Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE745U & LC-70LE745U Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 318 Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmalko1 View Post

This is my first post on this forum. I apologize if my question has already been answered, but I looked and looked and did not see it. Question:Should I buy a Sharp 70" 700 series because they are less expensive than the 800 series or should I spend the extra bucks and get the 800 series? Criteria: I love to watch sports - especially football and I love to play Xbox360 sports games. I could not care less about having 3D. I have read many reviews on the both the 700 and 800 series. Some of the reviews re: 700 series talk about problems with fast moving pictures such as sports or action movies. Motion blur, artifacts. One even said the helecopters in Battle for LA disappeared as they flew across the screen. Other reviews say the set does great with sports and games. So which is it? Can you get a 700 series set and get a great picture on a football game or not? Would I just be better off not taking the chance on a 120hz and going for a 240hz? What do you think? Thanks.

I believe the Sharp Sharp LC-70LE735U does have 240hz. I've seen it in stores and watched some basketball on it, and it looked great. No blurring. My friend has a cheaper model, I think the LC-70LE632U , and he said the only blurring he ever sees is when he is watching Hockey and the puck is moving fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 318 Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM

Thanks.
post #153 of 318 Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 AM

Liked: 14
Got the 60-inch today and have been up too late playing with it. Pretty impressed so far, a bit of 'flashlighting' but that seems to be unavoidable, doesn't look as bad as I thought it'd be considering it's edge-lit.

Very glad to see Netflix coming in with 5.1 sound, and FilmFresh has a selection of the sort of stuff that Vudu dumped when Wal-Mart took them over- a little pricey though. Activated Vudu on my Oppo Blu-Ray player and was disappointed to see that it won't play 3D content- don't know if the TV's app does, will activate it after I spend the fre credit I got from the Oppo. TV actually has a web browser that will display any URL, but no media capabilities on it whatsoever. 3D Blu-Rays look great, a little 'crosstalk' but I've never seen a theatrical presentation without that either- much preferable to the scan-lines visible on passive 3D. Found some 3D videos on YouTube as well, though they're a bit difficult to look up on the TV's interface and you have to manually put the TV in 3D mode at the start of each one. 2D-to-3D conversion is amusing, checked out a few TV commercials with it and some looked almost like they were shot in 3D while others just looked like the picture was deeper inside the TV cabinet. Will have to watch a classic movie with it some time just for laughs.
post #154 of 318 Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM

A few more thoughts and observations- mainly, it seems the best "A/V Mode" for anything on this TV is "Game". On all other modes, text in the picture looks a little jittery- hard to describe, but the effect is the same as viewing text on a CRT display. (It appears to do this mostly on HD-DVDs, the Blu-Rays I checked looked fine so those who don't have HD-DVD players may not notice this.) I could not find any individual adjustment to eliminate that except to put it on Game. I assume that mode bypasses most of the extra processing the TV does, which usually ends up doing more harm than good. Last night when checking digital broadcast TV stations, I noticed the "soap opera effect" on filmed material when going in and out of the TV's menus, even though I already had all 'motion enhancements' set to Off. I will have to see if Game mode stops that. (On Game mode you cannot even turn on any 'motion enhancements'.)

I knew about the auto-dimming going in, but it's still rather annoying. Checked out the openings of some movies and even in a bright room you can tell when the backlight is dimming itself when the screen goes to black. Decided I could tolerate this before I decided to buy the TV, but still wish there was a way to disable this 'feature'.

What's interesting is this TV senses when there are any closed-caption or Text signals on analog video. (Text is extremely rare- it places text on the entire screen in a black box blocking out most of the picture. ABC used it in the 80s to show program listings and a news feed, but I haven't seen it used since the 90s. Some TVs can't even display it, I found this TV can when playing a Mitsubishi demo laserdisc which does have info in that area- ironically it's a repeating message saying "There is no Text info on this disc.") If there's no captions, pushing the CC button won't even let you turn them on- it displays a "--". If there are any, it lets you turn them on, and in the rare cases when there's something on CC2 or Text it lets you turn those on too. The text font this TV uses for captions is a little unusual compared to other TVs I've had.
post #155 of 318 Old 05-03-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 202
It seems strange that this thread is getting so little action compared to the 847 thread. Maybe I'm missing something but from what I've read in the 847 thread, many are turning off the Quad Pixel Plus feature and saying any advantages are not apparent beyond a few feet and they are using a motion setting of 120 low. With the exception of the 3D Depth Enhancer aren't they basically turning their 847's into 745's? Is there some other feature that makes the more expensive 847 more of a choice than the 745? Is the 847 prettier than the 745?
post #156 of 318 Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
It seems strange that this thread is getting so little action compared to the 847 thread. Maybe I'm missing something but from what I've read in the 847 thread, many are turning off the Quad Pixel Plus feature and saying any advantages are not apparent beyond a few feet and they are using a motion setting of 120 low. With the exception of the 3D Depth Enhancer aren't they basically turning their 847's into 745's? Is there some other feature that makes the more expensive 847 more of a choice than the 745? Is the 847 prettier than the 745?

