Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 222 Old 04-01-2012, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamyemma View Post

I contacted LG support but have not received a response yet. If i can't get it to work I'll have to return it and eat the 15% restocking fee from newegg, so it goes.

It's the weekend but, when I contacted them about the complaints I had with the 32CS560, the first response took around 24 hours but the second response took only a couple of hours. However neither reply was of any real use. You may be able to get Newegg to waive the fee because of the situation with the CS560 line (like marketing it as having TruMotion when it doesn't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I think SimpLink (LG's version of HDMI-CEC) only works with other LG products. It didn't work with my Sony Receiver or Slim PS3 either, despite both of them having a HDMI-CEC feature.

There was something in the manual about Simplink involving a limitation but I couldn't recall what it was so, I looked it up in the online manual:

Quote:

Use the TV remote control to play and control the AV device connected with the HDMI cable through HDMI-CEC. Your TV only works with the devices that support HDMI-CEC. But only devices with the SimpLink logo are supported.

Quote:

SIMPLINK may not work properly if you a third-party device that has an HDMI-CEC function.

I think you also have to manually turn it on in the TV menu or by using the SimpLink button on the remote. I don't think it's on by default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 222 Old 04-01-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_J View Post

It's the weekend but, when I contacted them about the complaints I had with the 32CS560, the first response took around 24 hours but the second response took only a couple of hours. However neither reply was of any real use. You may be able to get Newegg to waive the fee because of the situation with the CS560 line (like marketing it as having TruMotion when it doesn't).

There was something in the manual about Simplink involving a limitation but I couldn't recall what it was so, I looked it up in the online manual:

I think you also have to manually turn it on in the TV menu or by using the SimpLink button on the remote. I don't think it's on by default.

it's on by default on my Lk450 and I've toggled it on and off repeated with no success (it was left on at the PS3 and AV receiver as well)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 222 Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:

it's on by default on my Lk450 and I've toggled it on and off repeated with no success (it was left on at the PS3 and AV receiver as well)

That's probably why they threw that 3rd party disclaimer in their manuals. I've seen some other stuff from other companies like that to try and force consumers to only purchase the same brand for all their needs.
post #94 of 222 Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, Racer_J. I got them to waive the restocking fee by citing the missing TruMotion feature. Now I am back in the market for a new TV and I'm not sure what I want to do. On the one hand, the 42LG450k has all the features I'd want, but then that means giving LG back my business after the **** they pulled here. That's even If I could find one (with an IPS panel). They have them on amazon but then its a panel lottery unless I could contact them and find out for sure which models they have. Otherwise, I am at a loss. Any opinions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for a ~42", <$800, w/ audio output (VGA in is a +). Thanks all.
post #95 of 222 Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, Racer_J. I got them to waive the restocking fee by citing the missing TruMotion feature. Now I am back in the market for a new TV and I'm not sure what I want to do. On the one hand, the 42LG450k has all the features I'd want, but then that means giving LG back my business after the **** they pulled here. That's even If I could find one (with an IPS panel). They have them on amazon but then its a panel lottery unless I could contact them and find out for sure which models they have. Otherwise, I am at a loss. Any opinions on what to look for would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for a ~42", <$800, w/ audio output (VGA in is a +). Thanks all.

No problem, glad to hear you got the fee waived. For what it's worth, you're not alone in being hesitant about giving them your business again. The have been a few reviews over at Amazon on the 32CS560 that shared the same complaints and feelings about LG.

If you're after the 42LK450, you may want to consider Walmart but I don't know if they carry it in-store or not. They want around $500 for it online but you might be able to get a pricematch depending on who might have it at a lower price. They also have the 37LK450 for around $420 if you are willing to consider something smaller. The panel lotery would still be in play if you have to order them but at least you wouldn't have to ship anything back if there was a defect on the set.

If you want to avoid LG though, I'm not really sure where to direct you. My shopping criteria hinges on 4:4:4, a lack of ghosting, wanting deep black levels, CCFL backlighting, etc. so I'm pretty much stuck with LG or just saying to hell with it and getting one of the Korean 2560x1440 monitors (provided I can get the single CCFL model that is still for sale but it's not up on ebay yet and no one knows anything about it). This would have been so much easier if I had been shopping for a TV at the end of November or in December.
post #96 of 222 Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:

You might consider the JVC JLC42BC3000 42" CCFL that is priced below $700. It has 4 HDMI, 1 component, 1 Composite, 1 VGA/RGB, 1 PC audio(or music port) and 1 USB. On top of that it also has a optical digital out and analog stereo output. JVC has apparently switched to new manufacturer AmTran (same people who make Vizios) to make their TVs. Amran apparently uses LG's S-IPS panels for the JVC TVs they manufacture. It also has been verified by an actual owner that this JVC model has an S-IPS panel due to the chevron pixel pattern.

