Official Samsung UNXXEH5000/UNXXEH5050 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 274 Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread is intended for the UNXXEH5000/UNXXEH5050 series. The only differences that I can find on Samsung's site indicate that the 5000 has a better contrast ratio (3,500,000:1 vs 3,200,000) and the 5000 is solid black while the 5050 is rose/black. These TVs come in 32", 40", and 46" flavors and are all 1080p, 60Hz with 120Hz Clear Motion.(I saw some posts regarding this TV but no thread to track specifics. If this is already started or needs to go elsewhere, please move/merge.)

Just picked up a UN46EH5050 yesterday from Sam's. I was looking for a sub $1000 46" TV for Gaming (360) and HD TV. I was coming from a HL-61A750 that was too big for the room I'm now using. My goals were to find something with an attractive appearance, good picture quality, and minimal gaming lag. PQ was an easy enough upgrade to find due to the nature of the A750 (DLP rear projection). I spent a substantial amount of time worrying over numerous TVs and gaming lag due how satisfied I was with the A750 - it is known for having very minimal lag.

My Setup:
I have a Sony HT-CT500 connected to the HDMI1/DVI port on the TV. I have an XBOX 360 and a DirecTV HD/DVR box connected to the CT500.

Physical Appearance:
It's not as thin as some LED's/LCD's but it has a nice, small bezel - which I was looking for. It has the rose/black border and base pieces. The coloring is very subtle and hard to notice unless you have some direct light on it. You can see in the last two pictures the difference between no-flash and with-flash. My only complaint with the physical aspect is that the IR sensor is low enough that it can be easily blocked by my sound bar. Not everyone will be in this situation, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Picture:
**Let me begin this by saying that I'm not a professional calibrator or videophile.** Out of the box, I chose the Home setup option when initially configuring the TV and found that it was inaccurate to the point that it was distracting. When the wife and I watched some shows that we had on the DVR and I struggled primarily with the brightness and inaccuracy of fleshtones. I would not consider myself sensitive to these types of issues, but it did make it hard to enjoy watching HD programming. Side note: my wife didn't notice any issues with picture while watching.

I have an AVIA DVD that I use for calibration. I turned off all of the post-processing and ran through the calibration. I've used it on 4 or 5 TVs in the past and never been able to get colors as accurate as I have been with this TV. Normally every TV I've calibrated had 5-10% red or green push after dialing things in as closely as I can; however, I was able to get all the colors right on the money (this probably makes more sense if you've used the AVIA DVD) - again please see the note above about my TV calibration street-cred. The end result is a much better picture. The attached photos really don't do it justice. And the viewing angles are much better than the photos would leave you to believe. I can sit in either off-angle chair from where I took those pictures and view the image very comfortably.

Inputs, Features, and Extras:
This is a no-frills TV with minimal inputs and no gadgets or built-in Wifi/ethernet connectivity. I'm using my CT500 to connect all my devices so I only needed one. The only "add-on" capability that it has is called ConnectShare Movie. It is the ability to play/view certain types of media from a USB card. I've not tested this nor will I be likely to ever use it. Bottom-line: If you're looking for a TV with all the bells and whistles you're going to be dissapointed by this TV.

Gaming: I played an hour or two of Skyrim last night and I absolutely loved the way that this TV made everyhing come-alive. The picture was much more crisp than my old Samsung and the colors were much more believable. I turned off all post-processing through the menus before calibration and did not turn it back on to play 360, and I didn't notice any lag. I'm going to play some FPS later today, and I'll report back my feelings once I've done that. No, I do not have a CRT or camera to perform an accurate Lag test.

