Mounting LCD planel to drywall only? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm in a residential highrise building and want to mount an 11lb 23" LCD screen to a wall using an Ergotron LX mount which will position the display about 12-14" from the wall. Total weight would be around 15 lbs.

My walls appear to be made up of about 1.5" of drywall over metal studs. But, no one at building management seems to know what the walls are truly made of, and when I talk about mounting the display, they don't care about holes and whatnot as long as I fill them when I move out. They're very nervous about people mounting things that require long bolts due to their being water pipes for hydronic wall heating, etc.

Both of my studfinders (one regular one and a magnetic-only one) go off vertically along my wall every 16" or so. But when I drill into the wall, I continue to go through soft material for about 1.5", and then hit metal. I made a 1/2" hole to put a toggle bolt, but when I shine a light in the hole, I see shiny metal covered by little tiny stars. I've drilled into the metal about 1/16" and haven't gone through, so even though I originally thought it's just a light gauge metal stud... now I'm not so sure. And I don't know if I have the balls to drill through metal when I'm not 100% sure what it is.

I put a finish nail into the wall 2" over and it's hallow after 1.5". So my idea is to mount the monitor using Snap Toggle bolts (the mount is tall and narrow and has two holes for two bolts).

If the drywall is 1.5" thick and I use Strap Toggle bolts, should have be enough to hold an 15lb display 14" from the wall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would never hang ANYTHING directly from drywall with no stud support. I don't even like hanging small pictures just with the drywall. If you are going to mount it, do it properly to avoid serious injury to you or your guests, and a broken tv.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

I would never hang ANYTHING directly from drywall with no stud support. I don't even like hanging small pictures just with the drywall. If you are going to mount it, do it properly to avoid serious injury to you or your guests, and a broken tv.

This.

Look, the tv is only 7kgs or so. Its bugger all. But guess what, drywall is pretty weak.

Its just crumbly plaster in there, you know. Its not like a solid, hard bit of brick.

It doesnt have the density of brick, or even wood!

Basically, the weight of the tv over time, short or long, combined with gravity, will probably pull it out. You see, with any rack, the tv will have a slight lean forward or if not that, the center of gravity will drive the weight forward.

But think of the drywall itself and with 7-10 kgs hanging off it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week....its going to drag the plaster wall downward, making holes bigger, and losening it.

Don't do it. And its not like you can know where you will be drilling into wood(tho a tap test might help? Not recomending it)....And remember often there are wires behind drywall. Or other material.

A great alternitive it to get a high set of drawers (easier than getting a high desk) and put the tv up there. Not the same, sure, but almost. And no damage.

The bracket instructions I've seen specifically say, only hang from a proper wall
post #4 of 9 Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM

There are many options for mounting into the drywall.

Though toggle bolts are the strongest here are a few other options.

I like the threaded drywall screw. They can hold up to 90lbs each, when you buy the correct ones. Check any hardware store; they are all rated with the weight they support. I use these to secure handrails in commercial buildings.

http://www.renovation-headquarters.c...ll-anchors.htm
post #5 of 9 Old 03-06-2012, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You're going to have to plaster in the holes anyways right? Why not just cut out a 2x3 or so square piece of dry wall, build a support with 2x4's, 2x2's or even 1x1's in the wall via the hole you cut out. Put the square piece back in, tack it with a few nails to the frame you just installed and plaster in the cut marks from where you cut it out. Simple and you get an effective frame behind the wall exactly how you want it to your own specs.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Usually I say NO to drywall only, but seeing that it's only 15LB - meh! So if it EVER fall and breaks you are out, what $150? Ur survive.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I want to laugh at though who are saying, they wouldn't hang anything on drywall not even a picture and then point out that it may not have studs.

That's pure BS. First things first. Build codes require studs in all walls, load bearing or not, they could be metal studs vs wood studs, they are just as good at carrying a load. That said, it could be hanging off of sound isolation brackets that allow for small movement, but they're still secure.
Also for apparent dwellings with fire ratings, even in the least coded area's are going to require 1/2" drywall for fire seperation.

On to the next thing. As long as you're hanging it on the vertical surface and not out of the ceiling, and you have appropriately weighted toggle bolts/drwall isolating screws, it can hold a really heavy load. I've got art work and mirrors weighing > 50lbs and have never had a problem. Note that I wouldn't hang 50lbs from the ceiling w/ a toggle bolt as it will pull through, but hanging it on a wall, the stress is mostly in compression as apposed to in tension (i.e. the stress is mostly trying to push the bolt down through the drywall compressing the material below it, while in the ceiling it doesn't have material below it, so it the strength to punch a hole through it.)

With 15lbs I wouldn't even buy a specialty bolt, 4 screws w/ plastic drywall anchors will do. My rear speakers are mounted on a vertical wally for the past 5yrs this way, and they weigh in at 14lbs each. Note at my old house when the were in the ceiling (same speakers) I put a 2x4 wood cross member above the drywall and screw the brackets through the drywall into the cross member.

Samsung PN64D550 (Home Theater Setup)
Denon AVR-3808CI - Mirage FRx Speakers
Samsung UN50H6350 (Living Room)
Yamaha HTR6130 - Polk RTi/CSi Speakers
Samsung UN32EH5000 (Master)
post #8 of 9 Old 03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
With a static mount I wouldn't sweat it...with an articulating mount that is going to set 12-14" off the wall, that's a little iffy, especially if you are going to be pushing it in and pulling it out. Is there an electrical outlet on the same wall, what's it mounted to.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

With a static mount I wouldn't sweat it...with an articulating mount that is going to set 12-14" off the wall, that's a little iffy, especially if you are going to be pushing it in and pulling it out. Is there an electrical outlet on the same wall, what's it mounted to.

While you may be fine mounting to drywall only, my own experience with a towel bar in the bathroom has made me loath to mount anything except where backed by a stud.

I tried drywall anchors, Molly bolts, etc. and finally just bought a towel bar long enough o mount to the studs.

Perhaps the act of pulling a towel off the bar exerts greater force than the weight of your TV, but I would mount the TV properly if only for piece of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays