Official LG 47LM6700/55LM6700 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - 2012 - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #511 of 2137 Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Member
 
Hotthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcave View Post

I have done input lag tests. I thought I had posted the results here, but I can't find it now.

I used my PC connected to my TV via HDMI and my monitor via DVI. I set them up so they could both be shot at the same time with my digital camera while a timer was running. I subtracted the time on the monitor from the time on the TV to get the input lag measurement.

In all tests I got right at 80ms input lag. This includes changing the HDMI input label to Game and PC and with each trying different modes including Game, Standard, and isf Advanced. The only thing that changed were the available settings.

Last week I noticed HDMI 4 is labeled "PC" on the back of the TV, so I tried it and found it tested at 70ms. Not that big of an improvement.

Ironically, I had tested the input lag using the Rock Band calibration tool a long time ago and got the same result.

Ouch not what I was hoping for...This tv is beautiful..I guess I need to pass or go for the 7600.

Did you change the input to pc and put the tv in game mode?
Hotthree is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #512 of 2137 Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 PM
Senior Member
 
cow736's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigationroad View Post

Yes they give it a really positive review. They think the 3D picture is the best they have ever seen and give it their full endorsement.

Televisioninfo.com are saying this years LG 2012 is full passive 3D 1080p not halved? Is this true? I did notice the 3D picture quality is really good.
cow736 is offline  
post #513 of 2137 Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Senior Member
 
MentalDistortion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sje3156 View Post

OK its been 4 days now that I have had the 55lm6700 up and running and have been running it through its courses and I must say "I WANT MY 55LW6500 BACK" the picture quality was better on the lw6500 IMO. It was capable of getting much brighter and you can adj a lot more things in the service menu like thx bright room. You cannot adj the true motion on it. It seems as the local dimming is way over active too. The lm6700 is a very good looking TV, accurate color, and no light bleeding from the leds. If it could be a little brighter and I could adj service menu settings I would love it more but that's not going to happen. To me it just seemed that the lw6500 had it all the only downfall and I mean the only downfall to me on the lw6500 was the light bleeding from the edges but I had it adj so it was barely an issue. Idk why I posted this just needed to get it off my chest.lol

well hopefully its not too late and you can still return this tv.

in my opinion this Tv looks good, and is pretty bright. this is actually the first LED tv that i have been impressed with. if your the type that usually watched stuff in torch mode than this tv may not be for you, but i never watch anything in torch mode, so it works fine for me. i also usually dont watch stuff with frame interpolation because i dont like the "SOE" for my movies.

the 2 expert settings allowed me to dial it in pretty good and the PQ looks very similiar to my plasma. the fact that the Tv can also pass through DTS is a big plus. the 3d is the best i've seen. much much better than the 3d when compared to the 6500, but this only matters if you watch a lot of stuff in 3d.

one thing i will say is that sd looks a lot worse than my plasma, but so do our samsung lcd/led tvs.
MentalDistortion is offline  
post #514 of 2137 Old 04-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
MentalDistortion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cow736 View Post

Televisioninfo.com are saying this years LG 2012 is full passive 3D 1080p not halved? Is this true? I did notice the 3D picture quality is really good.

im not sure if its full 1080p, but it definitely looks better than last years passive 3dtv sets. the reason why i didnt get the older passive set was because in 3d, i could see horizontal lines across the screen.

i was showing my friend few scenes from avatar 3d, and he didn't mention that he noticed a loss in resolution, and kept saying how impressed he was with the PQ and 3d.

he has a samsung active 3d set, and also commented on how there was no crosstalk on this tv.
MentalDistortion is offline  
post #515 of 2137 Old 04-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Member
 
chinatti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcave View Post

I have a remote similar to a Harmony. You can program them to do everything important. However there are a few buttons on the magic remote that are not on the regular remote that I haven't ben able to program. They are "My Apps" and "Home". Neither of these are required for ordinary use.

Got my LM6700 set up, and my harmony remote experience is consistent with this. Those two buttons seem to be missing from the Harmony configuration software. It's a bit frustrating that the TV supports IR codes for almost all, but not *ALL* of the remote functions. Once I'm into those menu(s) I can navigate fine with the harmony. LG support seemed to indicate that I need to use the original remote for accessing these menus - I'm hoping they're wrong. Does anyone know if:

1) There are IR codes available that I can program into the remote for either of these buttons?

2) An older LG model might have similar features that might map to remote codes (i.e. program my harmony with a second TV device for this)

3) There are some other key sequences that will get me into those menus without having to press the "home" or "MyApps" buttons?

