Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2661 Old 05-24-2012, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjre1 View Post

I have never seen a 8470U cloud, however, I have seen a regular 847U cloud, but not that bad. I know every TV will cloud a little (edge lighting characteristic).

Can you please do me a favor tell us what month it was manufactuered? Mine was March 2012, factory mexico. Box 455 out of 978 stack, pallet 76. Mine stated this on the box.

Mine actually is also March 2012. This may be obvious, but is there such a big difference between the 847 and 8470 - to the extent that one would normally have clouding (i.e. 847) and one wouldn't?

You guys have been really helpful! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2661 Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivestrongTL View Post

I'm getting an 847U in a week or so. I've been looking for Suzook's settings

here Ya go !
these are in movie mode IIRC ....

OPC Off
Backlight +1
Contrast +28
Brightness +1
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

Advanced Value
C.M.S. - Hue
R 0
Y +2
G -10
C -9
B 0
M +2

C.M.S. - Saturation
R 0
Y -10
G -5
C 0
B 0
M 0
C.M.S. - Value
R -2
Y -2
G +3
C -18
B +10
M -12
Color Temp. Low
R Gain (LO) +1
G Gain (LO) 0
B Gain (LO) +1
R Gain (HI) 0
G Gain (HI) 0
B Gain (HI) -8
Motion Enhancement 120Hz Lo
Active Contrast Off
Gamma Adjustment 0
Film Mode Off
DNR Off
Monochrome Off
Range of OPC NA

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #633 of 2661 Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Very nice setup, but man, overkill!! JK. Time for a larger house. How is the glare on the TV since it is next to the window?

OK, I am accepting donations for my larger house upgrade. Of course LITTLE houses like mine go for WELL above a million bucks in my neighborhood. How can anything be Overkill in a guy's MANCAVE? The cave is only 10x12 and my head is 9.5'-10' from the screen. I have been using bigscreens for 8 years as a PC monitor and this one is the best, so far. I am usually the only one watching my TV. The wife has a 55" in the living room. No, only real early morning glare from the window and it has a curtain.

Dave
post #634 of 2661 Old 05-24-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:

I just bought a Harmony One remote and it works very well with all my devices, except for the Netflix setup. I am still trying to get this set up. I had to make a new activity for it. I thought I had it working but I didnt totally get it right. I cant seem to get the remote to turn on the TV with netflix. One time t works fine, then the next time, it turns off the TV and my dish goes on. URG.

I have 4 Harmony Ones and they all work great with Netflix. Two are on Sony BD players and two on TV onboard Netflix. You will get it sorted out.

Dave
post #635 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 12:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
[quote=CGGorman;22061570

The paint roller helped but it takes some technique and finesse. Seems like I had to roll from dark areas into the cloud areas and pressure was critical. I still think it will level out even more over time, so I'm not stressing it.[/QUOTE]

This is interesting, seems like there is gap between plastic film in the design of the screen.
post #636 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 01:09 AM

Thanks everyone that responded to my inquiry regarding the paint roller and clouding. I have the 8470U and judging by the pics I've seen, my set is experiencing minor clouding. While an image is on screen, clouding is not visible but, on an imageless screen, I see clouding. Funny thing is, if I select an input that is not in use, initially i can see clouding but, after 10 seconds or so, the screen goes completely black and the clouding is gone. I don't know if it is because the LEDs go off or what but, if the darkness of the screen, when this happens, represent the black level of this set, I must say it is AMAZING !!!
post #637 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

here Ya go !
these are in movie mode IIRC ....

