that also looked better out of the box than the 60" 632 so maybe Sharp is paying more attention to the factory presets this year (we can only hope). When I go back to Fry's this weekend I'll try to check out the 3D.

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sjchmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Spent a little time looking at the new 844 at Fry's and two salesmen were making cracks about it while several other customers probably overheard their snarky remarks (way to sell).

Jason

What were they making fun of? The price or size?
sjchmura is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,593
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

What were they making fun of? The price or size?

I honestly don't want to post it here for fear I'll be called out as if I said it, learned my lesson in the other 80" thread (no more of that nonsense for me). What I will say is it was not good and they evidently had an in depth demo of the display by a Sharp rep. It's certainly possible they were just doing it thinking it would be funny somehow if people overheard them discussing it and basically calling it a giant pos. I thought to myself the only GIANT POS in the store is that 92" Mitsu RPtv. Then again they just may not be Sharp fans due to selling incentives from other companies or what they have at home (IDK). I really did not see the point in what they were doing and considered reporting them to management but having dealt with Fry's management previously I knew I would only be wasting my time.

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post


I honestly don't want to post it here for fear I'll be called out as if I said it, learned my lesson in the other 80" thread (no more of that nonsense for me). What I will say is it was not good and they evidently had an in depth demo of the display by a Sharp rep. It's certainly possible they were just doing it thinking it would be funny somehow if people overheard them discussing it and basically calling it a giant pos. I thought to myself the only GIANT POS in the store is that 92" Mitsu RPtv. Then again they just may not be Sharp fans due to selling incentives from other companies or what they have at home (IDK). I really did not see the point in what they were doing and considered reporting them to management but having dealt with Fry's management previously I knew I would only be wasting my time.

Jason

Well the good thing is most everyone in these threads is smart enough to realize that the sales people at frys are about the same quality as best buy which is to say on the low side. And that they are totally capable of ignoring what others may say and using their own judgement when considering a purchase of this set.

I guess the sales guys at frys dont work on commission or care about selling if they are laughing at you as you watch one of the best televisions out there today
Suzook is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Newbie
 
Fitpitcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I did it. Just pulled the trigger on the lc-80le844u. I just ordered it from Cleveland Plasma. $5200 delivered. Hoping it comes tomorrow but not sure of delivery date yet. I'll update this thread once it's hooked up, calibrated, etc.
Fitpitcher is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitpitcher View Post

Well I did it. Just pulled the trigger on the lc-80le844u. I just ordered it from Cleveland Plasma. $5200 delivered. Hoping it comes tomorrow but not sure of delivery date yet. I'll update this thread once it's hooked up, calibrated, etc.

I thought he lowered the price to $4900 plus a 100 for shipping?

Congrats you lucky dog!!!

ah wait a little birdy reminded me about tax.

Still a great deal and YOU LUCKY DOG
Suzook is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,408
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Well the good thing is most everyone in these threads is smart enough to realize that the sales people at frys are about the same quality as best buy which is to say on the low side. And that they are totally capable of ignoring what others may say and using their own judgement when considering a purchase of this set.

I guess the sales guys at frys dont work on commission or care about selling if they are laughing at you as you watch one of the best televisions out there today

I can't speak for any other regions, but the Fry's people in Northern California are dreadful even compared to the Best Buy guys. Dreadful.

Of course, there are gems there, but far too few.

This, despite the fact that Fry's does pay some commissions while Best Buy pays none (although does Magnolia pay something in commission?!?).

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Rogo, you are on the money. Did you see that Best Buy is closing 50 stores? Another sign of why people are flocking away from BM.

As I said, fortunately most enough have the common sense to not let sales people or others "influence" where their money spent. We all have our favorites but in the end your set of eyes tell you what you do and dont like.
Suzook is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
samendolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Malbar, FL
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Actually once Circuit City bit the bullet BB got all high an mighty with their prices since in may instances there was no local competition for higher end televisions. Their extended warranties were also insanely expensive.

They are realizing now that they drove many people to the internet and big box stores. Best buy is a nice place to scope out you next purchase but I would never buy there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Rogo, you are on the money. Did you see that Best Buy is closing 50 stores? Another sign of why people are flocking away from BM.

As I said, fortunately most enough have the common sense to not let sales people or others "influence" where their money spent. We all have our favorites but in the end your set of eyes tell you what you do and dont like.

samendolaro is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
samendolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Malbar, FL
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Wow... I am ready to pull the trigger at that price but I really wanted to see a review before I shipped it to my home . The good thing about buying now is that you know your not getting a previously returned unit . I've gone though that mess before. damn damn damn.

The other question is if these prices are due to temporary incentives from sharp or if they will only go down from here. I may wait till September and try to cash in on some pre-season deals
samendolaro is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Member
 
Joseph3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Purchased via amazon
expected delivery apr 4-9

I am putting this tv in a 14ft x 13ft room with an 8ft cieling. Room has a large sectional couch so the viewing distances are from 12ft - 6Fft, sitting on the couch my eyes are just over 3ft from the floor. How high from the floor will I mount the tv? If its to big Ill just move it downstairs, and purchase something else. Was hoping to put a projector down there next year though.

Does anyone have any recommendations on calibration? Who is the best calibrator here in Ohio?
Joseph3 is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 PM
Member
 
crownman6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chappaqua, NY
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered tonight through CP. Good deal. Can't wait. Hoping to be up and running for Masters in 3D (on ESPN)!!
crownman6 is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 PM
Senior Member
 
stebrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hartsville, SC
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[quote=Joseph3;21845762]Purchased via amazon
expected delivery apr 4-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownman6 View Post

Ordered tonight through CP. Good deal. Can't wait. Hoping to be up and running for Masters in 3D (on ESPN)!!

