Official Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE844U Owners thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have a feeling with the quattron implementation on this set that my previous setting may not transfer so well......

I would choose expanded gamut
Leave 10 point off
quad pixel is your preference

with your phone pics its hard to really get a sense of the desktop.

How about shooting some blu ray stills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Attachment 242466

These are the choices available. I've initially picked 240 hz.I had to leave 10 point off to get to the RGB adjustments under color temp. Color gamut is selected to expanded.
I wanted to give a shoutout to Chris at CP. When he realized I was willing to pay now and not wait for the prices to drop he actually spent a little extra on his part and went with a different distributor to get me the set as soon as possible.
Rick
LL
post #243 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I am really interested in the 3d. Do you have glasses to try it out

make sure you put it in movie mode when doing your adjustments
post #244 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
While the gamut can go either way, it has been mentioned with other quad pixel Sharp sets that expanded gamut will not calibrate accurately (but as I said YMMV).

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #245 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

yeah with this new beast it might be time for an official ISF.
post #246 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I have a feeling with the quattron implementation on this set that my previous setting may not transfer so well......

I would choose expanded gamut
Leave 10 point off
quad pixel is your preference

with your phone pics its hard to really get a sense of the desktop.

How about shooting some blu ray stills.

What does "expand the gamut" mean? Do you mean use 0-255 colorspace?
post #247 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

What does "expand the gamut" mean? Do you mean use 0-255 colorspace?

Sorry I goofed on that one and was thinking of the PS3. Might need someone to chime in on the proper setting for gamut
post #248 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

WHich video card do you have? Do you plan on gaming at all with it? Can you list your setup (receiver etc, ARC on/off, HDMI-CEC working/not) etc!!!

Exciting.

Also how tall is the set on the stand? Or, more importantly, how many inches from stand bottom to center? I am trying to figure out optimal height if I go with stand or wall mount.
post #249 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:

I am really interested in the 3d. Do you have glasses to try it out

make sure you put it in movie mode when doing your adjustments

I had some glasses from my Mitsubishi's but even though they're made by Expand they're not compatible with the Sharp. I'm in the process of ordering the Expand universal glasses which are Sharp compatible from AV Science. I will give some 3D feedback when I get the glasses. Direct TV has four 3D channels to make an assesment. I've got a 55" LG that uses the passive glasses and while I had the Mitsubishi's I used the active. It was all good. Depending on what you're watching the effect can be incredible.
Rick
post #250 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Basically the Gamut is the full range of color that can be reproduced, an expanded Gamut can give you the ability to have a wider range of color but it can go beyond the rec709 specification and actually make it harder or impossible to hit proper coordinates on the CIE chart. Of course this can vary by display and sometimes even set to set of the same model. Some displays may not be able to hit rec709 while in Standard Gamut (for those displays that have the gamut setting). I would guess that the proper setting for the new quad pixel Sharps will be standard gamut and not expanded (but as I said before YMMV).

Sharp's implementation for Gamut may also be such that expanded is intended only for those using a pc capable of doing wider gamuts like Adobe RGB (I honestly do not know for certain here since I have no extended personal experience on any of the quad pixel Sharp's that have the Gamut setting ).

* There are also conversion issues to consider and they seldom convert properly from one gamut to the next so getting the proper setting is important.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #251 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post

WHich video card do you have? Do you plan on gaming at all with it? Can you list your setup (receiver etc, ARC on/off, HDMI-CEC working/not) etc!!!

Exciting.

Also how tall is the set on the stand? Or, more importantly, how many inches from stand bottom to center? I am trying to figure out optimal height if I go with stand or wall mount.

Bottom of stand to center = 22 1/2 inches
So far with "regular TV" no audio sync issues. I feed everything through my Yamaha RX-A2000 with 1 HDMI cable to HDMI 1 input.
Video card is a 1GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce 460.
XBOX 360 bought recently with the idea that I would try gaming (Battlefield 3) but I haven't gotten that far yet
The receiver is HDMI 1.4 so I haven't messed with the ARC yet.
Again with my setup I'm not sure CEC is something I need.
All I do is press the right button on my Harmony 1 remote and everything swaps as necessary.
My "stand" is 20" so on my couch my eyes are pretty much at the center of the screen.
Rick
post #252 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebrock View Post

So far with "regular TV" no audio sync issues. I feed everything through my Yamaha RX-A2000 with 1 HDMI cable to HDMI 1 input.
Video card is a 1GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce 460.
XBOX 360 bought recently with the idea that I would try gaming (Battlefield 3) but I haven't gotten that far yet
The receiver is HDMI 1.4 so I haven't messed with the ARC yet.
Again with my setup I'm not sure CEC is something I need.
All I do is press the right button on my Harmony 1 remote and everything swaps as necessary.
My "stand" is 20" so on my couch my eyes are pretty much at the center of the screen.
Rick

Make sure the color profile of the video.card is off if thats possible.
post #253 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:

Rick

My stand is 24" (since I put casters on it) and I left a 5" gap between the stand and the bottom (because of some items on the stand and future expansion) so my center is going to be at about 51" . I see from the installation instructions that they don't want you to tilt it (which I wasn't counting on when I installed he mount) so I'll have to see if the height causes a problem. I think it will be fine but who knows.