I have an LG 42" LK530 but I'm considering getting a Samsung ln40d630 or this JVC JLC42BC3000 model as bedroom TV to complement my LG TV. So far this JVC seems to be getting good reviews on picture quality which may be result of the LG S-IPS panels they are using now. Now I'm not sure how well it performs on PC input or gaming but user reviews I read said it has great picture quality and sound.
post #97 of 222 Old 04-02-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

i don't know if anyone else saw J.Mike ferrara's post in this forum but this is the response he got from LG about the lack of trumotion control on new sets:

As of this time, the control to True Motion is not yet available for our 2012 models.

We apologize if we were not able to meet your needs when it comes to True motion but rest assured that LG is doing a continuous enhancement to our products to make sure that we will provide good product and service to our valued customer like you. You can check the latest firmware for this TV model number on our website .

it seems to be very strongly hinting that a firmware update will arrive at some point. his question was about the lack of a toggle for trumotion, not the total lack of trumotion on some sets, but it may be possible to fix both. i remember the 32lh20 getting an update to fix an audio sync issue that bugged a lot of people, so Lg does seem to respond to what their customers want. just be sure to give them a nagging email.
post #98 of 222 Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulux View Post

i don't know if anyone else saw J.Mike ferrara's post in this forum but this is the response he got from LG about the lack of trumotion control on new sets:

[i]As of this time, the control to True Motion is not yet available for our 2012 models.

it seems to be very strongly hinting that a firmware update will arrive at some point. his question was about the lack of a toggle for trumotion, not the total lack of trumotion on some sets, but it may be possible to fix both.

I came across it a few days ago and my first thought was "not only did they cripple their low tier sets but they also rushed their upper tier sets to the market". It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If they do update the CS560 line to have access to the TruMotion they claim it has, I don't think it will fix the judder/jitter/stutter on it as my understanding is you want TruMotion off when viewing 24 fps content. However, if the CS560 line really does have TruMotion and it's stuck in the on position, then perhaps an option to disable it could fix the judder/jitter/stutter.

At least he got an actual response though rather than the "we don't have any information on any of the changes to our TV" line that I got.
post #99 of 222 Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM

Hi,

I've been reading this thread with interest. Thanks for all the great info in this thread. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice.

I'm in the UK, and I'm looking for a 42" TV for use as a PC monitor. I'll be using it to surf the net, play games & watch movies.

I was told that the LG LK450U was perfect for this, and that I should hunt down a 'Y' variant, as it was S-IPS. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one anywhere as all the new versions were 'D's or 'J's, so I thought I'd wait for the 2012 models to come out and hope that I could nab a new and improved S-IPS variant.

Reading the reviews above, now I'm a bit stuck on what to do. Should I get an MVA-panelled LK450U for £340, or an S-IPS pannelled CS560 for £100 more?

Considering the complaints about judder etc., what do you think would be the better option for me, bearing in mind what I'll be using it for?

I doubt I'm the only one asking himself this question right now.

Also, how likely is it that the CS560 issues will be fixed by a firmware update?

Any tips appreciated.
post #100 of 222 Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry James Esq. View Post

I'm in the UK, and I'm looking for a 42" TV for use as a PC monitor. I'll be using it to surf the net, play games & watch movies.

Reading the reviews above, now I'm a bit stuck on what to do. Should I get an MVA-panelled LK450U for £340, or an S-IPS pannelled CS560 for £100 more?

Considering the complaints about judder etc., what do you think would be the better option for me, bearing in mind what I'll be using it for?

Personally speaking, if you're going to be watching any video, the CS560 isn't going to be suitable. No one knows how likely a firmware fix is especially given that some people are claiming to have "confirmation" that LG intentionally tanked the CS560 line. It certainly seems like they did but, I haven't seen any definitive proof.

