Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 274 Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

Stating that this display is edge lit is accurate. Who told you it was back lit?

I cant speak for the EH5300, but the EH5000 is back lit. This is why we are getting superb uniformity, no clouding and no flashlighting. The only real issue with this HDTV is the pixel smearing at certain colors when using it as a PC monitor, other than that it is excellent and I would only return it if a 32D5000 was given to me with the same uniformity, no clouding and no flashlighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 274 Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium08 View Post

I cant speak for the EH5300, but the EH5000 is back lit.

I have the same question for you. Who told you it was full array LED back lit?

All of the online specs that I've seen at authorized dealers state LED edge lit.
A couple of reputable examples: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...=Apply+filters

And, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30532E5...45#details-tab

If it was full array back lit, I wouldn't see dark corners on a white test pattern.

It must be partial array back lit.
post #93 of 274 Old 05-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post

I have the same question for you. Who told you it was full array LED back lit?

All of the online specs that I've seen state LED edge lit.
A couple of reputable examples: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...=Apply+filters

And, http://www.crutchfield.com/p_30532E5...45#details-tab

If it was full array back lit, I wouldn't see dark corners on a white test pattern.

It is a full array backlit LED panel...this was pointed out in another thread. If it were a edge lit, it would be so thick...just an FYI.

And i decided to keep this and avoid the hassle of returning it. I use this for MOSTLY watching TV, but also as a PC monitor and for gaming. The smearing is pretty awful, and it struggles MIGHTILY in dark screens in that sense. Movies, for the most part just look plain putrid. Anytime there is movement on the screen, the detail from peoples faces, just downgrades to a big blur (im being slightly gregarious here). And it even happens on live broadcasts (games, news, etc.). Was watching the game last night, and when the pitching coach was walking out to the mound, it looked like his jacket and hat were alive, as they were moving and swirling all around when he was moving.

Anyhow, im just going to suck it up and get a new TV in a few years...its whatever. Its a bedroom TV, so its not as big of a deal as if this were my main set.

Just of note, my LN46A850 suffers from NONE of these issues...and its 5 years old. I LOVE this TV and you can still find them online. I should have just bought another one and said screw it. Dumb me.
post #94 of 274 Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

It is a full array backlit LED panel...this was pointed out in another thread. If it were a edge lit, it would be so thick...just an FYI.

I wonder when Samsung is going to tell their authorized dealers that they have the wrong specs for the EH series?

Samsung's website and Samsung's .pdf specs for this display don't specify the back light design.
The authorized dealers must have received poor or no communication regarding this from Samsung.
post #95 of 274 Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post

And i decided to keep this and avoid the hassle of returning it. I use this for MOSTLY watching TV, but also as a PC monitor and for gaming. The smearing is pretty awful, and it struggles MIGHTILY in dark screens in that sense. Movies, for the most part just look plain putrid. Anytime there is movement on the screen, the detail from peoples faces, just downgrades to a big blur (im being slightly gregarious here). And it even happens on live broadcasts (games, news, etc.). Was watching the game last night, and when the pitching coach was walking out to the mound, it looked like his jacket and hat were alive, as they were moving and swirling all around when he was moving.

Anyhow, im just going to suck it up and get a new TV in a few years...its whatever. Its a bedroom TV, so its not as big of a deal as if this were my main set.

Just of note, my LN46A850 suffers from NONE of these issues...and its 5 years old. I LOVE this TV and you can still find them online. I should have just bought another one and said screw it. Dumb me.

I can see the smearing when browsing websites but I've never had any issues with it on movies, details are pretty well kept even in motion and I've watched a lot of movies/series on this TV using my PC. For gaming the only part I noticed it smear is with Mass Effect 3 but it was in a very limited scenario. Between the smearing and limited viewing angle, I say the latter is noticeable and a bit annoying at times depending on the game.

I've been using Entertain mode and Im starting to like it over standard as It removes the whitish overcast no matter what I did with standard mode I can never get the same effect with out lowering the brightness to much that it kills details in shadows.