Overall: I'm very satisfied with the purchase. The TV looks great and seems to perform well at a price-point that I'm very satisified with.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 274 Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Liked: 11
For anyone who's interested, TelevisionInfo.com has now posted a review of the UN40EH5000, which they actually prefer to the UN40EH6000 (ignore the overall score currently at the beginning of the review, which apparently is an error due to their ongoing recalibration of their scoring system):

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm (UN40EH5000 review)

And to include it in the same post for the sake of completeness, here is their review of the UN40EH6000:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm (UN40EH6000 review)
post #3 of 274 Old 03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravanux View Post

Gaming: I played an hour or two of Skyrim last night and I absolutely loved the way that this TV made everyhing come-alive. The picture was much more crisp than my old Samsung and the colors were much more believable. I turned off all post-processing through the menus before calibration and did not turn it back on to play 360, and I didn't notice any lag. I'm going to play some FPS later today, and I'll report back my feelings once I've done that. No, I do not have a CRT or camera to perform an accurate Lag test.

Anything more to report? I'm interested in this TV to replace my smaller and oldish basic Sammmy LN32B450 in my bedroom. I find it interesting you liked gaming on the TV since it is a 60Hz set.
post #4 of 274 Old 03-22-2012, 08:00 AM

There's a firmware update available for this TV as of 3/20/12:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...UN40EH5000FXZA
post #5 of 274 Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post

Changes:

Quote:

Firmware ver.1008.4

Title: LED TV Firmware for EH5000 and EH6000 Series(Ver.08.4)
Description: Firmware makes better picture quality and solves sound noise with ''Auto Volume On''.

post #6 of 274 Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got the 32eh5300 which is basically a 5000 with the internet features. The set could not detect any firmware updates available thru its built in wireless.

The dyanmic setting is extremely dark and very bright. Watching Tonight show, the background is extremely dark & saturated. So far it seems Natural or standard is best to me, movie is somewhat faded. Definitely need to run Avia or another setup disc.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #7 of 274 Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 PM

The EH5300 series isn't even up on the Samsung web site yet (probably in the next week or so). Samsung is a bit behind in getting its support systems up for these new models.

Without many adjustments, I actually prefer the standard setting for these TVs.
post #8 of 274 Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 AM

I am kind of wondering why on this model both the 6000 series and the 5000 series does not have Ethernet and is only limited to 2 HDMI inputs. To me this is like a step backwards. Why pay more money for less connections?

Maybe Samsung would answer this?

OK I found some specifications on the Samsung UN40EH5300 (Black) - This is just for comparison purposes!

I guess this means the 5300's are smart TV's with one more HDMI input, Ethernet & WIFI. I will not mention the price, but at the website(VANNS) I was at it looks like it has more features for less money. It looks like it might be worth waiting for.

•Screen size: 40" (31.5") LED flat screen TV
•Aspect ratio: 16:9, 1920 x 1080p
•Key features: Smart TV with Samsung Signature services, built-in Wi-Fi, AllShare Play, ConnectShare Movie, web browser
•Picture featuers: Clear Motion Rate 120, Wide Color Enhancer Plus
•Inputs: 3 HDMI / 2 USB / Ethernet / component video
•Outputs: Digital audio out
•Audio: 10W x 2 / Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pulse, SRS TheaterSound HD
•Mounting options: pedestal stand (included) / VESA mounting options (mount sold separately)
•Remote control included

Wonder if they will start using USB3?

Since I want to connect it to a computer like a HTPC I would want as many connections as possible. I think the network connectivity would be good for upgrading and connecting to other wireless devices and computers on the network.

The Truth will find a way!
post #9 of 274 Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceh4702 View Post

I am kind of wondering why on this model both the 6000 series and the 5000 series does not have Ethernet and is only limited to 2 HDMI inputs. To me this is like a step backwards. Why pay more money for less connections?

Maybe Samsung would answer this?

OK I found some specifications on the Samsung UN40EH5300 (Black) - This is just for comparison purposes!

I guess this means the 5300's are smart TV's with one more HDMI input, Ethernet & WIFI. I will not mention the price, but at the website(VANNS) I was at it looks like it has more features for less money. It looks like it might be worth waiting for.

Screen size: 40" (31.5") LED flat screen TV
Aspect ratio: 16:9, 1920 x 1080p
Key features: Smart TV with Samsung Signature services, built-in Wi-Fi, AllShare Play, ConnectShare Movie, web browser
Picture featuers: Clear Motion Rate 120, Wide Color Enhancer Plus
Inputs: 3 HDMI / 2 USB / Ethernet / component video
Outputs: Digital audio out
Audio: 10W x 2 / Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pulse, SRS TheaterSound HD
Mounting options: pedestal stand (included) / VESA mounting options (mount sold separately)
Remote control included

Wonder if they will start using USB3?

