Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2661 Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Where did you see that I'm never in your area? I was just there last month.

I Didn't see Long Island listed on your site. I guess I missed it.

Dam, I would love to have you cal my set if possible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2661 Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

htwaits has a few threads on calibrators
one has links to the Calibrators themselves
Hope this helps

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=712929

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586330

Thanks alot Guys! I'll give this a read later, hopefully I can get Chad to cal my set to my room.

post #543 of 2661 Old 05-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 12
I just got off the the phone with an experienced Sharp Rep from Sharp. He stated to me that Costco is a good place to buy these TV's because you get a 2 year warranty, plus if you use your AMEX card, they double it. I called AMEX and it is true. You will be getting a 4 year warranty once you register your TV.

1. The main difference is that the AQUAMOTION 480, instead of the AQUAMOTION 240. Everything else is the same.
2. You get two high end pair of rechargable 3D glasses with the model 70C8470U, along with a 4 year warranty on them as well. If one or both ever go out, you will get a replacement.

Sharp sells and sends these TVs directly to Costco on a pallet in white boxes, unlike the other merchants which is not in a white box, hence different model numbers. Sharp also stated to me that they make these models special for Costco and Sams club. Costco is an Authorized Dealer of Sharp. You wont find this on any web site, but when I called them up, they are listed as one of Sharp's vendors and top high end sellers.

Well hearing all this, I have decided to go with Costco. I can save on the 3.5-5% shipping insurance charge that everyone charges, get two free 3D glasses and a 4 year warrnaty incuding AQUAMOTION 480.

BTW: I saw two of these TV's side by side and the difference in AQUAMOTION does make a difference in playing games and watching a fast pace sport like soccer. I couldn't beleive it with my own eyes. Costco has them on Demo, side by side.
IM SOLD AND PICKING ONE UP TONIGHT!!

Even if I still have a broken TV from ALL TIME TV's Inc still in my garage. I told them to take it, but they refuse to email or call me!
Anyone want a free TV? LOL
post #544 of 2661 Old 05-18-2012, 03:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjre1 View Post

I just got off the the phone with an experienced Sharp Rep from Sharp. He stated to me that Costco is a good place to buy these TV's because you get a 2 year warranty, plus if you use your AMEX card, they double it. I called AMEX and it is true. You will be getting a 4 year warranty once you register your TV.

1. The main difference is that the AQUAMOTION 480, instead of the AQUAMOTION 240. Everything else is the same.
2. You get two high end pair of rechargable 3D glasses with the model 70C8470U, along with a 4 year warranty on them as well. If one or both ever go out, you will get a replacement.

Sharp sells and sends these TVs directly to Costco on a pallet in white boxes, unlike the other merchants which is not in a white box, hence different model numbers. Sharp also stated to me that they make these models special for Costco and Sams club. Costco is an Authorized Dealer of Sharp. You wont find this on any web site, but when I called them up, they are listed as one of Sharp's vendors and top high end sellers.

Well hearing all this, I have decided to go with Costco. I can save on the 3.5-5% shipping insurance charge that everyone charges, get two free 3D glasses and a 4 year warrnaty incuding AQUAMOTION 480.

BTW: I saw two of these TV's side by side and the difference in AQUAMOTION does make a difference in playing games and watching a fast pace sport like soccer. I couldn't beleive it with my own eyes. Costco has them on Demo, side by side.
IM SOLD AND PICKING ONE UP TONIGHT!!

Even if I still have a broken TV from ALL TIME TV's Inc still in my garage. I told them to take it, but they refuse to email or call me!
Anyone want a free TV? LOL

I also took Costco's additional three-year warranty through Square-trade.

Dave
post #545 of 2661 Old 05-18-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Where did you see that I'm never in your area? I was just there last month.

Do you know any calibrator that work in Hawaii?

Dave
post #546 of 2661 Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 PM

does anyone have the box dimensions of the 60LE847U?

Thanks
post #547 of 2661 Old 05-18-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 536
post #548 of 2661 Old 05-18-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

^^^ I am sure you can fly him out there

Chad can change planes here in SF & do my 632 80" on the way ....

