Do I need a new TV? (HDMI input question) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased an LCD 6 years ago and it has one HDMI input. Currently I use it for my HD cable box. I have an older DVD player with the old yellow, red, white cables, but it's on the fritz.

I want to get one of those new DVD players with streaming capabilities (netflix, etc...) built in, but they seem to have HDMI outputs.

Since I only have one HDMI input is there anything that can be done? I've seen HDMI splitters, but I would think I need both the cable box and DVD player on at the same time, or am I mis-informed. Is that even an option or should I just get a new TV with multiple HDMI inputs?

Spliiters are pretty cheap so even if the splitter option is viable, I could do $100 for the DVD player or get a new TV with the streaming WIFI built in for $500 and just use Netflix over the DVD player.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
No, you don't need a new set. Simply hook up the cable box to the TV using the component connections. (Red, Green, Blue-Video / Red, White-Audio). Any standard RCA cables you may have lying around will suffice.The picture quality will be just as good as using the HDMI connection. It just takes a few minutes longer to hook up initially.

I actually prefer the component connection for FIOS as it allows more flexibility with the cable box.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 07:44 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfwolf View Post

I purchased an LCD 6 years ago and it has one HDMI input. Currently I use it for my HD cable box. I have an older DVD player with the old yellow, red, white cables, but it's on the fritz.

I want to get one of those new DVD players with streaming capabilities (netflix, etc...) built in, but they seem to have HDMI outputs.

Since I only have one HDMI input is there anything that can be done? I've seen HDMI splitters, but I would think I need both the cable box and DVD player on at the same time, or am I mis-informed. Is that even an option or should I just get a new TV with multiple HDMI inputs?

Spliiters are pretty cheap so even if the splitter option is viable, I could do $100 for the DVD player or get a new TV with the streaming WIFI built in for $500 and just use Netflix over the DVD player.

Thanks!

There are many options. One being getting a AVR. I had a HD CRT, with only one HDMI connection, and I had that hooked up to my AVR, with everything else connected to my AVR.

For me to give you a better answer, I would need to know if your one HDMI connection on your tv is ARC capable, and if you are interested in getting HTIB or Sound System. Frankly, I don't know how others put up with the stock sound in tvs, whether it be CRT, LED, or Plasma.

You can check out the powered splitters at monoprice, but I think there are better options.

My 2nd question is, does your HD Cable box have Component connections? If so, I would use that and hook up a new BD player via your one HDMI connection.

I would suggest upgrading to a BD player, possibly one that's 3D capable. This would be just in case you ever decide to upgrade your tv. Most new mid priced tvs (LED/Plasma) come with 3D.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfcg View Post

For me to give you a better answer, I would need to know if your one HDMI connection on your tv is ARC capable, and if you are interested in getting HTIB or Sound System. Frankly, I don't know how others put up with the stock sound in tvs, whether it be CRT, LED, or Plasma.

It's a 6-year old TV. ARC wasn't even a glimmer in an HDMI engineer's eye 6 years ago.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern View Post

It's a 6-year old TV. ARC wasn't even a glimmer in an HDMI engineer's eye 6 years ago.

Well then I would just use the Component connections on the HD cable box (if it has them), buy a BD player and connect via HDMI, and call it a day. That's if this person isn't looking for an excuse to upgrade either his/her sound or tv.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

yes my TV has open componenet cables - that's the red, green blue ones, correct? Are those just video? Do I need the RGB, plus the white and red audio cables?

I should have thought about that first. My TV is wall mounted and the cables run through into my closet, so I just need to do some snaking (PITA for me).

New TV is always tempting, but if I don't have to I won't. I just wanted to find out my options.

Thanks for all your help.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Frankly, I don't know how others put up with the stock sound in tvs, whether it be CRT, LED, or Plasma.

Some LCD & Plasma set's do have sound that is acceptable for casual everyday viewing, though have never heard an LED that sounds better than a transistor radio.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do I need the RGB, plus the white and red audio cables?

Yes 5 connections total. 3 for video & 2 for audio.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:

yes my TV has open componenet cables - that's the red, green blue ones, correct? Are those just video? Do I need the RGB, plus the white and red audio cables?

I should have thought about that first. My TV is wall mounted and the cables run through into my closet, so I just need to do some snaking (PITA for me).

New TV is always tempting, but if I don't have to I won't. I just wanted to find out my options.

Thanks for all your help.

Yes, that's component, and yes you will need to pass sound through another means. Do you have Optical connections on your HD box and tv? If not you will have to utilize the red & white analog audio cable.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

It's all done. All I need to do is pick up the new Blue Ray and plug it in. The HDMI cable from my TV is still running from the wall into my closet so all I need to do is plug that into the back of the DVD player.

Thanks to all for your help. And knocking me into my senses and stopping me from buying a new TV. Could be the first time I logged onto this site and didn't spend more than I was planning on.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Thanks!

I have one of these and the auto switching works every time. It basically gives you three inputs instead of one.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
+1

I have 5 HDMI devices on one input thanks to a $20 auto switch similar to the one above. Component is a good solution overall, but not for disc players due to the analog sunset limiting resolution.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

+1

I have 5 HDMI devices on one input thanks to a $20 auto switch similar to the one above. Component is a good solution overall, but not for disc players due to the analog sunset limiting resolution.

I never suggested using Component Cables for his BD/DVD player. I said use the Component for the HD Cable box and the HDMI for the BD player.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfwolf; View Post

I purchased an LCD 6 years ago

Thats a looong time ago. 2008/2009 the first ''ok" LCd's hit the market so buying a new flatscreen in 2012 would be a BIG improvement (When buying a new 1080p flatscreen you should also buy a HD cable/satellite receiver and a blu-ray player - will work best for SD and HD stuff).
post #15 of 15 Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

I never suggested using Component Cables for his BD/DVD player. I said use the Component for the HD Cable box and the HDMI for the BD player.

Sorry, just skimmed the thread and saw component mentioned. Now that I actually read the details I see the OP already solved the problem, so my post is pointless anyway.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page