Since I want to connect it to a computer like a HTPC I would want as many connections as possible. I think the network connectivity would be good for upgrading and connecting to other wireless devices and computers on the network.

It was less? At abt and vanns , the 32" 5300 is $30 more than the 5000 MSRP.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #10 of 274 Old 03-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:

will this work with UE40EH5000, or is there another file for my model?
post #11 of 274 Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glottiz View Post

will this work with UE40EH5000, or is there another file for my model?

I would NOT assume that it will (in fact, I'd assume that it WON'T). Different refresh rates in Europe, etc. In fact, no firmware update currently appears on the support page for that model on the Samsung UK site:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...00KXXU-support

If I had that model, I would only download firmware updates from that particular page.
post #12 of 274 Old 04-20-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravanux View Post

When the wife and I watched some shows that we had on the DVR and I struggled primarily with the brightness and inaccuracy of fleshtones.

I used the UN32EH5000 for a PC display, OTA and component/SAT for a while.

The preset picture modes on Samsungs do typically make Fleshtones look as though people have been embalmed. Fortunately, that can be improved with a little tweaking. The movie picture mode is the only one that is even close to being usable, unless you are viewing it outside in direct sunlight.

The Samsung Clear Motion 120 advertising gimmick certainly doesn't make moving objects have the same clarity as a 120Hz refresh rate display. The LED Motion Plus scanning or strobing backlight seems useless. There isn't any apparent improvement in the clarity of moving text (CNBC ticker) when the feature is set to On. On another brand display that I have with a scanning backlight, I do notice slightly more clarity in moving text when the scanning backlight is set to On. With the Samsung, when setting the LED Motion Plus to On, the picture gets substantially darker, so you will need to increase the normal backlight setting.

I noticed some strange behavior with the gray scale when changing the contrast. Noticeable color in the grey scale fluctuates considerably as the contrast is changed from low to higher numbers. At near maximum contrast the lightest grey scale box turns green while most of the others were reddish. The grey scale did need some work, since mine tended to have a purple hue.

If you plan on connecting a DVI device with a DVI/HDMI adapter cable, be advised that there is no longer a separate analog audio input available to the HDMI 1 input to make use of the display speakers. You will need to adapt analog or digital audio to the HDMI input if you plan on making use of the display speakers. (The user manual states, "Not supported" in this regard.)

Speaking of the HDMI ports. 2 available, both on the right side end of the housing. So you will see the cable sticking out the right side.

The thicker depth of the display housing does allow for an improvement in the audio quality of the internal speakers. There is actually some bass.

The stand doesn't swivel and not to sturdy. It allows the display to rock back and forth when using the display mounted menu control (joy stick like button).
The joy stick menu button will leave you stranded in a deep menu setting because there doesn't seem to be a return feature like on the remote.
You then need to exit the menu completely (and start over) rather then returning up one level in the menu to access other settings.

The top of the screen is tipped slightly towards the viewer, as now seems to be the trend. Horizontal viewing angle is not particularly great compared to some other brands/models. Vertical viewing angle seems a little better than other brands/models.
The screen lens is closer to gloss than matte. Lots of focused reflections.

I played DVE test patterns and screen uniformity was outstanding on my unit. No banding, no flash lighting or dead pixels.
On an all white pattern there was just a hint of darkness in the corners, but you really had to study it to notice.

Overall, this is a nice entry level 60Hz display. With a little tweaking the picture is great. The sound quality is improved from the prior years thin housing, however if you plan on hanging it on the wall, you might want to consider the thickness.

The OTA tuner holds a weak signal a little more stable than other brands that I tested that dropped the signal completely. The extended program guide is nice compared to most other brands having only now/next program info.
mule65 likes this.
post #13 of 274 Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEdortheHighway View Post

Given televisioninfo.com's favorable review of the EH5000 over the EH6000, I'm probably going to do with the EH5300. However, I'm thinking of waiting until June for when the 50" EH models come out and get the UN50EH5300. Too bad they aren't going any higher in size on the 5000/5300.

