Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 2661 Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

I agree that this is totally wrong, unless he was trying to use any color temp other than low. all of the others push blue so much you cannot correct it. grayscale can be dialed in nicely. one of the primaries will be off (forget if it's blue or red) and the secondaries dial in well also. I'll post my results (have been posted on other forums) tonight. calman 4 + D3 = calibration...

I had a best buy calibration done on mine, and the results were worthless. David at CNET was able to calibrate using a low color temp, and got it pretty close to 6500K. Your mileage may vary - every set is different, but I find it hard to believe that an ISF calibrator refused to do anything in a previous post.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/116420536/Sharp-LC-60LE847U-CNET-review-calibration-results
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2661 Old 01-03-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayW View Post

I contacted a local ISF calibrator to calibrate my LC-70LE847OU that I purchased a few weeks ago.  He refused to calibrate it saying that there are problems with 2012 Sharp models.  Here is a snippet from his email: 

Have any others had their sets professionally calibrated or heard about problems calibrating these TVs?

Unfortunately, that Calibrator doesn't have the correct information and may or may not have the proper tools, or even looked for them on the Calibrator Private forums.. Now, due to experiences with past Sharp Model generations, there are Calibrators that have given up on Sharps and just don't take the time to investigate the current tools and knowledge bases available to them.

With ControlCAL in their Kit, there are Calibrators that are calibrating those models.. if you PM me your city/state info, I'll give you a referral.

Need to find a Professional Calibrator? Click Here to PM me with your Display & City

Calibrator List - Pioneer ISFccc Interface

Calibration Reports - Pioneer

ControlCAL™
Designed by Calibrators for Calibrators™

No need to fumble through the Display's Menu with its Remote Control™

post #1893 of 2661 Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

With ControlCAL in their Kit, there are Calibrators that are calibrating those models.. if you PM me your city/state info, I'll give you a referral.
I'd vouch for ControlCAL and this year's Sharp models too. I was able to give ControlCAL a whirl on my 2012 Sharp 847u, before I returned it.

By selecting the Standard gamut and using the CMS in conjunction with my colorimeter, I was able to dial in just about everything close to perfect. (This was on Movie mode.)

When I got a hold of ControlCAL, I was able to do it even more precise and quickly (thanks to not having to mess with the Sharp remote control at all) and lock in my settings with the unlocked ISF modes it provides.

I probably would have kept the Sharp if I could have solved the Soap Opera Effect from being present in all modes, excluding Game mode.

Before you can say, "Well, why didn't you just calibrate in Game mode?" Two reasons:

1. Gamma locked at 2.0
2. Gamut locked at Expanded.

Both of those will yield a less than ideal picture. The amount of tweaking the CMS allows in Game mode is limited as well. Could not get the correct values for Luminance on Blue or Cyan whatsoever. They were always deficient. You could compromise, though.

I consulted with Turbe and Chad B regarding my persistent SOE and it looks like I'm a rare anomaly among Sharps. (Not sure HOW rare, as there were at least 4 other people in this thread that had the same problem.)

I felt relieved when Chad B told me he came across the same thing in a 632u Sharp, though. He ended up doing his calibration using Game mode and the Service Menu. He confirmed you could correct the gamma and grayscale problem with Game mode, but that it that the Service Menu is a nightmare and too hard to explain how.

When I read that, I jumped into the Service Menu and saw something like 23 pages of options with no idea what did what... Gave up after trying a Factory Initialization. (To see if that fixed my SOE... it didn't.)

I was initially going to have Sharp send out a technician to see if they could correct the SOE, but I bet on them wanting to replace a part in the TV and who knows how long that would take. (They might not even have the part on hand, same day, and would probably have to wait to receive it from Sharp.)

I honestly didn't want to wait for all that. I'm sort of an impatient person. My impatience paid off, though, as I went to Fry's on New Year's and managed to snag a Sony 60" EX645 for $900 less than I paid for my Sharp. Hooked up the TV and didn't have any problems with calibrating or SOE on the same sources and same content.

I guess to sum up this whole post. This year's Sharps can be calibrated really well... Just pray you don't get a lemon that has some problem with completely turning SOE off, even when you explicitly tell it to in the menus. You most likely WON'T get a lemon, as the number of satisfied users of a product generally far outweigh the unsatisfied ones and the unsatisfied ones usually show up here while the satisfied ones DON'T.

If you DO get a lemon, though, don't be afraid to exchange it. smile.gif

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #1894 of 2661 Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10

Thanks turbe and others.  I'll keep looking.

post #1895 of 2661 Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Well, Sharp will be replacing my set, should be here within 7-10 Days.

I hope this set doesn't show any uniformity issues, hope the 3D works properly and I'm somewhat curious to see if the SOE effect I and a few others experianced goes away completely (as of now only happens sometimes with my set top box, never with blu-rays etc)

Also FWIW, with the few shortcomings I've had, I'm still very pleased with this set. Nothing makes me grin more then watching IMAX scenes from The Dark Knight Trilogy, or a beautiful disney/pixar movie. Sharp customer support by far is the best support experiance I have ever had. They all speak English, actually from the USA and are sometimes quite fun to talk to while you're waiting. Being a systems engineer, I deal with tech support for mutiple different types of companies, hardware etc, and even with top level support we pay a ridiculous ammount of money for, finding someone who you can actually understand and feels like a person is nearly impossible.

It will be a sad day when they move their support overseas, which im sure is bound to happen.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #1896 of 2661 Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
it's mentioned above by sodaboy that at least 4 others in this forum could not get SOE to go away on their sets. i'll add my experience with 2 70'' 8470 units from costco. turning film mode off completely removed SOE on both of these sets. that's 4 with residual SOE and 2 without.

I'll also echo the utility of controlcal with these sets. you unlock two additional viewing modes, ISF day and ISF night, that you can calibrate using your computer over IP.

Regarding expanded gamut, it will cause you to clip whites pretty drastically.
post #1897 of 2661 Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerlnik View Post

Exactly. Well it's obviously related to the quality of your sources. Like FX channel looks absolutely terrible with all the juddering. CW channel is basically unwatchable. Most blu rays look pretty good, but Battleship is just horrible to begin with-- doesn't matter which source you're using for that POS tongue.gif Now, Avatar 3D looks fantastic... it's a shame no other movie has surpassed the look of that one 3 years later cool.gif
Keep in mind, on such a large display, differences in source quality are more apparent vs a smaller display.

I am actually thinking of going back to directv to see if it makes a difference. I have only had dish since july and while I do enjoy Da hopper and a much cheaper bill I am wondering if it is dish and the way they broadcast that's making some channels look bad, that doesnt explain the blu ray issue, but the only blu ray I've seen with SOE is battleship and I can change from movie to standard and clean it up alot...

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #1898 of 2661 Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I tried out the 3D last night. It was fun to play with, but OMG was it AWFUL looking. It looked kind of fake/ gimmicky, and the top and bottom of the screen was out of alignment with double images appearing. I started to get a headache after a few minutes, so I shut that test down. It was fun to play with though.
post #1899 of 2661 Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

I tried out the 3D last night. It was fun to play with, but OMG was it AWFUL looking. It looked kind of fake/ gimmicky, and the top and bottom of the screen was out of alignment with double images appearing. I started to get a headache after a few minutes, so I shut that test down. It was fun to play with though.

There is an adjustment that you can make for depth of view and that should clear the double images. You must press the D button on the remote as soon as the window comes on the screen that tells you to put on your 3D glasses. It also depends on your source of the images, and a dark room and proper viewing angle and distance also helps. The only 3D I have tried so far are sample videos from an app on my new Sony BluRay player. I thought some of them were fantastic. I did play around with the depth adjustment. At maximum (+10), I could make double images out of letters, but the images stayed clear.
post #1900 of 2661 Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

Turn on 3D open the menu and run the 3D test pattern, according to sharp it should be the cleanest 3D image you see, no ghosting (double images) at all, if you have ghostinf with the 3D test I sgguest you call sharp and have them service the TV, they will replace the board that Handel's 3D. I had the issue (among a few others so in am getting sent a whole new set) and 1-2 other people commented on ghosting and sharp sending over a tech to replace a board.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #1901 of 2661 Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Turn on 3D open the menu and run the 3D test pattern, according to sharp it should be the cleanest 3D image you see, no ghosting (double images) at all, if you have ghostinf with the 3D test I sgguest you call sharp and have them service the TV, they will replace the board that Handel's 3D. I had the issue (among a few others so in am getting sent a whole new set) and 1-2 other people commented on ghosting and sharp sending over a tech to replace a board.

It was pretty good except for some of the balls were a bit see-through on the edges towards the bottom, which I think is some image doubling. I really don't think the TV is bad, I think it's either my prescription glasses, or my eyes. Either that or I'm too close (about 7 feet) to the TV. Not that I really care. 3D is a total gimmick.
post #1902 of 2661 Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 AM

Hey guys. I have had my eye on a 847 for a couple weeks now but the more i read about the Edge Lit models the more they are inferior to the older full-array models (the 632 for example). If the main thing I care about is PQ, do you think the extra money is well spent on the 847?

I'm torn between the 562 versions of these damn TVs I definitely want a 70" display and can spend up to about 2800 on the high end. Is it worth springing for the newer Sharps or are the older ones with full array alot better?

thanks!

Jim
post #1903 of 2661 Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 PM

So I have had mine for 2 days, and after seeing the issues some are having I wanted to point out that when I changed my receiver's (Pioneer Elite SC-65) to "Pure" I was able to watch football and hockey again. I have FiOS Motorola QIP-7216 (silver) boxes for my television signal. They looked noticeably batter when output was set to 720p. Video calibration is next step, but will wait until after the break in period is over. Also have ATV3 and a Samsung bluray player, content looks pretty solid on those.

Jason
post #1904 of 2661 Old 01-06-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
SilverCI,

you will want to visit eb@ys deal of the day today, and answer that question with ease.

Eb@y=MC2.4k

post #1905 of 2661 Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

I am actually thinking of going back to directv to see if it makes a difference. I have only had dish since july and while I do enjoy Da hopper and a much cheaper bill I am wondering if it is dish and the way they broadcast that's making some channels look bad, that doesnt explain the blu ray issue, but the only blu ray I've seen with SOE is battleship and I can change from movie to standard and clean it up alot...

I currently have DirecTV with the HR34 5-tuner DVR. Some channels look great (HBO, SHO) while others are just terrible like I've mentioned (CWHD is a joke). I'd say switch just for the 5 tuners, but the image quality is probably similar. cool.gif
post #1906 of 2661 Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 AM

How many of you guys bought the Sharp extended warranty? My factory is going to expire in a couple months and i've been considering picking it up. Worth the couple hundred bucks or not?
post #1907 of 2661 Old 01-07-2013, 11:38 AM

I have a question for you guys. As of late, I've been noticing lines in certain areas of my 60-847. It usually happens intermitantly during certain schenes. It's almost as if the video processor is having issues displaying certain images, resulting in flashing video lines and backlight flickering . Is this a normal thing for this t.v.? Is anyone else have the same issue?[/SIZE]
post #1908 of 2661 Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy23 View Post

How many of you guys bought the Sharp extended warranty? My factory is going to expire in a couple months and i've been considering picking it up. Worth the couple hundred bucks or not?

I plan on it.. If it was a <1500 dollar tv I probably would not bother, but its a big purchase, id say its worth another couple hundred bucks to get some additional security in case something happens. Let's face it, these things are not built nearly as well as something like the Sony Trinitron my family's had for 30+ years and still works, not that we use it. Was used all day everday for nearly 20 years, never been serviced.

post #1909 of 2661 Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerlnik View Post

I currently have DirecTV with the HR34 5-tuner DVR. Some channels look great (HBO, SHO) while others are just terrible like I've mentioned (CWHD is a joke). I'd say switch just for the 5 tuners, but the image quality is probably similar. cool.gif

I have the HR34 and all channels look great to me.
post #1910 of 2661 Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy23 View Post

I purchased it. It's big and wasn't cheap and I plan to keep it for more than 3 years.
post #1911 of 2661 Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 PM

I got my replacement LC-60LE847U last night. I had an issue with my LC-60LE835U and Sharp had me replace it. Here's the link of the issue I had with the old set : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1447009/purple-spot-on-my-sharp-lc60le835u#post_22773024

I love this set compared to the 835U model. The color and HD picture is better. The only thing I miss is the glossy screen of the 835 compared to the flat matte screen on the 837 but it's not bad and actually helps out with the glare. Overall I'm real happy with it and hoping to see the 9 series models soon smile.gif
post #1912 of 2661 Old 01-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What stand did you guys get for those of you who have the 70?
post #1913 of 2661 Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Can you clarify a bit? Do you mean what stand came with our TV's? do you mean the entertainment stand or wall mount?

post #1914 of 2661 Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Can you clarify a bit? Do you mean what stand came with our TV's? do you mean the entertainment stand or wall mount?
Ok sorry, I meant the entertainment stand. A wall mount I think of well as a wall mount lol. And the stand that comes with it, well there are no options there. smile.gif So yes the entertainment stand. I have been looking for one that fits my new tv and is not 50 feet tall and not 1/4 of the price of the tv. I just think 500 dollars is a lot for a stand. Especially when most of it is particle board, which I hate. So by all means please post what you all have gotten for your 70 sharps, would love to see the pics and or links to the stands. please.
post #1915 of 2661 Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok sorry, I meant the entertainment stand. A wall mount I think of well as a wall mount lol. And the stand that comes with it, well there are no options there. smile.gif So yes the entertainment stand. I have been looking for one that fits my new tv and is not 50 feet tall and not 1/4 of the price of the tv. I just think 500 dollars is a lot for a stand. Especially when most of it is particle board, which I hate. So by all means please post what you all have gotten for your 70 sharps, would love to see the pics and or links to the stands. please.

Being a systems engineer and dealing with people all day.. its just a habit, sorry meant no disrespect, some people just dont say or know what to say with what they actually mean.

This is the stand I have for my 70"

http://www.wayfair.com/dCOR-design-Fiji-60-TV-Stand-F-1173-CG-XSN1132.html

Not the most extravagant thing, but it actually looks pretty nice. My TV is wall mounted, I honestly would not trust the stand that the TV comes with in a million years. Most flimsy TV stand ive personally ever used. I was worried the TV would overhang on the sides of the stand, but lined up it almost looks flush.

Not the best pic but to show it off but..

post #1916 of 2661 Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 PM
SBI

Quote:

Just got this one for the 60", it can accommodate 70" easily.
post #1917 of 2661 Old 01-08-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Being a systems engineer and dealing with people all day.. its just a habit, sorry meant no disrespect, some people just dont say or know what to say with what they actually mean.
Not the most extravagant thing, but it actually looks pretty nice. My TV is wall mounted, I honestly would not trust the stand that the TV comes with in a million years. Most flimsy TV stand ive personally ever used. I was worried the TV would overhang on the sides of the stand, but lined up it almost looks flush.

That's almost identical to the one I got for my 60". I didn't put the doors on, as they would inhibit the component placement and cooling. I have the AVR in the bottom middle below the center channel, and source stuff on the two sides. It works reasonably well. It's a good deal for under $200. It's so hard to find something with enough space these days. Most of them only have a couple of boxes for components, and as it is, I'm completely fully in mine, and my soon to be HTPC is going to be in a normal tower case sitting on the floor next to it. Did you put the glass doors on?
post #1918 of 2661 Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:

No disrespect taken. I was laughing at your reply as I am the exact same way as you and use to me a S.E. my self so i know what you are talking about. The stand looks nice, thanks for the pics. I thought it looked great the first time I saw you post it. My only question is I will be putting the tv on top of the stand, and its 14 1/2 deep the base is. So even though you have not put your tv on the stand it self, have you noticed any bowing of the stand at all? As it looks like all are, that its made from particle board. So any info you can give me would be great. I have seen stands like that look great and solid and then 4 months later I am looking at the stand at a friends house and you can see it leaning from one side to the other.

Totally off topic, what speakers are you using? and are you using the same bookshelfs for surrounds as well? Thanks for all the help. And anybody else if you have pics of your stands or media centers or what ever else they may be called please let me know.
post #1919 of 2661 Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBI View Post

Just got this one for the 60", it can accommodate 70" easily.

Thank you for replying, but that is way out of my price range. I am glad you enjoy it and love it. But I just cant justify spending 500 plus on a stand, or media center or what ever they are called these days lol. But thank you anyways.
post #1920 of 2661 Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No disrespect taken. I was laughing at your reply as I am the exact same way as you and use to me a S.E. my self so i know what you are talking about. The stand looks nice, thanks for the pics. I thought it looked great the first time I saw you post it. My only question is I will be putting the tv on top of the stand, and its 14 1/2 deep the base is. So even though you have not put your tv on the stand it self, have you noticed any bowing of the stand at all? As it looks like all are, that its made from particle board. So any info you can give me would be great. I have seen stands like that look great and solid and then 4 months later I am looking at the stand at a friends house and you can see it leaning from one side to the other.
Totally off topic, what speakers are you using? and are you using the same bookshelfs for surrounds as well? Thanks for all the help. And anybody else if you have pics of your stands or media centers or what ever else they may be called please let me know.

I don't think there would be much problem with bowing as their are the 2 center vertical support boards though I am not sure, for what its worth, I was standing on it (Im 6'1 230lbs, i asked my wife if it looked like it was going to break, she said it did not move at all, dident bend in or anything). Realistically if you want a stand really that sturdy, you would really need something liek the post above. I know its pricey, but its somewhat of an investment. I Kind of wish I just spent the money on something like that now, but I could not find anything that woudl go with the rest of my stuff at the time for under 800, a lot of the ones ive seen were all red/natural/tan colored.

I will see if I can dig up the TV stand that coems with the TV and see if it will fit on it.

As far as the speakers go. They are HTD Level 2 bookshelf speakers, Yes I have them all around, though I will be upgrading the fronts to towers, the bookshelfs give plenty of sound, but it feels so empty with the skinny stands so I'm just going to get the full towers to put in their place.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc70le847u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page