Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the LC-70LE847U delivered on April 10th. I'm not seeing any clouding issues at all. To me the picture looks great and I haven't really tweaked the settings much yet. Everything I've thrown at it seems to look good, XBOX (Forza), Netflix (Rango, The Worlds Fastest Indian), and Avatar on Blue Ray. So far I love it and I don't regret the purchase one bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic1974 View Post

I just got the LC-70LE847U delivered on April 10th. I'm not seeing any clouding issues at all. To me the picture looks great and I haven't really tweaked the settings much yet. Everything I've thrown at it seems to look good, XBOX (Forza), Netflix (Rango, The Worlds Fastest Indian), and Avatar on Blue Ray. So far I love it and I don't regret the purchase one bit.

Pure awesomness!

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #93 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 10:32 AM

Liked: 11
Meh. Those are all easy. Try something like "The Descent" or "Aliens" :-)

"Driver" is also interesting. It really shines on a properly calibrated display and looks flat otherwise. In my experience. :-)
post #94 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 10:47 AM

post #95 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGorman View Post

Meh. Those are all easy. Try something like "The Descent" or "Aliens" :-)

"Driver" is also interesting. It really shines on a properly calibrated display and looks flat otherwise. In my experience. :-)

I agree on my 632 80" with Suzook's settings "Drive" was stunning !
Beautifully shot film ,

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #96 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

what is the difference in the 845 and the 847?

I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #97 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic1974 View Post

I'm glad to read that !, and what about the xv color,Would you recommend this mode while watching sports?, and the yellow pixel? Does it really make the difference from another ones? . And don't forget to take some pics and show us ,please. Sorry 'cause my Bad English ( Julio Iglesias and Charo were my teachers...plop ! )
post #98 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have AquoMotion 480
AquoMotion 240
120Hz Hifgr
120Hz Low
Off
post #99 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Yikes! My picture is way better than that one,
post #100 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

post #101 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

LOL. I think you mean +2.
post #102 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What does the O in your model number mean?!? Did you buy it in Canada?

Your settings make me think the "LE-60LC847U" (no "O") set's 240Hz is not really 240Hz, but AquoMotion 480 instead Since Sharp still hasn't put it up on their website, who knows.

I'm too cheap and lazy to buy what ever special disc and equipment I need to find out! If you're model number doesn't have an O, what firmware are you running, because no where does mine say AquoMotion480...?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

I have AquoMotion 480
AquoMotion 240
120Hz Hifgr
120Hz Low
Off

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #103 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

The 845 is sold at Best Buy, and everyone else has the 847. This way there is no price match stuff going on. There may be a few very small differences, but I am sure they are probably not significant.
post #104 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

How much calibrating do you plan to do on the 847u? I've never felt the need to pay $300, so I just do basic stuff like brightness, contrast, etc using the free AVS disc or whatever tools I find on the Pixar discs I have.

I'd be very interested in your results if you'd be kind enough to share.

I was very skeptical buying a TV with a yellow pixel, but I do like the rich colors on it and never plan to have it calibrated. I'm 90% sure the colors shouldn't look as rich and deep as they do and that the set would not calibrate well based on the professionally done Quattron reviews on the net.

Since sRGB and Rec.709 cover virtually all consumer content, what good is it having billions of extra colors if all you care about is reproducing the source accurately. It is impressive how Sharp crams that extra sub-pixel on smaller screens though.

Assuming 8 bit color (all that standard content is):
256^3 = 16,777,216 (normal TV)
256^4 = 4,294,967,296 (Sharp TV)

The engineer in me tells me I've been marketed to, but the cheap skate in me says I got a pretty good at cost deal on a pretty good TV so I should keep it since I like the color it produces

PS: Here's a great article I found written by the foremost expert in color reproduction: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...yths_shattered.

Quote:

Owners manual for the 847:

http://files.sharpusa.com/Downloads/...LC80LE844U.pdf

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #105 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

How much calibrating do you plan to do on the 847u? I've never felt the need to pay $300, so I just do basic stuff like brightness, contrast, etc using the free AVS disc or whatever tools I find on the Pixar discs I have.

I was very skeptical buying a TV with a yellow pixel, but I do like the rich colors on it and never plan to have it calibrated. I'm 90% sure the colors shouldn't look as rich and deep as they do and that the set would not calibrate well based on the professionally done Quattron reviews on the net.

Since sRGB and Rec.709 cover virtually all consumer content, what good is it having billions of extra colors if all you care about is reproducing the source accurately. It is impressive how Sharp crams that extra sub-pixel on smaller screens though.

Assuming 8 bit color (all that standard content is):
256^3 = 16,777,216 (normal TV)
256^4 = 4,294,967,296 (Sharp TV)

The engineer in me tells me I've been marketed to, but the cheap skate in me says I got a pretty good at cost deal on a pretty good TV so I should keep it since I like the color it produces

PS: Here's a great article I found written by the foremost expert in color reproduction: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...yths_shattered.

Most professional calibrators have stated as well as a host of display experts there is no difference they can measure between a 4 color pixels & the regular 3 color pixel of the Non-Quattron Sharp models . I can't tell myself . I can say that having a 4th pixel does add some extra blocking material in the way the pixels are set on the glass , there is some added framing going on . that's is just simple Math ..
Some go as far to say It's Just a marketing ploy as well .

Mike

post #106 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The 845 is sold at Best Buy, and everyone else has the 847. This way there is no price match stuff going on. There may be a few very small differences, but I am sure they are probably not significant.

Thanks Mr. Plasma

post #107 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Chris,

Didn't the same go on last year with some of the Costco 70" models as well ??
Could that also be happening with the 80"ers , the 632 & 633 as there is a difference with those units being a 120 vs 240 setting ,a small weight difference as well ?

Mike

post #108 of 2660 Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Not sure if this was directed me or another (or broadcast wide), but this weekend I'm just doing a basic adjustment using AVSHD or Spears & Munsil just to get me thru the first couple hundred hour burn-in. After that I'll do a full calibration with CALMAN v4 followed by an advanced ICC profile thru i1Profiler on my HTPC. (Colorimeter is a i1Display Pro)

I like gizmos :-) wish I could justify/afford a real spectroradiometer.
With regard to the wide gamut, the new Quattrons allows the user to defeat the Sharp processing and run in normal space. Chad B's post-cal reports on Cleveland Plasma's website indicate excellent color reproduction is possible now (unlike earlier models). In my opinion, having the extra gamut space available allows more wiggle room during calibration as well as a margin to help accommodate both pigment fade over time and possible future colorspace standards. Also, my informal showroom observations of Quattron panels compared to RGB panels reveals a visible improvement in diagonal line smoothness.
post #109 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 12:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Chris,
Didn't the same go on last year with some of the Costco 70" models as well ??

Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

Could that also be happening with the 80"ers , the 632 & 633 as there is a difference with those units being a 120 vs 240 setting ,a small weight difference as well ?

Yes, usually the warehouse stores have there own model numbers too, and very slight differences.
post #110 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 02:39 AM

lots of good info in here. is there anyone in this thread that actually regrets their decision and would have went a different model/manufacturer?
post #111 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 AM

Hey guys, new 745 owner. I'm well within my 30 days of returning it and getting the 847.

Anyone with a good comparison tell me if it's worth it to trade up to the 847? Are there significant differences between the 2 sets? Or are they minimal?

Thanks.
post #112 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 AM

The 745 is 3 color (not quattron). The native refresh rate may also be slower. Can't verify that, though.
post #113 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 AM

Hello AVS contributors....

I just purchased a new LC-70LE847u from HHGregg last night. I plan on picking it up this Saturday.

I'm a noob in regards to properly calibrating a TV such as this. Any suggestions for a good starting point on this TV? Is one calibration disk better then another??? I'm very tech savvy and want to attempt to get the best possible picture without hiring a professional calibrator at this time.

I purchased this particular model thinking that it was a true 240hz panel. Can anybody confirm this. There is not very much info on the interwebs as I'm sure you all know.

I look forward to this thread growing and hopefully being able to contribute as much as I can.

If anybody wants to know what kind of deal I got on this TV then just ask me... Didn't know if price talk was ok here...
post #114 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

CGGorman:

I found that if you turn quad pixel plus 2 on (I think that's the feature that is supposed to smooth diagonal lines according the instructions), you will see some ghosting/convergence issues on lines that are horizontal or vertical and one pixel wide. The unique structure of the LCD itself may help smooth lines too though, I'm not sure. Once I turned off quad pixel plus 2, the lines were all perfectly sharp and looked great.

