Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Do Costco and Sam's Club have them shipped the same way? I have a Sam's Club much closer than Costco, but will drive the extra 20 miles if I have a better chance of getting a TV without clouding.

TV = Panasonic P65VT50 Plasma Ass-Kicker
Receiver = Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver
BR = Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Intergrated Wi-Fi 3D BR/DVD
Speakers/Subwoofer = Martin Logan MLT-2 5.1 Channel
Game System = XBox 360, Wii
Cable = Bright House HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuehne View Post

The media interface is via the smart tv section accessed with the remote. I believe the application is called home network. After you go in there, the app will query your lan and look for servers. One of the bottom buttons on the remote allows you to rescan if your server(s) don't show up on the first scan. Pick the server then pick the content type (video, audio, picture) and browse for what you want. It works pretty well, not perfect. Most of my issues were talking to win7 media center directly. Using ps3media server seems to have worked best so far. It also works on my dlink nas that has dlna.

Yeah, I gave it a try last night after I mounted the TV on the wall. Seems OK for MP3's but it doesn't appear to support some fairly common video codecs. I'll be sticking with the PS3 as a media player for the time being.
post #813 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 AM

Does anyone know if there are discreet remote codes for setting the video mode on these TV's? It would be nice to have separate activities for my Harmony such as "Watch TV (day)" and "Watch TV (night)" that set the modes to "Standard" and "Movie" respectively.
post #814 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 07:42 AM

Liked: 10
I recently bought 70LE847, can anyone tell me what universal glasses work with this TV, I also have sony 3D tv so I want to buy some universal 3D glasses which work with both TVs.
post #815 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 09:32 AM

When I use the Netflix app, I was getting audio from my TV speaker only and nothing from my Yamaha receiver. My receiver supports ARC and I have it connected to the TV with HDMI. Any idea how to make ARC function as it should over HDMI? I have enabled it on the receiver.

Also, is it possible to disable the TV speaker? I can't find any option to do this.
post #816 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDoggg View Post

Do Costco and Sam's Club have them shipped the same way? I have a Sam's Club much closer than Costco, but will drive the extra 20 miles if I have a better chance of getting a TV without clouding.
Yes

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #817 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 09:52 AM

I just opened a case with Sharp. Not overly impressed with the initial support. The tech didn't even know what ghosting or crosstalk was. I explained the issue and the background and he went through a hardware reset on the tv and had me re-test. No change, still ghosting as it was on the show floors. Sharp has setup a local tv tech to call me to setup an appointment to see the issue in person since they can't diagnose 3d issues over the phone. I'll provide another update after the tech visit. I don't think this is a specific issue with this tv since I saw the same problem on an 845 at best buy as well as the 60 and 70" 8470 at Costco. Both 60 and 70" elites at Best Buy did not have this crosstalk/ghosting issue. I'm hoping they can at least document it and maybe fix via firmware update.
post #818 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:

I got my 847 at Costco, and it has allot of clouding. When I saw it on the pallet it was upright, but when the guy was helping me load it on the flatbed he asked me if I wanted to lay it down. I said no, and asked him, isnt that bad for the panel. His response is that it doesnt really matter for LCD screens only for plasmas. I told him no thanks of coarse. So who knows if the unit I got was layed down for any length of time before I bought it. Cant really trust anybody I guess. The whole reason I went to Costco was for what I thought was the superior shipping methods they may have, but after hearing that from an employee of Costco I have my doubts.
post #819 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 AM

So, basically, if I buy an LED it is likely I will have an issue with clouding or ghosting. If I buy a plasma, it it certain I will have a serious issue with glare. The DLP route ended with noise fans no matter what I did. So, I'm essentially f"d in some way no matter which I choose?

Cable = Bright House HD
post #820 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerlnik View Post

When I use the Netflix app, I was getting audio from my TV speaker only and nothing from my Yamaha receiver. My receiver supports ARC and I have it connected to the TV with HDMI. Any idea how to make ARC function as it should over HDMI? I have enabled it on the receiver.
Also, is it possible to disable the TV speaker? I can't find any option to do this.

