Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE945U & LC-70LE945U owners thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm stuck with a 52" CCFL Samsung and I'm so sick of it, but I don't want to go Edge Lit, and I want 3D. It seems my only choice right now is 80LE844U but it will cost me at least $4600, and I think it might be TOO big. The LG 60LM9600 was promising up until I read about the horrible lag, etc. mad.gif I wish the 70LE945U would materialize, it sounds ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

I wish the 70LE945U would materialize, it sounds ideal.

Yep .... I was gonna go with the 65GT50 Panasonic Plasma ... but I heard about this horrible Image Retention issue ... researched further and found this may have great PQ but to have a burn in of the ESPN logo in my TV a few months down the road is a no go for me.

I had the 70" Sharp edge-lit and it was horrible ... I wish I could buy the 80" but I'm also in the same boat, Way to big (70" was pushing it at 10' away) and I really want 3D (I know it's nothing special but its something I dig and want in my tv).

I HATE TV Shopping. There is nothing out there right now that fits the bill for what I'm looking for .... I need a killer 65'70" Full Array Local Dimming LED that has great PQ and is just an overall great set ... NOTHING out there fits that bill right now (well I see theres a Sony XBR that might but that bad boy is 5K ... if I had that dough for a tv I would be looking at the Elite).

This whole process is just killing me .... and Sharp for sure is killing me with buying their 70" edge-lit 847 junk and having to return it and now holding out on this 945 set ... come on Sharp let's get your S#!t together here guys. tongue.gif
Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

Yep .... I was gonna go with the 65GT50 Panasonic Plasma ... but I heard about this horrible Image Retention issue ... researched further and found this may have great PQ but to have a burn in of the ESPN logo in my TV a few months down the road is a no go for me.

that's the only reason why I did not purchase the VT50...I currently have the VT30 and the image retention is definitely an issue...I watch the ESPN group of channels a lot and the logo is always retained on the right corner of the screen (very faint and only noticable against an all white background but it's still annoying)...I don't care how great the picture quality is, I don't want to deal with any more retention issues

that's why I'm hoping the Sharp 945 is released soon
Old 08-05-2012, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It's a two horse race for me right now and sadly both candidates belong squarely in the vapourware category; the Sharp 945 and the Sony HX950 (or whatever the next XBR is called). I'm a plasma guy through and through but after trying three sets of the 60GT50 and they all had severe buzzing to the point that people were mistaking the TV for a fridge (sound-wise of course) I couldn't deal with that.

I returned my last 60GT50 last month and waiting. Fortunately I can wait a bit more but I don't know if I can last till the fall-winter. I need something by September-October and just wish Sony and/or Sharp would come out one way or another and announce something firm. I was going to get the 65HX929 but there are none left near me (I'm in Canada, and Amazon doesn't ship here), only a couple of display units left. The Elite was another option until I found out that, at least locally for me, they are priced the same as a small car and no negotiations on price (as it's a special order unit). Edge-lit LED/LCD is not an option. The whole process of waiting is frustrating.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

that's the only reason why I did not purchase the VT50...I currently have the VT30 and the image retention is definitely an issue...I watch the ESPN group of channels a lot and the logo is always retained on the right corner of the screen (very faint and only noticable against an all white background but it's still annoying)...I don't care how great the picture quality is, I don't want to deal with any more retention issues
that's why I'm hoping the Sharp 945 is released soon

Ya I keep hearing ... Ohhh it's no big deal .... Oh this is a thing of the past .... ohh just make sure you watch hundreds of hours of low crappy settings before you get it to bright and run slides and wipe the screen all the time!?!?!? WHAT?

Seems like a part time job having this plasma .... And the ones telling me it's not an issue are those who watch no sports, no epsn, and nothing with static bright logos in the bottom corners. I like a lot of prime-time cable / network shows that have static network logos ... and the big kicker is the ESPN bright white logo ... I watch that for hours and that ting never goes away (not even during commercials).

