Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE745U & LC-70LE745U Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 318 Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the LC-70LE745 for about 2 weeks now, and I have taken calibration settings from anywhere I can find them. I have also used my own calibration tools to fine tune this picture. Today, I saw that CNET did not give this set favorable reviews.
I was a little disappointed with David's write-up although he is right 99.9% of the time. This TV is not an easy set to work with. It does take time and efford to get to where your OK with the picture. All the modes except "movie" are not great, but if you start in movie play with the CMS and the grey scale you can get the picture pretty nice. I would say this TV has a far better picture than my L75-A91 Laservue had. The blacks do go grey at times and the off angle viewing is really bad. The "flashlight effect" is apparent at times but you just have to learn to ignore it It's only there when the screen goes black. I wish CNET would have loved this TV , but they didn't...so that only means....that there will be a new set in the future. For now though, I like the picture I finally got to and will enjoy it for how ever long I have it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 318 Old 05-24-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDCD View Post

I have had the LC-70LE745 for about 2 weeks now, and I have taken calibration settings from anywhere I can find them. I have also used my own calibration tools to fine tune this picture. Today, I saw that CNET did not give this set favorable reviews.
I was a little disappointed with David's write-up although he is right 99.9% of the time. This TV is not an easy set to work with. It does take time and efford to get to where your OK with the picture. All the modes except "movie" are not great, but if you start in movie play with the CMS and the grey scale you can get the picture pretty nice. I would say this TV has a far better picture than my L75-A91 Laservue had. The blacks do go grey at times and the off angle viewing is really bad. The "flashlight effect" is apparent at times but you just have to learn to ignore it It's only there when the screen goes black. I wish CNET would have loved this TV , but they didn't...so that only means....that there will be a new set in the future. For now though, I like the picture I finally got to and will enjoy it for how ever long I have it.

What setting are you using? I set it to movie mode but could not get favorable black level performance.
post #183 of 318 Old 06-17-2012, 12:50 AM

Any updates from anyone? I really want to order one of these, I can get it for $2299 shipped.
post #184 of 318 Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 148
One quick question. Other than being thinner, is there any advantage with the 745 over the 735?
post #185 of 318 Old 06-26-2012, 09:59 PM

I'm looking pretty intently at the 60" version of this TV.
However, one of the wife's requirements for a new television purchase is that it has Pandora on it.
I visited the local best buy hoping to check out the available smart applications however this best buy did not have a functional internet connection and I could not see the available VUDU applications.

I'm interested in knowing if Pandora is one of the smart TV applications available for this set. I've heard conflicting reports from CNET and other sites.
post #186 of 318 Old 07-04-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhsynd View Post

I'm looking pretty intently at the 60" version of this TV.
However, one of the wife's requirements for a new television purchase is that it has Pandora on it.
I visited the local best buy hoping to check out the available smart applications however this best buy did not have a functional internet connection and I could not see the available VUDU applications.
I'm interested in knowing if Pandora is one of the smart TV applications available for this set. I've heard conflicting reports from CNET and other sites.

I had an lc-60le745u which I replace it with an lc-60le847u and it did not came with pandora app. I bough a panasonic 210 3d blu ray and it does have pandora and a bunch of other app not carry by sharp smart tv. I have to say that watching the showroom at pc-richard and setting my at home the image is just stunning. I put the sharp 847 right up witht he Samsung 8000 series in term of picture. I just saw Pirates of the Caribbean 4 on 3D on HBO and it blew me away. The only thing missing was steam coming out of the tv. smile.gif
post #187 of 318 Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM

Thanks Sharployal!

I appreciate the feedback. I think its going to be a deal breaker for my situation. But I do agree the TV is a beautiful picture.
post #188 of 318 Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Just picked up this TV. I have a problem watching movies on my 2009 Macbook pro (Well, using that as the source).

The problem is that the video looks like its in fast forward, though it is not because the lips sync up perfectly with the sound.

