Official Sharp AQUOS LC-60LE847U & LC-70LE847U Owners Thread - Page 89 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else noticed that watching movies on the tv from an Apple TV or roku produces a frame skipping or stuttering effect? Anyone know how to get rid of this? I'm watching movies on standard mode with the aqua motion and movie mode turned off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM

So any thoughts as to why on low color temp in movie mode I would be faced with more blue than I can possibly reduce to both balance RGB and bring my luminance/gamma in line?

I've tried a few different contrast settings and the best/lowest overall grayscale dE (CIE94 w/ gamma) I can get is like 5.7. And that's using 2 point adjustment. With 10 point my RGB levels improve but my overall dE actually gets worse, probably because the gamma falls off a cliff above 60%.

So...any thoughts? please...
Old 01-15-2014, 05:14 AM

I found modifying the MOVIE mode to the following:

AV MODE: MOVIE
OPC: ON
Backlight: +12
Contrast: +32
Brightness: -6
Color: 0
Tint: +2
Sharpness: 0

--Advanced sub-menu

C.M.S. -Hue
R: 0
Y: 0
G: 0
C: 0
B: 0
M: 0

C.M.S. -Saturation
R: +4
Y: 0
G: -10
C: 0
B: 0
M: +1

C.M.S. -Value
R: 0
Y: 
G: 0
C: 0
B: 0
M: 0

Color Gamut Range: EXPANDED

Color Temp: Low

[10 Point Setting Off]
R Gain (LO): +15
G Gain (LO): 0
B Gain (LO): +15
R Gain (HI): +15
G Gain (HI): -20
B Gain (HI): +5

[10 Point Settings: ON (Really 4-Points) ]
Position +1
R Gain: 0
G Gain: 0
B Gain: 0

Motion Enhancement: 240Hz
Quad PIxel Plus 2: off
Active Contrast: Off
Gamma Adjustment: +2
Black Level: [grayed out]
Film Mode: Standard
Digital Noise Reduction: Low
Monochrome: Off
Range of OPC: Max: +16  /  Min +9
Old 01-15-2014, 06:32 AM

Thanks. Are these from a calibration or did you arrive at these settings by eye? Because a couple of your settings stand out as very different from mine (and from many others) as follows:

Brightness: -6
Color Gamut Range: EXPANDED
Motion Enhancement: 240Hz
Gamma Adjustment: +2
Film Mode: Standard

Also I'm not sure what you meant by the following:
[10 Point Settings: ON (Really 4-Points) ]
Position +1
R Gain: 0
G Gain: 0
B Gain: 0
Old 01-18-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robarivas View Post

So any thoughts as to why on low color temp in movie mode I would be faced with more blue than I can possibly reduce to both balance RGB and bring my luminance/gamma in line?

I've tried a few different contrast settings and the best/lowest overall grayscale dE (CIE94 w/ gamma) I can get is like 5.7. And that's using 2 point adjustment. With 10 point my RGB levels improve but my overall dE actually gets worse, probably because the gamma falls off a cliff above 60%.

I kind of came to a conclusion so I'm posting it here in case someone else someday finds it useful. It turns out my issue may have been the AVSHD 709 disc itself (both the MP4 version and the disc version). Using AVSHD 709 my brightness setting was apparently too high and my contrast too low. I switched to Chad's test patterns which had me lower brightness to -6 or -7 as opposed to zero and had me max out my contrast (+40 on my set). I displayed Chad's patterns as photos using WD TV Live and I abandoned 10 point in favor of 2 point adjustment. I'm still troubled that I had to take blue all the way down and I'm also a little concerned that I had to max out my contrast but its hard to argue with the much improved results (see below). I'm curious if anyone knows why I would have had such different experiences between Chad's patterns and the AVSHD 709 disc?

Avg. Gamma: 2.25 [note: I was able to achieve this gamma without having to move my gamma slider away from neutral (i.e., 0)]

CIE94 average dE's
Absolute Y with gamma: 2.10
Absolute Y without gamma: 1.99
Relative Y: 3.70

Old 01-18-2014, 04:39 PM

I have a sharp LC-50LE650U that does the same thing. Sharp had me take it to the shop where I was told the tv had a bad main board. I purchased the tv in October 2013 and in November it started having problems. Sharp sent me another tv and it has the same problem. I don't know what to do at this point. Any ideas?

Old 01-19-2014, 12:43 PM

That stutter is driving me nuts too.  Seems to be getting worse lately.  I notice it on regular HD cable, especially Discovery channel (Friday's Gold Rush show was impossible to watch).  I had the best luck switching to Game mode because that seems to be the only setting that truly turns off the motion enhancement.  Like I said, it's pretty prevalent for me especially watching any channel that has a movie on it.

I have all set top box and BlueRay going through my AVR instead of direct into the TV.  Could this be part of my issue?