Thanks.....
chinatti is offline  
post #516 of 2137 Old 04-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Member
 
erikcave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotthree View Post

Ouch not what I was hoping for...This tv is beautiful..I guess I need to pass or go for the 7600.

Did you change the input to pc and put the tv in game mode?

Yes, I tried changing the input to both pc and game and tried game mode.
erikcave is offline  
post #517 of 2137 Old 04-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Member
 
AV-Freak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cow736 View Post

Televisioninfo.com are saying this years LG 2012 is full passive 3D 1080p not halved? Is this true? I did notice the 3D picture quality is really good.

3D ist still half 1080p. You can clearly see the black lines if you are near enough (under 7 feet).

Actually LG has increased the recomended minimum viewing distance for 3D of the 2012 models.
AV-Freak is offline  
post #518 of 2137 Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Member
 
skeetergmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalDistortion View Post

to be honest, im not sure, but i dont think its normal.

Thanks for the help. I'll see if they'll let me exchange it for another 6700...there's so many things I do like about this TV. Hopefully someone can figure out how to enable the DVR in the service menu. I may start going through some numbers myself.
skeetergmania is offline  
post #519 of 2137 Old 04-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Member
 
needmovies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still stuck on my toslink issue and lg support has nothing. They said I should probably get the tv serviced.

But before I do that, I just want to find someone else who could get this setup correct, just so I'm 100% sure that my tv has issues.

@MentalDistortion (or anyone who has a lm6700, ps3, and av receiver), if it's not too much of a bother would you be able to try my setup on your spare time?

Basically I have this:
PS3->HDMI->TV
+
TV->Toslink->Receiver

And I'm expecting the TV to pass the 5.1 signal from PS3 to Receiver. And one way I've been doing to check for this is by going into the PS3 Sound menu and setting it up for HDMI sound, then checking that the Auto detect finds the 5.1. So far for mine it only finds 2 channel PCMs.

Thanks
needmovies is offline  
post #520 of 2137 Old 04-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Member
 
gjpwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetergmania View Post

Thanks for the help. I'll see if they'll let me exchange it for another 6700...there's so many things I do like about this TV. Hopefully someone can figure out how to enable the DVR in the service menu. I may start going through some numbers myself.

I am also hoping to find a way to get the DVR option enabled. I noticed the UK version of the TV is DVR ready (http://www.lg.com/uk/tv-audio-video/...v-47LM670T.jsp) I wonder why its not enabled in the US
gjpwiz is offline  
post #521 of 2137 Old 04-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Member
 
sje3156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalDistortion View Post

well hopefully its not too late and you can still return this tv.

in my opinion this Tv looks good, and is pretty bright. this is actually the first LED tv that i have been impressed with. if your the type that usually watched stuff in torch mode than this tv may not be for you, but i never watch anything in torch mode, so it works fine for me. i also usually dont watch stuff with frame interpolation because i dont like the "SOE" for my movies.

the 2 expert settings allowed me to dial it in pretty good and the PQ looks very similiar to my plasma. the fact that the Tv can also pass through DTS is a big plus. the 3d is the best i've seen. much much better than the 3d when compared to the 6500, but this only matters if you watch a lot of stuff in 3d.

one thing i will say is that sd looks a lot worse than my plasma, but so do our samsung lcd/led tvs.

Well I don't want to make it sound horrable I'm sorry if I did. I had my lw6500 dialed in perfect and yes I like torch mode not all the time but when I want it on a bright day I know its there. The 3d, IMO, is much better on the 6500 its better on real 3d and 2d-3d conversion. Between myself and my 3 kids I watch a lot in 3d and I can def tell a dif you said this is the first led TV you have owned so you can't really say whether or not the lm6700 has the better than the 6500, yea maybe you compaired them in the store but its not the same, I promise, I had the 6500 in my house for about 25 days so I know the 3d on it very well and its def better when it comes to 3d . However this TV (lm6700) is very nice looking and I have gotten the picture looking really good the picture now is just as good as the picture I had on the 6500 it just won't get near as bright. Like u said its like having a plasma but I bought a LCD/led TV because I like brightness if I wanted one to look like plasma I would have paid a lot less and gotten a plasma and for the whole SOE i had the manual setting set to a point to where it didnt have the SOE an still provided a better pic on a fast moving scene. All-n-all the lm6700 is still awesome and I am gonna keep it I hear they are working on an update to allow for true motion control now just if they could let me get into all the tool options to make adj in there all would be good. If I could just switch them out though and not have to deal with the shipping back and waiting I would get my 6500 back because it, for me, was perfect.
sje3156 is offline  
post #522 of 2137 Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
xcrunner529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Couple questions...just got promoted at work and looking to splurge a bit on a really good TV (coming from a 32" LG 32LH20, which has served me well despite only 720p):

1. I really don't think i can consider myself a videophile, but how much will the lightbleeding annoy me when watching blu-rays with black bars? I really don't want to see white patches the whole time.