I feel it's just successful marketing by Sharp ,telling people & them then believing the Hype that the added features are worth the Extra Costs . I've had Sharp's for the last 5 years (6 of them ) I like the 3 color panel better.
While do want a Elite unless my "Ship Comes In" then & Sharp makes a 80" or 90" Sharp Elite then I'll stay with what I got .
But really to tell the truth about the 2012 line I Do Not Like the edge lighted model @ all . that's why I have a 80" 632 in the main HT & in the bedroom I hang on to my 46" CCFL Sharp . I wait on an Elite for the bedroom in 60" .
All this is always I M H O

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #157 of 318 Old 05-03-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I have always appreciated your humble opinion and even though I do not own a Sharp YET, I plan on getting one later this summer. As much as I like the 80LE632 I find that it's a bit out of my price range and a 70 would actually fill the bill nicely since I'm replacing a Sony 60A300, which still works fine and has very nice PQ IMO. I don't mind paying the extra couple $$ for the 847 but I have always researched the old bang for the buck feature. I really don't understand Sharp offering the 745 and the 847, not even from a marketing standpoint. Now I haven't seen the two sets in a showroom together and if the 847 looks cooler (eye of the beholder) that would be enough to sway me. I agree with you that the concept of full array lighting being better than edge lit makes sense but perhaps (I hope) the edge lit version for 2012 has eliminated the flashlights and screen uniformity problems. I'll wait to see a couple of serious professional reviews from Chad and a few others. I don't care about slimness or energy use or heat. It's all about the PQ for me. I really appreciate all of your comments in the various Sharp threads. Keep it up please.
post #158 of 318 Old 05-05-2012, 03:22 PM

This is why I hate the auto-dimming "feature": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-51gUXn6v4

Sent this to Sharp's customer service, hopefully they'll come out with a way to disable this. One of my only complaints about this TV.
post #159 of 318 Old 05-06-2012, 02:15 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for 3d glasses for the 745u? I've seen some advertised that don't work with the 745. And haven't found a good recommendation anywhere. I know the Sharp AN-3DG20-B work, but was hoping to not have to pay $90 when others are around $40.
post #160 of 318 Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 PM

I'm looking for more 3D glasses too. I got 2 pairs of Sharp glasses with the TV, they work although there is a bit of ghosting. Wondering if there are other glasses for this TV with less ghosting- I still like this better than the passive system which makes the picture look like a CRT, and I've never seen a 3D picture in theaters completely ghost-free either.
post #161 of 318 Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 AM

Earlier in the thread, people were reporting good success with the Sony PS3 glasses. You can find them around $50.
post #162 of 318 Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

I finally have time to calibrate my 70LE745U using Disney WOW disc last Sunday during the day (daylight), then a quick re-calibrate/confirmation of the set late last night (normal dim ambient light). I mainly use this TV for 99% DirecTV/1% movie. Therefore, I'm using the Standard picture mode instead of the Movie mode. Also, I found out these setting could be +/-3 depends on your personal preference & your viewing environment too! So keep this in mind when you are using it on yours!

(I might try to do a calibration in Movie mode when I have more time later on. Also, please note when watch regular TV, color space/accuracy varies from station to station!!)

Here's my setting for those who want to give it a try themselves.

Standard mode

Blacklight: 3 (this really is a personal preference IMO. it depends on how bright you want your TV is, or how bright is your viewing environment. keep it low or you'll be hurting your black level performance.)

Contrast: +27 (in my family room, I see it swing between +33/day to +23/night, so I settled somewhere in between on mine)

Brightness: +4 (again, in my house, depends on the time of the day, it's from -1 ~ +5, but I chose the high side so I know I won't be losing any dark area/black subtle details when watch a dark film.)

Color: +12 (at first, I was really surprised with the high color & tint numbers! However, I've triple checked it on 3 different time of the day. I was only using the "blue filter" method. I'm sure a Pro using a color meter in the 10 point CMS menu will result in more accurate color. But this is as best as I could get w/out a real color meter & software.)

Tint: +9 (see above)

Sharpness: +3 (I would say +1 ~ +3 is fine depends on your taste)

Color Temp: Medium

Motion Enhancement: OFF

Active Contrast: OFF

Gamma Adjustment: 0

Film Mode: OFF

DNR: Auto

Have fun.

Thanks for the setup cues, *These are the best settings I have found for the 60LE745, and I have been on mission with this TV. *Anything is better than the "Soap Opera" effect this tv loves coming out of the box.
post #163 of 318 Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 AM

These glasses DO NOT work with the LC-60LE745.

