Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 2661 Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys. I was wondering, what is the best model sharp haas out now in a 70 inch ? I know about the elite, but to me it's not worth the money. I was lokking at the 847 or 874 not sure which it was, I called pauls in calif. and the sales guy was telling me that the sharp is a step up from the mits, but it was no comparison to plasma. He had also told me that the off angle viewing on the sharp's is rather bad. I am interested in the larger sharps because of the size and price. I am considering the sammy e64e8000 as most of you know, so would this tv be as good as or better in pq ? I got to say the 70 inch size is making me excited especially considering the price compared to a 65 inch plasma. Does anyone have some good pictures of this tv playing something that has really bright colors ? Has anyone tried the 3d on these sets yet ? THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.

god bless

tony

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2661 Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@tonyjd40...it's a tough call because the 8 series Sharps haven't been out that long. It's difficult for an edge lit display at 70" to produce a picture without uniformity issues, my hope would be that Sharp has a handle on it but time will tell. I can say there are still some of the full array 7 series around and for the most part owners seem to be very happy with them. As far as considering plasma the viewing angles will be better and more than likely have better screen uniformity than edge lit displays of this size but they also come with their own set of issues that prevent them from appealing to many folks, myself included. If you do consider a plasma, personally I would look at the Panny before considering the Samsung. Good luck.
post #153 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM

Liked: 10
@ETC

I was not able to get any good quality pictures of the clouding on my 70" 847u.

Looking back at your pictures i would say that mine is slightly better then your 60".

I really wish i never went looking for the problem now as i saw it on a dark scene last night! Really it's not that big of an issue to me and i don't think it takes away from the over all pq. The clouding is only prevalent on total dark scenes/changing input in a pitch dark room. The only reason i see it now is because i went looking for it and now know what to look for. With even just a small amount of light in the room I was not able to see any clouding.

@Tonyjd40

I'll try to get some 3d time and report back in the next day or 2. I borrowed a harry potter 3d blue ray from my parents last night.
post #154 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM

Yes, plasma's have their own "problems" . I really like the 70 inch size of these sharp tv's. Not to mention the pricing is great. I guess the best thing I can do is wait until some people who know alot more than I do about these tv's get them or review them. I am hoping that they really do well, as I would love a 70 inch tv this year.

god bless.

tony

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
post #155 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 AM

Knowing your viewing conditions, uses, and personal sensitivities is critical to making a good choice.

LED is a good fit for me as this display is going in the living room where its bright and gets warm in the summer. Its also on a LOT. The low brightness, energy cinsumption, and heat output of plasma far outweigh any low light PQ benefits for this application.

Settings for Sharp 847 series:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #156 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by cggorman View Post

knowing your viewing conditions, uses, and personal sensitivities is critical to making a good choice.

Led is a good fit for me as this display is going in the living room where its bright and gets warm in the summer. Its also on a lot. The low brightness, energy cinsumption, and heat output of plasma far outweigh any low light pq benefits for this application.

++1100

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #157 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpdressedman View Post

@ETC

I was not able to get any good quality pictures of the clouding on my 70" 847u.

Looking back at your pictures i would say that mine is slightly better then your 60".

I really wish i never went looking for the problem now as i saw it on a dark scene last night! Really it's not that big of an issue to me and i don't think it takes away from the over all pq. The clouding is only prevalent on total dark scenes/changing input in a pitch dark room. The only reason i see it now is because i went looking for it and now know what to look for. With even just a small amount of light in the room I was not able to see any clouding.

@Tonyjd40

I'll try to get some 3d time and report back in the next day or 2. I borrowed a harry potter 3d blue ray from my parents last night.

I warned you to not go looking for trouble....now that you know its there it will haunt your very existance! I'm sure it will be all good if only visible on all black screen in very dark room...you wont be watching an all black screen...
Enjoy!