Is there some setting I am missing, just a bad source I need to fix?

When an episode of Walker Texas Ranger was aired in France, the French surrendered to Chuck Norris just to be on the safe side.

XBL:MileHighMurder
PSN:SayH1ToYourMom
post #189 of 318 Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 AM

I purchased a version of the 70" set at Fry's and every now and then the set will shut itself off and come back on.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else have this problem?

J. Michael Henry

post #190 of 318 Old 08-16-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You might check the auto power saving features and turn them all off, if you've not already. I have seen some posts about this issue in some of the other sharps, with no clear diagnosis or fix.
post #191 of 318 Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 AM

Hello All -
Newbie here so please be nice! LOL. I have had the LC70LE745U for a few weeks now and love it. I have a small daughter and would her to be able to Skype with her grandparents and was wondering if anyone had a recomendation for a webcam. The only one I have found that definitely says it will work with my TV is the Freetalk 7191 but I didnt know if there was a better/cheaper option or if anyone had any thoughts on the Freetalk cam. Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks All!
post #192 of 318 Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Time to replace my aging 57" CRT RPTV (Hitachi 57S500).

I have been looking at the Sharps for a couple of months.
The first in my research was the 70LE640. Looked OK, but then I figured "Why not take a look at the 80LE632?"
I really wanted to like the 80" but while watching one, I noticed that the in focus plane was stunning, but the out of focus plane was so grainy as to be distracting to me. My wife said she didn't like it either.
I am not a fan of 3D, so I hadn't yet considered the 745.
I started looking at 65" plasmas instead. The picture was quite good but I was concerned about the reflective screen. While I can have total light control for movies and such, I prefer some lights on for more casual viewing and knew that my overhead lighting, even when dimmed would be a problem. Also, the amount of heat given off would have been a concern in summer as the basement room does not have AC.
So, I started looking at the 745. While I don't care about 3D (and actually don't like it in the theater) I noticed that the PQ of the 745 was noticeably better than the 640.

After much auditioning, I will purchase a 70LE745 tonight from a local AV store.

I will report back after it has been in use for a bit.

Thanks for all the input,

TheOtherChris
post #193 of 318 Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Ok going for broke here...

I realize not many have this set AND have a jailbroken Apple TV that use it to watch hi-def MKV's...but here goes...

When I play this content - only on this TV - I get a LOT of jittering...

I have tried multiple Apple TVs on many different sets but the problem persists and it really bothers me.

None of my other TVs have this issue, as well as my neighbor's projector (We all have these jailbroken Apple TVs)

I have tried all the settings in the menu and nothing has really helped. I have tried plugging into different HDMI ports - no better...

Anyone else out there have this issue?

Again, it only jitters when I play a hi-def MKV file from a jailbroken Apple TV...

Thanks.

J. Michael Henry

post #194 of 318 Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Picked up the 60" version of this set a couple weeks ago and I've been quite impressed so far.

I've read the cons here and on other sites and of all of them the only thing I really have an issue with is the crosstalk ghosting on extreme foreground and background objects in 3D... but from what I've read that's more "all LCD TVs" and some are better than others and some are worse but none are crosstalk free?

To better explain where I'm coming from, we watch a good variety of things via DirecTV, Xbox 360 and PS3. Lots of football, some HD DVDs and Blurays, tons of kids cartoons with a 3 year old too. This is for a media room/playroom and downstairs we still have a 46" Sony CCFL back lit 60Hz 1080p LCD TV. Also, I've calibrated this new Sharp set using the AVS Forum Calibration disc.

