AVS Forum banner
524K views 4K replies 383 participants last post by  shpitz 
#1 ·
let's start a thread on this soon to released Sharp LCD 80" model ....

#3,085 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3060#post_23259697

this has been discussed in the 847 owner thread and keeps coming up with different sharp panels. the stuttering you're seeing is due to the input resolution/frame rate. If you can set your set top box to output 1080i60, you should be good for HD programming. on my 8470, i got stuttering, if I input 1080p/60 (using onkyo AVR to upconvert), or 720p. bluray's (1080p24) are always ok with my setup/dvd player. One would think that the AVR upconverting to 1080p60 should be native for the panel, but since it would stutter, somethings going on.

as for calibrating game mode, that'll be tough. color gamut is forced to expanded which will clip whites and blow out our color gamut. white balance will skew way toward blue and you can't correct it out. I only got good results calibrating with movie mode.

Best,

jeff

Hi Jeff,

I have TWC and the Motorola DCX3510-M. I don't see an option to change the fps. I only see option for screen resolution. When I go into the menu; I have limited options on what I can change. I try Menu->Settings->Devices. I even tried power off and clicking the menu button immediately afterwards. Both show the same menu. I can only adjust HDMI/PCM/Dolby Digital and Audio Range. I can then check settings->High definition and there is where I see screen resolution.

Where would I change the fps?

Thanks

#3,086 ·
Hi PureUncut,

I had that box connected to the 8470, but because I was using my AVR to switch HDMI, the box kept changing to native output. you can't choose fps, you can only select the output resolution. in this manual
DCX3510-M User Guide.pdf 1982k .pdf file go to page 37 (actual page number is 27). you want to set your HDMI output to 1080i. that should fix you up.

Best,

jeff

Attachments

#3,087 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3040_40#post_23259744

hey fastslappy, I've got the 609...
I have a TX-NR1009 & get none of the problems that you describe at all . my 1009 up converts everything to 1080P

the 1009 , 8XX series & up have that dual Marvel & HDQ video processor , If you can afford the upgrade to the Onkyo models that have that dual chipset processor (HQV® Vida VHD1900 & Marvell Qdeo ) the improvement in PQ is stunning. I had a 5008 & even that with the Reon chipset is no where near the improvement that the new chipsets offer .My 5008 sits in a box

#3,088 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3060#post_23260750

As you can see, contrast setting is set higher than others. You'll get plenty of "pop" with these settings. One of main things I didn't like about Suzook's setting was that it didn't have enough "pop" on the images and looked washed out. I also like the OPC setting ON to have the TV automatically adjust the brightness for lighting condition of the room. So even in the daylight I still see that "pop" and it's not blinding me when lights are off at night.
You can adjust this with the OPC Range to suit your environment.

My first 844u (model that started serial # with 'A') I felt that I had to turn on "Active Contrast" to get the equivalent "pop" but my replacement set (model that starts serial # with 'B') having "Active Contrast" ON causes blacks to be crushed. With the new set I had to adjust few settings (before my backlight was set to what was mentioned in the review calibration, @ -14) to back off the blacks a bit.
My replacement starts with a "C", and has a build of march 2013. I am still trying to fine tune the settings but the picture seems beeter than my older one

#3,089 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3060#post_23264285

My replacement starts with a "C", and has a build of march 2013. I am still trying to fine tune the settings but the picture seems beeter than my older one

They must have enhanced something again. I believe mine was November or December build.