Im guessing Entertain has some sort of dynamic contrast enabled by default?

Also what gamma are you guys using, -2 ?
post #96 of 274 Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium08 View Post

I can see the smearing when browsing websites but I've never had any issues with it on movies, details are pretty well kept even in motion and I've watched a lot of movies/series on this TV using my PC. For gaming the only part I noticed it smear is with Mass Effect 3 but it was in a very limited scenario. Between the smearing and limited viewing angle, I say the latter is noticeable and a bit annoying at times depending on the game.

I've been using Entertain mode and Im starting to like it over standard as It removes the whitish overcast no matter what I did with standard mode I can never get the same effect with out lowering the brightness to much that it kills details in shadows.

Im guessing Entertain has some sort of dynamic contrast enabled by default?

Also what gamma are you guys using, -2 ?

I dont have an entertain mode on mine.

I use +1 gamma...adds more detail to the shadows.

Maybe i just have a bum set, but the smearing is pretty awful.
post #97 of 274 Old 05-11-2012, 05:32 PM

Liked: 10
post #98 of 274 Old 05-17-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybob View Post

I think the 5300 is an awesome set! I would go for the 5300 over the 5000. The extra $50 buys quite a lot.

Ok I have read thru these post and very helpful. I am thinking of getting the 40eh5300. I would be using it for main TV and watching blu ray movies. I read that some have already upgraded the firmware but saw that it was for the 46eh5300. So this should not matter. And now for a goofy question. How would or do the firmware upgrade.

Yes go to samsung site but then download the firmware to flashdrive and then load into tv? Do I need to do the firmware upgrade if I purchase tv?
I am interested in this model over the 5000 since it has the extra usb port and extra hdmi port. Any thought appreciated
post #99 of 274 Old 05-17-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom5 View Post

I am thinking of getting the 40eh5300. How would or do the firmware upgrade.

Yes go to samsung site but then download the firmware to flashdrive and then load into tv? Do I need to do the firmware upgrade if I purchase tv?
I am interested in this model over the 5000 since it has the extra usb port and extra hdmi port. Any thought appreciated

If I recall correctly, you can also get the firmware upgrade directly through the tv when it's connected to the internet. This only applies to the EH5300, as it is a Smart TV, where as the other EH**** models are all dumb.
post #100 of 274 Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 PM

What is on the new update?It says better picture q????
post #101 of 274 Old 05-23-2012, 02:15 PM

Ok, just set this TV and so far so good. Just wondering if there are any optimal settings that should be utilized. Thanks!
post #102 of 274 Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 AM

I have recently bought UN46EH5000F and tried to attach an external powered USB HDD, gets recognized pretty well. I am able to see pictures, music and movie folders. Except for one MKV (720p/1.5GB) none of the MKVs movies played directly on this TV. I have bunch of M4As which are not visible when browsed thru folder contents. I will be registering DiVx before attempting XViDs files on this TV, though nothing has stopped me from doing so now.
post #103 of 274 Old 06-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was looking at a Samsung UN46EH5050 this morning. It looks like there are some other owners here. Also, are there any other places I should look to learn more about this Samsung?
post #104 of 274 Old 06-03-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay in some of my responses. This thread was dead for a while after I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

Anything more to report? I'm interested in this TV to replace my smaller and oldish basic Sammmy LN32B450 in my bedroom. I find it interesting you liked gaming on the TV since it is a 60Hz set.

Yes, I'm still very satisfied. Again, I don't have a way to perform an accurate lag test, but I've had a lot of success playing MW3 online. I used to play a lot of competitive gaming and at some point you can "feel" the lag when playing. I don't detect any of that here.