Page 34 of the manual
Output Select

Allows you to select what controls the audio output.
Fixed: Sound via speaker is adjusted with VOLk/l on
the remote control unit or on the TV.
Sound via the AUDIO OUT terminal is not adjustable
and outputs at a consistent level.
Variable: Sound via the AUDIO OUT terminal is adjusted
on the remote control unit or on the TV.
Sound via speaker is muted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #821 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powermonkey24 View Post

I got my 847 at Costco, and it has allot of clouding. When I saw it on the pallet it was upright, but when the guy was helping me load it on the flatbed he asked me if I wanted to lay it down. I said no, and asked him, isnt that bad for the panel. His response is that it doesnt really matter for LCD screens only for plasmas. I told him no thanks of coarse. So who knows if the unit I got was layed down for any length of time before I bought it. Cant really trust anybody I guess. The whole reason I went to Costco was for what I thought was the superior shipping methods they may have, but after hearing that from an employee of Costco I have my doubts.

I picked up a 70" at Sams Club 2 days ago. I asked the guy working there if this TV had ever been laid flat. He said no, it was not removed from the pallet that they received it on. There were 4 70"ers on the pallet. I made sure it stayed upright on the cart, in my truck and into the house. I still have clouding on my set on the left and right sides. Bummer.
post #822 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 11:06 AM

How can they not know this is a huge issue? It seems ALL LEDs have this - so it's nothing against Sharp. But, clouding appears to be a massive issue with all LEDs. I'd go Plasma, but my TV room has too many light sources and I think the glare will be unbearable. Any suggestions?

Cable = Bright House HD
post #823 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Page 34 of the manual
Output Select

That is rather confusing... VOLk/l = volume keys? If I want to continue adjusting volume with my Yamaha, I need to select "Variable" on the TV? Mine is set to "Fixed" as it states "Sound via the AUDIO OUT terminal is not adjustable and outputs at a consistent level." -- this seemed like the correct option for controlling volume with a receiver? Rather confusing. :/
post #824 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 11:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hey all - I've read every post on this thread and have been very impressed - especially with CGGorman and cjrel - lots of great info from both.
I've never had and LCD or Plasma - I'm replacing a 10 year old TV. I tried to replace with a Mitsubishi 82" 3D DLP - picture was nice, but the humming sound from the fans (which came through the front of the TV) was unbearable to me (guess I have very sensitive ears). I acturally returned 3 times for exchanges and the same sound with each.
I have a 20' room where we view at about 15'. Not much angle - from straight on to about 20 degrees at most. We have a sliding glass window facing the TV at 20', we have 2 small windows on the side, and we have 3 separate light sets for the living room, kitchen, and breakfast nook (it's an open floor model house). So, needless to say, there is the potential for A LOT of glare.
I think I'm going with the LED over the Plasma because of the glare. I want big, so I'm very interested in the Sharp 70". I want 3D and a good picture. I'm less concerned about bells, whistles, apps, etc. I will use it for watching everyday HDTV (especially sports), Blu Ray/DVD, and XBox 360 FPS games.
My other components are: 1) Sony STRDH720 7.1 Channel 3D AV Receiver, 2) Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, and 3) Nice set of Martin Logan speakers.

So, my questions to you all are as follows:
1) Does the 70" 847 sound like a TV that would suit my needs?
2) If so, would you suggest buying the 8470 from Costco over the 847 online even though it will be a few $$ more?
3) Has anyone had issues with "ghosting" or anything playing FPS games, watching sports, or viewing fast moving objects?
Thanks for your help in advance. The Mitsubishi thing has been a complete fiasco (except that Paul's TV has been very accomodating so far), so I really want to make a good decision this time.
Nate

Thank you for your kinds words and liking our post. This is important to me to get the word and facts out.
to answer your questions:
1. Yes the LED is the way to go for glare, use and electric consumption. I am very happy with mine. I am shocked to hear that some people bought theirs from Costco and have clouding. I have no clouding at all, seriosuly. My neighbor just bought one from the same Costco and he has No clouding at all. So the conclusion is that the TV's from my costco has no clouding. Everyone needs to buy one from the costco where I bought mine. LOL. JK.
2. Costco 8470U for several reasons, no clouding what I see and heard, two pairs of 3D glasses and extended warranty right off the bat. Hands down Costco handles their TV's better.
3. I had no issues of ghosting at all, very few 847's have ghosting could be becuase of how the tv was handled.

