Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 2661 Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk785 View Post

Hm, ya- that looks about like mine did. If i had more restriction L to R that would probably work--but the room opens up to both sides and back further.

I'm debating the vt50 65" too... 4k price difference between it in the elite--if money isnt an option, not sure which really looked better in the end...

Since it's just me and my lovely spouse, sitting directly in front of our set at 90 degrees, we don't have an issue with the picture fading as you move left or right. if your main concern is off axis viewing, your would be better off with a plasma display. Even the Elite is best viewed straight on.

If you have windows, and can control ambient light hitting the screen, either set will work for you. The Elite has a much brighter picture, with great black levels, but the fidelity of the colors do shift as you get to the extreme side of the panel. The Panasonic, has great black levels, has a more accurate, lifelike picutre, no problems with off axis viewing, but it's not as bright, and a tad smaller. And since the VT series is at the end of its product cycle, you could probably pick up 2 for the price of one 70 inch Elite.

5 years ago, a 70 inch lcd with local dimming was $63,000.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/samsung-latest-70-inch-full-hd-lcd-tv-with-local-dimming-technology/

Or, back in 2005, a 70 inch Sony rear projection SXRD could be had for a paltry $13,000:
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-rear-projection-hdtvs/sxrd-rear-projection-hdtvs/sony-qualia-006-70-inch-sxrd-hdtv.html

Have you considered a large commercial grade monitor? Panasonic offers a 70 inch LCD monitor, and an 85 inch plasma with a very good anti-glare screen:
http://www.panasonic.com/business/plasma/index.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2661 Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 85
FWIW, my TV has exactly the same off angle viewing issues as the two of you. I think this is just the deal with LCD. Some are better. I can't use the Elite because the screen is too reflective. I'm pretty happy with this set though. Thought about a plasma but the room is not that big and my friend's plasma makes me feel like I'm sitting by a fire (gives off a ton of heat) which really sucks in the summer.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #1983 of 2661 Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 AM

Liked: 13
I'll go stare at the elite a bit more, it didnt seem to suffer nearly as bad off-angle as the quattron sharp did. Maybe I just want it to be better and its all in my head.

If I had a room where off-angle wasn't an issue, the sharp quattron is definitely nice if you're in front of it. I just couldn't believe at 15 degrees off-center how quickly the picture degraded. I'm going to go spend some more time in magnolia today staring at the tv and figuring out if I want it or the VT... i did see the new vt60's and zt series announced, but there's no telling how long it will be until they're out or what problems they'll have. I almost prefer to buy at the end of the cycle where everything has already been discovered (problem wise)
post #1984 of 2661 Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Liked: 10
anyone that go the extended warranty for their tv through sharp invitation, did you just do the online serial registration, or did you have to sign up for the mysharp? i just did the online registration yesterday, but didn't get any email confirmation... the my sharp part seems like it's down. i'd like to see how much it is for me before i pick up the costco warranty

Waiting For Neural Implants.
post #1985 of 2661 Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Sharp support up until this point has been great. At this time I am EXTREMLY annoyed.

They told me my TV (see pictures in previous post) are operating within spec, and that this issue is showing up because my contrast was to High (it was set to 34 which is where it needs to be set for proper contrast anyways) Better yet this issue does not matter what the backlight/contrast or brightness is set to, it still does it.

I spent an hour arguing with a "supervisor" who told me they will review it further. Per their request when I sent in the pictures I did before and after with old tv and new and you can see how the issue has shifted.

I am annoyed beyond belief, and right now im stuck between a rock and a hard place because I would rather have the old TV back. I can't return it as far as I know because im now over the return period from where I ordered it. I went through Sharp directly to get it replaced because where I ordered it would not have it in stock for at least a month (christmas time, extremely busy etc etc)

I am so annoyed with Sharp right now. It's even more aggrivating because if you look at the Elite thread even they are having issues.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #1986 of 2661 Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady195 View Post

Sharp support up until this point has been great. At this time I am EXTREMLY annoyed.

They told me my TV (see pictures in previous post) are operating within spec, and that this issue is showing up because my contrast was to High (it was set to 34 which is where it needs to be set for proper contrast anyways) Better yet this issue does not matter what the backlight/contrast or brightness is set to, it still does it.

I spent an hour arguing with a "supervisor" who told me they will review it further. Per their request when I sent in the pictures I did before and after with old tv and new and you can see how the issue has shifted.

I am annoyed beyond belief, and right now im stuck between a rock and a hard place because I would rather have the old TV back. I can't return it as far as I know because im now over the return period from where I ordered it. I went through Sharp directly to get it replaced because where I ordered it would not have it in stock for at least a month (christmas time, extremely busy etc etc)

I am so annoyed with Sharp right now. It's even more aggrivating because if you look at the Elite thread even they are having issues.

