Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE745U & LC-70LE745U Owners Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 318 Old 07-08-2013, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 61
smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 318 Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks a lot johnfull - I will give these a try with the calibration disc.

You didn't experience any "stuttering" with the picture on modes other than GAME? The issue is that GAME mode does not have the 10 point settings.

You wouldn't happen to have any settings for GAME mode?

Thanks again!
post #303 of 318 Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't found the need for Game Mode or even Movie Mode, since the one setting seems to suit all.
You might try various settings of the Film Mode to see if you can get the stuttering to subside.
Someone in my household likes the 'soap opera effect', so I turned the Advanced setting to maximum and
find little to complain about. The additional processing is handled well by the hardware and moving objects
are realistically propelled across the screen. Hopefully, some combination will work the kinks out for you...
post #304 of 318 Old 07-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Johnfull,

Does this LED have a "Break IN" period??

It just started showing better and better in the last few days. The PQ is awesome.smile.gif
post #305 of 318 Old 07-15-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
There is no break in period for an LCD/LED television.
post #306 of 318 Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Cool! If you use the OPC, there might be some learning curve the set goes through.
I noticed burn-through of whites when I first set mine up, but it now looks fine in strong daylight.
It is correct, though, that the actual LCD panel and the LED backlights don't have break-in...
post #307 of 318 Old 07-16-2013, 05:28 PM

Liked: 11
Hi!

New owner of the LC-60LE745U. Now it's on closeout at Best Buy for a good deal! Aesthetic looks very good, wife will be pleased.

My current impression is while it is far from perfect, it can still be worked to satisfaction with some tweaks. However, I will always wonder if there is something else out there better for a little more money wink.gif

First, my view of the Pros to this TV:
  • Fair black level - 0.60%
  • Matte screen
  • 120 Hz capable (more on that latter)
  • 3D capable (more on this latter, too)
  • Edge lit LED = thin

Cons:
  • Bad motion processing flexibility
  • Out of the box takes a fair amount of tweaks to get color to look fair
  • 120 Hz does not equate to smooth motion, no Aqua-Motion
  • Non-standard Active 3D (I also prefer movie theater like Passive 3D)
  • Input Lag 63ms, 4 frames delay. Not very good for gaming
  • Edge lit LED = clouding,flashlighting,DSE

The first few days it was a frustrating experience. First the best buy "Pro" loading guy put it in my SUV with screen facing down, when I noticed it half way home the arrow on the box was pointing the wrong way, I wondered if that is what caused previous posts' cracked screen. eek.gif

Tried CNet & LCDTvBuyingGuide settings, and the picture looks washed out. Input lag other than Game mode is too noticeable. Used AVS HD.709 test Bluray to calibrate, and could not get both 24P and 1080i motion tests to become smooth at the same time. SOE with artifacts were pretty bad, but the alternative juddering is not very good either. 120Hz seems useless. User's manual is not very helpful describing the fine adjustments. I watched a variety of materials. The greens on a golf course never come out right, motion enhancement made one golf ball showing up twice. The screen motion had a period of smooth, followed by a period of fast forwarding, then juddering effect.

I had this 2012 TV next to my 06' Panasonic DLP & 09' Vizio LCD, and both had better picture and motion processing overall. I was not happy. (Didn't need to put it next to my Panasonic Plasma at that point). confused.gif

Finally, I started boosting the color setting way up, then tuned down the CMS Saturation way down (-30) to get color separations back. Now it starts to look better. Still could not get the blue color quiet right, however.
Apparently, [Game] mode is the only way to disable motion processing on this unit to get 1080i to work right. You will loose motion smoothing with 24P content in game mode. My Vizio VF550M had no problem getting both 1080i & 24P to work right at the same time, but not this Sharp. I wish Sharp can allow motion processing to be truly disabled in other view modes as well.

The Motion Enhancements settings are confusing. I am not seeing any differences between Off/120 Low/120 High. It is sad to see many turning a 120Hz set to 60Hz.

Once I get more time tuning this TV I will post some of my settings. Hopefully this is a keeper for me. biggrin.gif
pfft!! likes this.
post #308 of 318 Old 07-17-2013, 01:11 AM

Very interesting first thoughts AresROC. Almost spot-on compared to my experiences so far - how it takes a while to get a decent picture out of it and fully agree regarding the points about motion processing and blue color.

Looking forward to your settings - especially the ones on GAME mode.
post #309 of 318 Old 07-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

I found these settings on the C/net site...I have to say I have used it for three days now and absolutely love it.smile.gif
Colors are very natural and realistic in this setting for both BD and cable( I don't game). Try it out guys.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-579990/sharp-lc-60le847u-picture-settings/

AV MODE: MOVIE
OPC: Off
Backlight: +11
Contrast: +28
Brightness: 0
Color: 0
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: 0
Y: +4
G: 0
C: +2
B: 0
M: +8

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: +3
Y: -6
G: -2
C: -4
B: -7
M: -7

C.M.S. -Value
R: +3
Y: 0
G: -3
C: 0
B: -2
M: 0

C.M.S. -Hue
[all zero]

C.M.S. -Saturation
[all zero]

C.M.S. -Value
[all zero]

Color Gamut Range: Standard

Color Temp: Low

[10 Point Setting Off]
R Gain (LO): +3
G Gain (LO): +5
B Gain (LO): -2
R Gain (HI): +4
G Gain (HI): +6
B Gain (HI): -20

[10 Point Settings: No adjustment]

Motion Enhancement: 120Hz High
Quad PIxel Plus 2: Advanced
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: -1
Black Level: [grayed out]
Film Mode: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: [any]
post #310 of 318 Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Thank you for the settings King_David. I have tried a few settings and I don't know if its me or my TV, being an early March 2012 model, none looks satisfactory to me.