The stuttering is soon going to be a game changer for me and have to get a different tv.  It sucks too because I have a pretty good one with minimal blooming.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:26 PM

Any of you guys using a wireless keyboard setup with your 847? I haven't seen any recommendations on which if any work well, or is there a proven android app that works well?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:43 PM

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I bought a Sharp 70 last June, and everything was great until this morning when I noticed between the bottom center and the bottom right corner a piece of the screen seems to be dim, for example if the whole screen is blue then that section seems dark blue, if the whole screen is white then it seems like a shadow, and if its grey then its just black. I read messages about flashlight effect and clouding but I don't know if that's what it is. I searched all this morning to find anyone who may have already had this problem but no luck. Has anyone heard of this or seen this before? Here are some pictures so you guys can see what I am talking about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/queequeeg78/13250222555/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/queequeeg78/13250559244/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/queequeeg78/13250213995/

Thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
looks like you lost a portion of the backlighting. don't wait, call sharp and start a ticket. Good luck and keep us in the loop.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:38 PM

Thanks Greeno,

Well I called them today and they immediately told me to send in those pictures of the tv and it will be in reviewed within the next 24-48 hours. But here is my concern, I bought the T.V with all my tax money last year (my only big purchase), and well since then I haven't been able to afford the warranty, I bought in June of last year and Sharp told me I had a one year warranty, but I don't know if this problem covers it. I am in fear that they are going to tell me its going to be over 400 or more for the parts and labor. I guess I will have to wait and see.

Thanks again
Old 03-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Quote:

I kind of came to a conclusion so I'm posting it here in case someone else someday finds it useful. It turns out my issue may have been the AVSHD 709 disc itself (both the MP4 version and the disc version). Using AVSHD 709 my brightness setting was apparently too high and my contrast too low. I switched to Chad's test patterns which had me lower brightness to -6 or -7 as opposed to zero and had me max out my contrast (+40 on my set). I displayed Chad's patterns as photos using WD TV Live and I abandoned 10 point in favor of 2 point adjustment. I'm still troubled that I had to take blue all the way down and I'm also a little concerned that I had to max out my contrast but its hard to argue with the much improved results (see below). I'm curious if anyone knows why I would have had such different experiences between Chad's patterns and the AVSHD 709 disc?

Avg. Gamma: 2.25 [note: I was able to achieve this gamma without having to move my gamma slider away from neutral (i.e., 0)]

CIE94 average dE's
Absolute Y with gamma: 2.10
Absolute Y without gamma: 1.99
Relative Y: 3.70

First if all thanks for sharing..
I have the new 70SQ and I have found doing a 10p that my gamma also falls off the cliff around 60. I was reading Chad B's review of the 857 and it said he had the go into the service screen and make adjustments there to get the 10p to work. In so many words. I don't know enough to do that so I will leave that to the pro's. I will check out Chad's test patterns so thanks again. If you find anything else out keep us posted..
Old 03-18-2014, 09:47 PM
VBB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVmanic View Post

I have the new 70SQ and I have found doing a 10p that my gamma also falls off the cliff around 60. I was reading Chad B's review of the 857 and it said he had the go into the service screen and make adjustments there to get the 10p to work. In so many words. I don't know enough to do that so I will leave that to the pro's. I will check out Chad's test patterns so thanks again. If you find anything else out keep us posted..
I think you will find that Chad's patterns are no different than the AVS HD 709 ones when shown at the same levels. I think the only reason the OP saw this big change in black and white levels is because his WD TV media player switched to RGB Full mode to show the images instead of either RGB Limited or YCbCr. A lot of media players and perhaps also Blu-ray players do this when dealing with pictures instead of video files.
Chad B likes this.

Henry
Sharp LC-70LE857U
Onkyo HT-RC360
Mede8er MED600X3D

DarbeeVision Darblet DVP-5000

Synology DS1813+

X-Rite i1Display Pro

Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

Quote:

I think you will find that Chad's patterns are no different than the AVS HD 709 ones when shown at the same levels. I think the only reason the OP saw this big change in black and white levels is because his WD TV media player switched to RGB Full mode to show the images instead of either RGB Limited or YCbCr. A lot of media players and perhaps also Blu-ray players do this when dealing with pictures instead of video files.
Thanks for the reply. I am still having trouble doing a 10 point gray scale calibration. I am using Movie mode and color temp Low. As for Gamma I am using -2.
I took base reading with all enhancements off and the gray scale blue level is really high and then red and green is really low way below the 100 line. I am starting to think that what Chad B. was talking about having to tweak gray scale in the service menu is the only way to get thing to fall in. I am at -30 blue at some points with no more room for adjustment. I know this is a different set but any help or feed back would be great.
Thanks....
Old 03-19-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
here's a pdf of my results using movie mode, low color temp. color and tint where 0 and gamma was 0. I'd have to look up the rest of the settings:

sharp_isfday_06.23.20122.pdf 402k .pdf file

blue cannot be tamed, but that's a detail. I didn't plot gamma, but it looks pretty good. content looks good with no crushed blacks and decent shadow detail.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sharp_isfday_06.23.20122.pdf (402.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-19-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I am still having trouble doing a 10 point gray scale calibration. I am using Movie mode and color temp Low. As for Gamma I am using -2.
I took base reading with all enhancements off and the gray scale blue level is really high and then red and green is really low way below the 100 line. I am starting to think that what Chad B. was talking about having to tweak gray scale in the service menu is the only way to get thing to fall in. I am at -30 blue at some points with no more room for adjustment. I know this is a different set but any help or feed back would be great.
Thanks....
Yes, I've run across a few recent Sharps that had to have adjustments started in the service menu in order to give the user menu enough range, and that's not exactly an easy task to do or teach.