I wish I could afford the Elite but can't ... and unfortunately the Sony 65HX929 at 5K is still out of my price range ... looking to spend only about 4K (or less if possible).

This whole process is just killing me! mad.gif
Old 08-05-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 753
Quote:

Ya I keep hearing ... Ohhh it's no big deal .... Oh this is a thing of the past .... ohh just make sure you watch hundreds of hours of low crappy settings before you get it to bright and run slides and wipe the screen all the time!?!?!? WHAT?
Seems like a part time job having this plasma .... And the ones telling me it's not an issue are those who watch no sports, no epsn, and nothing with static bright logos in the bottom corners. I like a lot of prime-time cable / network shows that have static network logos ... and the big kicker is the ESPN bright white logo ... I watch that for hours and that ting never goes away (not even during commercials).
I wish I could afford the Elite but can't ... and unfortunately the Sony 65HX929 at 5K is still out of my price range ... looking to spend only about 4K (or less if possible).
This whole process is just killing me! mad.gif

I hear Ya Big Time ! eek.gif

I'm really tired of my 46" Sharp in the bedroom , it a great display PQ is stellar ! but as now with the wife using the bedroom display as a PC monitor due to a bad back
I NEED a large display in there & all the Sharp 70"ers are edge lighted & I am No Way gonna buy one , they are garbage just like the edge lighted Sharp ones of 3 years ago ,pure crap , mad.gif
I wait ... not happy I have to wait but No way am I buying a Elite with issues OR a edge lit display

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Old 08-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

I hear Ya Big Time ! eek.gif
I'm really tired of my 46" Sharp in the bedroom , it a great display PQ is stellar ! but as now with the wife using the bedroom display as a PC monitor due to a bad back
I NEED a large display in there & all the Sharp 70"ers are edge lighted & I am No Way gonna buy one , they are garbage just like the edge lighted Sharp ones of 3 years ago ,pure crap , mad.gif
I wait ... not happy I have to wait but No way am I buying a Elite with issues OR a edge lit display

Wrong . . . . The Sharp 70LE732 is still available through amazon and has full array lighting, definitely not edge lit. It also has a very effective anti reflective semi-gloss screen. And is well within your price range.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pds3 View Post

Wrong . . . . The Sharp 70LE732 is still available through amazon and has full array lighting, definitely not edge lit. It also has a very effective anti reflective semi-gloss screen. And is well within your price range.
Nope not 4 Me !
that's a year old display , Last years model ..............
And those sets had a issue with darkened corners due to Not being FULL coverage back array lighted ,
they are a back lighted array Yes .......
But not a full coverage array ( the 632 80" & the 844 80" are Full Back Array lighted models )
thus the issue with both sizes of 732 & the 632 70", 60" ... the corners areas being sorta not the same brightness as the rest of the screen .
Been there,
done that
& sent it back ....rolleyes.gif

Mike

Old 08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

I'm stuck with a 52" CCFL Samsung and I'm so sick of it, but I don't want to go Edge Lit, and I want 3D. It seems my only choice right now is 80LE844U but it will cost me at least $4600, and I think it might be TOO big. The LG 60LM9600 was promising up until I read about the horrible lag, etc. mad.gif I wish the 70LE945U would materialize, it sounds ideal.

I probably have the same Samsung TV. Don't knock CCFL, it's still far superior to everything out that's edge lit. Including every plasma other than maybe the VT50.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Nope not 4 Me !
And those sets had a issue with darkened corners due to Not being FULL coverage back array lighted ,
But not a full coverage array ( the 632 80" & the 844 80" are Full Back Array lighted models )
thus the issue with both sizes of 732 & the 632 70", 60" ... the corners areas being sorta not the same brightness as the rest of the screen .
Been there,
done that

Then I guess there's no pleasing you.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

To be fair, none of the Sharp full-array sets have local dimming, only the Elite (as well as Sony's XBR) does. This is why so many people are excited about the 945; it'll be the first Sharp-branded (read: mainstream priced) full array with local dimming.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

I just want Sharp to tell us SOMETHING !!!