2. Does the Netflix and Vudu apps send out Dolby Digital PLUS through ARC/HDMI? And are these apps accessable through IR controls like my Harmony? I read the special buttons don't have IR codes.

Thanks!
xcrunner529 is offline  
post #523 of 2137 Old 04-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Member
 
tallen94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmovies View Post

I'm still stuck on my toslink issue and lg support has nothing. They said I should probably get the tv serviced.

But before I do that, I just want to find someone else who could get this setup correct, just so I'm 100% sure that my tv has issues.

@MentalDistortion (or anyone who has a lm6700, ps3, and av receiver), if it's not too much of a bother would you be able to try my setup on your spare time?

Basically I have this:
PS3->HDMI->TV
+
TV->Toslink->Receiver

And I'm expecting the TV to pass the 5.1 signal from PS3 to Receiver. And one way I've been doing to check for this is by going into the PS3 Sound menu and setting it up for HDMI sound, then checking that the Auto detect finds the 5.1. So far for mine it only finds 2 channel PCMs.

Thanks

I don't have your exact setup (I use the ARC feature to go HDMI out to the receiver), but I do have some experience dealing with PS3 output settings. You would probably be better in this case not using Auto for your audio output and explicitly setting 5.1 but not lossless.
This is pure conjecture, but I don't think the tv can downconvert the audio. Normally the PS3 would detect that your tv can accept lossless 5.1 or 7.1 sound and happily feed that to the tv. But you've set your tv to output to your receiver over the optical link. In Auto mode, the PS3 tries to decide what the "best" format for your setup is. It is probably considering lossless to be the best, but the only lossless mode your tv can pass through to the receiver is stereo PCM because toslink can't support lossless 5.1, only two channel PCM. So instead of Auto, try manually de-selecting anything but Dolby Digital 5.1. Also dig into the Advanced Audio options on your 6700. I seem to remember seeing some options there when I did my initial setup for ARC that related to the optical output. There may be a preferred output format there as well.
tallen94 is offline  
post #524 of 2137 Old 04-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
MentalDistortion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sje3156 View Post

Well I don't want to make it sound horrable I'm sorry if I did. I had my lw6500 dialed in perfect and yes I like torch mode not all the time but when I want it on a bright day I know its there. The 3d, IMO, is much better on the 6500 its better on real 3d and 2d-3d conversion. Between myself and my 3 kids I watch a lot in 3d and I can def tell a dif you said this is the first led TV you have owned so you can't really say whether or not the lm6700 has the better than the 6500, yea maybe you compaired them in the store but its not the same, I promise, I had the 6500 in my house for about 25 days so I know the 3d on it very well and its def better when it comes to 3d . However this TV (lm6700) is very nice looking and I have gotten the picture looking really good the picture now is just as good as the picture I had on the 6500 it just won't get near as bright. Like u said its like having a plasma but I bought a LCD/led TV because I like brightness if I wanted one to look like plasma I would have paid a lot less and gotten a plasma and for the whole SOE i had the manual setting set to a point to where it didnt have the SOE an still provided a better pic on a fast moving scene. All-n-all the lm6700 is still awesome and I am gonna keep it I hear they are working on an update to allow for true motion control now just if they could let me get into all the tool options to make adj in there all would be good. If I could just switch them out though and not have to deal with the shipping back and waiting I would get my 6500 back because it, for me, was perfect.

actually in my house we have 1 samsung led, and one samsung lcd, but this is the first LED that i have bought for my room, but i have had other LEDS in the past that i have returned after setting up, because i wasnt happy with them.

the reason why i didnt get the 6500 model is because i couldnt stand the inaccurate colors. I also watch a lot of horror movies, and i couldnt stand the fact that the 6500 would lose so much detail in dark scenes. Sometimes i couldnt even see the buttons on a black shirt, or the wrinkles on dark colored jeans. the 6700 shows all those details.

i shop at frys, so i always try tvs in my home, i dont do comparisions at the store, because the lighting at the store is not the same as the lighting in my room.

i think the major difference between you and I, is that i prefer accurate & natural colors, not torch mode settings.

the 3d on the 6700 doesn't look like the resolution takes a big hit the way the 6500 did. when i had the 6500, i could see horizontal lines, and on the same 3d material i dont see it on the 6700.

im just curious, how bright do you like your picture to be? When i turn up the brightness too much on the 6700, the colors looked washed out or something, and black becomes grey.
MentalDistortion is offline  
post #525 of 2137 Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
MentalDistortion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmovies View Post

I'm still stuck on my toslink issue and lg support has nothing. They said I should probably get the tv serviced.