People were snatching up the IPS variants because, the prices were dirt cheap for S-IPS screens but IPS isn't perfect. It has its benefits and flaws just like any other type of panel. If you want black levels, the A-MVA panel is what you would likely want. If you don't want a "viewing cone" then you will likely want an IPS panel. However, the A-MVA panel won't have the IPS glow but the IPS will have a better response time. Each panel has a direct and opposite flaw to each of it's benefits so you'll have to decide what's the best for your needs. I've had A-MVA, S-PVA, ans S-IPS and there are things I like and dislike about all three. I still can't decide if I like A-mVA better than S-IPS or vice versa.
post #101 of 222 Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally speaking, if you're going to be watching any video, the CS560 isn't going to be suitable. No one knows how likely a firmware fix is especially given that some people are claiming to have "confirmation" that LG intentionally tanked the CS560 line. It certainly seems like they did but, I haven't seen any definitive proof.

People were snatching up the IPS variants because, the prices were dirt cheap for S-IPS screens but IPS isn't perfect. It has its benefits and flaws just like any other type of panel. If you want black levels, the A-MVA panel is what you would likely want. If you don't want a "viewing cone" then you will likely want an IPS panel. However, the A-MVA panel won't have the IPS glow but the IPS will have a better response time. Each panel has a direct and opposite flaw to each of it's benefits so you'll have to decide what's the best for your needs. I've had A-MVA, S-PVA, ans S-IPS and there are things I like and dislike about all three. I still can't decide if I like A-mVA better than S-IPS or vice versa.

I believe S-PVA is ideal for black levels while S-IPS is good for all else. A-MVA is somewhere in the middle, possibly better uniformity than S-PVA.

post #102 of 222 Old 04-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:

I believe S-PVA is ideal for black levels while S-IPS is good for all else. A-MVA is somewhere in the middle, possibly better uniformity than S-PVA.

I dunno, the black levels on the A-MVA I had in the DX-32L230A12 absolutely trounced the black levels on the S-PVA I had in the VR-3730. I couldn't tell where the bezel ended and the panel began on the A-MVA. It also handled the "viewing cone" better. I'm always stuck between deciding if I would rather have the "viewing cone" or the IPS glow. The "viewing cone" is larger on an A-MVA than it is on a S-PVA but it's till there.
post #103 of 222 Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I dunno, the black levels on the A-MVA I had in the DX-32L230A12 absolutely trounced the black levels on the S-PVA I had in the VR-3730. I couldn't tell where the bezel ended and the panel began on the A-MVA. It also handled the "viewing cone" better. I'm always stuck between deciding if I would rather have the "viewing cone" or the IPS glow. The "viewing cone" is larger on an A-MVA than it is on a S-PVA but it's till there.

I was thinking of the S-PVA panel Samsungs (D550 and D630). They have some of the best black levels on any conventional LCD in 2011. I had a 2009 Samsung B650 LCD, which was A-MVA so I guess my comparison is outdated for the A-MVA.

post #104 of 222 Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:

I was thinking of the S-PVA panel Samsungs (D550 and D630). They have some of the best black levels on any conventional LCD in 2011. I had a 2009 Samsung B650 LCD, which was A-MVA so I guess my comparison is outdated for the A-MVA.

To be fair, the S-PVA panel I had was from CMO and wasn't an actual Samsung unit and Westinghouse's firmware isn't up to par with Samsung or LG and the lack of a backlight adjustment was partly to blame for some of the issues with black levels. I didn't look at the D550s due to the price and the issue of 4:4:4 but I have heard many tales about how incredible the black levels are. A-MVA's key selling point now is the black level and contrast though. I thought it was all hype when I saw AUO's site but the one I had was stellar. Well if you ignore the tear in the screen the first DX-32L230A12 had and the weird defect on the left hand of the panel on the second one. They were OOS/EOL at that point though so I was SOL.
post #105 of 222 Old 04-05-2012, 12:50 PM

I obviously no longer have the 32CS560 but, I may have inadvertently stumbled on a workaround for the judder/jitter/stutter for DVD playback on the PC.