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #549 of 2661 Old 05-18-2012, 10:44 PM

BTW, I just picked up the LC-70C8470U from Costco tonight and I could not be happier. OMG, this TV rocks and side by side comparison, the costco model is much better. I have to admit in motion was the buy for me.
NOTE: I do not work for Costco. I just signed up for a membership two months ago. I hated paying tax on this beast but I got it tonight, installed it and now as I write this, I am programming it. Awesome TV. WOW is all I can say.
post #550 of 2661 Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenrino View Post

I also took Costco's additional three-year warranty through Square-trade.

Then you are in great hands!!

My warranty is two years with Costco, then if you sign up for Aquos Advantage you get three more months added onto the warranty and if you use your Amex card on top of that, you get another 2 years warranty running after the Costco warrnty for free. AMEX offers to all their members, Purchase protection plan and warranty. Basically a 4.3 year warranty. Hell if your TV goes bad in 4 years, time to upgrade anyway. I do.
post #551 of 2661 Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:

^^^ I am sure you can fly him out there

Chris from Cleveland Plasma,
I wanted to take this time to say thank you for all your help. I was planning to buy the TV from you, but since Costco had the model that I really wanted and was down the street I went with them. I know I paid a little more, but got a 4 year warranty and I picked it up myself. I had a bad shipping experience as you saw in the pictures form another vendor, I could not go through this again and be sad with much heart ache.

I also wanted to say that your store is awesome from what I saw on the website and that you are totally have great prices and are a honest, professional person. If I need anything from you, I will consider you first. Thank you for your emails. I appreciate it.
post #552 of 2661 Old 05-19-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:

Then you are in great hands!!

My warranty is two years with Costco, then if you sign up for Aquos Advantage you get three more months added onto the warranty and if you use your Amex card on top of that, you get another 2 years warranty running after the Costco warrnty for free. AMEX offers to all their members, Purchase protection plan and warranty. Basically a 4.3 year warranty. Hell if your TV goes bad in 4 years, time to upgrade anyway. I do.

I also use my American Express card but it is my understanding that the American Express doubles the manufacturer warranty of one year making a total of two years and Cosco adds another year making it a total of three years. The additional three-year warranty I purchased makes a total of six years. I just upgraded from my 60" Sony after five years so I understand. However my Panasonic 50 inch TV died nearing the end of a six-year warranty I was given a $2500 credit towards a brand-new Sony LCD which was a much better TV and a huge upgrade.

Dave
post #553 of 2661 Old 05-19-2012, 07:13 AM

I just purchased the LC-60LE847U from Paul's TV. They had the best price and are always a pleasure to do business with. I also own the LC-70LE745U from amazon.com. When comparing the Serial Numbers, I notice that the 60" begins with a B, while the 70 has an "A." Does this have anything to do with A stock over B stock? It seems unusual that two 2012 TVs in the same collection, with the same owners manual, would have different letters. If anyone knows, please let me know.

I appreciate all of the info listed here. BTW- one vote here for the soap opera effect. Emmy Rossum couldn't look any better in PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.
post #554 of 2661 Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

I Didn't see Long I slando listed on your site. I guess I missed it.

Dam, I would love to have you cal my set if possible.

Chad is what I would call a National Touring Calibrator since he covers so many States.. he's not as active here on the West Coast as much but he's around you (other coast) a lot.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #555 of 2661 Old 05-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtv View Post

I just purchased the LC-60LE847U from Paul's TV. They had the best price and are always a pleasure to do business with. I also own the LC-70LE745U from amazon.com. When comparing the Serial Numbers, I notice that the 60" begins with a B, while the 70 has an "A." Does this have anything to do with A stock over B stock? It seems unusual that two 2012 TVs in the same collection, with the same owners manual, would have different letters. If anyone knows, please let me know.

I appreciate all of the info listed here. BTW- one vote here for the soap opera effect. Emmy Rossum couldn't look any better in PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

A and B refers to two things, what plant they are from and the model number is it. This is what I read in the past as from memory. I could be wrong because the internet is only 50% right. LOL.

