Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 222 Old 11-03-2012, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post

Is judder only apparent when using any sort of TruMotion stuff (that I don't plan on using)?
my 37cs560 has no trumotion options at all and it still has the judder. it's not related to that feature as far as i know. i don't think you'll notice it when gaming, since it's not really noticeable with the type of camera movement you see in games. it's most noticeable during slow pans in 24p content.

i've only watched one film since the firmware update, The Dark Knight, and I felt like I only noticed the judder just slightly in a few scenes. whether it's been improved or whether I just didn't care enough about it to notice I can't say, but either way I don't think it's a deal breaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cclashh View Post

I have a 37CS560.
Picture is outstanding even though I am not passing 4:4:4 chroma subsampling tests.

the 37cs560 does 4:4:4, i've got mine doing it just fine. it's probably something on your computer's end that's preventing it from working, if you have an nvidia card you have to do the EDID override trick to get it working. there are lots of ways of doing it, but i can give you the registry edit method i used if you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 222 Old 11-03-2012, 09:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cclashh View Post

I am seeing subtle improvements with suggested methods and tweeking of my own but am not truly passing the test patterns contained in this thread. My research seems to conclude that to pass basic flat panel test patterns it is necesary to run the picture wizard functionality of this unit and then do minor tweeks under those settings. The conclusion I have reached is that I am not going to concern myself with the suggested importance of 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. The reason for this is that this LG 37CS560 has basic functionality to produce visual results comparable to an actual pc monitor and fortunately does so by creating a pc mode for hdmi input eliminating and surpassing the the need for a vga input. The TV produces a visual result that does not seem to be compromised by anything including 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. The picture is outstanding. I see no reason to labor over the result as I cannot see anything going on picture wise that really needs to be improved. Adjusting windows cleartype seems to produce varying results with text but all verions of this are acceptable. I highly reccomend this TV and its use as a pc monitor, you will be suprised with its performance and save tons of money over the purchase of an actual pc monitor at this size.

SOLVED

Update to previous posts on LG 37CS560 using amd radeon hd 6870.

I indulged myself and bought a DVI male to hdmi female adapter for $10 at microcenter. I am now attached to the DVI port on the vid card and hdmi on the TV and I am passing 4:4:4 chroma subsampling tests with flying colors -no pun intended smile.gif I recommend using the picture wizard to calibrate the monitor settings and tweek from there. It was suggested to me through online research that the use of DVI with amd cards was not necessary. Clearly that is not true in this circumstance. I did not have to perform the edid fix but I can't imagine why audio extensions would be a concern with DVI anyway sooo... I can now say that using DVI to hdmi for this outcome is well worth the investment as it has resulted in significant improvements to an already outstanding display experience.

Please disregard previous suggestions that there is no need or that it is not possible to pass the 4:4:4 chroma subsampling tests with the LG 37CS560 as I have determined this to be untrue and that with a small investment in adapting DVI to HDMI you can. I do not use nvidia cards so I cannot realisticly predict what you will have to do with them but I have determined that this set does support 4:4:4 chroma subsampling and there is no reason that the same results with the proper adjustments can also be obtained with Nvidia.

The following is the response I received from LG Support regarding 4:4:4 chroma subsampling that resulted in my interest in using DVI instead:

The subsampling scheme is commonly expressed as a three part ratio J:a:b (e.g. 4:2:2), although sometimes expressed as four parts (e.g. 4:2:2:4), that describe the number of luminance and chrominance samples in a conceptual region that is J pixels wide, and 2 pixels high. The parts are (in their respective order): 4:4:4 R'G'B' (no subsampling) Note that "4:4:4" may instead be referring to R'G'B' color space, which implicitly does not have any chroma subsampling at all. Formats such as HDCAM SR can record 4:4:4 R'G'B' over dual-link HD-SDI .

The best results in display were obtained using the PC label for the HDMI input on the TV. The pixel format of the catalyst software setting for my digital flat panels is no longer an option under DVI config and the catalyst software is makng default selection for this setting under DVI. I assume that that would be 4:4:4 full rgb pc standard.

The main drawback to this config is that the TV does not have a seperate audio input so you will have to install speakers to your sound card (integrated or non-integrated) to obtain sound. I will have to purchase speakers for the two LG monitors of this model that I am using but its worth the improvements in display.

THANX!
post #183 of 222 Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345 View Post

Backlight44
Contrast97
Bright56
Sharps60
Color70
Blacklevel high
Edgeenhance low
Colortemp warm
Gamma1.9
2 pointcontrast
Redcont0
Gcont0
Bcont-15
Rbright-16
Gbright-18
Bright-12(-are minus)
10 point ire
100 Red -12Green -6Blue -12
90 -9,4,3
80 -9,5,4
70 -7,7,1
60 -14,6,2
50 -8,5,2
40 -11,6,5
30 -11,3,3
20 -8,5,3
10 4,15,10
0 0,0,0
It gives a brightenough soft picture for average to low room lighting.decent for bright and average bright shows,black levels not the best but blacks are not the greatest on this tv.