All TV's have issues--it's a matter of which issues you can tolerate. There's never been a perfect TV, nor has there ever been perfect production to where no inherent flaws are created in the production process. more people come to forums to report problems than they do to celebrate their purchase--then there are those in between problems and perfect that might not report them either...

I usually have good luck tweeting the company I'm having problems with--they seem to have more pull when you report it via facebook or twitter.
post #1987 of 2661 Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All TV's have issues--it's a matter of which issues you can tolerate. There's never been a perfect TV, nor has there ever been perfect production to where no inherent flaws are created in the production process. more people come to forums to report problems than they do to celebrate their purchase--then there are those in between problems and perfect that might not report them either...

I usually have good luck tweeting the company I'm having problems with--they seem to have more pull when you report it via facebook or twitter.

You're right, and up until Sharp telling me its within spec and that I don't know what i'm doing, I was not angry. I am angry that they are telling me my contrast was up to high which is why im seeing this issue and they won't replace it.. I chewed the lady out a new ******* for telling me that and shes calling me back periodocially to let me know they are still being reviewed, while asking me for my purchase reciepts etc which im happy to oblige.

When she called back she said they tech were looking at the lord of the rings image I sent them, and based on that my contrast was to high (it was at 35, im pretty sure thats default in how the TV ships too none the less) Amazing to me that they deteremined that was from this picture..

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
post #1988 of 2661 Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM

I find I get better results with customer care if I'm ridiculously nice--it's sometimes difficult, and my niceness could turn into condescension (with being overly nice) if they're giving me ****. Just keep asking for a supervisor or manager if you don't get what you want. Everyone has a manager--there's no end of the line in customer service. I think your best bet is to ask them replace it once more, and if its not to your liking you'll take your business to another vendor/brand.

Seriously though--tweet @Sharp_USA and just say no one @sharp_USA wants to help me with the horrible TV problems I have. --you'll usually get a DM request after you follow/they follow you.
post #1989 of 2661 Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
insist on a tech visit , say the camera you are using is not showing the defect due to the camera having known PQ issues

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #1990 of 2661 Old 01-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I find I get better results with customer care if I'm ridiculously nice--it's sometimes difficult, and my niceness could turn into condescension (with being overly nice) if they're giving me ****. Just keep asking for a supervisor or manager if you don't get what you want. Everyone has a manager--there's no end of the line in customer service. I think your best bet is to ask them replace it once more, and if its not to your liking you'll take your business to another vendor/brand.

Seriously though--tweet @Sharp_USA and just say no one @sharp_USA wants to help me with the horrible TV problems I have. --you'll usually get a DM request after you follow/they follow you.

Ive been nice with them through and through, I did not yell, I raised my voice a little and expressed my disgust. Every other person ive talked with has been great, and now they are telling me I'm wrong, with an issue exactly liek the first now only worse.

I will call, and call and call and call till I get what I want.

If Sharp goes bankrupt you can blame me tongue.gif

post #1991 of 2661 Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

After lots of bitching and complaining, sharp has approved another replacement.

I am extremely persistent.. They will learn this quickly.

post #1992 of 2661 Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 AM

wow, that only too you 3 hours and 21 min

post #1993 of 2661 Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New LC-70LE847u owner here.........I previously had two 745u's and returned them due to screen uniformity issues. I decided to give the 847u a try to see if uniformity was any better than 745u. I just purchased the 847u last week at HH Gregg and it is a December 2012 unit per the serial number tag on the box. The uniformity is marginally better than the 745's but not a lot better. The top two corners on this unit are pretty good and show minimnal light bleed but I do have a cloudy spot on the bottom right corner that shows up in dark scenes and movie ciredits. My conclusion is that all of these 70in Sharps are going to have these clouds to some degree and if I want a 70in edge lit LED TV then I'm going to have to live with it. I only really notice it when I turn the lights off and watch a movie with a dark scene. Here are a couple of pics taken with an 8 mega pixel camera phone. TV was in Movie mode with backlight on 12, brightness at 0 and contrast at 32
847u 3.jpg 748k .jpg file 847u 1.jpg 16k .jpg file ]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 847u 3.jpg (748.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 847u 1.jpg (15.5 KB, 57 views)
post #1994 of 2661 Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunWhittyRun View Post

New LC-70LE847u owner here.........I previously had two 745u's and returned them due to screen uniformity issues. I decided to give the 847u a try to see if uniformity was any better than 745u. I just purchased the 847u last week at HH Gregg and it is a December 2012 unit per the serial number tag on the box. The uniformity is marginally better than the 745's but not a lot better. The top two corners on this unit are pretty good and show minimnal light bleed but I do have a cloudy spot on the bottom right corner that shows up in dark scenes and movie ciredits. My conclusion is that all of these 70in Sharps are going to have these clouds to some degree and if I want a 70in edge lit LED TV then I'm going to have to live with it. I only really notice it when I turn the lights off and watch a movie with a dark scene. Here are a couple of pics taken with an 8 mega pixel camera phone. TV was in Movie mode with backlight on 12, brightness at 0 and contrast at 32
847u 3.jpg 748k .jpg file 847u 1.jpg 16k .jpg file ]

Turn the backlight lower and you probably won't notice it as much either.