Pros:
  • Our room is fairly well controlled lighting but I am extremely picky about reflections. It pisses me off so much how just about every manufacturer out there makes mirrors that double as TVs. While this set is more reflective than my old Sony set it is way more diffuse than every major brand out there so from the get go if this TV fit my needs, had a decent sale, and produced a good picture it was going to be the winner. It would have had to be an awful performer for me to go with another brand's glossy screen instead. So, big points to Sharp for this because in our 13'x19' room with two windows (with pull down room darkening shades used most of the time), overhead ceiling fan dome light and a lamp it does extremely well.
  • The picture is fantastic once I used the AVS Forum calibration disc. Skin tones, colors, sharpness and clarity are all as good as my 46" Sony which has always impressed me over most HDTVs I see at friends and family's houses and over cheap sets like the 37" Dynex we rarely use in the bedroom. Once out of torch mode with the settings I'll share below it really is easy on the eyes and very immersive and clear. Whites are nice without being clipped and dark detail is really good to my eye, doesn't seem like it's crushing shadows at all, even on all black jerseys for instance.
  • The TV is nice and thin and the non-glossy bezel is not distracting at all. Not a super thin bezel unfortunately but it's not bad.
  • Built in wifi is nice for having the TV check automatic firmware updates. The out of the box update I did went smoothly.

Cons:
  • Biggest issue I have like I mentioned already is the crosstalk ghosting of extreme foreground and background objects in 3D video, including most on screen graphics during sports which is kind of annoying. I'm really hoping a future firmware update can address this and that it isn't a limitation of the panel itself.
  • Not thrilled it is active shutter. I really wanted to like a big Vizio or LG panel for passive glasses but going back to my biggest point, the Vizio and LG sets were all just too glossy.

Not applicable:

• Audio - I do video switching through a receiver for surround so the TV doesn't get fed audio over the HDMI cable anyway.
  • Internet apps - That's why I have a laptop.

Here are my settings to try, keep in mind my viewing habits listed above.
  • Standard mode
  • OPC: Off
  • Backlight: 3
  • Contrast: +31
  • Brightness: -7 (Blacks were too gray at -3)
  • Color: +6 (Not done with a tint filter, but really felt reds were too strong with a higher setting)
  • Tint: +12 (see above about strong reds)
  • Sharpness: +5
  • Color Temp: Middle
  • Motion Enhancement: 120Hz High (not sure why folks have a problem with this, I watch a lot of football and everything looks smooth to me)
  • Active Contrast: OFF
  • Gamma Adjustment: 0
  • Film Mode: OFF
  • DNR: Auto

In the end I'm impressed enough by the picture quality that it surprises me reading so many negative reviews. I guess the biggest complaint here is the backlight issue but I've really yet to catch that issue much, though the one thing we don't watch a lot of is darker scene movies so far.

If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic...
post #195 of 318 Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Henry View Post

Ok going for broke here...
I realize not many have this set AND have a jailbroken Apple TV that use it to watch hi-def MKV's...but here goes...
When I play this content - only on this TV - I get a LOT of jittering...
I have tried multiple Apple TVs on many different sets but the problem persists and it really bothers me.
None of my other TVs have this issue, as well as my neighbor's projector (We all have these jailbroken Apple TVs)
I have tried all the settings in the menu and nothing has really helped. I have tried plugging into different HDMI ports - no better...
Anyone else out there have this issue?
Again, it only jitters when I play a hi-def MKV file from a jailbroken Apple TV...
Thanks.

A quick update - I changed the video setting to GAME - which effectively turns off all motion processing...now streaming is perfect.

J. Michael Henry

post #196 of 318 Old 09-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Liked: 14
I've kept mine on GAME since the week I got it- all other modes seem to force at least some of the "soap opera effect" on it, and menu screens from HD-DVDs look jittery on every other mode too. Still wish they would include an option to turn off that annoying auto-dimming.