In the 10 point ire 100 is all negative, 90 though 20 is one negative two positive ?, 10 is all positive ?
post #184 of 222 Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Liked: 26
Sorry for asking this again, but does anyone have any idea how this TV compares to the LS3400? They tend to be the same price, with similar features, except the 3400 is LED Edge Lit. Are these TVs comparable at all?
post #185 of 222 Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:

Sorry for asking this again, but does anyone have any idea how this TV compares to the LS3400? They tend to be the same price, with similar features, except the 3400 is LED Edge Lit. Are these TVs comparable at all?

The main difference wil be the LED backlight which appears to be the only difference. I don't know if it does 4:4:4 chroma subsampling but I would think that its worth the risk in purchasing one and testing it. There are many variables involved including the video card you are running and how its connected to the TV. The edid overide fix is typically required for nvidia but not for amd. My amd cards require the tv to be connected to DVI. What I am saying is that you should not give up right away on whether the TV supports 4:4:4 chroma subsampling because of the wide number of variables that have to be right in order to get it. I do not believe that the TV you are looking at is going to be any better than a fourescent backlight would be other than that the LED will last longer than fourescent. I compared my CS560 picture to the Samsung LED competitve model and in my opinion my LG flourescent is better in picture quality. Be careful about recommedations as to whether individuals indicate that the TV will operate well as a monitor because that person may have just given up on various configurations before they found an acceptable format. The best way to do this is to go on intuition and test things out for yourself there are no gaurantees but there never are in the very inexact science that you are entering into. I have an LG 37CS560 and an LG 32CS560. I would be very suprised by two things; that it is even possible to get a better picture than I have or that the LS3400 does not support 4:4:4 chroma subsampling as I have LG products and they do. Either way using a TV as a monitor is a risk as to how its going to work. I highly recommend that you follow your instincts and make whatever purchase you are going to and do the best you can at coming up with an acceptable format. Again what you are entering into is a risk nothing can change that and no one can make this an exact science that you are looking for as your results will heavily depend on your own technical abilities and much less on the technical abilities of others. Try it out and see where you can get with it. I doubt that LG products are going to disapoint you and you can return the TV if it sucks!

Suggestions:

Remember we all get different results. Give yourself some time to troubleshoot before giving up and returning the TV -like at least a couple of weeks....

Use the Picture Wizard.
Use the PC label on the hdmi port to get an actual PC mode. If the TV does not have one find an LG that does.
Use the DVI port on the video card for both nvidia and amd.
Use the edid override fix if you are using nvidia.
post #186 of 222 Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 AM

I see the 3400 Series only shows a resolution of 720P. If using as a computer monitor wouldn't that make a significant difference or not?
post #187 of 222 Old 11-09-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven0215 View Post

I see the 3400 Series only shows a resolution of 720P. If using as a computer monitor wouldn't that make a significant difference or not?

Sorry, I should have specified - I'm looking at the 42LS3400.

My mom has a 42" Insignia (NS-42e470A13) and while it's not the darkest TV certainly, it has a very sharp picture. Only problem with it is that while the input lag seems good, I feel that I can do better with another TV (it seemed to have similar input lag to my Insignia from 2009). If I ever see the 3400 on sale I might try picking it up and just keep an eye on the return policy.
post #188 of 222 Old 11-09-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven0215 View Post

720p makes a big defference. I urge you to not get anything less than 1080p. You will be able to get much less on your screen at the same time with 720p. While that may not matter as much as a TV it matters significantly as a PC monitor. Everything will look much bigger than it needs to on 720p and not anywhere near as good as 1080p.
post #189 of 222 Old 11-09-2012, 03:49 PM

Yep, as I stated, the model in question was the 42" version - which is 1080p. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Anywho, does anyone have any impressions on the 3400, or possibly know anywhere I can get some aside from Amazon reviews? Television Info put up a positive review, saying the only downside was that the TV doesn't get very dark...but it's very difficult to know exactly what they mean, because I have no idea really what the numbers mean. My only point of reference really is my mom's 42" Insignia, and it gets dark enough, I'd say. It's not as dark as the Samsung 5 series, but from what I've seen the TV handles motion better and I don't seem as annoyed with moving objects on the screen, especially in dark scenes. I'd really only be interested in another TV at that size for lower input lag (however little), and faster speed in regards to startup and input change.
post #190 of 222 Old 11-09-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Yep, as I stated, the model in question was the 42" version - which is 1080p. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
Anywho, does anyone have any impressions on the 3400, or possibly know anywhere I can get some aside from Amazon reviews? Television Info put up a positive review, saying the only downside was that the TV doesn't get very dark...but it's very difficult to know exactly what they mean, because I have no idea really what the numbers mean. My only point of reference really is my mom's 42" Insignia, and it gets dark enough, I'd say. It's not as dark as the Samsung 5 series, but from what I've seen the TV handles motion better and I don't seem as annoyed with moving objects on the screen, especially in dark scenes. I'd really only be interested in another TV at that size for lower input lag (however little), and faster speed in regards to startup and input change.