Your question about liking at 60hz TV is relevant because it took me a long time to get to a point where I was willing to "sacrifice" and buy on that only did 60hz. My understanding is that any current game sytem outputs in 60hz max. 120/240hz TVs simply apply post-processing to increase the number of frames that they are actually displaying. So, in basic terms, it takes frames Actual Frame 1 (A1) and Actual Frame 2 (A2) and then creates one additional Fake Frame (F1) for 120hz or three additional Fake Frames (F1-F3) for 240hz.
60hz
A1--------------->A2
120hz
A1------>F1------>A2
240hz
A1->F1->F2->F3->A2
In order for the TV to fake those extra frames, it has to have both A1 and A2 available, and then compute what those fake/transitional frames look like, and then output them. At 60hz with no post-processing, the TV could theoretically output the frames as quickly as it receives them. A 240hz TV with post-processing is going to receive A1 and A2, then perform whatever built-in hocus pocus is configured on the TV, create three additional fake frames, and then finally, many milliseconds later, output them. In order for me to reduce gaming lag as much as possible, I need all post-processing to be disabled, which in-effect means that I'm going to end up with 60hz output regardless of the TV I choose.

If I've miscommunicated anything above, please feel free to correct me and I'll update the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek_k View Post

Ravanux - could you please do the tests mentioned in this post in EH6000 thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21931906

Thank you

Marek, my camera is my iPhone. Would pictures from it be sufficient?
post #105 of 274 Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Disclaimer: I'm an HDTV noob.

I just got the 32EH5000 to use primarily as a computer monitor. I love it! I originally purchased an LG 32cs560. It wasn't horrible, but the picture was too blurry for my liking. The EH5000, on the other hand, looks much closer to a computer monitor in clarity. I've also noticed that after a day or so of use there seems to be a lot less pixelation. I suspect that is just due to my eyes adjusting and my brain compensating for the deficiencies in clarity with a large screen, compared to my previous 23" monitor at least.

Input lag:

I can feel it, but just a little with FPS PC games, namely Payday: The Heist. It's certainly not enough to hamper gameplay. In fact, if I didn't know there was such a thing as input lag, I may not have noticed at all. With that said, enabling vsync does make input lag more noticable. I also have a NSX-40GT1 that I tried with my computer and the input lag was HORRIBLE.

Regarding the TS01 and 02 versions, mine is version TS01 (April 2012 manufacture date with firmware 1011) and all 32" EH5000's at my local Best Buy were version TS01. The 40" EH5000's were all TS02's. Is this normal for the 32" or is there in fact a panel lottery?

Lastly, I've noticed that the two top corners of the bezel are loose. You can push each top corner in an 8th of an inch or so, but not so with the bottom two corners. Checked the screws and they were tight. Can someone confirm if their display does this or not? Just want to make sure it's not a manufacturing defect with mine.

post #106 of 274 Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 AM

So i've had the 32eh5000 for a month now, and just realized that nothing is showing in 1080 on it - it says 720p for everything. I know not all sources are 1080, but with the same cable box, sports that my Panasonic plasma reports as being in 1080 are only 720 on my Samsung

Also, my Roku can't show anything if I set it for 1080 output. Any ideas?
post #107 of 274 Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Any owners comment on the cable sd image quality of the 5000 series ?

arthur
post #108 of 274 Old 06-08-2012, 02:20 AM

Another update for the UE40EH5000KXXU

5th June

T-MST9DEUC-1015.1

Really do wish we could have changelogs!
post #109 of 274 Old 06-08-2012, 07:02 AM

Hi everyone? I am searching for the officizal settings for this television. Until they come long, I have found these settings useful:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-563930/best-settings-for-samsung-un40eh6000/?tag=contentBody;threadListing
post #110 of 274 Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleeds27 View Post

Another update for the UE40EH5000KXXU
5th June
T-MST9DEUC-1015.1
Really do wish we could have changelogs!

There is somewhat of a changelog on the Samsung web site directly underneath the download for the firmware itself.
Just click on the blue + sign next to the listing of the firmware to bring up the description of the file.