Dont think that A is better than B. Also, note you are talking about two very different size and type of TV's here.You listed two competely different model numbers. The 847U model is a step above of the 745U model. I was also told by a Sharp engineer that the chips in the 847U is a second generation and dirrerent than the 745U model. 3D is better on the 847U than the 745U model, plus some other things are different.

NOTE: Series 7 TV is different than a series 8 TV. 8 series is an upgrade from series 7. Series 9 if Sharp ever releases this series, is differenet than the any other series. Series 9 will be very expensive $4,200.00+. I would never buy a series 9 for two reasons to close to an elite plasma. Also, way to close in price, I would always chose an elite plasma over Sharp series 9 for much better blacks, no clouding, different electronic EPROM chips, software and menu layout, etc. the elite plasma handles everything much better. Just research this yourself.

Every company always give the same manuals out for the same line up because the software, I.E. setup, features and menus are all the same in the same year and line up of products. Keep in the mind the things that change are the internal workings and chips of the TV's, which the manual has nothing to do with.
In my book and "A" is a better letter than a "B" like in school and places to eat. I always look for an "A" in everything. LOL.

Hope all this helps for everyone.
post #556 of 2661 Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM

Liked: 11
Different panel types, too
post #557 of 2661 Old 05-20-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptar15 View Post

Thanks

The size of the box is 69L, 44H, 9W, for all the 70 inches models.
The 60 inch might be several inches smaller, but not by much, since the foam pieces are 6-8 inches in height.

The box didnt fit in my large SUV becuase you CAN NOT lay it flat. Trust me, It states dont lay flat. I had to borrow my neighbors truck to stand it up.

So the height from top to bottom is 44 Inches, this is too tall for most SUV's.
DO NOT LAY FLAT!!
post #558 of 2661 Old 05-20-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGorman View Post

Different panel types, too

+1, for sure!!
post #559 of 2661 Old 05-20-2012, 05:45 PM

FYI: Pauls TV list the LC-70LE847U to have 30,000,000:1 Contrast. This is NOT correct at all. LC-70LE847U and LC-70C8470U both have the same contrast ratio of 10,000,000:1. I know this for a fact and I talked to a Sharp engineer level tier 2 and he stated that both TV's have the same contrast ratios.

See links below:

http://paulstv22.reachlocal.net/LED-...LC70LE847U.asp

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/Home...x?tech_specs=1
post #560 of 2661 Old 05-20-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptar15 View Post

Thanks

Just measured the box:
63x10x38 inches

I had to bring mine home laying flat. It seamed to make the trip just fine. I drove like a $2k TV was in the back.

To tho poster who warned against it, what is your reasoning? I can believe there is some increased risk of damage, but if you are careful, how much worse could it be than shipping by UPS?
post #561 of 2661 Old 05-20-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpenguin View Post

Just measured the box:
63x10x38 inches

I had to bring mine home laying flat. It seamed to make the trip just fine. I drove like a $2k TV was in the back.

To tho poster who warned against it, what is your reasoning? I can believe there is some increased risk of damage, but if you are careful, how much worse could it be than shipping by UPS?

the glass in the lens will break when laid down & transported , large glass panel can not take the repeated flexing when they are horizontal & they only have so many cycles of up & down before the fail , the larger the glass panel the less they can take the flexing & the less cycles of up/down before they fail. Even IF you get it home intact you have severely weakening of the Glass panels . Why anyone would want to save a few $bucks$ & transport a Display themselves when all the risk is on the owner over a delivery where all the risk is the trucker/carrier is beyond me .

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #562 of 2661 Old 05-20-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketpenguin View Post

Just measured the box:
63x10x38 inches

UPS, FEDEX and all the other shipping carriers, never lay this box flat. You simple can not lay this flat. Did you read the top of the box?

You will weaken the lens and glass material. It can not take a bounce in a truck. I dont care that you drove like a $2K TV in the back, it doesnt matter.