Are you asking about quality in terms of whether the TV is 42 inch or not. It is not clear to me what you are asking? Are you looking for a PC monitor or a TV to use blu-ray and cable?
post #191 of 222 Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
JollygreenJ if it has a minus sign it's below zero and if there's no minus then it's above zero( starting on left is red, then green then blue). I just calibrated by eye( no meter), and each tv is a bit different.I also used some settings from lk450 thread.
post #192 of 222 Old 11-10-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:

The size of the screen as it relates to overall quality matters but only in that it is for the reason that you are occupying the space with the same number of pixels. The larger the screen the larger the pixels have to be to occupy the same space. Clearly this indicates that with smaller displays the more smaller and concentrated the pixels are which obviously delivers a crisper image. The only way to get as clear a picture with a 32 inch screen as opposed to lets say the 42 inch display is to purchase an actual pc monitor that supports resolutions higher than 1920 x 1080. I believe that you will find this endeavor as cost prohibitive unless you have the budget to spend in excess of $1000.00 up to $4,000.00. Any TV you decide upon as a monitor will only support 1920 x 1080. The quality in terms of black level etc.. does not directly relate to its size but to its ability to deliver well on those parameters. This is not an exact science when it comes to a TV's use as a pc monitor and again your best results will be obtained by deciding on a purchase and trying it out extensively before giving up.
post #193 of 222 Old 11-10-2012, 10:05 PM

Sorry but I wasn't talking about specifically using the TV as a PC monitor (I didn't really mean to interrupt the PC monitor discussion). I'd like to use it when watching a movie sometimes or playing a game, but the majority of my usage wouldn't be for the PC. I've used my mom's TV with my PC and it looked great. We watched Toy Story in high def on it and it looked awesome. Obviously it will have bigger pixels and the quality won't be as good as my monitor, but to me it's just a bonus of putting my PC content on my TV when I want to.
post #194 of 222 Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Sorry but I wasn't talking about specifically using the TV as a PC monitor (I didn't really mean to interrupt the PC monitor discussion). I'd like to use it when watching a movie sometimes or playing a game, but the majority of my usage wouldn't be for the PC. I've used my mom's TV with my PC and it looked great. We watched Toy Story in high def on it and it looked awesome. Obviously it will have bigger pixels and the quality won't be as good as my monitor, but to me it's just a bonus of putting my PC content on my TV when I want to.

I was kinda wondering since this thread is meant to discuss the use of TV's as pc monitors. The same thing is true but not nearly as signifcant with your application. 1920 x 1080 is perfectly acceptable for any size TV but it does not make the differences that you anticipate. A TV that is reviewed well on the parameters you ask about does not relate to size but in the quality of the TV itself barring that even in some cases the resolution of the TV may or may not indicate in a higher quality experience with it. A lot of this depends on your own personal abilities to distinguish quality. You would probably be better off going to an actual showroom such as best buy and observing for yourself if the differences you ask about really matter to you. It is less advised that with your level of expertise you decide upon and make judgements in the less interactive world of web research and purchase. The things you are concerning yourself with may not even matter to you as a consumer and will more likely result in paying more for a TV than is required in your situation. Spend the least possible for the TV that serves your individual needs. My advice to you would be a showroom where your personal comparisons will be more conclusive than any you can spend laboring over online. Doing this online is really meant for more tech savvy consumers.
post #195 of 222 Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 PM

Thanks. I don't believe this thread was meant to discuss the use of TVs as PC monitors....it was meant to discuss the LG CS560/CS570 LCD models. I was just under the impression that this was the "official thread" of sorts for these LG models, so I thought I could get some opinions from people who actually own one of them. I didn't even really see any in depth PC discussion until page 4 or 5 of this thread.