I have cash for a new TV and don't want to settle ... it's football season and time for a new bigger TV.

This TV buying experience has been horrible so far.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My 632 80" pleases me ..... it's a great in the mean time as I wait till a better display comes to market rolleyes.gif
What would really please me is 70" 945 L/D & a 80 " Elite smile.gif or Better Yet ! even a 90" Elite eek.gif
I'd be a happy Camper then ...... biggrin.gif
One Day It Will Happen ......... wink.gif

Mike

Old 08-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

I need to call sharp tomorrow to see if there's any more news. I have a feeling there will be no new development till january, if sharp is still making high end TV's then.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I just want Sharp to tell us SOMETHING !!!
I have cash for a new TV and don't want to settle ... it's football season and time for a new bigger TV.
This TV buying experience has been horrible so far.

I'm in the same boat....waiting and waiting. I dont want to settle for the 845 and then a month later the 945 come out...

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Assuming it does come out, I found a couple of unofficial projected price listings for the 70" version. Supposedly it will be from $4299 to $4499. That would definitely carve out a niche for itself away from the Elite if they could pull off that price.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

I'm in the same boat....waiting and waiting. I dont want to settle for the 845 and then a month later the 945 come out...

the 800 models aren't even settling, they are just a no brainer to STAY AWAY! I bought the 847 and it s the most horrible tv I have seen to date! I am sold on I thihnk never buying a huge edge-lit tv again!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nope not 4 Me !
Been there,
done that

Guess what... the 844U also has darkened corners. Confirmed this multiple times in BestBuy. Right now I am leaning towards the 735U again considering I can get it for less than $2300, and just live with the defects. I almost decided on GT50 or E8000 plasma, but the IR, the buzz, the line bleed I see, the heat in my non-AC living room, the flicker I see on bright colors, the babying... too much to deal with. Only thing stopping me now is how the 735U does with fast panning/motion blur, because this TV will be 75% video games, 25% Blu Rays, honestly.
And I ruled out the passive LG models too finally... I got to see passive in action... all I can see is SCANLINES! Not so on the active 3D.

If the 70" 945U will be $4300.... I can afford that, but I'm thinking... maybe just deal with a 735U until a big enough OLED comes around. Gotta be better than my 52" CCFL Samsung with bright blacks and clouding all over the place and no 3D? Right??!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think OLED is going to be quite the holy grail a lot of people (including me) thought it would be. There have already been reports of major color saturation problems that just goes with that kind of tech. However, regardless of the problems it will probably eventually be the next wave because manufacturers always need the next gimmick to get people to buy. But the next new thing isn't always a good thing. Remember, full array back lit TV's gave way to edge lit just because it was new, thinner, and cheaper. But the PQ took a step back into the dark ages. Full array has come back but is already starting to disappear again. There have been reports of Sony's 929 going away with no replacement. And the 945 is up in the air with no definite release date. The Elite version 2 is also a big question mark because of Sharp's massive financial problems. So where does that leave us? Bascially right back to edge lit crap maybe with more gimmicks like motion detection and voice command functions.
falconman515 likes this.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog750 View Post

I don't think OLED is going to be quite the holy grail a lot of people (including me) thought it would be. There have already been reports of major color saturation problems that just goes with that kind of tech. However, regardless of the problems it will probably eventually be the next wave because manufacturers always need the next gimmick to get people to buy. But the next new thing isn't always a good thing. Remember, full array back lit TV's gave way to edge lit just because it was new, thinner, and cheaper. But the PQ took a step back into the dark ages. Full array has come back but is already starting to disappear again. There have been reports of Sony's 929 going away with no replacement. And the 945 is up in the air with no definite release date. The Elite version 2 is also a big question mark because of Sharp's massive financial problems. So where does that leave us? Bascially right back to edge lit crap maybe with more gimmicks like motion detection and voice command functions.