Once the TV heats up repeatly you will see the variation in contrast, color and the gamma will not be set right. Trust me on this. I know this very well, not only with experience or the hundreds of people that I talked to, but I am an Electronics/Computer engineer myself. I use to build electronics on the assembly lines before I moved up to a management position. so I know what happens to stuff once it leaves the factory. If the carriers do not stand this TV upright then damage will occur. Did you see my other post on page 17 and 18 with what happens to a TV when it is laid flat or hit. Check out the pictures that I posted. My POINT exactly.

Either way, I dont want to be negative, good luck with your TV. You have to treat these TV's like a baby that you love. You would put your baby in the rear of a bed upside down?? NO, I dont think so. You strap them into a seat upright. OK, I carried this one too far, but it was funny!!!
jconway1968 likes this.
post #563 of 2661 Old 05-20-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGorman View Post

Spent a couple more hours last night tinkering on settings. Still not content that I've taken as far as my skills and tools will allow. I want to run at least one more iteration. Some of the adjustment values are pegged at the limits, which I don't like...but maybe with some more work I can find some more quirks in the software that are hold me back.

Quirks...

After some frustration trying to adjust grayscale and gamma I discovered that the 10-point "positions" don't correlate to percentage luminance as I expected. That is, position 1 didn't affect the 10% luminance field, pos. 3 didn't affect 30%, etc.

I don't have the knowledge to measure this accurately, but the best I can determine is that the relationship is as follows:

Position 1 = 5% luminance (uncertain)
Position 2 = 15% luminance
Position 3 = 25% luminance
Position 4 = 35% luminance
Position 5 = 40% luminance
Position 6 = 50% luminance
Position 7 = 60% luminance
Position 8 = 70% luminance
Position 9 = 80% luminance
Position 10 = 95% luminance (uncertain)

This seems odd to me, but my experience is limited. Regardless, once I figured that out and created a new workflow in CalMAN to work with those levels I was able to make more predictable adjustments.

Also, the sharpness control introduces ridiculous amounts of fringing at any setting above +2.

so, without further blabbering...

----------------------------------------------------------------
Model: LC-70LE847U
AV Mode: Movie
DARK ROOM

OPC.......................OFF
Backlight ................+3
Contrast ................+37
Brightness...............+2
Color......................+19
Tint.......................+1
Sharpness...............-1
Gamut ....................Standard
Motion Enhance........240 Hz
Quad Pixel...............Advanced
Active Contrast........Off
Gamma...................+2
Film Mode...............OFF
Digital NR ................OFF

CMS
HUE
R.....-9
Y.....-1
G.....-16
C.....+5
B.....-22
M.....+3

SATURATION
R.....-1
Y.....-13
G.....-20
C.....-29
B.....+30
M.....-22

VALUE
R.....-8
Y.....+3
G.....+2
C.....0
B.....-18
M.....0

COLOR TEMP
POS.....R..........G..........B
1.......+30.......+30......-30
2.......+7.........-2........+5
3.......-1.........-4.........+2
4.......-10.......-13.......-11
5.......-15.......-16.......-18
6.......-17.......-19.......-25
7.......-16.......-21.......-27
8.......-15.......-19.......-28
9.......-12.......-20.......-30
10......-13.......-19.......-27
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The color temp adjustments correct the gamma curve to 2.2 when the gamma setting is at +2. I haven't done any testing to see what happens to the curve when the gamma setting is changed.

I also have not tested the motion enhancement settings to see how they affect things other than the obvious luminance change.

The backlight setting of +2 here results in about 24.7 fL, which is more than enough to my eyes in a dark room. It even works fine for non-critical viewing with a table lamp or two turned on.

This calibration lacks some of the drama and punch the earlier had. I suspect that is because the gamma hanged I made decreased the contrast in middle luminance values. I'm going to run the whole thing at least one more time and may drop the gamma a tick or two. My previous LCD need to run a relatively low gamma to come of black faster. Otherwise shadow details were lost. The Sharp has so much better low light performance (and covers more field of view so my eyes are better acclimated) that I think I may be happy with a more traditional gamma setting for the environment.

Dear CCGorman,

I have tried over 20 different settings for many others in this forums and in other forums that I am in and have read. I have to admit your settings are the very BEST!! Your settings which you have stated are the only ones that come close to real life. Thank you so much for posting this. I could of not made my TV out of the blue looking like this even if I spent hundreds of hours on this. There were so many settings to change.

