Official LG 47LM6700/55LM6700 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - 2012 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2139 Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First time owning a "smart" TV. I'm a bit confused about how to get digital audio from the embedded Netflix player. Is my only option to connect an optical cable back to my receiver?

I'm also getting a Samsung 320 bluray player delivered tomorrow - should I just go ahead and use the netflix player built into the bluray player instead?

Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2139 Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Hmm that's concerning. Why is there such a stark difference between that and the televisioninfo.com review? I wonder if they're just loving the 3D or maybe some promotional support from LG. Just weird.

i have no idea, but i do not really agree with the cnet review. i think that the black levels are not as bad as they make it seem.

but i do want to mention that i am not watching on cinema mode, im watching on isf1 and isf2 modes. not sure if that would make a difference or not.

i also did not use a meter, the only thing i used was the disney wow disk.
post #633 of 2139 Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marius View Post

First time owning a "smart" TV. I'm a bit confused about how to get digital audio from the embedded Netflix player. Is my only option to connect an optical cable back to my receiver?

I'm also getting a Samsung 320 bluray player delivered tomorrow - should I just go ahead and use the netflix player built into the bluray player instead?

Congrats on your first Smart TV! To get digital audio out of the Netflix app built into your tv, an optical audio cable to a receiver would be your only option, as it's the only digital output on the TV. You could also try the Netflix app on your blu ray player as well... which may have a different interface that you either like more or less.
post #634 of 2139 Old 05-10-2012, 09:25 PM

Liked: 14
Has anyone watched Yogi Bear 3D during the night scenes is the night blue off on your sets? Anyone mind posting their calibrated settings? I can't seem to get blue right seems a little exaggerated in the movie. Is it me or just the movie?
post #635 of 2139 Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cow736 View Post

Has anyone watched Yogi Bear 3D during the night scenes is the night blue off on your sets? Anyone mind posting their calibrated settings? I can't seem to get blue right seems a little exaggerated in the movie. Is it me or just the movie?

i havent watched yogi bear, but it could be the movie, or it could be the settings on the tv. i did watch avatar and how to train your dragon in 3d, and those movies looked really really nice. what i would do is pop in a movie that you have watched several times, and try to see if the picture matches what you remember seeing on your previous tv.

the beginning of how to train your dragon is a night time scene, and in 2d and 3d i think it looks pretty good. its dark, but the details in the shadows are still visible. in avatar, when jake first goes to pandora, he gets stranded and there is a night time scene and this scene looks very nice as well.

is there a certain "time" in the movie like a particular scene that you are talking about? i can go get my friends yogi bear 3d disk and try it out.
post #636 of 2139 Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sje3156 View Post

Yea i have come to love this tv very much i have only owned lcd tvs so when i got one that lots are compairing to a plasma as far as brightness it took me a min to get used to it but i have come to like it very much. To the other guy, im not complianing about the tv i was simply asking what that ment, the 60hz, i kinda was thinking that it was what the cable was putting out but i wanted to be sure cause it just seems lg put a little less into this tv vs the 6500 i had. back to the truemotion, alot of ppl dont like the truemotion because of the SOA but i found a perfect setting with the blur and djudder to where it would not have that but would improve lag in fast scenes very much so i cant wait for the update it will complete the set, well and when someone finds the code for the service menu i hear its a certian remote u have to use with the code but who knows, that will def complete it. Thanks for the replies brothers...

i just emailed LG again and gave them the link the the cnet review:http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...&tag=cnetRiver

this review clearly states that the dejudder is not working, and to me it is a feature that should be there. i watch a lot of nature documentary type material, and there are a lot of panning scenes that judder.

hopefully it will make them push out the update faster.
post #637 of 2139 Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM

my friend has his tv hooked up to his HTPC, and he has a lot of movies on his hard drives, both in 2d and 3d. these are the settings he uses. i think it is a little too bright, but for some of you that are looking for a brighter picture these may work for you.

expert 1

100 (back light)
90 (contrast)
53 (brightness)

hsharp = 25
vsharp = 25
color 55
tint = 0
dyn contrast = off
c.gamut= stndard
gamma 2.2
c temp = medium

blk level = low
dimming high

we are currently watching "safari park adventures in 3d" and it actually looks pretty good. his 3d settings are all on default. when i get home i will check my settings to see how it looks compared to his.