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #158 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM

My 70 was delivered today. Had a 60 Sony sxrd and Samsung plasma for a brief time. As a previous poster said, my conditions warrant the led because of a picture window on the opposite wall. The Sammy lasted a couple of days because it was unwatchable the better part if the day. Haven't changed much settings wise other than disabling motion enhancements, but it looks AMAZING! No expert, but haven't noticed any ghosting. Not going to look for trouble and enjoy my new set.
post #159 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 07:00 PM

Not sure which one of the many Sharp threads it was mentioned on, but I just spotted a 925 variant on an English site:

http://www.powerdirect.co.uk/product...iFi-LC60LE925E

Regards
post #160 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM

this model has been out for a while now and no reviews. how come? no demand?
post #161 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post

Google is your friend.
post #162 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM

I haven't found a review yet...and I sleep next to Google...(galaxy nexus)

There are a few pseudo-reviews that essentially regurgitate the specs and or CES press release. No measurements or actual useage reports. Heck, even the specs are still incorrect or missing on most sites.

post #163 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post

Google is your friend.

I did search Google and don't see any reviews online.
post #164 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandee View Post

Not sure which one of the many Sharp threads it was mentioned on, but I just spotted a 925 variant on an English site:

http://www.powerdirect.co.uk/product...iFi-LC60LE925E

Regards

that's a 2010 model

Mike

post #165 of 2661 Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post

it's only been out for 2 weeks

Mike

post #166 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 07:20 AM

I tried posting this in flat panel general and got no response, but has anyone found the difference between the 60LE847U and the 60LE845U as far as I can tell they are identical but the 847U is $200 dollars more?
post #167 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 AM

Chris answered that exact question a couple pages up

post #168 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM

Ive seen both in a best buy though... the 845U and the 847U... so essentially the 845u is a best buy exclusive and the 847u is for everyone else and best buy is just charging an additional $200 for it :S
post #169 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Add another 70LE847 owner to the roster. I received mine from Cleveland Plasma today. Chris was a pleasure to work with and the deal was unbeatable. Give him a call.

Ill report back after dark with some impressions and do my best to answer questions.

here's a quick pic with the 70 sitting with a 47. (the 47 is calibrated and the 70 is still in standard mode)

post #170 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Awesome! I miss my LC-60LE847u as I returned it

The clouds really started to bother me, but only on very dark scenes. I just couldn't keep from looking at the upper part of the screen where the clouding was worst.

The Sharp was one great looking LCD TV and looked awesome in a bright room. I liked the build quality for the price. I really wish I'd never have burned the AVS disc now as the Sharp was definitely one of the better LCD TV's you can buy.

I jumped on the Panasonic 60" ST50 bandwagon, but haven't received it yet. Once I receive it, I'll post my thoughts on it in the ST50 owners thread. The Panny was cheaper than the Sharp, but lacks several features the Sharp had namely RS232 and IP control. However, I plan to use this guy to control the Panny over WIFI: http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/wf2irspecs/

Thanks to everyone on here for posting pictures of black screens to help sooth my OCD complex!

, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found
post #171 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGorman View Post

Add another 70LE847 owner to the roster. I received mine from Cleveland Plasma today. Chris was a pleasure to work with and the deal was unbeatable. Give him a call.

Ill report back after dark with some impressions and do my best to answer questions.

here's a quick pic with the 70 sitting with a 47. (the 47 is calibrated and the 70 is still in standard mode)

why is the pic on your 47 inch all washed out? is it due to the camera?
post #172 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM

The 70 is in super-saturated-flaming-torch mode there and the room is pretty bright. Neither looked that way in person. In person the 47 looked normal and the 70 like a Warhol painting.

post #173 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGorman View Post

The 70 is in super-saturated-flaming-torch mode there and the room is pretty bright. Neither looked that way in person. In person the 47 looked normal and the 70 like a Warhol painting.

We would appreciate it if you can let us know the following -

- any clouding issues
- how is the viewing angle?
- any screen uniformity issues?
- what about blacks?

Are you able to get your image to look closer to what plasma has to offer? - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=920011
post #174 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 PM

Keep in mind that I have NOT performed a calibration yet and the set has a grand total of 9 hours break-in, so my current observations are less than rock solid...