Amazon has these glasses listed as "3d glasses for Sharp Aquos 3d TVs". For under $40 I jumped. Got two pair and neither would sync. Tried different source software and hardware, no help. Took glasses to Pacific Sales where I purchased the TV and they did not work on the demo 60LE745 either. They did work fine on other brands. They also worked on the Elite store demo as well so the claim the they work on Sharp 3d TVs is partially true. Went with the Sharp AN3DG20B glasses now around $50 on Amazon. They work great, well as great as the LE745 will allow. Suffering with the ghost problems everyone else has with this TV.
post #164 of 318 Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_energy View Post

Does anyone have a recommendation for 3d glasses for the 745u? I've seen some advertised that don't work with the 745. And haven't found a good recommendation anywhere. I know the Sharp AN-3DG20-B work, but was hoping to not have to pay $90 when others are around $40.

You can get those AN-3DG20's on Amazon with Prime for under $60 / pair. They are very nice. We've bought 3 pairs from amazon, and 2 came with the TV. No regrets. ( 847 user )
post #165 of 318 Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM

I bought 2 pairs of the Revena Platinum glasses at Frys, they do sync but the ghosting is terrible on Captain America with them, the subtitle style text is frequently unreadable, The funny part is they looked great with the demo reel playing on the 7450u at the store. Anyone else having issues? any suggestions? would different glasses work better?
post #166 of 318 Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 PM

First post, It's a long one. I hope I'm not being a goober.

I took delivery of a lc-60le745u a couple weeks ago. I have not seen a huge amount of opinions on this model yet so i thought I'd offer my $.02. This set is replacing an ancient toshiba 55hx70 crt based 1080i rptv. It's so old it doesn't have hdmi, just component for HD. Obviously, the Sharp is worlds beyond it in every way. I do have 2 other lcd TVs so I'm not a complete noob in the flatscreen realm, just almost.

I have been reading about DSE and clouding and all the other problems I might have (but had no idea about until recently) but as yet have not had the time to do any real testing. I need to learn way more about what I am looking for to offer a review near the level common on this forum. I do have a couple comments on the viewing experience from the averge Joe's viewpoint, though.

Overall, the TV looks very good. The out of the box torch mode is hideous but can be dialed in to an acceptable state in a few minutes. after a couple weeks of tweaking I can say that I am quite happy with it. 3d, not so much. Lots of ghosting.

I am having an issue with sound, however. I am using an older surround processor that does not have hdmi pass through so I am running all the sound via hdmi into the tv and back out the toslink to the processor. trying to run sound direct to the processor from the cable box or bd player and video only to the tv resulted in out of sync audio due to TV processing lag, so here I am.

All of the audio settings in all the devices must be set up correctly to get 5.1 passed into and out of the tv into the SS processor. If anything is wrong you get lousy downsampled PCM stereo so I have at least managed to get decent 5.1 audio out of the SS device in proper sync. The problem is that occasionally it just goes away. All audio is lost. Usually this happens when the source is changing from dolby 5.1 digital to pcm like when there is a commercial or something. The only way to get the audio back is to switch the hdmi input on the tv to another input and then back again. The problem appears to be a negotiation issue between the (SA 8300) cable box and the TV. I have good quality hdmi cables. Any ideas?
post #167 of 318 Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmrm View Post

First post, It's a long one. I hope I'm not being a goober.

I took delivery of a lc-60le745u a couple weeks ago. I have not seen a huge amount of opinions on this model yet so i thought I'd offer my $.02. This set is replacing an ancient toshiba 55hx70 crt based 1080i rptv. It's so old it doesn't have hdmi, just component for HD. Obviously, the Sharp is worlds beyond it in every way. I do have 2 other lcd TVs so I'm not a complete noob in the flatscreen realm, just almost.

I have been reading about DSE and clouding and all the other problems I might have (but had no idea about until recently) but as yet have not had the time to do any real testing. I need to learn way more about what I am looking for to offer a review near the level common on this forum. I do have a couple comments on the viewing experience from the averge Joe's viewpoint, though.

Overall, the TV looks very good. The out of the box torch mode is hideous but can be dialed in to an acceptable state in a few minutes. after a couple weeks of tweaking I can say that I am quite happy with it. 3d, not so much. Lots of ghosting.

I am having an issue with sound, however. I am using an older surround processor that does not have hdmi pass through so I am running all the sound via hdmi into the tv and back out the toslink to the processor. trying to run sound direct to the processor from the cable box or bd player and video only to the tv resulted in out of sync audio due to TV processing lag, so here I am.