To give everyone some background, I had a nasty jitter/judder/stutter on my rig (my actual rig with the 990fx board and Phenom II x3 830). I don't recall having seen it before but, I never really watched DVDs on the PC because the 34HF85 was so bad as a monitor. Anyway, I have been wrestling with it for several hours even though I'm still on the Samsung 930b for right now. The end result was getting rid of the jitter/judder/stutter and the DVD (SD 480) is playing back at 24fps even with the monitor running at 75 Hz. MPC HCE is showing that I have a minimum jitter of -1.300 ms and a maximum jitter of +1.537 ms. Those are the highest I have seen them go so far in either direction. The average sync offset is around 3.190 ms at it's peak. All of these fluctuate up and down and numbers this low aren't really perceptible.

Even if this does work for the 32CS560, it would still be incredibly overpriced since it would essentially only be good for a PC monitor. I'm going to go ahead and post what I did in case anyone else is having an issue with their PC playback acting stupid.

I essentially followed this procedure but, I did deviate a bit. I didn't install LAV because I already have it since I use the CCCP codec pack. I used the link I provided though to setup LAV and MPC HCE. I also deviated here though because you don't need to add the external filters to MPC HCE if you are using CCCP. I also didn't tick any of the audio settings they show as I wanted to leave my audio settings how I have them. I have a very specific audio setup and have it set to pass-through most of the digital audio directly to the receiver and I didn't want to risk breaking that. Since I deviated from the link I provided, I'm going to post screenshots of my settings in CCCP, LAV, and MPC HCE:

Quote:

CCCP

Quote:

LAV Splitter

Quote:

LAV Video

Quote:

MPC HCE

Quote:

Nvidia Control Panel

This may not be needed but, I had enabled "use inverse telecine" earlier and forgot I had it on. There is certainly no harm in leaving it activated though and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lol.

Quote:

Display Stats

post #106 of 222 Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 PM

hi, i just got the 42" version of this tv. how do i make the picture not so horrible?
post #107 of 222 Old 05-05-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post

hi, i just got the 42" version of this tv. how do i make the picture not so horrible?

don't have this TV, but if it is like the LK450 try using cinema or expert pic mode

post #108 of 222 Old 05-06-2012, 11:10 AM

well movies at least look awesome. i found something, i think on this forum, about optimum visual settings for particular LCD tvs. of course i couldn't find it again.
post #109 of 222 Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well movies at least look awesome. i found something, i think on this forum, about optimum visual settings for particular LCD tvs. of course i couldn't find it again.

you can set the basic picture settings in those pic modes yourself with a disc like AVSHD709 or Disney WOW

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...54&postcount=1

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Disney-WOW-Won...6328164&sr=1-4

two other choices are:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...6328217&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/Spears-High-De...6328217&sr=1-4

I'd go with the AVS option first and then add one of the other choices to your colllection. Disney WOW is great for beginners while the other two are more complicated to use. I would choose S&M over DVE, though.

Do you have a BD player, BTW?

post #110 of 222 Old 05-07-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:

Define "horrible".
post #111 of 222 Old 05-11-2012, 09:20 PM

Well, I guess I am 2 for 2 now with poor LCD TV choices. Ironically,while I am waiting for the repair appointment for my Samsung 46" C630, for strobing problems, I chose this tv for bedroom use. Most likely will use a new Roku box for streaming, as I am not hooking up cable to it. Right now it is in my living room, and I have briefly tested out with Comcast HD, and Samsung 6500 Blu-Ray player. I actually use a 2G Apple Tv to stream Netflix (720p), but have not tested this yet. I do think the picture blows away my Samsung. Just purchased it days ago, but work nights at multiple sleep labs for various hospitals. Is anybody happy with this TV, or is the overwhelming consensus to just return it ? The only Blu-Ray disc I have tested it on is Iron Man 2, but could not put it through it's paces. Purchased at Best Buy, as I had $150 plus in gift certificates I was tied to. I was just hesitant to get another entry level to mid range TV from Samsung, as I was never really impressed with my current one, and it lasted just 2 yrs before major issues, and lots of picture artifact. Luckily I did have an extended war. from Dell.
post #112 of 222 Old 05-12-2012, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptek View Post

. . . I do think the picture blows away my Samsung . . . Is anybody happy with this TV, or is the overwhelming consensus to just return it ?

Well, you're in a unique position to tell us. Since you like the picture quality - the big question is, do you notice problems with motion performance? From what I've read, apparently a number*** of 2012 LG tvs shipped with incomplete or possibly bugged firmware with regard to various motion control features.