I'm sorry if I didn't post any questions in the "Help me find an LCD" thread, but I thought it would be nice to have any questions answered by people who actually own one of the TVs in question, since I often see one of them on sale.
post #196 of 222 Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I was just under the impression that this was the "official thread" of sorts for these LG models, so I thought I could get some opinions from people who actually own one of them.
I know that all of the specifics may not matter to me in the end (say, a black level to the decimal point or a color curve), but they do inform my purchase. I still like to gauge other users' impressions regarding things like contrast, motion, and input lag. I'm a very visually minded person so I pick out things like color very easily (I am an oil painter and illustrator), so I'm just trying to be thorough in my research.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to minimize your abilities. I am just suggesting that in your situation as with any other that considering your talents you will be able to make a more informed decision with in person comparisons. This is especially true in your situtation considering your talents. There is no reason that you cannot use the experience of seeing for yourself to influence what you concern yourself with online right down to the fact that you may find a better product for less money than is available in store. Considering your perfession you will be one of the more qualified individuals to make informed decisions based on observation. Your obvious abilities to observe will be better than most. Its like buying a car without a test drive. You can know as much as you want about the vehicle but would you actually buy it without a test drive -probably not. Things can get a little muddled relying on the the perception of another person. Perceptions vary greeatly from one person to the next. What satisfies one person may not matter to another. If that were not true there wouldn't be a hundred different things to consider here -they would all be the same because ultimately only one set of preferences would be correct. All I am saying is that ultimately your individuality and opinion is all that matters.
Tom4221 likes this.
post #197 of 222 Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 PM

For the IPS panel, does anyone have settings for this thing being used as a PC monitor?
Thanks! smile.gif
post #198 of 222 Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 AM

I'm very happy with my 42 LD450 and looking for a similar TV for the bedroom. The TV will be used only for media playing from a PC and some xbox360/ps3 gaming.
Is the reported judder that bad while using 60Hz PC/console input?

AFAIK differences between ld459 and cs 460/560 are the truemotion and color calibration.

Would you recommend any other similar panels (4:4:4, input lag, natural colors, similar price range)?
post #199 of 222 Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue View Post

For the IPS panel, does anyone have settings for this thing being used as a PC monitor?
Thanks! smile.gif

I can only give you what I've gotten with basic patterns since I don't have any calibration gear. 37cs560 IPS over HDMI-

input label: pc
backlight: 20 (night use)
contrast: 97
brightness: 51 (the updated picture wizard, AVS disc, and lagom LCD tests all agree on this level)
H sharpness: 37
V sharpness: 37
color: 52 (picture wizard is all I have to go on for this)
gamma: medium
black level: high
white balance: warm

The only settings that seems to be any different when using the set with a PC are black level (HDMI is normally low) and sharpness. according to lagom's LCD test 50VS is way too high and 37 is the point where the grid blends the best. Horizontal sharpness can be set as low as 37 or kept at 50, it doesn't make a difference in the test. I did all of the tests at 1080p with 4:4:4 enabled and the results seem pretty consistent with the picture wizard and AVS disc. The results probably won't be the same for different size sets and people who use color meters end up with wildly different figures than this, so take it as you want!
post #200 of 222 Old 12-29-2012, 01:24 PM

I asked this question a while back but didn't really get an answer, so I'll put it out there again...

The problem I have is the trumotion auto disabling itself.....I'll set it to high and once the tv set is shut off and restarted, the trumotion is no longer functioning...the setting still says its on however...anyone else have that issue? It's the CS570 model.
post #201 of 222 Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 PM

i saw a few posts about using as a pc monitor, which goes into the whole 60hz/60 fps issue. These tv's only do 60hz/60fps.
post #202 of 222 Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

This is such an interesting thread. I am considering the purchase of a 47CS570 as it is on sale through BB and the customer reviews from many sites are quite positive. For instance from HHGregg this set has an overall satisfaction score of 4.7 out of 5.0 from 140 reviews! And it has a 4.8 out of 5.0 from 107 reviews on the LG store site. These are amongst the highest ratings I've seen for any TV. I know a lot of people post ill-informed reviews, but still, these are impressive. Almost everyone checked that they would recommend it to a friend.

http://www.hhgregg.com/lg-47-class-1080p-120hz-hdtv-46-9-actual-diagonal-size-/item/47CS570#reviewFocusTarget1

I'm leaning toward getting a lower cost TV, as I may move once or twice over the next 3 years and don't want to be worrying about damaging a top of the line set. Also for now, I'm not subscribed to cable or satellite, and will be using my blu-ray player to watch Netflix and Hulu Plus. Those aren't the highest quality of HD sources.
post #203 of 222 Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 AM

I just wanna chime in here as a new owner of 32CS560.
I live in Canada and a local computer store had this set on sale for $299. Honestly looking at 30" montiors and the price differences it was easy to jump on this deal if even just to try it out.
I'm coming from a calibrated Dell U2410 so I know what to expect when its comes to image quality, even though admittedly my vision is nowhere near 20/20. So I'm not the type of person to benefit from a higher resolution as well which was also part of my decision. So, I'm not able to see individual pixels sitting 2ft away from it which is of course different for other people.
I wanted to give my impressions and what I did to get the best possible picture out of it using this tv as a pc monitor.