Well said, but I have to say that my 5" true OLED Sony PS Vita screen just looks amazing. Yes the colors tend to be on the saturated side. But it has none of the problems of LCD or Plasma technology otherwise. No bad angles, no light bleed or clouding, no off center contrast shifting, no motion blur and of course no buzz, heat, burn in, flicker, or line bleed. I will take exagerated colors over all that any day.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Well said, but I have to say that my 5" true OLED Sony PS Vita screen just looks amazing. Yes the colors tend to be on the saturated side. But it has none of the problems of LCD or Plasma technology otherwise. No bad angles, no light bleed or clouding, no off center contrast shifting, no motion blur and of course no buzz, heat, burn in, flicker, or line bleed. I will take exagerated colors over all that any day.

Another OLED problem is producing bright whites, which are not as bright as LED, and tend to have a bluish tint to them. That is already known on some mobile phones.

Display: VIZIO P702ui-B3, Speakers: 5.1, Polk Monitor 70 Biamped (R,L), Polk CS20 (Center), Polk OWM3 (Rears), Yamaha (Woofer) Previous Displays: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sharp Elite PRO-70X5FD, Sony XBR-65HX950, Toshiba 55SV670U, Mitsubishi WD-65734, Panasonic PT-47WX49
Old 08-07-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Guess what... the 844U also has darkened corners. Confirmed this multiple times in BestBuy. Right now I am leaning towards the 735U again considering I can get it for less than $2300, and just live with the defects. I almost decided on GT50 or E8000 plasma, but the IR, the buzz, the line bleed I see, the heat in my non-AC living room, the flicker I see on bright colors, the babying... too much to deal with. Only thing stopping me now is how the 735U does with fast panning/motion blur, because this TV will be 75% video games, 25% Blu Rays, honestly.
And I ruled out the passive LG models too finally... I got to see passive in action... all I can see is SCANLINES! Not so on the active 3D.
If the 70" 945U will be $4300.... I can afford that, but I'm thinking... maybe just deal with a 735U until a big enough OLED comes around. Gotta be better than my 52" CCFL Samsung with bright blacks and clouding all over the place and no 3D? Right??!
I suggest that you go over to the 844 thread & state that you observed dark corners on 844 's you seen at Best Buy , get some feed back from persons that actually own a 844 . I will say the 735 is a better display than a 845 no question. the edge lighted displays all are lacking in the PQ department . All these displays has their issues . only you can pick one that satisfies you . I myself have never seen dark corners from a 844 or the 80" 632 , i myself have seen dark corners on the 632 70" 60" , the 735 line both in store & calibrated units in a home setting . I would suggest that viewing at Best Buy in store is NOT the best way to judge PQ of any display .
Also go the 735 thread & see all the issues that displays has ,the darkened corners are not the only issue .

Mike

Old 08-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I suggest that you go over to the 844 thread & state that you observed dark corners on 844 's you seen at Best Buy , get some feed back from persons that actually own a 844 . I will say the 735 is a better display than a 845 no question. the edge lighted displays all are lacking in the PQ department . All these displays has their issues . only you can pick one that satisfies you . I myself have never seen dark corners from a 844 or the 80" 632 , i myself have seen dark corners on the 632 70" 60" , the 735 line both in store & calibrated units in a home setting . I would suggest that viewing at Best Buy in store is NOT the best way to judge PQ of any display .
Also go the 735 thread & see all the issues that displays has ,the darkened corners are not the only issue .

Good advice, and I definitely did all that. I'm a Senior Member since 2003 after all, lol. I just took the plunge and ordered a 70LE735U. I fully expect clouds, DSE, you name it. This way I will not be disappointed. But I felt like I had NO other choice in any TV!