Are you seeing much of a dimming effect between when you sit and stand up at your viewing location ?
post #254 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

My stand is 24" (since I put casters on it) and I left a 5" gap between the stand and the bottom (because of some items on the stand and future expansion) so my center is going to be at about 51" . I see from the installation instructions that they don't want you to tilt it (which I wasn't counting on when I installed he mount) so I'll have to see if the height causes a problem. I think it will be fine but who knows.

Are you seeing much of a dimming effect between when you sit and stand up at your viewing location ?

I don't see any dimming when sitting down or standing up. The horizontal sweet spot is within the outer edges of the screen when viewed head on.
post #255 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Make sure the color profile of the video.card is off if thats possible.

I wasn't sure if I was clear on the video card. It's not the Yamaha processor it's in my PC.

The profile for the 844U remote isn't in the Harmony data base yet so I used the 632U profile for now.

Signed up online for the Aquos Advantage plan - 3 extra months of warranty for free. I also called Sharp and bought the 3 year extended warranty for $219.
Rick
post #256 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 06:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

These are the choices available. I've initially picked 240 hz.I had to leave 10 point off to get to the RGB adjustments under color temp. Color gamut is selected to expanded.
I wanted to give a shoutout to Chris at CP. When he realized I was willing to pay now and not wait for the prices to drop he actually spent a little extra on his part and went with a different distributor to get me the set as soon as possible.
Rick

Does this mean it is not native 240?
post #257 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atgizzle View Post

Does this mean it is not native 240?

Looks like it can be set to 240 only when Aquamotion 480 is enabled . If you don't want to use aquamotion 120hz is your only option.

Strange that they don't allow a true 240 mode.

It is possible the "Off" is 240 but it just says normal so who knows.

Motion Enhancement
Use Motion Enhancement to view fast-action video
more clearly.
■ LC-80LE844U
AquoMotion480: Turn the LED backlight on or off for
240Hz drive display.
AquoMotion240: Turn the LED backlight on or off for
120Hz drive display.
120Hz High/120Hz Low: For obtaining a clearer image.
Off: Normal image.
post #258 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by samendolaro View Post

Looks like it can be set to 240 only when Aquamotion 480 is enabled . If you don't want to use aquamotion 120hz is your only option.

Strange that they don't allow a true 240 mode.

It is possible the "Off" is 240 but it just says normal so who knows.

Motion Enhancement
Use Motion Enhancement to view fast-action video
more clearly.
■ LC-80LE844U
AquoMotion480: Turn the LED backlight on or off for
240Hz drive display.
120Hz drive display.

that shows that it's a 120 native & only does 240 , 480 with the strobe back lighting ..which is done using software .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #259 of 3654 Old 04-02-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Can you do 240 or 480 without the "soap opera effect"? I would like the benefits of backlight scanning (works great, I've had a Panasonic LCD for year with scanning and it does wonders for blur) without the video look.

Also how much darker does the picture get with aquamotion 240 and 480? I would assume the 480 would darken the picture noticeabley as most backlight scanning does, but with the very bright Quattron, I hope this would not be an issue.

Also please report on the 3D qualities of this TV. Thanks.
post #260 of 3654 Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Any comments on the new apps? I know vudu wont show 3d for the elite because of a bug. How about for the 844? You get a $5.99 credit for signing up
post #261 of 3654 Old 04-03-2012, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

that shows that it's a 120 native & only does 240 , 480 with the strobe back lighting ..which is done using software .

Yea.. I just didn't want to believe it, suckered again. Quite pissed at how they threw the 480 in there to make you believe it was a native 240

Interesting that the 70" looks to have a true 240 panel but looking at the term "Drive display" on the 844 it would still suggest it has it. Very strange

Why would a set even have a 120hz option if it was a true 240. My guess is that it wouldn't.

■ LC-70LE847U/LC-60LE847U
240Hz: Turn the LED backlight on or off for 240Hz drive
display.
120Hz drive display.
post #262 of 3654 Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Am I one of the few that hate the 120 or 240 or whatever? I care more about response time/input lag.

While the sharp "Soap Opera effect" is the least intrusive IMHO and looks good for sports the data are the data. If the film is 24p or 720p@60progressive it is what it is.