But before I do that, I just want to find someone else who could get this setup correct, just so I'm 100% sure that my tv has issues.

@MentalDistortion (or anyone who has a lm6700, ps3, and av receiver), if it's not too much of a bother would you be able to try my setup on your spare time?

Basically I have this:
PS3->HDMI->TV
+
TV->Toslink->Receiver

And I'm expecting the TV to pass the 5.1 signal from PS3 to Receiver. And one way I've been doing to check for this is by going into the PS3 Sound menu and setting it up for HDMI sound, then checking that the Auto detect finds the 5.1. So far for mine it only finds 2 channel PCMs.

Thanks

did you try the dual output setting? if you are using hdmi sound ONLY, then im not sure if the tv will pass hdmi from the ps3, to toslink from the tv back to the receiver.

selecting dual output will let the audio go through both the hdmi and toslink. if you select HDMI only, than sound wont output through the toslink.

i never use "auto-detect" on anything, i set everything up manually. im not sure if this will help you, but have you tried to change the pcm/bitstream settings?
MentalDistortion is offline  
post #526 of 2137 Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Member
 
chinatti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got the new set Thursday, set it up immediately (in a temporary spot), and everything looked good. Some moderate flashlighting, but nothing I can't live with. Got the set installed on the new wall mount (ultra slim mount #5918 from monoprice - VERY tight fit, but looks great now!) over the weekend, still looking good. Monday morning got a call from my wife that she was watching something and all of the sudden the backlight in roughly 1/4 of the screen crapped out. See video here:

http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0327.mp4

Got home Monday night turned the set on, initially thought it might have "fixed" itself, but then on further inspection (esp. with some of the builtin JPG files) I could notice a slight difference in backlight intensity in the affected area. Watched some more TV after that and slowly that area started to get darker and darker - never as bad as the original problem shown in the video, but still VERY noticable.

Luckily the local shop (Paul's TV) will come out and swap the unit on-site ... except that they're currently out of stock for a week or two. Ah well. Hopefully this is just an aberration / manufacturing defect and the new set won't have any issues......
chinatti is offline  
post #527 of 2137 Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Member
 
chinatti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

2. And are these apps accessable through IR controls like my Harmony? I read the special buttons don't have IR codes.

You probably saw my earlier post, but I haven't had any luck with this. Once you hit the "MyApps" or "Home" button, you can then switch to your IR remote, but I can't figure out how to get into those menus via IR.

Also, I noticed last night (as I was looking at some JPEG files to try to analyze a backlight problem I just ran into), when the set is viewing a JPEG image file, the "switch input" IR code (e.g. to switch to HDMI-1) doesn't work - you first have to exit to the menu using the Magic Remote.

I must say this lack of IR support for Apps / SmartTV functions is *very* frustrating...
chinatti is offline  
post #528 of 2137 Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Member
 
jimj55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a link to another review of the LM6700.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...-55lm6700.html

Jim
jimj55 is offline  
post #529 of 2137 Old 05-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Member
 
needmovies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen94 View Post

I don't have your exact setup (I use the ARC feature to go HDMI out to the receiver), but I do have some experience dealing with PS3 output settings. You would probably be better in this case not using Auto for your audio output and explicitly setting 5.1 but not lossless.
This is pure conjecture, but I don't think the tv can downconvert the audio. Normally the PS3 would detect that your tv can accept lossless 5.1 or 7.1 sound and happily feed that to the tv. But you've set your tv to output to your receiver over the optical link. In Auto mode, the PS3 tries to decide what the "best" format for your setup is. It is probably considering lossless to be the best, but the only lossless mode your tv can pass through to the receiver is stereo PCM because toslink can't support lossless 5.1, only two channel PCM. So instead of Auto, try manually de-selecting anything but Dolby Digital 5.1. Also dig into the Advanced Audio options on your 6700. I seem to remember seeing some options there when I did my initial setup for ARC that related to the optical output. There may be a preferred output format there as well.


i was playing around with this the other day. I actually got the 5.1 audio to work for SOME games while the others have no audio at all lol.