All of the audio settings in all the devices must be set up correctly to get 5.1 passed into and out of the tv into the SS processor. If anything is wrong you get lousy downsampled PCM stereo so I have at least managed to get decent 5.1 audio out of the SS device in proper sync. The problem is that occasionally it just goes away. All audio is lost. Usually this happens when the source is changing from dolby 5.1 digital to pcm like when there is a commercial or something. The only way to get the audio back is to switch the hdmi input on the tv to another input and then back again. The problem appears to be a negotiation issue between the (SA 8300) cable box and the TV. I have good quality hdmi cables. Any ideas?

not what you want to hear but a New AVR that has HDMI 1.4

Mike

post #168 of 318 Old 05-14-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

Can the auto dimming "feature" complained about in this thread be disabled on the 847?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #169 of 318 Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 AM

I knew someone would have to say it. :-)

If my budget allowed for that it would already have been done. Any other ideas>
post #170 of 318 Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM

What is a good price for a Sharp LC-60LE745U with 5 hours on it, otherwise new? I went with a projector and 120" screen in my media room instead of the Sharp, so I am wondering what I should sell it for.
post #171 of 318 Old 05-14-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron Mike View Post

What is a good price for a Sharp LC-60LE745U with 5 hours on it, otherwise new? I went with a projector and 120" screen in my media room instead of the Sharp, so I am wondering what I should sell it for.

add the Sharp extended warranty to the unit & sell for what you paid for it .. the selling point would be the 4 year 3 month fully transferable warranty
that way both you & the buyer will sleep at night knowing no one got screwed

Mike

post #172 of 318 Old 05-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

add the Sharp extended warranty to the unit & sell for what you paid for it .. the selling point would be the 4 year 3 month fully transferable warranty
that way both you & the buyer will sleep at night knowing no one got screwed

It's a brand new TV, so I'll sleep fine and it has a warranty. I have it listed for $1050, which is a substantial discount from new.
post #173 of 318 Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Where are you located? Ah, Texas. Would cost me a fortune to 14467.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron Mike View Post

It's a brand new TV, so I'll sleep fine and it has a warranty. I have it listed for $1050, which is a substantial discount from new.

post #174 of 318 Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

Where are you located? Ah, Texas. Would cost me a fortune to 14467.

Not sure what it would cost, I can measure the box and give you an estimate if you are interested. It's listed in the classified section here.
post #175 of 318 Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
As far as I can detect, the only differences between the 745 and 640 are:
Note: I am comparing the 60" sets.

1. 745 has 3D

2. 745 includes and extra speaker (sub) and has 35 watts vs 20 for the 640.
Anybody listen for real world difference between the two?

3. 745 listed as 8,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio vs 4,000,000:1 for the 640.
What can the 8 vs. 4 million be attributed to? How would this affect visuals?

Is this it? Any other differences?
Same matte screen on each? Does either have a swivel stand?

Thanks, Frank
post #176 of 318 Old 05-16-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Can the auto dimming "feature" complained about in this thread be disabled on the 847?

Bump.

?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #177 of 318 Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
If you're referring to OPC, then yes it can be disabled.
from the 745 manual:
OPC Setting
Automatically adjusts the brightness of the screen.
Off: The brightness is fi xed at the value set in "Backlight".
On: Automatically adjusts.
On: Display: Displays the OPC effect on the screen while
adjusting the brightness of the screen.
When set to "On", the Optical Picture Control (OPC)
senses the surrounding light and automatically adjusts
the backlight brightness. Make sure nothing obstructs
the OPC sensor, which could affect its ability to sense
surrounding light.
When set to "On: Display", OPC effect displays on the
screen while the OPC adjusts the screen brightness.
post #178 of 318 Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 AM

There's an additional "feature" that dims the backlight when the picture goes to black. Turning OPC and Active Contrast off do not disable it. Here is a video I shot of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-51gUXn6v4

I was emailing Sharp a couple weeks ago about this, sent them a link to this video but haven't heard back from them yet. Might have to ask them again soon if they've forwarded it to those responsible. (They initially told me to turn off OPC and Active Contrast, but again those don't affect this.)
post #179 of 318 Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Is your black level set correctly using a setup disc? I'm wondering if you dropped brightness down a click or two, might you minimize it. The video does show the dimming. Aside from OPC and active contrast, I don't see any other controls that can help. Are you in game mode? That modes eliminates the most processing, so if you see it on that mode, you're probably stuck with it.
Is Power saving turned off also?
Best,
jeff
post #180 of 318 Old 05-17-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had this TV for about a week now and I'm getting video lag , I have a Dish VIP-622 and a Denon AVR-887, is there anything I can do about this. Had no lag on my old SXRD
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Aquos 60 Le847 Series 3d Led Black Flat Panel Hdtv With Quad Pixel Plus 2 Panel Edge Lit Led Backlig , Sharp Aquos Lc60le745u 60 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv , Sharp Lc70c7450 Lc 70c7450 Lc 70c7450 Lc70c7450 70 1080p Led 3d Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page