But one good thing- is it just me, or does there seem to be a LOT less 'flashlighting' or whatever you want to call it (brighter than normal spots on dark scenes) ever since the last firmware update a few weeks ago? It's still there, but MUCH less annoying than it was before.
post #197 of 318 Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post

I've kept mine on GAME since the week I got it- all other modes seem to force at least some of the "soap opera effect" on it, and menu screens from HD-DVDs look jittery on every other mode too. Still wish they would include an option to turn off that annoying auto-dimming.
But one good thing- is it just me, or does there seem to be a LOT less 'flashlighting' or whatever you want to call it (brighter than normal spots on dark scenes) ever since the last firmware update a few weeks ago? It's still there, but MUCH less annoying than it was before.

I can't compare to what it was like prior to the most recent firmware because that was the first thing I did after unboxing my set a couple weeks ago. However, I will say that the flashlighting and clouding on this set is surprisingly minimal. One thing I forgot to note in my review above I guess. I went through a few Sony 46" sets back in the day when I purchased the one listed in my review and finally found one that was tolerable. This new Sharp is way better than even that one, so I was pretty impressed with that.

If ignorance is bliss, going to Clemson must be orgasmic...
post #198 of 318 Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 AM

I have had my 70" for nearly a month.
ISF calibration has not been done yet.
I like the size of the screen and the viewing angle is great.
Turned off "Film" mode and Noise reduction. For BD content I leave the motion enhancement to LOW. For DTV I turn it off.
I am MOSTLY happy with the picture. When watching BD content that is bright (especially PIXAR) the picture is very good.
There is clouding along the bottom and left side of the screen that is quite distracting in darker scenes.
In lighter scenes, the clouding is less noticeable except when panning and then it looks like a dusty screen.
I have also had one instance of the TV shutting off and on quickly like a reboot.

I have called the dealer and they will come out to look at it next week.
post #199 of 318 Old 10-03-2012, 12:11 PM

The dealer let me audition one that he had had for a week on display. He even moved it into the dark theater room so I could look for clouding.
There was a LITTLE unevenness but it was only noticeable on a black screen.
He offered to swap for my panel if I thought that would make me a happy customer. (I sure am glad I bought local)
He delivered it yesterday and even took my old one off the wall and put the new one up.

I readjusted all of my settings and I LOVE this set with no regrets.
I will have an ISF calibration done in about a month, but even my wife loves the picture.
post #200 of 318 Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 PM

As a new 745 Series owner, just wanted to throw in my two cents...

-Picture quality is great.
-Decided on the 70" model.
-Currently the owner of 3 plasmas; the gap has certainly shortened.
-Couldn't beat the price per inch value of the LCD.
-$2299 from my local retailer.
-3D picture is great
-Like most others, I tend to shut off most of the picture effect options on the settings.

Anyone who knocks these Aquos panels simply doesn't know any better.
post #201 of 318 Old 10-16-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone who had the fast forward problem I did:

This set will stream anything you throw at it at the speed you are throwing at it, without any correction. That means that when a computer source is moving at 60hz, your picture will too as it makes it look like its in fast forward. The way to correct is to to stream at half speed. I set the refresh rate of the second display to 30hz and it effectively cured that problem. Once I get an HTPC it wont matter, but for OSX which isn't designed as a media OS this is an OK solution.

When an episode of Walker Texas Ranger was aired in France, the French surrendered to Chuck Norris just to be on the safe side.

XBL:MileHighMurder
PSN:SayH1ToYourMom
post #202 of 318 Old 10-17-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
just ordered a 70LE74520B today...

any idea how this set differs from the 745U...?
post #203 of 318 Old 10-21-2012, 11:15 PM