for live action he says he uses these settings on expert 2 (looks almost the same as expert1, but the color temp is set to warm instead of medium):
expert 2

H&V sharp = 25
color 55
tint 0
dyn contrast off

gamut = standard
gamma 2.2

c.temp = warm
blk level = low
dimming = high

forgot to add that EE was set to off, and real cinema was set to on, for both of these settings.

safari park adventure is a show that is shown on skytv, it was about 45 minutes long. It is shown in sbs format and it looked really good. the grass, animals, and sky looked very natural. after that we watched the rory macdonal vs nate diaz match in 2d, and to my surprise the skin tones actually looked pretty accurate. i was assuming that it would look too washed out and bright, but it looked good on his tv. he had one lamp on. the lamp was average i would say, not too bright, not too low.

im not sure if there is a difference between watching on a htpc or watching on a bluray player. he did not have his bluray player hooked up, so we couldnt do any comparisons. the only thing he had hooked up was his htpc and soundbar.
post #638 of 2139 Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Hmm that's concerning. Why is there such a stark difference between that and the televisioninfo.com review? I wonder if they're just loving the 3D or maybe some promotional support from LG. Just weird.

The settings used during the CNET review seem way off from what most people have posted, and for what I calibrated my tv to using the Disney WOW Blu-ray. Their brightness and backlight settings seem way to high. I've also found I get better darks with local dimming set to low as opposed to high as they set theirs.
post #639 of 2139 Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorgania View Post

The settings used during the CNET review seem way off from what most people have posted, and for what I calibrated my tv to using the Disney WOW Blu-ray. Their brightness and backlight settings seem way to high. I've also found I get better darks with local dimming set to low as opposed to high as they set theirs.

cnet's review does not seem to be fair or was done without well calibrated settings.. i get a pretty good picture with decent blacks..i turned off most of the extra options in the picture option and expert/advanced control settings..
post #640 of 2139 Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hmmm, the cnet review does have me concerned. It's a shame when a TV takes a step backwards. I saw this TV in BB and it looked pretty darn good to me, but of course it's hard to make a judgement just spending a few minutes with a television. My in-laws have the LW5300, and it has a really good pictures, although a few annoyances. I love the 3D on these LG tvs. Much better than the active TVs I've played with in BB.
So that's why I'm torn when it comes time to finally get my own HDTV.....go with a plasma for the stellar pictures quality, or go with an LG for the stellar 3D? Why can't they make the Panasonic plasmas have passive 3D? That would be the best of both worlds.
post #641 of 2139 Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post

hmmm, the cnet review does have me concerned. It's a shame when a TV takes a step backwards. I saw this TV in BB and it looked pretty darn good to me, but of course it's hard to make a judgement just spending a few minutes with a television. My in-laws have the LW5300, and it has a really good pictures, although a few annoyances. I love the 3D on these LG tvs. Much better than the active TVs I've played with in BB.
So that's why I'm torn when it comes time to finally get my own HDTV.....go with a plasma for the stellar pictures quality, or go with an LG for the stellar 3D? Why can't they make the Panasonic plasmas have passive 3D? That would be the best of both worlds.

I don't trust reviews even if its by CNET unless I see it for myself. So far most of the people are happy with the LM6700 minus the option to turn on and off Trumotion but that should be coming in a firmware update later on this month.

I would say just go to a best buy and check it out for yourself. Let yourself be the judge and don't let 1 sour grape (CNET) ruin a nice TV in the LM6700. Look at Amazon's reviews which are mostly positive for additional information. I have the 47LM6700 tv for about a week now and I love it. The passive 3D rocks and I have been making good use of the Netflix app to watch my favorite shows. All LG needs to do is fix some of the bugs and enable Trumotion in the options via firmware update and I'll be a happy camper.
post #642 of 2139 Old 05-11-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've noticed that most calibrators perfer the bightest picture that can dial in. I've had numerous projectors and CRTs professionally calibrated by IFSers that have national reputations, and all of them had my displays to the point of blooming. I'd always drop the contrast/backlighting right after they left. Ther real benefit of calibration is for color accuracy anyway.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #643 of 2139 Old 05-11-2012, 02:46 PM

Liked: 13
Hello All -

Finally got my TV up on the wall and have about 1 day with it under my belt.

