Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 113 Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Jason what equipment do you use ?
Thinkin' I might as well start DIY .. as I think it's fun ...........

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 113 Old 03-10-2012, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I currently use a certified Spyder3 because when you have a good one it is one of the better color meters due to its design (at least it was when I bought it, now the i1D3 is considered better and will stay accurate longer, which is why I am about to purchase one). I have a reference sRGB monitor that I test the Spyder with before each use as well, just to confirm its accuracy since they can drift over time (even when stored properly... air-tight with silica gel packs).

If you are considering going the DIY route then go for the i1D3, if you don't mind spending a bit more consider an i1Pro.

Best of luck,
Jason

Jason

Perhaps we should both just stop the commercials for isf. I am convinced that most of JP6 will be just fine with the settings posted. If they want the next step, you have shown them the way.

Also dont forget, us videophiles like you and I are a dying breed in that once a display reaches a certain price point, spending.$500 to isf a display which may or may not yield a perceivable result to the owner becomes harder to sell

Anyways back to enjoying this set
post #33 of 113 Old 03-10-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I currently use a certified Spyder3 because when you have a good one it is one of the better color meters due to its design (at least it was when I bought it, now the i1D3 is considered better and will stay accurate longer, which is why I am about to purchase one). I have a reference sRGB monitor that I test the Spyder with before each use as well, just to confirm its accuracy since they can drift over time (even when stored properly... air-tight with silica gel packs).

If you are considering going the DIY route then go for the i1D3, if you don't mind spending a bit more consider an i1Pro.

Best of luck,
Jason

Yeah I think I'll go with a i1Pro , what software ?the Calman ?

Mike

post #34 of 113 Old 03-10-2012, 08:39 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanez View Post

I use the settings provided here by Jason for my MOVIE mode when watching bluray movies. When watching Uverse cable, my only other source, I tweaked Standard mode to try to get the best picture I can since sources are all over the place in terms of PQ (from diff networks) as mentioned by Jason as well. So STANDARD with slight tweaking (mostly defaults but turned off SOE) for cable and MOVIE mode for bluray.

Thanks. Can you share your Standard settings? I do feel the Movie Mode adds a screen filter that crushes shadow detail on some programming.
post #35 of 113 Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns88 View Post

Thanks. Can you share your Standard settings? I do feel the Movie Mode adds a screen filter that crushes shadow detail on some programming.

Standard will induce its own problems. What settings have you tried thus far?
post #36 of 113 Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Standard will induce its own problems. What settings have you tried thus far?

Hello Suzook.
I have tried this
AV MODE: USER
OPC: OFF
BACKLIGHT: 0
CONTRAST: +29
BRIGHTNESS: +1
COLOR: +2
TINT:0
SHARPNESS: 0

ADVANCED MENU
CMS HUE/SATURATION/VALUE: DEFAULT
COLOR TEMP: DEFAULT
COLOR TEMP: RGB H&L - DEFAULT
MOTION ENHANCED: 120Hz HIGH
ACTIVE CONTRAST: OFF
GAMMA: +1
FILM MODE: OFF
DIGITAL NOISE REDUCTION: OFF
MONOCHROME: OFF

So far it works best for me. It gives me the best pop, but I do see some graininess. I have tried your settings for Movie, which removes the graininess but makes it dim and I see a loss of shadow detail. It's like a filter that makes things look like 1970s. I haven't seen a Blu-Ray movie yet on this TV so I'm still experimenting. I guess there's no universal mode and I have to switch modes depending on the content.
post #37 of 113 Old 03-10-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

What source are you using?
post #38 of 113 Old 03-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:

What source are you using?

FIOS. But the graininess is only some of the programming, like ABC News or Walking Dead. When the programming is clear, the pic is aweswome!
post #39 of 113 Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FIOS. But the graininess is only some of the programming, like ABC News or Walking Dead. When the programming is clear, the pic is aweswome!