So, I have the display connected through HDMI, lots of people recommend to use DVI->HDMI to enable 4:4:4 Chroma however I was able to achieve this through straight HDMI as long as you keep sound disabled in your drivers and on the tv, this wasn't a problem to achieve 4:4:4 with the EDID override.
I didn't know what 4:4:4 Chroma subsampling was, when I started, to be honest but if you're going to use an HDTV as a pc monitor its pretty much a must. Text of all kind just didn't look right until I got it working on this set and I couldn't be happier. Its been mentioned already but be sure to label your input as "PC"

Here's the link I used for EDID override to enable 4:4:4 as I had trouble finding an exact how-to. Also download a newer beta version of Monitor Asset Manager as the official 2.6 caused me to blue screen and reboot.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038495309&postcount=438
I'm not sure if you have to do both guides but I did.

Input lag is non existent for me personally. I play a wide variety of games and coming from a U2410 I can't tell any difference. Ghosting is mild probably in the same range as the U2410, maybe less, but if you've ever used any IPS monitor that's just one of there drawbacks. Blacks are middle of the road but everyone knows that.
After finally calibrating colors on the tv and colors for video playback in my nvidia drivers I absolutely love this display. The value of of this tv as monitor is fantastic in my opinion and pc gaming on a big screen awesome. So like CclashH said just take the time and set it up right, its worth it.
Hope I helped.
post #204 of 222 Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamtron View Post

I just wanna chime in here as a new owner of 32CS560.
I live in Canada and a local computer store had this set on sale for $299. Honestly looking at 30" montiors and the price differences it was easy to jump on this deal if even just to try it out.
I'm coming from a calibrated Dell U2410 so I know what to expect when its comes to image quality, even though admittedly my vision is nowhere near 20/20. So I'm not the type of person to benefit from a higher resolution as well which was also part of my decision. So, I'm not able to see individual pixels sitting 2ft away from it which is of course different for other people.
I wanted to give my impressions and what I did to get the best possible picture out of it using this tv as a pc monitor.

So, I have the display connected through HDMI, lots of people recommend to use DVI->HDMI to enable 4:4:4 Chroma however I was able to achieve this through straight HDMI as long as you keep sound disabled in your drivers and on the tv, this wasn't a problem to achieve 4:4:4 with the EDID override.
I didn't know what 4:4:4 Chroma subsampling was, when I started, to be honest but if you're going to use an HDTV as a pc monitor its pretty much a must. Text of all kind just didn't look right until I got it working on this set and I couldn't be happier. Its been mentioned already but be sure to label your input as "PC"

Here's the link I used for EDID override to enable 4:4:4 as I had trouble finding an exact how-to. Also download a newer beta version of Monitor Asset Manager as the official 2.6 caused me to blue screen and reboot.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038495309&postcount=438
I'm not sure if you have to do both guides but I did.

Input lag is non existent for me personally. I play a wide variety of games and coming from a U2410 I can't tell any difference. Ghosting is mild probably in the same range as the U2410, maybe less, but if you've ever used any IPS monitor that's just one of there drawbacks. Blacks are middle of the road but everyone knows that.
After finally calibrating colors on the tv and colors for video playback in my nvidia drivers I absolutely love this display. The value of of this tv as monitor is fantastic in my opinion and pc gaming on a big screen awesome. So like CclashH said just take the time and set it up right, its worth it.
Hope I helped.

You really did not accomplish anything by wasting time on a config that used straight HDMI. DVI is the same as hdmi when you are only using video with it. The only difference between hdmi and dvi is that hdmi does sound, plus video and dvi only does video only while you get the exact same result in video quality. Why waste time getting hdmi to work if you are not using the audio. You may have also avoided the edid fix as well as there should be no audio extensions for DVI that way you are not screwing with drivers when you do not have to. So you saved $5.00 on an hdmi to dvi adapter-yay!. I would have suggested a 37 inch of the same model as they go on sale for $350.00 at BestBuy so it would have only set you back 50.00 bucks more and it is a lot better -I have two. All I had to do was make the connections Dual link DVI to HDMI and I pass the 4:4:4 chroma subsampling tests with flying colors. I could not see any larger than 37 inch as a pc monitor because larger screens do lose clarity over smaller screens -larger displays as pc monitors do progressively get less crisp -32 will look better than 37 and 37 will look better than 42.....

This article came straight from top level LG Support:

The subsampling scheme is commonly expressed as a three part ratio J:a:b (e.g. 4:2:2), although sometimes expressed as four parts (e.g. 4:2:2:4), that describe the number of luminance and chrominance samples in a conceptual region that is J pixels wide, and 2 pixels high. The parts are (in their respective order):
4:4:4 R'G'B' (no subsampling)
Note that "4:4:4" may instead be referring to R'G'B' color space, which implicitly does not have any chroma subsampling at all. Formats such as HDCAM SR can record 4:4:4 R'G'B' over dual-link HD-SDI .
post #205 of 222 Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 PM

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about getting one of these, probably the 37 inch one, 37CS560. A few questions that I'm hoping someone, perhaps cclashh, can answer:

1. Does its reputed low input lag apply to the composite or component input as well as HDMI input? I'll be using it for Wii gaming.