So far I'm VERY impressed with both the 3D and the 2D. Coming from an LCD 42LD520 - I see a huge improvement.

I do see a little flashlighting in the top right corner of the tv - noticed it when watching Immortals ( a very dark movie). I only notice it on blacks - is this normal or should I look into swapping it out (bought off Amazon, so have another 3 weeks to decide).
post #644 of 2139 Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 PM

Trying to figure out how to hook up a pair of Sennheiser Headphones using their wireless transmitter. There are two plugs (a black one and a red one) out of the back of the transmitter. I can't find "audio out" out of the TV other than optical. Has anyone done something like this? My wife needs higher volume then I do.

I could use an A/V receiver with the optical hookup but would prefer a more direct hookup if possible.
post #645 of 2139 Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpapciak View Post

Trying to figure out how to hook up a pair of Sennheiser Headphones using their wireless transmitter. There are two plugs (a black one and a red one) out of the back of the transmitter. I can't find "audio out" out of the TV other than optical. Has anyone done something like this? My wife needs higher volume then I do.

I could use an A/V receiver with the optical hookup but would prefer a more direct hookup if possible.

My headphone solution: I purchased a pair of Turtle Beach PX5 wireless headphones (refurbished) that are powered by a USB cable and have optical in/out. I use the TVs USB to power the transmitter and hooked up the optical input. That solved having no TV audio out. They are 7.1 Dolby Digital and provide the best hearing experience. I wear hearing aids which I take out when I wear the headphones. The volume on the headphones and TV speakers are separate.
post #646 of 2139 Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 AM

For anyone interested. Here are my current display settings as calibrated via Disney WOW. So far I'm very pleased with these settings.

Backlight 60
Contrast 90
Brightness 61
H Sharpness 10
V Sharpness 10
Color 52
Tint G6

Expert Control:
Dynamic Contrast Off
Super Resolution Off
Color Gamut Standard
Edge Enhancer High
Color Filter Off
Gamma 2.2

White Balance:
Color Temp Cool
Method 2 Points
Pattern Outer
Points High
Red 0
Green 0
Blue 0

Color Management all 0

Picture Option:
Noise reduction Off
MPEG Noise reduction Off
Black level Low
LED local dimming Low
post #647 of 2139 Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My 55LM6700 gets delivered tomorrow. I'm exchanging a PM6700 plasma for it. Always had plasma in the past. Hoping I'm happy with it. I personally think some of cnet's reviews suck. When I bought my Denon 1910 they reviewed it shortly after and faulted it for some things. They didn't even have it set up correctly. It was clearly the best mid range AVR that year. Oddly, next year it was their top pick.

Looking at this set in the store, it looks great IMO. The 3D is amazing compared to the active 3D I have been trying with the plasma for the past 2 weeks. I don't watch TV with the lights out so I'm not too concerned about clouding/flashlight issues. I love glossy screens and I have total light control in my room. I also got it discounted several hundred due to exchange issues with 2 defective plasmas. I think I'm going to love this set.

post #648 of 2139 Old 05-12-2012, 08:23 PM

Any thoughts on color gamut? To me, "wide" seems to make skin tones more natural.

Simon
post #649 of 2139 Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Got my 55LM6700 today. Overall quite happy. 3D is the best out there IMO. April 2012 build date so I have to wait for the software update. Minor light bleed on left side, to be expected. Not bad for edge lit LED though.

Comparing this set to a plasma is not necessarily fair or correct. Yes, my plasma had more uniform brightness and better black levels. If I were strictly watching movies or sports, I would have stuck with plasma. I have 2 kids though that play the kinect and leave the tv paused forever. I also play video games and have a wife who watches hours of tv with station logos. I also have become infatuated with 3d. For me, this set is a nice compromise.

It looks pretty good with tv and movies, works great for gaming and the 3D is outstanding. Its target audience, IMO, is not the flawless movie fanatic. If you fall into that category, look elsewhere.

post #650 of 2139 Old 05-13-2012, 11:35 AM

They introduced an app for LG's 2011 models March last year. It is already in May. Where is the app for 2012 models?
post #651 of 2139 Old 05-13-2012, 06:21 PM

Is any one else using PlayOn? I tried that Plex streaming software, and didn't really like it, too buggy, too many streams it wouldn't play. So I re-installed PlayOn, now I notice if I hit the "Home" button on the remote that the screen turns black, and basically the TV locks up. I can hit the My Apps button fine. If I disable PlayOn, the TV works fine.