However, here's something you can do if your set just won't calibrate to D65: calibrate to D75 instead. It's not the standard, but it's close; and a D75 calibration can look subjectively good.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBB View Post

I think you will find that Chad's patterns are no different than the AVS HD 709 ones when shown at the same levels. I think the only reason the OP saw this big change in black and white levels is because his WD TV media player s:rolleyes:witched to RGB Full mode to show the images instead of either RGB Limited or YCbCr. A lot of media players and perhaps also Blu-ray players do this when dealing with pictures instead of video files.

This is correct. I seemed to be experiencing a level change. So I believe Chad's patterns are essentially no different than the AVS HD 709. I ultimately ended up just trying out a bunch of combinations of Contrast and Backlight and then chose whichever combo gave me the best results. My final gamma is still pretty low (about 2.0) and thus my deltaE Absolute Y is still pretty high (between 5 and 6). But my deltaE without Y (a little under 2) and my deltaE Relative Y (a little under 3) are not too bad so I've pretty much given up. I assume any remaining imperfections are due to some combination of my equipment's (TV and colorimeter) limitations. I guess this proves to me that professional calibrators do matter and do have something to offer.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Quote:

Thanks....
Yes, I've run across a few recent Sharps that had to have adjustments started in the service menu in order to give the user menu enough range, and that's not exactly an easy task to do or teach.

However, here's something you can do if your set just won't calibrate to D65: calibrate to D75 instead. It's not the standard, but it's close; and a D75 calibration can look subjectively good.

Thanks I'll give that a shot. I would think Mid-Low should be around D75 but I will check that with the meter. I have a technical background so I am still going to do whatever reading and or looking at spec sheets to see if I can find what I need to change. In the service menu.wink.gif I love a challenge..

Big thanks for your help..
Old 03-19-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Quote:

Thanks....

Sorry for double quote but tapatalk doesn't let me edit.
I found that when I meter gray scale with just the window pattern by hitting next on my blu ray 0 thur 100 and then go into make adjustments with just the 10p menu up to the right that if I take a reading before changing anything just that menu window being open on the side changes the reading.
For instance with the menu open taking a reading RGB readings will go up. I guess it adds just enough lighting to make it change. Then after I am done getting things close I do a run with no menu on the side and my setting are off. Any advice on this one.
Thanks...
Old 03-31-2014, 12:27 PM

Liked: 14
I'm unhappy. I have noticed that one pixel on my screen is permanently glowing blue now. Apparent from 10' away. Anyone else have "dead" pixels? mad.gif
Old 08-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I found that the setting posted here (http://www.controlcal.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=899) work best for me.

Though I had to tweak them slightly (swapping a negative value for a positive one and vise-versa) and I have no clue if the poster intended the backlight to be -12 or +12.

Anyhoo, here are the settings I am using with the portions I altered bolded:

Quote:
Model: LC-60LE847U
AV Mode: Game

OPC.......................Off
Backlight ................-12
Contrast ................+27
Brightness...............Zero
Color......................-6
Tint.......................Zero
Sharpness...............Zero
Gamut ....................N/A
Motion Enhance........N/A
Quad Pixel...............Off
Active Contrast........Off
Gamma...................-2
Film Mode...............N/A
Digital NR ................Off
OPC Range..............-16 to +16
Color Temp..............Low

CMS
HUE
R.....-3
Y.....+14
G.....-11
C.....+11
B.....-3
M.....-1

SATURATION
R.....+14
Y.....+17
G.....+13
C.....-15
B.....-6
M.....+14

VALUE
R.....-4
Y.....+4
G.....+30
C.....+30
B.....-6
M.....-10

COLOR TEMP
R Gain (LO) +7
G Gain (LO) Zero
B Gain (LO) -27
R Gain (HI) -1
G Gain (HI) Zero
B Gain (HI) -27

I feel this is the best setting for my TV so far since it doesn't give me frame rate issues and colors look wonderful but in no way "cartoony". My only issue is that only the ISF modes truly disable the "Power Saving" feature (even though I have it set to off) and therefore there is some minor strobing (or is the proper term "flashlighting"?) when the image is dark but not completely black (most noticeable during end credits against a black background or during a fade out).

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-24-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Aquos Lc60le847u 60 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d 1080p Led Lcd Tv , Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc70le847u 70 Inch 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - Lc70le847u by PriceGrabber.com