#3,090 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3060#post_23257230

Here is my current settings I use which is based off of http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/sharp-lcd-tv/sharp-80LE844U-calibration.html

AV MODE: Standard

OPC: On

Backlight: +12

Contrast: +37

Brightness: -4

Color: -1

Tint: +3

Sharpness: +2

CMS Hue: +8 +1 0 -4 0 0

CMS Saturation: 0 0 0 0 0 0

CMS Value: +5 -6 +30 +30 -4 +10

Color Temp 10 Point Setting: On

+1: +29 +12 +26

+2: +7 +3 +10

+3: -2 +1 -5

+4: -9 -2 -8

+5: -14 -1 -10

+6: -17 -1 -17

+7: -18 -2 -20

+8: -18 -1 -18

+9: -15 0 -5

+10: -5 0 0

Motion Enhancement: Off

Quad Pixel Plus 2: Advanced

Active Contrast: Off

Gamma Adjustment: +1

Film Mode: Advanced +1

Digital Noise Reduction: Auto

Monochrome: Off

Range of OPC: +12 -12

My TV was delivered this weekend. I am still learning to know the features. I am little confused on how to tune it with these settings. The color temp 10 point setting is not enabled by default. It won't let me calibrate that setting. What I need to do to enable this setting? I am trying the user settings. The tv has latest firmware.

Thanks in advance for help

#3,091 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfuad  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3060#post_23264935

My TV was delivered this weekend. I am still learning to know the features. I am little confused on how to tune it with these settings. The color temp 10 point setting is not enabled by default. It won't let me calibrate that setting. What I need to do to enable this setting? I am trying the user settings. The tv has latest firmware.

Thanks in advance for help

I believe 10 point setting is only available in certain AV Modes. I'm using the Standard AV mode. You can always set it back to default if you don't like it so feel free to make the change in Standard.

#3,092 ·
Hello all. I'm getting ready to purchase an 80" Sharp.

My question is should I get the 857 series or the 844 series.

I can get the 844 for $1900 less than the new model.

Is the newer model worth $1900 more?

I'm going to have to buy the 3d glasses separate with the older model so I imagine that would cost about $100.

Also, what is the best model number of glasses to get for the 844?

So I would still be saving $1800 buying the older model.

Has anyone got the 80 inch 857 or been able to compare it to the 844?

Which has the best picture quality?

I don't really care about the thinkness of the older model because I'm not going to wall mount it.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

#3,093 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3090#post_23264971

I believe 10 point setting is only available in certain AV Modes. I'm using the Standard AV mode. You can always set it back to default if you don't like it so feel free to make the change in Standard.

Thanks. I would try this today.

#3,094 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2j  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3090#post_23265659

Hello all. I'm getting ready to purchase an 80" Sharp.

My question is should I get the 857 series or the 844 series.

I can get the 844 for $1900 less than the new model.

Is the newer model worth $1900 more?

I'm going to have to buy the 3d glasses separate with the older model so I imagine that would cost about $100.

Also, what is the best model number of glasses to get for the 844?

So I would still be saving $1800 buying the older model.

Has anyone got the 80 inch 857 or been able to compare it to the 844?

Which has the best picture quality?

I don't really care about the thinkness of the older model because I'm not going to wall mount it.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

get the 844 and soon as supplies are drying up. the 857 is said to have edge lit vs full array and your pq will suffer greatly from it and more likely horrible uniformity

Baffles the mind how sharp can take a step forward cosmetically and 9 steps back tech wise (well actually thats easy because its cheaper to produce)

Run dont walk to get the 844

#3,096 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3080_40#post_23266319

Well said...and if you dont need 3D....snag a 632 or 633 while they last!
That 80"er the 632 & 633 is the best display Sharp has made in YEARS ! ! ! !

VERY dependable , easy to set-up using the Famous SuZooK settings , If 3D is not a issue then RUN to get a 632 before they are gone

#3,098 ·
I love the size but the colors on the 844 when watching tv is just faded/washed out. Makes watching tv not as pleasant since all I really watch is TV. I will say bluray and xbox are awesome!!!

Comcast claims all my hookups, signals are good..so I guess im stuck with that look. LOL I just make sure i have it to bluray when ppl come over to check out my new toy. LOL LOL

#3,099 ·
Hi all,

Would you check for attached pics of my new 844 ? Pls.

Is it expected uniformity for 844 or I got defective set and have to replace it till too late?

I see green in center and pink to left and right.

Thanks.