2. I'll be hooking it up to a laptop using a DVI to HDMI cable for media watching. That won't include audio, of course. Can this TV use another audio input when using an HDMI video input in this way?

3. I see reports of judder as the one common problem with the TV. Does this happen with TV reception (over-the-air antenna, no cable/satellite/dvr box), or only with a 24fps blu-ray source? (I'm not concerned with blu-ray.)

Thanks!
post #206 of 222 Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmooney View Post

Hi folks,

I'm thinking about getting one of these, probably the 37 inch one, 37CS560. A few questions that I'm hoping someone, perhaps cclashh, can answer:

1. Does its reputed low input lag apply to the composite or component input as well as HDMI input? I'll be using it for Wii gaming.

2. I'll be hooking it up to a laptop using a DVI to HDMI cable for media watching. That won't include audio, of course. Can this TV use another audio input when using an HDMI video input in this way?

3. I see reports of judder as the one common problem with the TV. Does this happen with TV reception (over-the-air antenna, no cable/satellite/dvr box), or only with a 24fps blu-ray source? (I'm not concerned with blu-ray.)

Thanks!

Simply put there is a vast array of monitors such as the one we discuss that will effectively act as an output peripheral for a Wii gaming system. The questions I answer are relevant only to the difficulty in using a monitor developed for purposes dis-similar to the reason the monitor was developed and the source of the output it processes. My quest was a more complicated one in that "TV" monitors are NOT generally designed to be effectively used as an output device for computers and required some manipulation and necessity for understanding the output device and its source, in this example the LG 37CS560, to get the results I desired. I was merely successful at doing that. What you face is a less complicated than what I was facing in that your Wii is designed to cooperate with "TV" monitors which gives you many more choices if not unlimited choices in what you use as a "TV" monitor. In your situation you can pretty much go out and buy whatever "TV" monitor you wish to and get the results you seek with the Wii. "TV" monitor parts and manufacturing processes have become less expensive so differences in price are no longer profoundly different variables in quality. Compromises are not so much an indication on the consumers part that mean if you pay less you are pervasively sacrificing performance. In that regard you may pick whatever "TV" monitor you wish in that this TV or any other will most likely be fine.

There are a few basic things that will be needed to use for a laptop. No, you cannot use this TV for audio using DVI as that would require a secondary audio input that the TV does not have. You will have to use a secondary audio device connected to audio out from the laptop or the laptop speakers themselves. DVI should be used and the PC mode for the HDMI input you are using on the TV should be used. The Picture wizard on the TV should be used. The clear type wizard in windows seven should be run. Do these things, peruse the data in the below link ultimately to find and run the tests for the desired subsampling outcome to verify that it is effectively working as a laptop monitor. If not try the other DVI out and run a utility that can be easily researched to modify video drivers to remove sound instructions and increase bandwidth (if using DVI I do not predict this to be needed) if there is one bearing in mind that this is not a likely outcome and that by following the previous instructions this will work.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381724/official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread

Judder and input lag are a subject that I would approach in this way which is to say the same thing I said in the first paragraph. This process has become lower cost so providing quality at a lower price is swiftly becoming much easier to do from a manufacturing stand point. I have had no issues with any such extraneous details like the ones you seek to address. Calm down this is not rocket science you are simply a consumer making educated decisions about a limited world of choices in the products of engineering and manufacturing processes and making a science out of the multiple uses you need to correspond with each other. Getting past effective use as a computer output device is your primary hurdle the other purposes are the reason engineers designed it, the reason it was manufactured, and the reason it is on display at local retailers and online like any other TV. I have seen NO judder, NO input lag, or any other problem that I would feel compromised on or invesitigate other than effectively getting to the the best way to use it as a computer output device. If that is not your desire or a major priority, using it as a pc monitor that is, then go where you are going and buy whatever you want that your bank account will allow. I have this TV and paid what I did and got the size that I did for one reason. I am happy with the results I get as a pc monitor and my choices for that are limited. If I was using it for a Wii it would not be only 37 inch. It would as big as it could be with an LED lamp and 120Hz refresh rate that would last longer than the flourescent bulb and the 60Hz refresh rate that this TV has (I do not care that its only 60Hz because that is all a PC can do) -- by a company that I deem is good at it for the least amount of money I could pay. The compromise I made on the bulb this TV has is again my use as a pc monitor as choices for resolution at these smaller sizes are usually limited to 720p. It is less common to find them at 1080p because as a TV 720p is ok but not OK as a PC monitor. Simply put this works well as a PC monitor so I was willing to and had to compromise otherwise I may have chosen LG but would not have gotten this one! In considering other purposes I would have had unlimited choices which would have been simple - 1080p at least 120Hz -LED for bulb life and power consumption and as big as possible probably by LG because they are the lowest cost and have been at this long enough to get good at it. Have Fun Erikmooney!!!! that is what you are trying to do!!
post #207 of 222 Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:

Hi folks,

Thanks!