OPC Off
Backlight +1
Contrast +28
Brightness +1
Color 0
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

Advanced Value
C.M.S. - Hue
R 0
Y +2
G -10
C -9
B 0
M +2

C.M.S. - Saturation
R 0
Y -10
G -5
C 0
B 0
M 0
C.M.S. - Value
R -2
Y -2
G +3
C -18
B +10
M -12
Color Temp. Low
R Gain (LO) +1
G Gain (LO) 0
B Gain (LO) +1
R Gain (HI) 0
G Gain (HI) 0
B Gain (HI) -8
Motion Enhancement 120Hz Lo
Active Contrast Off
Gamma Adjustment 0
Film Mode Off
DNR Off
Monochrome Off
Range of OPC NA

Excellent thanks very much. What is IIRC? I notice there isn't a setting for the quad pixel plus option so I just turned it off. I'm going to try these settings on my current LE60832U. Do people use different settings for regular HD cable as well? Thanks again
post #638 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 07:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebKev View Post

Funny thing is, if I select an input that is not in use, initially i can see clouding but, after 10 seconds or so, the screen goes completely black and the clouding is gone. I don't know if it is because the LEDs go off or what but, if the darkness of the screen, when this happens, represent the black level of this set, I must say it is AMAZING !!!

No, that does not represent black.
post #639 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivestrongTL View Post

What is IIRC?

If I Remember Correctly
post #640 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

This is interesting, seems like there is gap between plastic film in the design of the screen.

I don't think its a gap per se, but more of a pressure differential.

The mad scientist in me wants to take a heat gun to it just to see what happens...but I can't risk things going badly...
post #641 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 08:02 AM

I took the screencaps below prior to the final tweaks (by eye, no measuring). I'm not thrilled with the blue and red CMS numbers, but the picture is quite good. This grayscale is must butter than my previous posting and puts gamma at 2.3. The backlight sets max luminance at about 32 ftL. These numbers are suitable for a vary dark room.

My viewing reference for the final tweaks were Blu-Rays of "In Time" and "The Dark Knight".

Despite the 6570k color temp, I feel the overall presentation is on the warm side of neutral, which I tend to prefer. There is plenty of punch and drama with very good shadow detail and texturing.

I'm considering this my "final" dark room calibration. Next up is a game calibration.

Model: LC-70LE847U
AV Mode: Movie
DARK ROOM

OPC.......................Off
Backlight ................+5
Contrast ................+36
Brightness...............+1
Color......................Zero
Tint.......................+4
Sharpness...............+2
Gamut ....................Standard
Motion Enhance........240 Hz
Quad Pixel...............Off
Active Contrast........Off
Gamma...................Zero
Film Mode...............Off
Digital NR ................Low

CMS
HUE
R.....-11
Y.....-4
G.....-19
C.....+3
B.....-22
M.....-22

SATURATION
R.....+2
Y.....-4
G.....-17
C.....-22
B.....+30
M.....-15

VALUE
R.....-8
Y.....+3
G.....+2
C.....0
B.....-11
M.....+2

COLOR TEMP
POS.....R..........G..........B
1.......-20.......-20......-20
2.......+30.........+30........+30
3.......+23.........+14.........+10
4.......+9.......+1.......-8
5.......+5.......0.......-11
6.......-2.......-5.......-19
7.......-4.......-6.......-26
8.......-1.......-5.......-20
9.......-6.......-2.......-15
10......-5.......-11.......-20
-------------------------------------------------------------------

post #642 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGorman View Post

This is only my third large LCD screen. One never had clouding and the other was minor but cleared up entirely within the first year. This one has minor to moderate (visible but tolerable) clouding and is still far too new to draw any conclusions.

The paint roller helped but it takes some technique and finesse. Seems like I had to roll from dark areas into the cloud areas and pressure was critical. I still think it will level out even more over time, so I'm not stressing it.

I just got off the phone with a level tier 3 engineer from Sharp, basically I know him personally now, since I talked to him on a regular basis. Here is what I found out. If there is any clouding mostly severe than in fact the TV was laid flat at some point and the inpact of any kind, the weight of the back of the TV rested on the screen and mashed them together to cause clouding. The screen is made up of three laayers and two pieces of glass. If anything presses on the screen to hard then it will cloud. That is why the roller helps if you have that special touch. What the roller does, it pushy the glass together when rollering, then once the prssure is released it seperates the layers. Clouding in these TV's are cause by the glass and layers being pressed.

I hope this makes sense. I understand this in theory, but not in real life. This really explains why some people get sets that are clouding and some people dont like myself. Since my set was never laid flat or the screen pressed, no clouding.