Others in the thread mentioned probs with Netflix, I've also had issues with it where it freezes, and requires rebooting the TV, and a few times the app sorta crashes, I can still hear the audio from the Netflix stream, but the TV drops back to the main menu.

I'm hoping they resolve these in future firmware updates, I really like the TV for the most part.
post #652 of 2139 Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hey guys. Looking for a little help here. I am looking to replace a Sharp LC52LE835u that I bought last year. I am now on my 4th replacement and they mentioned giving me a refund. I have had horrible clouding issues. I notice a few posts that talk about flashlighting / bleeding / clouding. I want to see if anyone has had any clouding issues that would be as bad as this pic.

you can see the blueish color blobs to the left and right of C3PO's head.
post #653 of 2139 Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Just got mine today. It has a little light bleed on the left. Other than that, it looks pretty good. I figure a certain amount is expected with edge lit LED. Just finished playing uncharted 3 in 3D and it is absolutely amazing. Virtually no artifacts or blurring at all. The LG 7600 plasma it replaced was nothing but blur and headaches in 3D. This passive is truly amazing.

post #654 of 2139 Old 05-13-2012, 08:38 PM

Does the light bleed interfere with the picture at all? Like in my pic?

Also did you notice any lag while playing uncharted? Did you do anything like rename the hdmi input PC or play on game setting?

My biggest concern is screen uniformity followed by lag. I also don't want a plasma as I had a G25 that would have horrible image retention that would last over a week.
post #655 of 2139 Old 05-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

I only notice it when the screen is completely black. The bleed is better or worse based on my settings mainly the backlight. I have had a plasma for years, so I'm not a fan of super bright. I prefer more natural. I usually use a cinema mode with the backlight 30 or less.

I have only played uncharted 3 in 3d. I used the game mode setting and didn't notice any lag.

I think unless you get a set with full array led backlighting, you won't get uniformity like a plasma. It's the nature of the edge lit led design. You pics do look pretty bad though. That would bother me too. I traded the LG 6700 60 inch plasma for this one. I had 2 in a row with dead pixels. It also displayed 1080i blurays incorrectly. Only switching to game mode made it play properly for some reason. The overall picture on the plasma was better, but for me this was a better option. I have gotten hooked on 3d and I don't have plasma paranoia about burn in anymore.

Good luck with the search.

post #656 of 2139 Old 05-13-2012, 11:36 PM

Here's a pic (with flash) of my 47" turned on at the No Signal logo screen, I think the flash made the blacks seem a little darker than they really are but honestly, as long as my lights aren't off the blacks sometimes are deep to the point that the TV seems off.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/1b65d8190131823

note: the light is a reflection of a ceiling light, not an image on the screen. And of course the bottom of the screen is my camera's (Nikon P510) flash.
post #657 of 2139 Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM

the picture looks good. Didn't see any bleeding / flashlighting.

Thanks.
post #658 of 2139 Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwalker1974 View Post

Hey guys. Looking for a little help here. I am looking to replace a Sharp LC52LE835u that I bought last year. I am now on my 4th replacement and they mentioned giving me a refund. I have had horrible clouding issues. I notice a few posts that talk about flashlighting / bleeding / clouding. I want to see if anyone has had any clouding issues that would be as bad as this pic.

you can see the blueish color blobs to the left and right of C3PO's head.

This is really bad. I have had flashing issues, but never over an image like you have here. Return it.
post #659 of 2139 Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandman9 View Post

So did it work and has it stayed? What i mean is has the flashlighting come back in the areas it appeared previously?

I don't want to try this and have it just come back... thx

Yes it stayed. However, I noticed it also changes when I move the TV. The flashing must have to do with the flexible nature of the screen and how it shifts in the frame.
post #660 of 2139 Old 05-14-2012, 05:29 PM

i just got back from Best Buy. This set really does look nice. I couldn't see any difference between the 6700 and 7600. I just hope the lag isn't noticeable when playing shooters.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 47lm6700 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv , Lg Cinema Screen 55lm6700 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page