I did not want to spend literally 3X what I paid on a 70" Elite. I did not want to spend literally 2X what I paid on an 80" 844U which is going to be too big for my 9" distance, or 2X for an Sony HX929. I did not want to go back to plasma under any circumstances. I did not want a passive 3D unit after seeing the scanlines at BestBuy. I already have a Samsung 52" CCFL TV from 2008 I am displeased with, and I saw too much flicker on Samsung 3D. I certainly did not want EDGE LIT. I did not want to wait years for a 65" OLED, or for a 945U at maybe twice the price that may never even exist. I figure if I just expect a big, cheap screen that finally gives me some 3D and maybe better blacks than my current 52" that I just find too small... I should be happy. If not, I can flip it on eBay for not too much money lost. And I really like the flatpanelshd.com and G4TV (I kid you not) reviews on it. I am judging this as a holdover purchase until some better technology comes along. And if I didn't make a decision soon, I think I'd have went to the looney bin!

I will post back if its as bad as I am fearing or if I am pleasantly surprised. smile.gif
Old 08-07-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good advice, I am judging this as a holdover purchase until some better technology comes along. And if I didn't make a decision soon, I think I'd have went to the looney bin!
I will post back if its as bad as I am fearing or if I am pleasantly surprised. smile.gif
My hold over display is the 632 80" , I sit back at 10 to 11' .. I want a 70" 945 for the wife in the bedroom , & I want a Local Dimming 80 or 90" to replace this 80" BUT it's has to be stellar as this 80" 632 is Great PQ , I have it dialed in very well & use a Onkyo that has the latest dual video processors in my AVR that make my DirecTV feed's PQ great . I know I can do better but I wait on the 945 & maybe the Elite V2 in a larger size before I buy again. But as you state I want something in the mean time tongue.gif
FootBall is about to start & my 49ers are gonna kick butt !!! wink.gif I must have a suitable display !!! L O L ...

Mike

Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

And.... I think I may be back to square 1. After I placed my order I realized that no one except the company I ordered from had the 735U in stock and for a price anywhere near what I'm paying. Company also had had complaints for supposedly selling refurbs as new. So I'll probably have to cancel. If only I had spent 1/10th of the time researching stores as I did TVs.... mad.gif
Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bummer eek.gif .... Sorry to hear that .

Mike

Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes, please update about your experience with new TV
Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek753 View Post

Yes, please update about your experience with new TV

Company ended up canceling my order this morning. Clearly they didn't have it in stock. So after spending weeks deciding and finally choosing something, I can't even get it. Madness.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 PM

Liked: 10
Im really after a good 70 or maybe 65 inch also.80% from viewing from my direct tv h34 10% bluerays 10% 3d content.
I dont know if you guys are just being over critical or what.I cant find a single thread where people are happy with thier tv even the big money elite and xbr929 find things to complain about,I dont know maybe its part of the hobby guys feel they have to nit pick everything. Maybe someone can direct me at the best current choice for the sharp 70 line, Why is the 735 better than the 844 model,are both 240 refresh?

I can live with minor issues if the tv is in the low 2k range rather than paying double for something more close to the impossible perfect. If you werent after perfection,what would you go with now in the sharp 70 line? I am moving away from a 67inch samsung dlp. So im not super picky
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Sharp Quattron 3D 70LE845U from Best Buy is a good set.
All the new sets that use so-called white LEDs for backlight suffer from an imperfect light source.
The spectrum is badly shifted towards blue and gets worse with age.
White LEDs are not really LEDs at all, but a hybrid of a blue LED and a yellow fluorescent phosphor.
The blue LED has a much longer life than the yellow phosphor, so the initial blue/white will get even bluer with time.
I got my set balanced to keep the white evenly cool blue/green across the brightness range.
I attenuated the reds and magentas to overcome severe clipping and now I am satisfied with the set.
I'm hoping that the issue with the yellow phosphor decay has been addressed, but that is a leap of faith at this point...

Tags
Sharp Quattron Lc 70le945u