Keep in mind 90% of these problems are how the TV was shipped not how they are made from Sharp. Sharp is 100% quality and service. They dont send out crap TV's.
post #825 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

How can they not know this is a huge issue? It seems ALL LEDs have this - so it's nothing against Sharp. But, clouding appears to be a massive issue with all LEDs. I'd go Plasma, but my TV room has too many light sources and I think the glare will be unbearable. Any suggestions?

Whoever is deciding between plasma and LED, make sure you weight everything out, I mean EVERYTHING.
Consdier the following:
Size, heat, electric consumption, lights/windows in room, glare on screen, glossy screens, weight especially if you are using a TV mount, and most importantly, if this is placed in a small room and you close the door, how hot will the room get? Keep that in mind. Hope this helps. Plus cost. If you have the money for a plasma or LED?
post #826 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjre1 View Post

Whoever is deciding between plasma and LED, make sure you weight everything out, I mean EVERYTHING.
Consdier the following:
Size, heat, electric consumption, lights/windows in room, glare on screen, glossy screens, weight especially if you are using a TV mount, and most importantly, if this is placed in a small room and you close the door, how hot will the room get? Keep that in mind. Hope this helps. Plus cost. If you have the money for a plasma or LED?

Thank you for your response and ideas - seriously. I've tried to weigh everything I possibly can...and it divides into 2 sections for me:

IMPORTANT:
1) PQ (especially with Blu Ray, Sports, and FPS Video Games)
2) Screen Size
3) No glare (because I have a lot of light coming in)
4) No unwanted NOISE (the Mitsubishi DLP failed miserably in this)
5) 3D PQ
6) No clouding, ghosting, or anything that shouldn't be there

NOT AS IMPORTANT:
1) Size/weight of the entire TV
2) Electric Consumption
3) Heat
4) Tons of apps/bells/whistles
5) Angle/side viewing

My cost factor is around $3000. So, given all that, what do you suggest???

Cable = Bright House HD
post #827 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:

So, basically, if I buy an LED it is likely I will have an issue with clouding or ghosting. If I buy a plasma, it it certain I will have a serious issue with glare. The DLP route ended with noise fans no matter what I did. So, I'm essentially f"d in some way no matter which I choose?

The only way out is the Elite.. but you pay for it.
post #828 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'd not be so quick to rule out plasma because of glare. I have an panasonic 50'' ST50 plasma in our bedroom and it gets LOTS of afternoon light. Glare is not an issue because of the AR coating in this set. It can be with others, but not the panny. Oh, you forgot an issue with plasmas - they can buzz. mine buzzed at first, but now is *much* quieter. They are not silent like the LCD/LED's are.

I just bought a 70'' that i'll be setting up tomorrow with the av cabinet arrives. I bought it at costco, so i've got my fingers crossed it'll work out. I'm moving from a 73'' 1999 mits rp crt. I'd buy a plasma in a heartbeat, but I need bigger than 65'' and I don't want DLP. with DLP i'd have the same issues with glare I have with the mits i'm replacing.

Best,
jeff
post #829 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:

From what I've read the clouding issue is much less in a full array back lit LED, like the 735 and the 80LE632.. Has anybody had a chance to seriously compare the Panasonic 65ST50 to the 735/745/847 in a viewing environment other than a store?
post #830 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

I'd not be so quick to rule out plasma because of glare. I have an panasonic 50'' ST50 plasma in our bedroom and it gets LOTS of afternoon light. Glare is not an issue because of the AR coating in this set. It can be with others, but not the panny. Oh, you forgot an issue with plasmas - they can buzz. mine buzzed at first, but now is *much* quieter. They are not silent like the LCD/LED's are.
I just bought a 70'' that i'll be setting up tomorrow with the av cabinet arrives. I bought it at costco, so i've got my fingers crossed it'll work out. I'm moving from a 73'' 1999 mits rp crt. I'd buy a plasma in a heartbeat, but I need bigger than 65'' and I don't want DLP. with DLP i'd have the same issues with glare I have with the mits i'm replacing.
Best,
jeff