Brand new member here! I've had the 60" model since late May and I love this set. My only problem is that for sometimes the screen blinks. It'll go dark like I turned it off for 1-2 secs then come back on with the input setting in the upper right corner, like when you change inputs. Has anyone had this problem or heard of it? It doesn't matter what input its on, whether its my PS3, 360 or DVR. Sometimes it'll go for a day or so any not do it, then do it a few times with in an hour. The audio also cuts out as I'm running all audio thru HDMI and using an optical out to a receiver (which I need to replace as the HDMI passthru is video only and it seems that all but one digital input has gone kaput). I've checked the connection on each device on both ends of the HDMI and they are fine. They are using all the same brand cable that I bought from Amazon (BlueRigger High Speed HDMI). Unless I got some cables from a bad batch, I don't see how all of them could cause the same issue. I have turned all the auto power stuff off and made sure that its all off as well. Other than that I've exhausted all ideas other than calling up Sharp and talking to a CSR and hoping that theres not a bad board or something in there
post #204 of 318 Old 10-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanSnatcher View Post

Brand new member here! I've had the 60" model since late May and I love this set. My only problem is that for sometimes the screen blinks. It'll go dark like I turned it off for 1-2 secs then come back on with the input setting in the upper right corner, like when you change inputs. Has anyone had this problem or heard of it? It doesn't matter what input its on, whether its my PS3, 360 or DVR. Sometimes it'll go for a day or so any not do it, then do it a few times with in an hour. The audio also cuts out as I'm running all audio thru HDMI and using an optical out to a receiver (which I need to replace as the HDMI passthru is video only and it seems that all but one digital input has gone kaput). I've checked the connection on each device on both ends of the HDMI and they are fine. They are using all the same brand cable that I bought from Amazon (BlueRigger High Speed HDMI). Unless I got some cables from a bad batch, I don't see how all of them could cause the same issue. I have turned all the auto power stuff off and made sure that its all off as well. Other than that I've exhausted all ideas other than calling up Sharp and talking to a CSR and hoping that theres not a bad board or something in there

This board is filled with similar experiences.
The first thing to try is to unplug the set for 5 minutes.
It might be related to an online update.
Some of us have had good luck with that.
Good luck!
post #205 of 318 Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post

This board is filled with similar experiences.
The first thing to try is to unplug the set for 5 minutes.
It might be related to an online update.
Some of us have had good luck with that.
Good luck!

I'll have to try that about unplugging next time it gets really bad. I guess its something with the parts or software used in these models...?

I do know that there was an update earlier tonight that I installed.
post #206 of 318 Old 10-22-2012, 06:08 AM

I get it too on the 70" model...haven't done anything about it except call them and they want me to reset the TV back to factory...

Since I have it set for calibration this weekend I have to do it ASAP...

I hope it fixes the problem - I love this TV!

J. Michael Henry

post #207 of 318 Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

just ordered a 70LE74520B today...
any idea how this set differs from the 745U...?

i did not buy this set at hh gregg...but their site is the only place i can find info on it

could this be an hh gregg specific model...?
post #208 of 318 Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post

i did not buy this set at hh gregg...but their site is the only place i can find info on it
could this be an hh gregg specific model...?
Usually a letter after the part number indicates that the item has something bundled with it. Looks like all the sets are the same, but the 3D glasses might be generic active glasses that work with the Sharp panels instead of the OEM specs.

http://www.hhgregg.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CompareProductsDisplay?storeId=10154&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&catentryId=141544&catentryId=95551&catentryId=86019
post #209 of 318 Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 AM

Has anyone been able to get the ARC (Audio Return Channel) working?

I have a Denon 1611 receiver (2 years old) - says it supports ARC but I can't figure it out....grrrrr

J. Michael Henry

post #210 of 318 Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Henry View Post

Has anyone been able to get the ARC (Audio Return Channel) working?
I have a receiver (2 years old) - says it supports ARC but I can't figure it out....grrrrr

Did you enable ARC on the TV and your receiver? HDMI control needs to be on for your Denon to enable ARC.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Aquos 60 Le847 Series 3d Led Black Flat Panel Hdtv With Quad Pixel Plus 2 Panel Edge Lit Led Backlig , Sharp Aquos Lc60le745u 60 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv , Sharp Lc70c7450 Lc 70c7450 Lc 70c7450 Lc70c7450 70 1080p Led 3d Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page