Again, since you did all the work, I wanted to give props and a thumbs up fior your post. I replied so other can see what I have noticed with your settings.
post #564 of 2661 Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM

Has anyone has any experience with sears and their delivery process? I was approved for a card, and my one way of getting the set to my home is with delivery. The only other way is to put it in my van and i will not put it on its side in any way. I hope that sears delivery is a good one. sorry to hear of the problems one gentleman experienced with his set. Your hard earned money goes to a delivery company who will not "stand up" to issues created by themselves. does anyone know of warranty with a sears card? I need to check into this further. any help would be appreciated!
post #565 of 2661 Old 05-21-2012, 10:50 AM

Can anyone please tell me how to HARD RESET this TV? Thanks.
post #566 of 2661 Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dear CCGorman,

I have tried over 20 different settings for many others in this forums and in other forums that I am in and have read. I have to admit your settings are the very BEST!! Your settings which you have stated are the only ones that come close to real life. Thank you so much for posting this. I could of not made my TV out of the blue looking like this even if I spent hundreds of hours on this. There were so many settings to change.

Again, since you did all the work, I wanted to give props and a thumbs up fior your post. I replied so other can see what I have noticed with your settings.

Can you access all of THESE menus through the remote?

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #567 of 2661 Old 05-21-2012, 11:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

Absolutely yes. :-) it just takes a bit of time to step thru all of it.
post #568 of 2661 Old 05-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone know when the review will be up?

Quote:

Sounded like Chad has a busy schedule in the next few days. Sounded like it would be about a week before the review was up.

post #569 of 2661 Old 05-21-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

YES. Everything is right at your finger tips. It took me exactly 12 minutes to set it up. Happy playing
post #570 of 2661 Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:

UPS, FEDEX and all the other shipping carriers, never lay this box flat. You simple can not lay this flat. Did you read the top of the box?

Shippers abuse these things pretty badly. Most of the time big flat boxes are marked to keep them upright because when flat, it is too much of a temptation to stack things on top of it. Or step on it. At some point in the shipping process, I would bet that everyone's TV went down one or more conveyer belts while laying flat. You certainly wouldn't want them going down a conveyer belt standing up, it would be way to easy for the box to fall over.

I read the box top when I got it home . That 8x2 inch rectangle that says not to lay it flat is less than the size of the rectangle saying it is a 3D TV. The double arrows pointing up on the side are about 1" in size. Seems like Sharp wasn't all that concerned about it.

Quote:

You will weaken the lens and glass material. It can not take a bounce in a truck. I dont care that you drove like a $2K TV in the back, it doesnt matter.
TV upright then damage will occur. Did you see my other post on page 17 and 18 with what happens to a TV when it is laid flat or hit. Check out the pictures that I posted. My POINT exactly.

I saw your pictures of a box and set that were dropped. You didn't say it was merely laid flat. Dropping a box on a corner and carefully laying flat are not the same thing.

Before we get too carried away, I would like to point out that I am not advocating that shippers or people routinely transport these or any other TVs flat. There is a definite risk involved. For some, paying 15%-20% of the purchase price of the TV just so someone making minimum wage will deliver the TV two miles to your house from the store is not worth the money. I'm one of those people.

Frankly, I trust myself WAY more than I do the delivery person, and so far, in my long life, I've never been disappointed by doing something myself to save a couple hundred bucks. Maybe I live a charmed life .

By the way, page 9 of the manual has instructions for installing the included stand. The instructions explicitly show the TV laying FLAT on a cushioned surface while you perform the stand installation.

For the 80" model, page 79 has explicit instructions on how to build a work surface out of the shipping box on which you will lay the TV FLAT so that you can install the stand.

Laying the TV flat does not ruin it. Dropping it, while upright or flat, probably will ruin it .

Quote:

Either way, I dont want to be negative, good luck with your TV. ...

Thank you, my family is really enjoying our new set. I'm hoping you will enjoy yours too. They really are beautiful sets.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc70le847u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page