Thanks - the potential BUZZ on the plasma is a deal-breaker for me. My ears are ridiculously sensitive I suppose, which is why I returned 3 Mitsubishi 82" DLPs in a row. So, I suppose LED is my only option at this point.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #831 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:

gonna be way higher than my $3000 ballpark.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #832 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Thank you for your response and ideas - seriously. I've tried to weigh everything I possibly can...and it divides into 2 sections for me:
IMPORTANT:
1) PQ (especially with Blu Ray, Sports, and FPS Video Games)
2) Screen Size
3) No glare (because I have a lot of light coming in)
4) No unwanted NOISE (the Mitsubishi DLP failed miserably in this)
5) 3D PQ
6) No clouding, ghosting, or anything that shouldn't be there
NOT AS IMPORTANT:
1) Size/weight of the entire TV
2) Electric Consumption
3) Heat
4) Tons of apps/bells/whistles
5) Angle/side viewing
My cost factor is around $3000. So, given all that, what do you suggest???

My thoughts:

Imporant:

1) Sharp 8 series (8470 is supposedly newest model) or Samsung 8000 e models will give the best LED picture quality for 2d
2) 60"+ is supposedly the sweet spot for 3d viewing, I read one article saying 65+ is used by the film industry for 3d testing/editing/etc
3) Matte screen coating is what you want here.. can be on lcd or plasma depends on model
4) Shouldn't be an issue on a newer model flat panel
5) In order of best 3d picture quality that I've saw in person (sharp elite 60, sharp elite 70, samsung 8000 led, lg 7600 passive 3d led, panasonic vt30 plasma, 2011/2012 samsung led models lower than 8000, 8470/847/845 sharp)
6) sharp elite only

Not as important:
1) led is lighter and thinner
2) led is much lower power than plasma
3) led is much lower heat than plasma
4) if you aren't going to use this don't pay extra for it, maybe consider higher end non-smart tv samsung led
5) LG wins hands down here for viewing angle in 3d, the passive on the LG was signficantly better than the plasmas, leds, and even the elites

I'm a big Sharp fan and already have 3 of their tvs in my house, with this new 8470 being my 4th. I'm just not happy with the 3d problems I'm having right now. I bought this new tv specifically for 3d and it hasn't met my expectations yet. If 3d isn't a big concern for you, this tv does look very good in 2d.
post #833 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:

My thoughts:
Imporant:
1) Sharp 8 series (8470 is supposedly newest model) or Samsung 8000 e models will give the best LED picture quality for 2d
2) 60"+ is supposedly the sweet spot for 3d viewing, I read one article saying 65+ is used by the film industry for 3d testing/editing/etc
3) Matte screen coating is what you want here.. can be on lcd or plasma depends on model
4) Shouldn't be an issue on a newer model flat panel
5) In order of best 3d picture quality that I've saw in person (sharp elite 60, sharp elite 70, samsung 8000 led, lg 7600 passive 3d led, panasonic vt30 plasma, 2011/2012 samsung led models lower than 8000, 8470/847/845 sharp)
6) sharp elite only
Not as important:
1) led is lighter and thinner
2) led is much lower power than plasma
3) led is much lower heat than plasma
4) if you aren't going to use this don't pay extra for it, maybe consider higher end non-smart tv samsung led
5) LG wins hands down here for viewing angle in 3d, the passive on the LG was signficantly better than the plasmas, leds, and even the elites
I'm a big Sharp fan and already have 3 of their tvs in my house, with this new 8470 being my 4th. I'm just not happy with the 3d problems I'm having right now. I bought this new tv specifically for 3d and it hasn't met my expectations yet. If 3d isn't a big concern for you, this tv does look very good in 2d.

3D is a concern - but not as much as 2D PQ, Quality watching sports and playing FPS games, no noise, and no glare. That's where I'm at. The potential buzz from plasma is a huge concern of mine now. Matte screen is a must - and from what I gather it's pretty standard on the 847Us. I'm leaning towards the 8470 from Costco based on info on this site - but others have had issues with those as well. I really just want a TV without picture and sound problems - if it's not a 100% top notch picture I can live with it as long as it's good - clouding, ghosting, noise, halos, etc are unacceptable for me - and I will keep returning until I get a good model or I get a refund and go elsewhere.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #834 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 PM

Does the 735 have less clouding and ghosting issues than the 847? I'm willing to sacrifice a little PQ (not a lot mind you) in order to have less "issues" with the TV.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #835 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:

Not if you have 7500 K plus for the Pioneer Elite or the Sony XBR929..didnt see much crosstalk or ghosting or clouding with that when I had it, but I did have some DSE and banding that made me return it. I would go with the Panasonic 65VT50 or the Samsung pn64e8000. Both have excellent filters that preserve black levels and reduce glare. Nothing seems to be perfect, believe me I am on my 3rd TV this year and will be on to my 4th soon. I have tried the LED LCD TVs and I am going back to plasma and staying. The colors are richer and the motion resolution can not be beat. Never have to worry about off center viewing or clouding. Not to mention the 3d seems to be superior to LED LCD as well. The VT50 is so much cheaper then the other companies flagship LED TVs, and the majority of experts and professionals agree that this TV is the equal of the old Kuro plasmas. PQ and value are still advantages plasma has over LED.
post #836 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Not if you have 7500 K plus for the Pioneer Elite or the Sony XBR929..didnt see much crosstalk or ghosting or clouding with that when I had it, but I did have some DSE and banding that made me return it. I would go with the Panasonic 65VT50 or the Samsung pn64e8000. Both have excellent filters that preserve black levels and reduce glare. Nothing seems to be perfect, believe me I am on my 3rd TV this year and will be on to my 4th soon. I have tried the LED LCD TVs and I am going back to plasma and staying. The colors are richer and the motion resolution can not be beat. Never have to worry about off center viewing or clouding. Not to mention the 3d seems to be superior to LED LCD as well. The VT50 is so much cheaper then the other companies flagship LED TVs, and the majority of experts and professionals agree that this TV is the equal of the old Kuro plasmas. PQ and value are still advantages plasma has over LED.

Is there any type of buzzing sound accompanied with the Plasma TV's? The DLP fan noise was bad enough to make viewing unenjoyable - I don't want to fall into that issue again.

Cable = Bright House HD
post #837 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoda View Post

Page 34 of the manual
Output Select

Yes, selecting "variable" will mute your TV speakers and allow sound to be played on external speakers. Also, make sure to enable ARC on the TV. I'm not in front of my TV right now, but I belive there is an Aquos menu under System Options where I had to toggle the ARC to "on". Hope that helps!
post #838 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaLover View Post

Yes, selecting "variable" will mute your TV speakers and allow sound to be played on external speakers. Also, make sure to enable ARC on the TV. I'm not in front of my TV right now, but I belive there is an Aquos menu under System Options where I had to toggle the ARC to "on". Hope that helps!

Ah, just found the steps I used:

Steps for setting up your Sharp AQUOS TV:
1. Access the menu using your Sharp TV remote control.
2. Using the arrow buttons on your Sharp remote scroll left or right and press enter on “System Options.”
3. Arrow down and press enter on AQUOSLINK Setup.
4. Arrow down to AQUOS LINK Control, press enter and select “On.”
5. Arrow down to Audio Return Channel, and select “Auto.”
Your setup is now complete.
post #839 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Buzzing can be hit and miss as well. The pn64e8000 i just returned had a slight buzz that was not even noticeable during normal viewing volumes with the TV speakers. This was not why I returned it though, I just got it in my head that I would try the 847 for the size. I have never had a buzzing problem with a Panasonic plasma and I have 2 currently the VT10 and VT30 witch have never buzzed. If you read other forums, you will see that some people get some real buzzers that are annoying enough to return. I like Samsung plasmas, but they do seem to have more cases of buzzing then Panasonic does.
post #840 of 2661 Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Buzzing can be hit and miss as well. The pn64e8000 i just returned had a slight buzz that was not even noticeable during normal viewing volumes with the TV speakers. This was not why I returned it though, I just got it in my head that I would try the 847 for the size. I have never had a buzzing problem with a Panasonic plasma and I have 2 currently the VT10 and VT30 witch have never buzzed. If you read other forums, you will see that some people get some real buzzers that are annoying enough to return. I like Samsung plasmas, but they do seem to have more cases of buzzing then Panasonic does.

I've been looking through the Panny VT50 site the past few days and there are quite a few people reporting buzzing issues. That and glare are deal-breakers for me. If I can just get a Sharp that doesn't have clouding, I should be in good shape - but I feel like my odds of that happening are about 50/50.

Cable = Bright House HD
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc70le847u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page