Adding processing time/lag/sync issues (and ruinging a good online game) seems like a waste.

Give me 20ms input lag and 60hz!
post #263 of 3654 Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 AM

[quote=samendolaro;21861452]Yea.. I just didn't want to believe it, suckered again. Quite pissed at how they threw the 480 in there to make you believe it was a native 240

Interesting that the 70" looks to have a true 240 panel but looking at the term "Drive display" on the 844 it would still suggest it has it. Very strange

Why would a set even have a 120hz option if it was a true 240. My guess is that it wouldn't.

i just called the "Aquos Support Line". All they could provide me with is what's in the manual. When I explained our concerns over wether or not it's anative 240 hz panel she had no answer. She stated that the "off" position was 60 hz. We may not know the truth until we get a professional review.
Rick
post #264 of 3654 Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Can we get some bluray still shots, or more shots of using the TV as a computer monitor without camera shake? Just place the camera on something stable and snap a focused picture. Ty!
post #265 of 3654 Old 04-03-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Can you do 240 or 480 without the "soap opera effect"? I would like the benefits of backlight scanning (works great, I've had a Panasonic LCD for year with scanning and it does wonders for blur) without the video look.

Also how much darker does the picture get with aquamotion 240 and 480? I would assume the 480 would darken the picture noticeabley as most backlight scanning does, but with the very bright Quattron, I hope this would not be an issue.

Also please report on the 3D qualities of this TV. Thanks.

Believing it was 240 hz native I originally selected the Aquomotion 240 option. While watching "House" I saw the SOE. I checked and I still had "Film Mode" on. Once I turned it off the SOE appeared to go away. As soon as someone else with the TV starts posting we can get some 2nd opinions. But it appears that selecting Aquomation 240 by itself does not cause SOE. The 240/480 option do darken the picture but nothing that couldn't be compensated for via the menu.
Rick
post #266 of 3654 Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:

Believing it was 240 hz native I originally selected the Aquomotion 240 option. While watching "House" I saw the SOE. I checked and I still had "Film Mode" on. Once I turned it off the SOE appeared to go away. As soon as someone else with the TV starts posting we can get some 2nd opinions. But it appears that selecting Aquomation 240 by itself does not cause SOE.
Rick
Film Mode

Thanks. Did you notice the picture darken more with Aquamotion 480 when compared to Aquamotion 240?

It may also be that Aquamotion 240 is using the backlight scanning, and the 480 is adding Black Frame Insertion on top of the scanning to improve motion even more.

I think you guys are two caught up with the native hz. It actually doesn't mean very much at all and is mostly marketing BS. What's WAY more important is the actual pixel refresh rate (MS). For example. A CRT is 60hz only but has THE BEST motion of any tech because it has no pixel refresh lag.

Anyhow, as long as a set can pass 1080 lines of moving resolution, then it doesn't get much better then that for motion. All the previous Sharps with backlight scanning have passed 1080 lines according to Cnet.
post #267 of 3654 Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Believing it was 240 hz native I originally selected the Aquomotion 240 option. While watching "House" I saw the SOE. I checked and I still had "Film Mode" on. Once I turned it off the SOE appeared to go away. As soon as someone else with the TV starts posting we can get some 2nd opinions. But it appears that selecting Aquomation 240 by itself does not cause SOE.
Rick
Film Mode

That sounds correct. When I had the 70" Quattron with the 240 Hz Aquamotion option, SOE was caused solely by engaging Film Mode. I did not see any improvement over 120 Hz when using 240 Hz, and the screen did get slightly darker when using 240 Hz. IMO, "120 Hz low" still seems to be the best motion option.
post #268 of 3654 Old 04-03-2012, 08:41 AM

Liked: 10
I am more interested in knowing what people think of the picture quality in general. I am on my third 65" Sony and I need to decide whether to exchange it again or get this 80".
post #269 of 3654 Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Any comments on the new apps? I know vudu wont show 3d for the elite because of a bug. How about for the 844? You get a $5.99 credit for signing up

I checked vudu and netflix for 3D movies and didn't see any. I have watched 3D from vudu on my LG set
Pretty much any APP you could want.
The Home DLNA option worked great for pictures/movies/music from my computer. Very fast access.
The Web Browser takes you straight to the SharpUSA site. I haven't figured out how to move on from there
post #270 of 3654 Old 04-03-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmlot93 View Post

I am more interested in knowing what people think of the picture quality in general. I am on my third 65" Sony and I need to decide whether to exchange it again or get this 80".

Only had it a day but so far I have no issues with picture quality. In "movie mode" with Suzooks settings - nice color and black levels.
I'm going to have to find a calibrator to "do it right" with this set.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch Lcd 70 Class Quattron Led Smart 3d Tv , Sharp Aquos Lc 80le844u 80 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc80le844u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page