My first impression after intital adjustment was, "wow, this thing has got massive potential". Its almost as good out of the box as my older sets were after calibration.

But, to be critical...

Yes, the image has clouding barely visible on 1% full fields and lower with the backlight set to 0 (why be concerned with low-level clouding in a bright room when you meed a bright backlight...wont see it anyway), though. I saw far worse from my LG 47LE5500 local-dimming (edge) set...and in most cases the clouding on the LG was not visible in normal viewing. After break-in and calibration, I expect the Sharp to greatly out-perform the LG.

Bright screen uniformity is very good to excellent. I haven't noticed any DSE yet.
Peak brightness could be a touch higher for rooms that get direct sun, but more than adequate for most ambient light levels.

The black level is quite dark. I haven't put a meter on it yet, but its the best I've seen in years. At least as good, if not better, than the old Samsung CRT I retired years ago. Better than my duvatyned crt rptv from years ago, much better than the LG, and leagues better than my older Bravia LCD. In a dark room it doesn't quite disappear next to the (excellent) bezel, but theater blacks aren't absolute either. (I'm of the opinion that blacker blacks aren't always better. Shadow detail is more important to me)

Shadow detail is equally good. The ramps and pluge patterns I put up showed only minor crush/clipping (again, essentially out-of-the-box). I'm 100% confident this will adjust right out once we dig into the grayscale and gamma adjustments.

Off angle shift is not the best I've seen from LCD (LG was better), but in my 15x15 viewing zone, all seats are quite watchable. We are probably +-45 degrees off axis in our worst case viewing positions.

What else....

The bezel is brilliant! I HATE all these shiny silver bezels and the polished blacks aren't much better. This one doesn't reflect hardly at all in bright room and is just GONE in a dark room. Even the bevel just adjacent to the screen isn't visible at night.

Screen face could stand to be a bit less reflective, but it's not bad. A tilt/swivel mount would be worthwhile if you have a problem with reflections during the day.

I haven't yet found a primary color filter in the menus. I'll miss that if I have to go back to gels.

Red linearity seems off. Brighter reds seem over-saturated. That should tune out no problem.

The motion enhancements are:
240 (looks pretty darn good, but I haven't spent much time with the others yet.)
Aquo 240
120 hi
120 lo

The DLNA browser seems slow, but I haven't played with it much. Playback is fine (wireless N). It just takes too long to page thru random titles if you don't have the metadata and folders all set up for sorting. I don't use DLNA or apps, so none of that really matters to me. The HTPC takes care of all that better than any convergence unit will.

post #175 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Does anyone happen to have there settings? I got the TV on monday and tried the WoW disney calibration disc. Its alright but I know the picture can be better, there are alot of settings still untouched in the advanced menu. Other then that i'm really impressed with the tv and cant wait to show it off May 5th for the Cotto vs Mayweather fight.

by the way its the 70847U

Cheers.
post #176 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 PM

I'm not going to bother with advanced settings until I get quite a bit more break-in time.

post #177 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 PM

What is a reasonable amount of break-in time before calibrating?
post #178 of 2661 Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 PM

Hi Guys,

Quick question as I can't see an 847 on the Sharp US site, is it fully backlit or edge ??

I'm returning to the UK in a few weeks and want to look at these 70 inch puppies when we are back.

I realise Sharp use different model numbers worldwide but the sets are mainly the same, the UK 70LE836 is the US 70LE735 so I'm trying to find out what the UK equivalent of the 847 is going to be

Thanks
post #179 of 2661 Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks to fastslappy I am now torn between the 60" and 70"....It's good to hear more positive feedback on the 847, I think for the money it really cant be beat.

I'll be looking forward to more people posting pics and some calibration settings.

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #180 of 2661 Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 AM

847 is edge-lit. Check www.sharp.ca (Canada). Their site has all the current models.
Fernslinger likes this.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc70le847u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page