As it says,

"This firmware update will improve the following: - Makes better picture quality and solves sound noise with ''Auto Volume On''. - Corrects AMP setting to work. - Optimizes picture brightness change on Eco Sensor On."
post #111 of 274 Old 06-08-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEdortheHighway View Post

There is somewhat of a changelog on the Samsung web site directly underneath the download for the firmware itself.
Just click on the blue + sign next to the listing of the firmware to bring up the description of the file.
As it says,
"This firmware update will improve the following: - Makes better picture quality and solves sound noise with ''Auto Volume On''. - Corrects AMP setting to work. - Optimizes picture brightness change on Eco Sensor On."

I have not gone to the samsung site after reading this. But will this update work on the 40eh5300? Or are updates only for that model. I know probably a 6100 update will not work on a 5300. But the 5000 and 5300 are in the same model range.
thanks
post #112 of 274 Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpHeRe31459 View Post

Anything more to report? I'm interested in this TV to replace my smaller and oldish basic Sammmy LN32B450 in my bedroom. I find it interesting you liked gaming on the TV since it is a 60Hz set.

Just curious, as I am still trying to find specs of my old TV. LN26B460, does it have an actual refresh rate faster than this TV? I can't quite find the specs. A 32" LED would be a def picture quality upgrade. Product specs just list my current one as "8ms response time" and further digging doesn't come up with anything.
post #113 of 274 Old 06-21-2012, 05:42 PM

Has anyone noticed if the red LED on their set is on during some kind of activity?

I noticed mine is on at times (32EH5000), but I can't figure out exactly when; I just noticed it is on, for a couple of times - and because I haven't quite figured out when it is on, I can't know for sure if it is normal or some faulty behaviour... I just finished watching a movie with the WDTV Live, connected by HDMI, and the LED was on, same for the PS3 (HDMI) in the afternoon - but when I changed to TV input, it was off... Is it normal to be on during HDMI play? I can't quite remember if it has been on all the time I've been using HDMI connected equipment...

Even so, I thought it was supposed to be on only when the set itself is off...
post #114 of 274 Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravanux View Post

525x525px-LL-0d2fa708_vbattach239412.jpeg
525x525px-LL-e9e53712_vbattach239413.jpeg

I wanted to take a moment to compliment your very neat and attractive setup. Could you please provide some captions or descriptions for the two photos at the bottom; I'm not sure what it is that I am viewing.

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #115 of 274 Old 06-27-2012, 01:26 PM

I am considering purchasing the UN40EH5000 model and have a feel questions if possible. My main uses will be from the ps3 console(gaming, blu-ray, netflix). Is this set good enough in terms of picture quality and input lag for console gaming? Some games that I play are Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, Borderlands, and Max Payne 3.
post #116 of 274 Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhurd View Post

I wanted to take a moment to compliment your very neat and attractive setup. Could you please provide some captions or descriptions for the two photos at the bottom; I'm not sure what it is that I am viewing.
They appear to be looking down at the stand from the front of the TV. You can see the "SAMSUNG" logo that's at the bottom bezel in both pics. The protective film appears to be still on the stand.
post #117 of 274 Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 AM

Location: San Diego County, southern California, USA, Planet Earth
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I thought so, too. Same subject with and without flash.

Edwin R. Hurd
AVS Forums Lurker-In-Training!

My Tight-space A/V Setup
post #118 of 274 Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 PM

I just picked up a un32eh5000 that I will be using as a computer monitor and xbox 360 gaming tv.

So far, I really love this thing. It works great as a computer monitor! Nice and sharp text, great colors, etc.

I know alot of people are wondering about input lag with the un32eh5000. Heres a couple pictures, it ranged from 30ms to 40 ms, with most being 30ms...

post #119 of 274 Old 06-29-2012, 04:45 AM

Has anyone else figured out how to get into the service menu aside from the mute 182 power button ?
post #120 of 274 Old 07-04-2012, 05:29 AM

Another update released on the 29th June 1017.1
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46a750 46 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln40a750 , Samsung Un40eh6000 40 Inch Led Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - Un46eh5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page