I user +10 backlight in the day, and -8 at night for movie viewing and I never noticed the clouding spots on mine

post #1995 of 2661 Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM

I'll try turning it down for night time movie watching and see what that does. I think the clouding on mine is probably fairly typical for most of these 70in Sharp's......it's not too bad and I only notice it when I'm really trying to look for it. This is the third Sharp that I have had and they have all had this to some degree..........although I think this one is the best and i plan on keeping it.
post #1996 of 2661 Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 AM

New 60LE845U owner here. Got it open box at best buy for 1503 after tax. Looking forward to poring through the thread for settings advice.
post #1997 of 2661 Old 01-23-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Lockwood View Post

New to the LED/LCD's. I've had a Mit 73" 835 for four years and have had zero issues with it.

I just purchased a new LC-70LE847U from H.H. Gregg here in the great St. Louis area. I've got it mounted and I purchased a new Onkyo LS3100 2.1 + sub speaker setup and it's the best sounding I've heard in this size and price range. It's also Bluetooth for those that like to have music going without TV.

Okay, my issue is getting the WIFI to setup on the 847U.

I've gone through all the setup menus and when I'm all done it lists my WIFI network for the house, but never lets me enter my password to connect.

I have a Netgear newer dual band N that kicks butt big time over my Sisco system I had. I tried the WPS setup and nothing.

So where am i going wrong on my setup? I'm not usually this challenged in these matters, but this is not working the way it should. I really don't want to hardwire with a CAT5 cable if I can help it.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

I've set up 2 so far with no issues using WPA. Make sure you're holding the button down long enough for the WPS to enable. On my Netgear router, one of the flashing amber lights turns on steady when WPS is enabled. I think you may also have to verify that WPS is available in the router settings. Seems like mine has a checkbox, so yours may be unchecked.

Here's pic with the WPS button ID'd.

Sharp LC-70C8470U
Onkyo TX-SR606
PS-3
Homegrown HTPC

HCFR 3.0.4.0
i1 Display Pro (i1D3)
ControlCAL Elite X5 Edition v2
post #1998 of 2661 Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
name="Basstrix" url="/t/1397140/official-sharp-aquos-lc-60le847u-lI'm70le847u-owners-thread/1980#post_22870575 l've set up 2 so far no issue using WPA. Make sure you're holding the button down long enough for the WPS to enable. On my Netgear router, one of the flashing amber light turns on steady when WPS is enabled. I think you may also have to verify that WPS is available in the router settings. Seems like mine has a checkbox, so yours may be unchecked.

Here's pic with the WPS button ID'd.

Basstrix, thank you.

I played with the router a bit more and the thing sync'd because the next thing it asked me for my password. All is now well with my WIFI.

I'm getting used to the TV and loving it. The SOE is really throwing me. I'm not sure that I dislike it or not. I'm on the fence with this for now. I've not made any adjustments to the video yet, I'll give a couple weeks to settle in and then try some calibrations listed for the 70 847u.

Thanks again for the help.

Dan
post #1999 of 2661 Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Nv View Post

No luck with mine either. In addition to losing sync hourly, the audio will get very distorted once an hour and delayed. A simple change of channel and back clears the issue. Weird thing is that the issues start when a station goes to commercial. Time to call Sharp I think.[
/quote]

I am having exactly the same problems as described above with my 60LE847U. ) As described in this post,
both issues go away temporarilly by changing the channel. Also my signal comes solely from a roof mounted anntena, no cable box. Also the issues come and go without the A/V receiver attached.