Some more details for this matter:

1. mode is Movie

2. I briefly calibrated in this mode to get D65 and 2.22 Gamma, however the sensor was in almost center position, so all readings were from middle part the panel

3. the source images are grey from 50% to 100%, but perfect uniform grey, just diff %

I asked other people to take a look at my TV and all noticed that pink

I plan to take sensor measurements at diff points of panel to get objective colorimeter readings

I thought that with direct backlit uniformity has to be good, that's whole point to get full backlit, isn't it?

#3,100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9111  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3090#post_23266955

I love the size but the colors on the 844 when watching tv is just faded/washed out. Makes watching tv not as pleasant since all I really watch is TV. I will say bluray and xbox are awesome!!!

Comcast claims all my hookups, signals are good..so I guess im stuck with that look. LOL I just make sure i have it to bluray when ppl come over to check out my new toy. LOL LOL

what settings are you using

#3,101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3090#post_23267121

Hi all,

Is it expected uniformity for 844 or I got defective set and have to replace it till too late?

Thanks.

try a black screen first. And a lot of those uniformity issues can be evened out with the right settings and much more so with a proper calibration

#3,102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3080_40#post_23267121

Hi all,

Thanks.

how & where did you get that screen color ?

#3,103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9111  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3080_40#post_23266955

Time to dump CrapCast & get DirecTV at least just one box for the 80"er L O L

#3,104 ·
Comcast PQ, at least in my area, tops both Directv and Dish. PQ is the least of my concerns with them. Picture is spectacular. Lack of Premium movie channels is my biggest complaint with them. As Suzook and I keep saying, Professional calibration is the answer particularly with this set. Difference is night and day IMO.

S~

#3,105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3100_100#post_23267572

how & where did you get that screen color ?

Some more details for this matter:

1. mode is Movie

2. I briefly calibrated in this mode to get D65 and 2.22 Gamma, however the sensor was in almost center position, so all readings were from middle part the panel

3. the source images are grey from 50% to 100%, but perfect uniform grey, just diff %

I asked other people to take a look at my TV and all noticed that pink

I plan to take sensor measurements at diff points of panel to get objective colorimeter readings

I thought that with direct backlit uniformity has to be good, that's whole point to get full backlit, isn't it?

#3,106 ·
I placed my order and got the 844 on the way for delivery on Friday.

I'd like to get the opinion from all 844 owners as to what 3D glasses they recommend.

I wear prescription glasses so I need room for them.

I'd like to get the ones that provide the best 3D quality with the least amount of crosstalk but also ones

that are comfortable for adult sized heads.

Does anyone know if the Mitsubishi 3D glasses work on the 844?

What about the Sony Titanium 3D Active Glasses? These look like they would be very comfortable.

Thanks in advance for you help!

#3,107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2j  /t/1397134/official-sharp-aquos-lc-80le844u-owners-thread/3090#post_23268535

I'd like to get the opinion from all 844 owners as to what 3D glasses they recommend. I wear prescription glasses so I need room for them. I'd like to get the ones that provide the best 3D quality with the least amount of crosstalk but also ones that are comfortable for adult sized heads.

A couple pages back I posted about how the Best Buys near me were closing out the Sharp AN-3DG20-Bs for $30. If they still have some where you live, i would grab them while you can. The lenses are nicely sized, so they should fit over glasses just fine.

#3,109 ·
I have comcast which the box states is set to 1080i. I have tried all types of settings within the tv and really cannot make the colors for tv viewing vivid. The only settings that comes close to making the colors look great is the dynamic(fixed) mode. However, it then seems that all colors look ran together and is way too bright. The xbox and the bluray seems good. I am not sure if there is a energy option or something else that may correct this. Sadly I dont't think it is anything that can be changed. The odd part is my last tv and even another lcd I have don't seem to have this issue. So who knows.

The tv is still great for the size and I realize that you are losing quality for size esp at sharps tv prices.

Any suggestions would be great though. I thought about professional calibration but I just don't see how this will work. What works great for one station looks horrible for another. Also my only choices for that is BB and HHGregg which both want a lot and I'll be honest. I don't feel too confident in those places, especially at there prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.