That's 3 of us so far (2 via CP)
stebrock is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Member
 
crownman6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chappaqua, NY
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And the one who didn't is from Ohio..and he could have gotten it calibrated right there!
crownman6 is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,411
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Fastslappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La CasaSlappy @ SlappyVille,SF NorthBay,CALI
Posts: 6,775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

http://hdtvbychadb.com/

+1
Chad is highly regarded here @ AVS , I wish he'd come to California

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Fastslappy is offline  
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Member
 
Joseph3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownman6 View Post

And the one who didn't is from Ohio..and he could have gotten it calibrated right there!

With amazon the TV and a wall mount shipped was less than the price from CP for the TV pretaxship charges. Ill use the money I saved to pay Chad for a Calibration.
Joseph3 is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Stop making curved screens
Posts: 30,408
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Rogo, you are on the money. Did you see that Best Buy is closing 50 stores? Another sign of why people are flocking away from BM.

As I said, fortunately most enough have the common sense to not let sales people or others "influence" where their money spent. We all have our favorites but in the end your set of eyes tell you what you do and dont like.

I saw the Best Buy news. I don't think they are going to have an easy time of transforming themselves, especially without a strong, national competitor.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
rogo is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
samendolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Malbar, FL
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
the SQ trade warranty is pretty cheap for that TV but the thing I don't like about SQ trade is the fact that they will only repair the TV up to the price you paid for it. Its almost like having a secured visa. if they can't fix it they will give you back whatever is left on the balance. The 5 yr through onecall is a couple hundred more but at least you will get 5 years of full protection. I couldn't imagine spending $4500 and not dropping a few hundred more for piece of mind.

What did you guys end up doing ?
samendolaro is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
go with the Sharp warranty. Three years for just over $200

really the best option
Suzook is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 07:38 AM
Member
 
planetweckesser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

go with the Sharp warranty. Three years for just over $200

really the best option

I didn't realize it was that reasonable - 3 yrs for $ 219 + tax with full replacement at any time during that period if Sharp is unable to fix it.
planetweckesser is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
samendolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Malbar, FL
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetweckesser View Post

I didn't realize it was that reasonable - 3 yrs for $ 219 + tax with full replacement at any time during that period if Sharp is unable to fix it.

Where did you see that price ? I have a sharp direct account and get a discount. They don't have the 844 up there yet but they do show the 632 and they have the 3 year extended as $474.99 discounted to $403.74

The Onecall warranty is 525 for 5 years and you get half that back if it is not used . The sharp is a better bang for the buck if you can get it for that price
samendolaro is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
https://Sharp.yourserviceplan.com/pr...ayer/home.aspx

Sharp extended warranty

you have to enter the model number at LC80LE632U

I suspect the 844 will be up soon.

Register your set and you will likely get an offer to extend or you can check back on the site
you always choose the member promo since you have registered

Suzook is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
samendolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Malbar, FL
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

https://Sharp.yourserviceplan.com/pr...ayer/home.aspx

Sharp extended warranty


Interesting ..

They do not have the 844 there but the LC80LE632U does have that $219 but it is listed as a new member promo.

Hopefully they are going to do the same with the 844 . I guess you need to call them to find out.

I would much rather have 5 years even if I had to pay more. Do you know if sharp offers extensions after the 3 years.

It looks like from that screenshot that I could add an extra 2 for 139 unless I am reading that wrong


Right now it is either 3 years at 73 per year from sharp or 5 years at 105 per year from from onecall
samendolaro is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Member
 
planetweckesser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

Interesting ..

They do not have the 844 there but the LC80LE632U does have that $219 but it is listed as a new member promo.

Hopefully they are going to do the same with the 844 . I guess you need to call them to find out.

I would much rather have 5 years even if I had to pay more. Do you know if sharp offers extensions after the 3 years.

It looks like from that screenshot that I could add an extra 2 for 139 unless I am reading that wrong


Right now it is either 3 years at 73 per year from sharp or 5 years at 105 per year from from onecall

I called the 219 applies to the 844 as well (for purchase price up to 5K) don't know about the other additional warranties
planetweckesser is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
samendolaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Malbar, FL
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE (Continued)
damage or failure caused by riot, nuclear radiation, war or hostile action, radioactive
contamination, etc.; battery failure or leakage; collision with another object, collapse, explosion,


Ahh... apparently the insurance companies are getting ready for December 21'st 2012


Comparing the Warranty's of sharp and others the terms are identical.

Within the first year (manufacturers warranty) sharp takes care of unlimited issues after that they will cover only up to the amount of the original purchase price So if you have 2k worth of repairs and it becomes unrepairable they would give you 2700 and your contract ends. Or you get one replacement and your contract ends.

I would suggest that if anyone is getting a warranty (not from sharp) only go through sharp directly for the first year otherwise the coverage company will use those repairs against your repair/replacement limit .
samendolaro is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Suzook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I would do the three years from sharp at 219. The warranty process is painless and they will swap with the latest model if they cannot repair.
Suzook is offline  
Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sjchmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I would do the three years from sharp at 219. The warranty process is painless and they will swap with the latest model if they cannot repair.

If they can stay in buisness
sjchmura is offline  
 

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv , Sharp Aquos Lc 80le844u 80 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc80le844u by PriceGrabber.com
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off