Sharp told me that every set that leaves their factory does not have any clouding. Many test are run before the set ever leaves. They know that this is caused by the shipper. They are looking into a fix for the future because many people are calling in about it, however, the fix is a hard one because they cant seperate the layers as they are only millimeters apart. This totally makes sense.
post #643 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenrino View Post

I have 4 Harmony Ones and they all work great with Netflix. Two are on Sony BD players and two on TV onboard Netflix. You will get it sorted out.

Dave,

Can you please tell me how did you program your Harmony remote with the netflix app? I tried to play with this, but cant seem to get it fully. I am close, but no cigar.
Did you set up a new activity? I did, how did you get it to go straight into netflix. Mine doesnt unless, if I hit the devices button on the remote and select netflix, which I want to avoid. Thanks.
post #644 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:

I took the screencaps below prior to the final tweaks (by eye, no measuring). I'm not thrilled with the blue and red CMS numbers, but the picture is quite good. This grayscale is must butter than my previous posting and puts gamma at 2.3. The backlight sets max luminance at about 32 ftL. These numbers are suitable for a vary dark room.

My viewing reference for the final tweaks were Blu-Rays of "In Time" and "The Dark Knight".

Despite the 6570k color temp, I feel the overall presentation is on the warm side of neutral, which I tend to prefer. There is plenty of punch and drama with very good shadow detail and texturing.

I'm considering this my "final" dark room calibration. Next up is a game calibration.

DARK ROOM

CMS
HUE
R.....-11
Y.....-4
G.....-19
C.....+3
B.....-22
M.....-22

SATURATION
R.....+2
Y.....-4
G.....-17
C.....-22
B.....+30
M.....-15

VALUE
R.....-8
Y.....+3
G.....+2
C.....0
B.....-11
M.....+2

COLOR TEMP

With these settings, do you have any clouding?
Clouding can occur with making certain adjustments.
post #645 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 09:02 AM

Not with normal program material. A good grayscale helps noticeably, as does a backlight and contrast setting appropriate for the ambient lighting conditions.
post #646 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:

The mad scientist in me wants to take a heat gun to it just to see what happens...but I can't risk things going badly...

Good call on the heat gun. NO heat gun!!! Never use. Are they kidding?
post #647 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:

My Harmony One has a Netflix button. The Red hard button is programed so under the Netflix Activity. I never "accidentally" hit it because it only works in the Netflix Activity.

This makes no sense to me. One person says that there is a red netflix button on the Harmony One remote and the other person says no there is not. I dont have this button. Are you sure you are talking about a Harmony One remote and not another model?
post #648 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Not with normal program material. A good grayscale helps noticeably, as does a backlight and contrast setting appropriate for the ambient lighting conditions.

I confirmed just looking at gray scale, I have no clouding at all. True with what you stated about the lighting conditions. I have three different lighting conditons in my theathre room.
post #649 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

The Harmony one has a red button but it is the recording button, maybe he set that to Netflix?

Lighting in the room makes a big difference on clouding. I cannot see it if the windows are open but at night in a dark room it is bad.
post #650 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco View Post

The Harmony one has a red button but it is the recording button, maybe he set that to Netflix?

Lighting in the room makes a big difference on clouding. I cannot see it if the windows are open but at night in a dark room it is bad.

Thanks for the update. I dont see it on my remote at all. URG. It sure doesnt state netflix. How could you set that to netflix? Do you know how?

I use my TV is all types of like, very low light to almost no light and bright light in the day and see no clouding. I guess I got lucky.
post #651 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Dave,

Can you please tell me how did you program your Harmony remote with the netflix app? I tried to play with this, but cant seem to get it fully. I am close, but no cigar.
Did you set up a new activity? I did, how did you get it to go straight into netflix. Mine doesnt unless, if I hit the devices button on the remote and select netflix, which I want to avoid. Thanks.