Simply put there is a vast array of monitors such as the one we discuss that will effectively act as an output peripheral for a Wii gaming system. The questions I answer are relevant only to the difficulty in using a monitor developed for purposes dis-similar to the reason the monitor was developed and the source of the output it processes. My quest was a more complicated one in that "TV" monitors are NOT generally designed to be effectively used as an output device for computers and required some manipulation and necessity for understanding the output device and its source, in this example the LG 37CS560, to get the results I desired. I was merely successful at doing that. What you face is a less complicated than what I was facing in that your Wii is designed to cooperate with "TV" monitors which gives you many more choices if not unlimited choices in what you use as a "TV" monitor. In your situation you can pretty much go out and buy whatever "TV" monitor you wish to and get the results you seek with the Wii. "TV" monitor parts and manufacturing processes have become less expensive so differences in price are no longer profoundly different variables in quality. Compromises are not so much an indication on the consumers part that mean if you pay less you are pervasively sacrificing performance. In that regard you may pick whatever "TV" monitor you wish meaning that this or most other TV's will do it. Of course that means getting a brand that has been doing it long enough to perfect it.

There are a few basic things that will be needed to use for a laptop. No, you cannot use this TV for audio using DVI as that would require a secondary audio input that the TV does not have. You will have to use a secondary audio device connected to audio out from the laptop or the laptop speakers themselves. The PC's DVI should be used and the PC mode for the HDMI input you are using on the TV should be used. The Picture wizard on the TV should be used. The clear type wizard in windows seven should be run. Do these things, peruse the data in the below link ultimately to find and run the tests for the desired subsampling outcome to verify that it is effectively working as a laptop monitor. If not try the other DVI out if there is one and or run a utility to modify video drivers to remove sound instructions and increase bandwidth (using DVI this is not a requirement I predict) bearing in mind that this is not a likely outcome and that by following the previous instructions this will work.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381724/official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread

Judder and input lag are a subject that I would approach in this way which is to say the same thing I said in the first paragraph. This process has become lower cost so providing quality at a lower price is swiftly becoming much easier to do from a manufacturing stand point. I have had no issues with any such extraneous details like the ones you seek to address. Calm down this is not rocket science you are simply a consumer making educated decisions about a limited world of choices in the products of engineering and manufacturing processes and making a science out of the multiple uses you need to correspond with each other. Getting past effective use as a computer output device is your primary hurdle the other purposes are the reason engineers designed it, the reason it was manufactured, and the reason it is on display at local retailers and online like any other TV. I have seen NO judder, NO input lag, or any other problem that I would feel compromised on or invesitigate other than effectively getting to the the best way to use it as a computer output device. If that is not your desire or a priority for you, using it as a pc monitor that is, then go where you are going and buy whatever you want that your bank account will allow. I have this TV and paid what I did and got the size that I did for one reason. I am happy with the results I get as a pc monitor and my choices for that are limited. If I was using it for a Wii it would not be only 37 inch. It would as big as it could be with an LED lamp and 120Hz refresh rate that would last longer than the flourescent bulb and the 60Hz refresh rate that this TV has (I do not care that its only 60Hz because that is all a PC can do) -- by a company that I deem is good at it for the least amount of money I could pay. The compromise I made on the bulb this TV has is again my use as a pc monitor as choices for resolution at these smaller sizes are usually limited to 720p. It is less common to find them at 1080p because as a TV 720p is ok but not OK as a PC monitor. Simply put I did make compromises and had to only because I was using it as a pc monitor and that is not yet a general expectation I can have at this point otherwise for other purposes my choices would be simple -1080p -LED for bulb life and power consumption -120Hz -as big as possible -probably by LG because they are the lowest cost and have been doing it long enough to get good at it. Have Fun Erikmooney!!!! that is what you are trying to do!!
post #208 of 222 Old 02-19-2013, 07:16 AM

Thanks a ton for the informative comments, Cclashh. Yeah for the Wii, I'm not really worried about picture quality, because the machine only does standard definition of course. I _am_ worried about low input lag on the composite/component input. (I had an Insignia LCD TV which proved terrible for the Wii, I measured it at six frames input lag on composite even with game mode enabled.)