When you get your set, if you could do a worst case backlight test (use the 2% near field black from the AVS disc, OPC off, back light set to +16, standard picture, motion enhancement off, etc...) and compare it to mine I'd appreciate it! I think my backlight is normal, but I'm not sure now after reading some of the other posts...

PS: which Chad B review on the new Sharps were you referring to? I found this one on the 732, but the 2012 reviews only shows the Panasonic. Chad B appears to be very thorough in his reviews, if there's an 847u review, I'd like to read it

Quote:

Not sure if this was directed me or another (or broadcast wide), but this weekend I'm just doing a basic adjustment using AVSHD or Spears & Munsil just to get me thru the first couple hundred hour burn-in. After that I'll do a full calibration with CALMAN v4 followed by an advanced ICC profile thru i1Profiler on my HTPC. (Colorimeter is a i1Display Pro)
Also, my informal showroom observations of Quattron panels compared to RGB panels reveals a visible improvement in diagonal line smoothness.

post #115 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 AM

The AVS-HD 709 disc is very good if you have a knowledge of what patterns are used for what adjustments and how to use them. It's also free to download. You will obvioulsy need facilities to burn .ISO image to DVD. I use the AVCHD format which requires a player capable of reading it. There is another format available, but I can't remember what it is.

The commercial discs are probably better for a new user as they have extensive help facilities and instructions.

Price talk is discouraged in these threads.

I'm trying to verify the native refresh myself. I suspect its 240, but OM is vague and the web is silent as of yet.
post #116 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 AM

ETC,

I haven't been able to find a real review of the 847. Chad has three reviews of Sharp LCDs on Cleveland Plasma. The one from 2010 is not very flattering, but the 2011 reviews of the 732 and 632 are very encouraging.

I'm taking a leap of faith with the 847. The 735 I looked at was beautiful except the screen uniformity on full fields (and the wavy plastic frame). The 745 I looked at had excellent uniformity for LED/LCD. I couldn't evaluate color, contrast, etc. very well but it certainly wasnt objectionable. With the added processing power and step-up panel, I'm assuming the 847 will be better yet.
post #117 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 AM

Hi - I've had the 70LC847U for a few days now, had it delivered on Wednesday. Was back and forth between this and one of the last 735's around, but I couldn't get past the dark corners on the 735. And I ascetically I liked the slimmer bezel, fwiw.

Been fooling with lots of the settings each night and I have to say that I absolutely love it! (Coming from a 50 inch 2007 Samsung DLP, so I'm not sure I am the best comparator).

I used the Spears and Munsil BD to try to calibrate it after I used some settings I found on the 735 discussion thread to get me started. Really like the picture, but then again I am no professional. It took me a while to get SOE removed, Dark Knight was unwatchable for me, then I realized I needed to turn FILM mode off and wow, it just looks great.

I can confirm that on my TV I have full 240 hz option. No option for Aquomotion 480.

Loaded up Hugo 3D last night and was blown away. 3D is completely new to me and I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was.

If anyone has questions about the TV I can try to answer as best I can. Waiting on a replacement batter for my camera, if needed I can try to post some pictures.
post #118 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

+1 on the AVS-HD 709 disc. I have never used a calibration disc before and found it was easy to use once you read the pdf file that is posted with it and watched the HDNation videos included on the disc. The documentation with the disc is very good and worth printing out.

FYI: I didn't have a BD-R disc, so I burned the ISO to a DVD-R and have been able to use it in 2/2 bluray players so far.

PS: the newer smart phones seem to do a great job under low light conditions. That's what I used for the backlight pictures I took.

post #119 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Well, crap. The display arrived with a cracked screen so my weekend plans are scrapped. Maybe next week.
post #120 of 2660 Old 04-13-2012, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, crap. The display arrived with a cracked screen so my weekend plans are scrapped. Maybe next week.

did you refuse shipment ?
Did you state on the way-bill damaged ?
Who did you buy from ?

Bummer Dude ! I hate that .. My biggest fear is what has happened to You ..
Call the Vendor ASAP , send a E-mail now as well , If you still have the display take photos with a date stamp ,
Cover your Butt !
Man I'm Sorry to hear that , Damn !!! on a Friday afternoon as well ....

Mike

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page