I did set up a Netflix activity-

When I "review sttings" for this activity I get-

Device Status / Actions
Sharp SHARP TV Sharp SHARP TV is on
Denon DENON 891 AVR Denon DENON 891 AVR is on
AAA Generic Light Controller AAA Generic Light Controller is on
Other All other devices are off

Sharp SHARP TV Sharp SHARP TV is set to "TV"
Denon DENON 891 AVR DENON 891 AVR is set to "TV"
AAA Generic Light Controller "PowerToggle" command is sent to the AAA Generic Light Controller
Sharp SHARP TV "PowerOn" command is sent to the Sharp SHARP TV
Sharp SHARP TV "Netflix" command is sent to the Sharp SHARP TV

Seems like I also had a problem with the TV going off when the activity started thus the additional "power on". I did program the Harmony red RECORD button for the Sharp's "Netflix" command but I really don't need it as the command is automatically sent when the activity starts. This is done by selecting "yes, but I want to add more control to the activity" after selecting "review the settings for this activity".

Dave
post #652 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco View Post

Exactly.

Dave
post #653 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update. I dont see it on my remote at all. URG. It sure doesnt state netflix. How could you set that to netflix? Do you know how?

"Customize Buttons" in Netflix activity.

Dave
post #654 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 01:24 PM

Thank you. I will try that today.
post #655 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:

DARK ROOM

CMS
HUE
R.....-11
Y.....-4
G.....-19
C.....+3
B.....-22
M.....-22

SATURATION
R.....+2
Y.....-4
G.....-17
C.....-22
B.....+30
M.....-15

VALUE
R.....-8
Y.....+3
G.....+2
C.....0
B.....-11
M.....+2

COLOR TEMP

Looking forward to the game settings!
post #656 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:

"Customize Buttons" in Netflix activity.

Thank you. I am trying now as I type this. I hope it works.

5 Minutes later. OK it worked and worked well. Thanks for all your help. This is the first time I had a programable remote that works.

I programmed the RED record button to be netflix, but I dont need to use it. As I turn on the TV it goes right into netflix with one touch of a button. WOW, it does take time getting use to this remote and playing with the settings.
post #657 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Thank you. I am trying now as I type this. I hope it works.

5 Minutes later. OK it worked and worked well. Thanks for all your help. This is the first time I had a programable remote that works.

I programmed the RED record button to be netflix, but I dont need to use it. As I turn on the TV it goes right into netflix with one touch of a button. WOW, it does take time getting use to this remote and playing with the settings.

NP,
They are great remotes except for the battery dying after bout a year. Less than $10 on Amaz.

Dave
post #658 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I got my email from Sharp outlining the procedure for taking pictures of the problem (clouding) but they state that they do not want any pictures that might show it.

"* All of the photos should be taken with active TV video on the screen rather than PC / Game system video or a plain black / grey screen. It is more helpful in diagnosing the issue."
post #659 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO99 View Post

Mine actually is also March 2012. This may be obvious, but is there such a big difference between the 847 and 8470 - to the extent that one would normally have clouding (i.e. 847) and one wouldn't?

You guys have been really helpful! Thanks!!

I just saw and com,pared three 847U and 8470U from two different stores and sure enough the 847U all have clouding. I wonder if these are made at a different factory or acutally the Sharp engineer was right when he stated me about having generation 3 chips that are upgraded in the 8470U.
Anyone else have an 8470U that has no clouding or very little which is totally acceptable compared to the 847U model.

I hope the 945 series has no clouding at all and the black level is a true black level close to the elite models. For $4,500.00 I would think so. At that price, I would go with a plasma. Hanging a plasma on the wall is very hard.
post #660 of 2661 Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:

NP,
They are great remotes except for the battery dying after bout a year. Less than $10 on Amaz.

I made a deal with Amazon, since the remote is only one week old, I traded the remote battery for the upgraded blue label version of battery with 950mAh instead of the battery that it came with, which is junk. It heats up to much and it bulges. They send me a new battery and I returned the one it came with. I have the new one installed and it works great. It is not hot at all. I used an infrared heat gun and it showing 100.7 degrees F. The old one that I had was reading 109.9 degrees F. That is to much for a battery to be at. I am no expert, but hell that is hot.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc70le847u by PriceGrabber.com