Did you get a cs560 or 570? I'd probably update the firmware to the latest and put the TV through it's paces while keeping an eye on it's return policy window. If LG did manage to get things straightened out via firmware updates, they could be very respectable TVs for the money.

*** See the threads here and also here.
post #113 of 222 Old 05-12-2012, 07:27 AM

The issue that I'm having with the 42cs570 is that I activate the trumotion setting and the tv decides to deactivate it whenever it feels like it. I'm hoping that a firmware update comes out soon and takes care of it.
post #114 of 222 Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Picked up the 42CS560 on Sunday, I swapped out my recently purchased Samsung LN40E550, color accuracy just wasn't there, black levels were though especially for a budget set.

The difference is almost night and day, the Samsung was a struggle to hone in, Color temparture was off. too warm and too cool. Once you got the settting down for one type of programing, it didn't translate to others. Skin tones were always off it seems. Just not a consistant set.

the LG has been a breath of fresh air. The colors seem richer and have more depth,, viewing angles are very very impressive. up to par with my inlaws IPS Panasonic TV. Blacks are meh, not as good as the Samsung I returned but livable. everything else though has been really nice.

Used Disney's WOW and even out of the box didn't do all that much adjustment on the "Standard/User" mode. Brightness was almost spot on, had to drop the Contrast a couple of notches and color was only wee bit of tweeking. Fantastic Calibration disk for all levels. this weekend willl dive into the more advance calibration. But yeah what a great great disk to use. and the clips are fantastic to use to see how you did.

so far I highly recommend the 42CS560 for those looking in the budget 40-42 inch range
post #115 of 222 Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

Picked up the 42CS560 on Sunday, I swapped out my recently purchased Samsung LN40E550, color accuracy just wasn't there, black levels were though especially for a budget set.
The difference is almost night and day, the Samsung was a struggle to hone in, Color temparture was off. too warm and too cool. Once you got the settting down for one type of programing, it didn't translate to others. Skin tones were always off it seems. Just not a consistant set.
the LG has been a breath of fresh air. The colors seem richer and have more depth,, viewing angles are very very impressive. up to par with my inlaws IPS Panasonic TV. Blacks are meh, not as good as the Samsung I returned but livable. everything else though has been really nice.
Used Disney's WOW and even out of the box didn't do all that much adjustment on the "Standard/User" mode. Brightness was almost spot on, had to drop the Contrast a couple of notches and color was only wee bit of tweeking. Fantastic Calibration disk for all levels. this weekend willl dive into the more advance calibration. But yeah what a great great disk to use. and the clips are fantastic to use to see how you did.
so far I highly recommend the 42CS560 for those looking in the budget 40-42 inch range

does this LG have the 10-pt white balance/gamma controls?

post #116 of 222 Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

does this LG have the 10-pt white balance/gamma controls?

I'll go back tonight and check the gamma controls I didn't see any settins specfically labeled " 10pt while balance". but for Expert 1 and 2 Modes white balance had three presets cool, normal and warm but had ton of red, gree blue and yellow gain and offset balance controls. Under Standard there was scale that seems to be a 10 point W............0..............C

I was actually quite impressed with the number of image controls and options on this set, especially it being LG's budget set.
post #117 of 222 Old 06-06-2012, 04:03 PM

anybody else having issues with the TruMotion shutting itself off when the tv is turned off?
post #118 of 222 Old 06-07-2012, 11:43 PM

Hi , my first post here biggrin.gif , was skimming the thread will go back and a read a bit more , my 42" cs570 arrived earlier. Code on box 42CS570-UD.AUSYLJR
post #119 of 222 Old 06-10-2012, 08:58 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Early high end 120 Hz LG models this year were shipped without Trumotion. But I am interested in a 42CS570 and saw one in Best Buy that had Trumotion in the menu with the ability to change from Off, Low, Medium, etc. and with the slider bars for judder and blur. Can any 570 owners verify that it's there and works? Thanks.
post #120 of 222 Old 06-10-2012, 07:56 PM

Can not find it in any menu...still playing around , where would i find it ?
Found bottom of picture menu, four settings: Off, Low, High, User. Two bars: De-Judder & De-Blur, values from 0-10
The option is gray'ed out when using hdmi to and from pc.
I'm a complete newb, how do you update firmware ? can it be done through hdmi ? or do you have to use usb ?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 42 Inch 42cs560 , Lg 47cs570 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page