As for PC monitor use, it'll just be for media watching from DVDs and streaming like Hulu. I'm sure it'll be satisfactory for that, was just wondering if the TV had a way to handle audio in this situation. (Some do have this ability to use another audio input with HDMI video.)

Thanks again!
post #209 of 222 Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks a ton for the informative comments, Cclashh. Yeah for the Wii, I'm not really worried about picture quality, because the machine only does standard definition of course. I _am_ worried about low input lag on the composite/component input. (I had an Insignia LCD TV which proved terrible for the Wii, I measured it at six frames input lag on composite even with game mode enabled.)

As for PC monitor use, it'll just be for media watching from DVDs and streaming like Hulu. I'm sure it'll be satisfactory for that, was just wondering if the TV had a way to handle audio in this situation. (Some do have this ability to use another audio input with HDMI video.)

Thanks again!

Glad what I offered was useful! One correction -the Wii is not only standard def. Definitions in resolution are assessed in this way. 480i is what is considered standard definition and the only parameter that can realisticly be considered "standard defintion" It is only considered that because we compromised for years because a standard had to exist based on the investments that were made to pervay content to peoples homes. That can look OK on a television that was designed to process it correctly. It is really no longer a standard it is a method we abandoned to FINALLY accomodate something better. Anything above that resolution can be considered a High Def standard. In practical purposes Hig Def should really be defined in this way; 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p because they all transcend 480i that we continue to consider the standard -it isn't anymore. Realisticly those resolutions could be higher and your TV could be made to process even more lines. The specs I list are simply what was decided on as standards that people can follow to get what it is they seek. For our purposes 480p is a much more effective way to make something visually pleasing and is to be considered an advancement for the reason that it is a more effective way for a High Def TV to process and display information. The Wii is not 480i it is 480p and is capable of making its content much more visually pleasing than 480i can be processed and displayed on a "High Def" TV. The point is not so much the resolution being the variable but what we accomplish is what is perceived as visually pleasing. The specifications or high def if you will are this; the "p" in the spec means progressive which means the TV processes the display one line at a time consecutively at each pass -meaning line 1 then line 2 all the up to the number of lines that are available from the device. Compared to that the "i" in the spec represents interlaced and that means that the display is processed by the odd and even numbers at each pass meaning that it does the odd numbers at one pass and then does the even numbers at another pass to display the same visual image. Progressive is more effective at making that image visually pleasing to you. The number in the spec means how many lines horizantally the TV is given to process at one time. More lines means more visually pleasing. In that regard the Wii is not standard def and is not to be expected to be trying to output a resolution using a small number of lines interlaced that is not effectively processed by High Def TV's. It does process only 480 lines but the fact that it does it progressively or all lines at a time makes a profound difference! There is a reason that Nintendo decided that 480p would be adequate for the application the Wii serves meaning that to do what you are with it 480p should be OK........ Please make sure you are changing the Wii's settings to accomodate 480p or it may just say progressive. You are already using component cables and you are because that is the only way to get 480 lines progessively -480p. DVD players have been able to do this since before HIgh Def TV's were common but you had to tell it you were thru it's OSD....
post #210 of 222 Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 PM

Ok, I got my 37CS560 today.

Unfortunately, it's not quite as perfectly lagless as I'd been hoping. The calibration in Guitar Hero II (on the PS2 via 480p component) gets 65-70 ms lag, which is four frames. The Wii also has lag that is low but perceptible. It's tolerable for general gaming, though I'll keep my old CRT around for serious use in Guitar Hero and Rock Band. I set the picture and input modes to Game, including the label on the component input. All the picture processing features are turned off in game mode. Is there any other setting related to lag that I'm missing?

It works great for PC use. Once I got it set up. Even though the PC sends native 1920x1080, for some reason the CS560 showed the picture slightly zoomed in, cutting off the edges and awkwardly scaling the pixels slightly. But changing the zoom setting from 16:9 to Input Scan fixed that and made it look great. It does seem to fail the 4:4:4 chroma subsampling tests; I'll experiment later with that EDID overrride utility, but honestly the lack isn't even perceptible to me. Also, changing the HDMI input label to "PC" is definitely a bad idea; it looks like that enables some kind of overaggressive edge enhancement that really screws up text. But it looks fine without that.

I'm very satisfied with it for TV use too. It changes channels noticeably faster than most other digital TVs I've seen. And the menus are crisp and responsive and well laid out. (I always fidget around in the menus a lot during TV commercials. smile.gif ) No problems with judder or motion on any TV input, either 480i or 720p or 1080i. Finally, the swivel stand is very nice; I never even thought of that feature but it's very convenient in my setup where I often turn it towards the kitchen while cooking. So I think I'll keep this baby.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 42 Inch 42cs560 , Lg 47cs570 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page