Good point on the lossy 5.1 vs lossless 2 channel. I probably have a lossless 2 channel freq selected and receiver is trying to use it. I'll play around a bit more when I get home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalDistortion View Post

did you try the dual output setting? if you are using hdmi sound ONLY, then im not sure if the tv will pass hdmi from the ps3, to toslink from the tv back to the receiver.

selecting dual output will let the audio go through both the hdmi and toslink. if you select HDMI only, than sound wont output through the toslink.

i never use "auto-detect" on anything, i set everything up manually. im not sure if this will help you, but have you tried to change the pcm/bitstream settings?

I actually don't mind doing dual output. this is actually what I have at the moment and it kinda fixes the issue. Problem is that my av receiver only has 1 toslink input, and I want my xbox plugged in also, as well as the digital audio from tv if I'm playing from DLNA/usb


a couple more problems to add to this issue:
- as far as I can tell, xbox doesn't have a manual audio setup (xbox is actually my brother's so I'm a bit unfamiliar with it). If I could get the manual audio setup working for my ps3, xbox would still be stuck in 2 channel
- I can't use dual audio hdmi+toslink with the xbox, I think I can only use either hdmi or component+toslink, not hdmi+toslink lol
needmovies is offline  
post #530 of 2137 Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Member
 
jaethos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Xbox 360 will do both at the same time. It defaults to this and actually can't be deactivated. If you have one of the newer slim models it's as simple as plugging in both cables. If you have an older model you'll either need to get the special skinny optical dongle or you'll have to break apart the plastic covering on any standard cable hookup with optical. In order to make it fit in at the same time as the HDMI cable.
jaethos is offline  
post #531 of 2137 Old 05-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Member
 
tallen94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmovies View Post

a couple more problems to add to this issue:
- as far as I can tell, xbox doesn't have a manual audio setup (xbox is actually my brother's so I'm a bit unfamiliar with it). If I could get the manual audio setup working for my ps3, xbox would still be stuck in 2 channel
- I can't use dual audio hdmi+toslink with the xbox, I think I can only use either hdmi or component+toslink, not hdmi+toslink lol

jaethos beat me to it already, but here's a video of doing the cable hack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m03KaoJt_sk
tallen94 is offline  
post #532 of 2137 Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Newbie
 
jmorgania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I purchased a Yamaha home theater system with 4 HDMI inputs with one HDMI ARC to the tv. My initial thought was to place all my inputs (Satellite, Blu-Ray, Xbox, Wii) all into the receiver. It will pass full HD and 3D signals. It is the newest model receiver and will even pass 4k for future expansion if needed. My thought was that I would have 1 input on the TV and the receiver can easily switch between all the inputs. This would limit the amount of wires run through the wall to the wall mounted TV. After reading the forum I'm thinking I should keep my Xbox and Wii run directly to the TV and use the HDMI ARC to get the audio to the receiver. My reason for this is directly related to TV settings for game/PC mode that reduces lag, improved gaming picture and performance. I'm still planning on keeping the Blu-ray and satellite into the receiver.

Any thoughts or experiences with these setups? I don't want to lose gaming performance but I also don't want to have to change the input on a receiver and then change the input tag on the TV as well to get the game mode features. I figure the Blu-ray and satellite having the same tv settings would be appropriate though.
jmorgania is offline  
post #533 of 2137 Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Member
 
tlockhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just read about 15 pages of this thread, and wow, the truemotion thing does seem kind of odd.

I have owned an LG 42ld520 for the past 2 years, I'm young and that was my first HDTV purchase.

Now I am putting that TV in my man cave and need to purchase a new tv. Not looking to spend more than 1000$. Been looking around awhile, searching forums and ads for the best deals.

I can currently get this set, 12 pairs of 3d glasses, free 2 days shipping for 1000$ on Amazon.

you think Ill be able to find anything better for 1000?
tlockhart is offline  
post #534 of 2137 Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Senior Member
 
MentalDistortion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlockhart View Post

I just read about 15 pages of this thread, and wow, the truemotion thing does seem kind of odd.

I have owned an LG 42ld520 for the past 2 years, I'm young and that was my first HDTV purchase.

Now I am putting that TV in my man cave and need to purchase a new tv. Not looking to spend more than 1000$. Been looking around awhile, searching forums and ads for the best deals.