I would wait for other reviews. The picture settings claimed to be used in the review for the best picture quality, were ludicrous.
Backlight: Maximum, Contrast: Maximum. Can you say burn my retinas?

He must have forgotten to remove his 3D sunglasses when he did the calibration.
mule65 likes this.
post #14 of 274 Old 04-22-2012, 09:09 AM

Liked: 15
Can you guys please do an input lag test?
post #15 of 274 Old 04-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Ravanux - could you please do the tests mentioned in this post in EH6000 thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21931906

Thank you
post #16 of 274 Old 04-22-2012, 02:01 PM

The 5300 is the same price as the 5000 right now and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger as it has a lot of additional features (Netflix, DLNA, PIP, etc) and the extra HDMI. I can only assume the 5300 would have the same glowing review that televisioninfo.com gave to the 5000 since they both have the 120 processing instead of the 240 that the 6000+ have. I checked out the 5000 at Sears and I'm glad to hear the audio as some actual bass due to the deeper cabinet. The only cons that I see are the very flimsy non-swiveling base and I wish the screen was more matte. It's not super glossy but nothing compares to my older light-busting JVC LCD. I wish they still made screens like that. Anyway, the 5300 looks like it has just about everything I'm looking for. Not sure if it's worth waiting for the price to drop since Samsung (and Sony) require the same price for all retailers and who knows how long they'll keep current prices going.
post #17 of 274 Old 04-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfas34 View Post

The 5300 is the same price as the 5000 right now and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger as it has a lot of additional features (Netflix, DLNA, PIP, etc) and the extra HDMI. I can only assume the 5300 would have the same glowing review that televisioninfo.com gave to the 5000 since they both have the 120 processing instead of the 240 that the 6000+ have.

I would NOT assume that the picture quality of the EH5300 is the same as that of the EH5000. I've recently had both (as well as the EH6000), and this is what I posted about the 5300 vs. the 5000:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=10

I ended up keeping the EH5000, and have been quite happy with it.
post #18 of 274 Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:

I would NOT assume that the picture quality of the EH5300 is the same as that of the EH5000. I've recently had both (as well as the EH6000), and this is what I posted about the 5300 vs. the 5000:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=10

I ended up keeping the EH5000, and have been quite happy with it.

You stated the 5300 seemed more matte than the 5000 and 6000 which sounds great to me. Having said that, it doesn't make sense why the 5000 and 5300 are priced the same, or nearly the same without the "sale" expecially since the 5300 does have a lot of additional features. Seems too good to be true, and perhaps it is. Is there anything that really stood out on the 5000 versus the 5300 that you can pinpoint? Something like the 5000 image just popped with more detail, contrast, etc? Or was it more subtle + the interface and lack of need for built in apps that had you sticking with the 5000?
post #19 of 274 Old 04-22-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfas34 View Post

You stated the 5300 seemed more matte than the 5000 and 6000 which sounds great to me. Having said that, it doesn't make sense why the 5000 and 5300 are priced the same, or nearly the same without the "sale" expecially since the 5300 does have a lot of additional features. Seems too good to be true, and perhaps it is. Is there anything that really stood out on the 5000 versus the 5300 that you can pinpoint? Something like the 5000 image just popped with more detail, contrast, etc? Or was it more subtle + the interface and lack of need for built in apps that had you sticking with the 5000?

The 5300 was just a bit more matte, almost imperceptibly so. The difference was so insignificant that I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on that.

I can't really be much more specific about the differences in picture quality between the 5300 and 5000. As I said in the previous post, I didn't really spend a lot of time playing with specific settings and adjustments. With just some minor tweaks of the standard modes, however, the colors and picture of the 5000 looked more accurate to me, and I just generally preferred the picture. I also preferred the menu interface of the 5000, which is similar to that of the 6000.