For now, I am using "LCD TV Buying Guide.com" setting for Movie mode, and user "Z-Mad" from the Sharp 640U thread for Game mode. Both looks similar to each other in their perspective mode & acceptable for now with a few tweaks.

With the help of AVSForums calibration bluray, I have settled on a few basic settings that are consistent so far:

AV MODE: [ANY]
Backlight: +12 (from +8 ~ +12 depending on room lighting)
Contrast: +28
Brightness: +1
Color: [?]

One other item I noticed is the different settings in Film - Advanced settings 0~7 does make a difference to reduce motion blur / introduce artifacts. so far a setting of 3 or 5 seems to be good compromise for me.
post #311 of 318 Old 07-29-2013, 02:12 AM

Tried also the Z-Mad settings for Game mode but overall the reds were too prominent - especially the skin color was very unnatural. Could you tell what your tweaks were for this?
post #312 of 318 Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 AM

Liked: 17
Thisset is 1590 at Amazon right Now fyi
post #313 of 318 Old 09-02-2013, 08:49 AM

I purchased this TV and owned it for approximately a month. I got it on sale at Best Buy for $899 and even at that I believe it was over priced. Yes, it has a ridiculous amount of features (4 HDMI ports, 3D, Wifi, DLNA, ect), but these are useless if the TV's picture is horrible. I had the TV professionally calibrated by an ISF certified expert and even after that it still never looked quite right. I was willing to deal with the color variation, but what made me ultimately return it was the motion blur / lag / jutter or whatever it's called. I'm not a professional by any means and I'm not sure what each of those terms describes, but I can tell you that this TV had a HORRIBLE time dealing with motion. A great example is the ending of the Star Trek (2009) movie. The ship is moving, people are talking, they are shooting the cores of the ship into a deep black area. In ALL modes except Gaming this scene was consistently jerky. It almost looked like I could see each frame stop and start again. In this particular scene it was very easy to see this, but it happened on and off while watching everything. Gaming Mode does not work while streaming nor does it work while using a USB hard drive. I watch many of my movies like this so there was no way I could keep the TV. Also, in the way of motion, it never seemed like the audio and video were synced perfectly. I have a 56" DLP and a 42" LCD and I never had issues with this. As soon as I hooked this TV up, the lip sync issues started and I never could get this resolved. I purchased a 65" Panasonic Plasma to replace the Sharp and I have had no lip sync issues. Another issue I had with it was the horrible black levels. Yes, I understand an LED TV can't have perfect levels, but on really dark scenes the black was way too light. The flash lighting around the screen could have been part of the problem as well. Lastly was the 3D aspect of the TV. It was basically unusable. I think this was partially due to the motion issues I was having, but there was consistent ghosting and it was almost as though I had double vision while watching 3D. Not to mention you have to buy SHARP brand glasses and you only have 3 to choose from. Overall my opinion is to steer clear of this TV. I decided to go with a plasma and I couldn't be happier.

If anyone needs/wants to buy a pair of Sharp 3D glasses let me know. I only used them 2-3 times so they are basically brand new. smile.gif
post #314 of 318 Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 AM

Finally found time to do some tuning on this TV with my i1DisplayPro and CalMan.

Only had time to do the Color Temp 2-Point calibration but the improvements were dramatic! You CANNOT buy this TV and watch it without this calibration done, or the color can be way-off, at least for my TV.

I did the calibration with settings below, everything else (color wise) set to default:
AV MODE: [Standard, Game & Movie]
Backlight: (from +0 ~ +12 depending on room lighting)
Contrast: +28~+30 personal preference
Brightness: +1
Color: Default

To make your gray/white look natural without the default's way too high blue tint, go to Color Temp, set it to Low.
Set both the Lo and Hi Blue 2 Point Calibration to -25 ~ -30, then boost the Red & Green to +5 ~ +15 to your liking.

This will get you somewhat satisfactory without spending $200+ for a calibrator. If I find more time I will do the 10 point calibration, but it probably won't make a noticeable difference for most. cool.gif
post #315 of 318 Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1444684/sharp-lc-70le845u-calibration-including-3d

Use the disc from this site and calibrate the 10 point white temperature.
Pay attention to the top couple of white bars -- eliminate the clipping first and then adjust the color.
My preference is a slightly 'sunny' color, rather than a bluish-white, even though it can't get as bright with these LED backlights.
The above is my adjustments that tamed the issues you talk about on my own model. Good luck!

Johnfull,

I've found couple Recalibration discs on this site so I'm not sure which one you've referred to, thus hope you don't mind to post the direct link to it or at least post its full name so a newbie like me can search for it. Thank you :) 

post #316 of 318 Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
post #317 of 318 Old 10-04-2013, 05:52 AM

Thank you, greeno :D

post #318 of 318 Old 10-09-2013, 02:49 AM

The only problem with 10 point white temperature and this set is that the TV is (subjectively speaking) only watchable in GAME mode and "10 point" is not enabled under GAME mode.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Aquos 60 Le847 Series 3d Led Black Flat Panel Hdtv With Quad Pixel Plus 2 Panel Edge Lit Led Backlig , Sharp Aquos Lc60le745u 60 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv , Sharp Lc70c7450 Lc 70c7450 Lc 70c7450 Lc70c7450 70 1080p Led 3d Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc60le745u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page