I can currently get this set, 12 pairs of 3d glasses, free 2 days shipping for 1000$ on Amazon.

you think Ill be able to find anything better for 1000?

if you're stuck on a LEDtv than i dont think you will find anything better, but if you dont mind plasma, than you might have a few options, but the 3d might not look as good. as far as i know, there are no passive plasma sets, and active glasses cost a lot.
MentalDistortion is offline  
post #535 of 2137 Old 05-02-2012, 05:01 AM
Member
 
needmovies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaethos View Post

The Xbox 360 will do both at the same time. It defaults to this and actually can't be deactivated. If you have one of the newer slim models it's as simple as plugging in both cables. If you have an older model you'll either need to get the special skinny optical dongle or you'll have to break apart the plastic covering on any standard cable hookup with optical. In order to make it fit in at the same time as the HDMI cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen94 View Post

jaethos beat me to it already, but here's a video of doing the cable hack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m03KaoJt_sk

yeah I read about this hack when I was browsing last night. I don't wanna do it though since the xbox is not mine

I just went ahead and ordered one of those optical adapters, $4 from amazon. It probably has the xbox reboot issue but I don't think it'll be a problem for my setup



I'm also giving up on my toslink issue. I ordered a cheapo toslink switch with 3 inputs and I'll be using this in the mean time. I'm then planning on upgrading my receiver sometime in the summer so I could get nice 5.1s on all my stuff.


I also kinda figured out the manual audio settings for my ps3 to get it to work with the tv's otpical passthrough. although I did run into some weird issues with this setup.

Just throwing this out there in case anyone has some thoughts. With my setup (ps3->hdmi->tv->toslink->receiver), I have two games I've been testing with. Killzone 3 and Dark Souls. In the manual settings, whenever I choose BOTH Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1, Killzone has no sound at all while Dark Souls work flawlessly. If I remove DTS and only select Dolby, both of them work. AFAIK both of these games should support Dolby and DTS and my receiver can do both also.

Well I don't need to worry about this anymore since I did decide to use a switch. But I am still curious as to why this happens
needmovies is offline  
post #536 of 2137 Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
xcrunner529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For what it's worth - I ordered one of those adapters...it might have been from monoprice possibly and have never experienced the reboot issue. Not sure why.
xcrunner529 is offline  
post #537 of 2137 Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Member
 
getbigg21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 47LM6700 and I have seemed to have a few issues with it and just wanted to see if I am the only one.

Sometimes the magic remote won't work. I push to change the input or turn it off and it lags. Sometimes it takes about 2 mins b/f anything happens.

Next thing is that sometimes while watching something from my computer through HDMI the tv almost reboots/turns off and then back on.
getbigg21 is offline  
post #538 of 2137 Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Member
 
tallen94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by needmovies View Post

Just throwing this out there in case anyone has some thoughts. With my setup (ps3->hdmi->tv->toslink->receiver), I have two games I've been testing with. Killzone 3 and Dark Souls. In the manual settings, whenever I choose BOTH Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1, Killzone has no sound at all while Dark Souls work flawlessly. If I remove DTS and only select Dolby, both of them work. AFAIK both of these games should support Dolby and DTS and my receiver can do both also.

Well I don't need to worry about this anymore since I did decide to use a switch. But I am still curious as to why this happens

The tv probably won't pass DTS out. Your receiver will show what format (Dolby or DTS) it is receiving and I bet it's only ever DD. It took tvs a long enough time to pass through Dolby Digital, so not passing through DTS is not surprising and it is probably a licensing issue. IIRC, the lw6500 had a service menu item (disabled) to turn on passing of DTS through the optical out.
As for why one title works and one doesn't, that's easy. The PS3 leaves a lot of how games output audio and video up to the game's themselves. If you set up your PS3 to allow all the audio formats, the game picks one from that list to output. Again, the game should pick the "best" output, but what is "best' is debatable under certain circumstances. DTS uses less compression and could be considered "best", but as you've seen it doesn't work in certain setups.
tallen94 is offline  
post #539 of 2137 Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
xcrunner529's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 536
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I thought the 6700 did support DTS?
xcrunner529 is offline  
post #540 of 2137 Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Member
 
tallen94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

I thought the 6700 did support DTS?

"Supporting" can mean many things. It may accept DTS and allow you to hear audio through the tv speakers or using the ARC, but might not support it for pass through on the optical out. Like I said, on the 6500 the pass through option for DTS was hidden in the Service Menu just like the disabled THX settings. After all, this tv also "supports" TruMotion but right now we have no way of controlling it.
tallen94 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 47lm6700 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm6700 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off