Because the 5000 and the 6000 have the same version number (TS02) and essentially the same firmware (they share the same firmware update on the Samsung web site), and their version number and firmware are different from those of the 5300, one would assume that--aside from the different refresh rates--the picture quality of the 5000 would be more like that of the 6000 than that of the 5300. And that is what I personally observed. In other words, in terms of picture quality and menu adjustments, I had the sense that the 5000 and 6000 were closely related, whereas the 5300 was from a different family, if that makes any sense.
post #20 of 274 Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM

Greetings!

Hey, I really like what I see out of the UN40EH5000, but my Sam's Club has the UN40EH5050 on sale. I am concerned since the 5050 has a lower contrast ratio it isn't the same panel. Does anyone know that for sure? If it's the same panel, I will be buying one this week. Unfortunately, i cannot compare them side by side to discern if there is a visual difference.
post #21 of 274 Old 04-24-2012, 05:48 AM

Hi guys,

I bought the UN40EH5050 last weekend from Costco. I believe the EH5000 and EH5050 share the same panel, since they both used the same firmware upgrade, and both panels are labeled TS02.

So far my impressions are good, but I'm still trying tinkering with the picture. As of now I can say the blacks are black, but I am having trouble with a good contrast setting. I am running the TV through my HTPC, and it seems the HD3000 is clipping whites. I would be interested in seeing the settings of a fully calibrated TV.
post #22 of 274 Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 PM

Both panels are marked the same? That's great news! I'm going for the 5050.
post #23 of 274 Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 AM

I have the UE40EH5000

New FW was released yesterday. Any ideas whats changed?
post #24 of 274 Old 04-25-2012, 07:12 AM

There are almost no differences between the 5000 and the 5050. Not sure what Samsung did to create this new model
post #25 of 274 Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Can anyone test for 4:4:4 color support?
post #26 of 274 Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM

Do you think they lowered contrast ratio, just so they could sell it for less at the big box stores?
post #27 of 274 Old 04-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleeds27 View Post

I have the UE40EH5000

New FW was released yesterday. Any ideas whats changed?

Where do you see a new firmware? Link? The latest one available on Samsungs website was posted on March 20th.
post #28 of 274 Old 04-25-2012, 07:57 PM

Thinking about pulling the trigger on the UN46EH5300FXZA, any input on this model? Thanks!
post #29 of 274 Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semlethe3rd View Post

Where do you see a new firmware? Link? The latest one available on Samsungs website was posted on March 20th.

He's talking about the European model (UE, not UN). It threw me for a loop, too, until I realized that.
post #30 of 274 Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium08 View Post

Can anyone test for 4:4:4 color support?

I tested my 5300 using the test pattern posted on this forum somewhere. I forget what the pattern is called. It was the simple one with color bars. It passes if the input is set to PC, otherwise not. The display then uses "native" color space which my testing shows is not correct for playing DVD's using the computer, but the display looks so much better with everything else this way, this is how I run it.

PC mode also keeps the backlight from shutting off automatically when the screen goes full black which is a good thing, as this feature is not implemented properly. Meaning in non-PC mode, sometimes a fade to black ends up with the backlight blinking on and off when it should stay off. I did not notice how many fade to blacks there are in movies until watching in non-PC mode where this unit would flash on and off. Even if it did not flash, turning the backlight off took me out of the movie. I think this feature should have like a 15 second delay to be used as a screen blanker. That way if playing audio only, it will shut off, or if you set the screen saver to black, it will shut off. I wish that it was possible to use an input for audio only. If an input does not have a video signal, it cannot be selected. I saw nothing in the service menu to change this.

I like that you can actually use the light sensor on this model because you can set the minimum backlight and the maximum backlight. The regular backlight setting is what will be used when it is light, and the minimum setting is what is used when it is dark. This works really well. Sometimes it will go back and forth maybe two to three times when the light is right on the edge, but overall it works really well. It lowers the backlight when I would do it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ln46a750 46 Inch 1080p Dlna Lcd Hdtv With Red Touch Of Color , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv , Samsung 40 Inch Lcd Hdtv Ln40a750 , Samsung Un40eh6000 40 Inch Led Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page