Does anyone know if either of these problems have been resolved?
Thanks...
post #2000 of 2661 Old 01-28-2013, 03:01 AM

RunWhit,

That is certainly noticeable with the photos you uploaded. For me, and it's just ME, (I'm OCD and do understand people's strive for perfection) I have learned to live with the small stuff. I'm sure you can get rid of that flashlighting if you move up in price and quality but my *GUESS* is that this is pretty good. I have the same set and have tweaked it endlessly. See what others have to say.

post #2001 of 2661 Old 01-28-2013, 07:30 AM

DeadEd,

How does your uniformity compare to the pictures of mine that I uploaded? Like I said, this is the 3rd Sharp I've had and they have all had a cloud or flashlight somewhere on the screen. The one I currently have has the best uniformity and I just need to learn to live with it because I'm sure if I got another one it would be roughly the same. So for now, I'm hanging in with this one.
post #2002 of 2661 Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anybody NOT have lip sync issues with this TV? If so, what sources are you using? I really want to pull the trigger on the 70", but I can't live with lip sync issues. The rest of the issues I read about this TV I can live with.
post #2003 of 2661 Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDCL View Post

Does anybody NOT have lip sync issues with this TV? If so, what sources are you using? I really want to pull the trigger on the 70", but I can't live with lip sync issues. The rest of the issues I read about this TV I can live with.

Are you using an AVR? If so you can adjust lip sync through that. I have Dish and I think my issues are mostly through them, some channels are good while others are off just a bit.

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #2004 of 2661 Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have no lip sync issues with my set . Switching thru an avr. I have Comcast .
Best,
Jeff
post #2005 of 2661 Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

It seems like this is mostly content related. Like maximus mentioned, some shows watched through my DirecTV are just a bit off, while others are perfectly fine. Also noticed that even some blu-ray's are off a bit at times as well. I'm also running HDMI through an AVR.
post #2006 of 2661 Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:

No lip sync issues with Blu Ray PS3 HDMI 3, DVD HDMI 2, Verizon FIOS DVR HDMI1 (as long as STB audio output is set to LPCM, not Auto)
post #2007 of 2661 Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunWhittyRun View Post

DeadEd,

How does your uniformity compare to the pictures of mine that I uploaded? Like I said, this is the 3rd Sharp I've had and they have all had a cloud or flashlight somewhere on the screen. The one I currently have has the best uniformity and I just need to learn to live with it because I'm sure if I got another one it would be roughly the same. So for now, I'm hanging in with this one.

It's not quite as bad but close, but ONLY when the screen is completely black. If there is text on screen or any picture it's not visible at all really.

post #2008 of 2661 Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM

Some of the issues raised on this board have me questioning whether I should purchase the LC-70LE847U.

I am in the final stages of making a decision and down to the following two options:

Panasonic 65GT50 from Paul's TV for $2199 (no tax, free delivery)

OR

LC-70LE847U 70" AQUOS Quattron LED Smart TV (comes with 2 3D glasses and Sharp 3D blu ray player..about $250 value) for $2399 (no tax, free delivery)

I do realize that this is a Sharp forum but I was hoping for some objective opinions. My room has a few windows and can get kinda bright, but I typically have the shades drawn and it isn't an issue with my old panasonic plasma monitor. The 70" would be nice and my wife likes brighter TVs but I just don't think the LED will compare when it comes to picture quality...but then again, I figure both will look outstanding after the old monitor. While my seating for the TV is generally straight on, I am concerned about off angle viewing with LED as well as motion blur.

I would welcome any opinions. Please help this confused consumer:eek:
post #2009 of 2661 Old 01-30-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdego02 View Post

Some of the issues raised on this board have me questioning whether I should purchase the LC-70LE847U.

I am in the final stages of making a decision and down to the following two options:

Panasonic 65GT50 from Paul's TV for $2199 (no tax, free delivery)

OR

LC-70LE847U 70" AQUOS Quattron LED Smart TV (comes with 2 3D glasses and Sharp 3D blu ray player..about $250 value) for $2399 (no tax, free delivery)

I do realize that this is a Sharp forum but I was hoping for some objective opinions. My room has a few windows and can get kinda bright, but I typically have the shades drawn and it isn't an issue with my old panasonic plasma monitor. The 70" would be nice and my wife likes brighter TVs but I just don't think the LED will compare when it comes to picture quality...but then again, I figure both will look outstanding after the old monitor. While my seating for the TV is generally straight on, I am concerned about off angle viewing with LED as well as motion blur.

I would welcome any opinions. Please help this confused consumer:eek:

All of these LCD/LED tv's have issues, the key is finding one with issues you can live with and not to go looking for trouble in them. I'd say you'll be safe with the sharp and that is a great price for the 70 847....hard to pass that up

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #2010 of 2661 Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 PM

There are defintely off angle viewing issues with these edge lit LED TV's. I watch mostly straight on so it's not an issue for me but you should definitely check one out in the store before you purchase.....and that is an AWESOME price for an 847u with the 3D glasses. I love the picture on the 847u.....nice and bright and crisp. My biggest issue is uniformity with these LED TV's.......I think they all have some degree of clouding and flashlighting.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc70le847u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page