Like anything its source dependent. Blu ray,.vudu hdx is incredible. Crappy feeds will give you the grain. Some movies have grain purposely induced. Sit back and let it sink in for a few days and if you dont like certain settings change them up ;-)
post #40 of 113 Old 03-10-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Like anything its source dependent. Blu ray,.vudu hdx is incredible. Crappy feeds will give you the grain. Some movies have grain purposely induced. Sit back and let it sink in for a few days and if you dont like certain settings change them up ;-)

Thanks. Looking forward to getting acquainted with this TV with some popcorn
post #41 of 113 Old 03-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Last night, I discovered something interesting. For the first time, I played a blu-ray movie, and I still same graininess. I switched to Suzook's movie settings, and again felt like a 1970s version of the movie. I tried PC mode, and it both removed the graininess and preserved the pop look and feel of the movie.
Is there any drawback to using the PC mode?
post #42 of 113 Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last night, I discovered something interesting. For the first time, I played a blu-ray movie, and I still same graininess. I switched to Suzook's movie settings, and again felt like a 1970s version of the movie. I tried PC mode, and it both removed the graininess and preserved the pop look and feel of the movie.
Is there any drawback to using the PC mode?

To.each is own but many enjoy these settings. Remember torch mode is not proper for a set.
You are likely seeing whats known as soap opera effect

Try each setting for at least a few days. If pc mode does it for ya than stick with that
post #43 of 113 Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:

To.each is own but many enjoy these settings. Remember torch mode is not proper for a set.
You are likely seeing whats known as soap opera effect

Try each setting for at least a few days. If pc mode does it for ya than stick with that

Suzook, I do feel strange going against popular opinion, especially when others are more informed regarding tvs. I wish I did see what everyone else was seeing. I also noticed that in PC mode, the motion frequency is disabled. Maybe the PC mode doesn't handle motion well. I'll continue to keep trying out each settings, esp yours. Thanks.
post #44 of 113 Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Suzook, I do feel strange going against popular opinion, especially when others are more informed regarding tvs. I wish I did see what everyone else was seeing. I also noticed that in PC mode, the motion frequency is disabled. Maybe the PC mode doesn't handle motion well. I'll continue to keep trying out each settings, esp yours. Thanks.

Hey im not offended in the least. When I first started to own my first flat panel I put brightness up and jacked a lot of other settings. It wasnt until I had my first isf and a great schooling on 6500k and bias lighting I realized my eyes were playing tricks on me.

And I will say it again that source is very reflective of the performance. Fios is know to overly compress their feeds. Blu rays and hdx vudu is a great way to ensure the best pq. Of course some of them have grain because thays how the director wanted it.

Enjoy your set no matter what settings you choose
post #45 of 113 Old 03-11-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 24
That's funny. I could swear last evening I saw a post in this thread by Chad B. saying that, as he found when calibrating an 80LE632U, red hue "had to be adjusted against what the measurements suggested in order to get realistic flesh tones", specifically toward yellow (+). Now it's gone.
Anyway, I agree. I'm using Suzook's friend's settings and really like them, but have had to adjust red hue to +8 to get natural flesh tones. That of course doesn't eliminate the red push/over saturation of them. I currently have red saturation at -12 to get rid of the "sunburned" look and may go even more negative. I doubt the TV singles out fleshtone reds to accentuate, so the -12 setting should bring all reds to the correct level. To my eyes it doesn't seem to have made reds overall look weak or pale.
post #46 of 113 Old 03-11-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

That's funny. I could swear last evening I saw a post in this thread by Chad B. saying that, as he found when calibrating an 80LE632U, red hue "had to be adjusted against what the measurements suggested in order to get realistic flesh tones", specifically toward yellow (+). Now it's gone.
Anyway, I agree. I'm using Suzook's friend's settings and really like them, but have had to adjust red hue to +8 to get natural flesh tones. That of course doesn't eliminate the red push/over saturation of them. I currently have red saturation at -12 to get rid of the "sunburned" look and may go even more negative. I doubt the TV singles out fleshtone reds to accentuate, so the -12 setting should bring all reds to the correct level. To my eyes it doesn't seem to have made reds overall look weak or pale.

And some of that may be the minor variances you get between sets and that these settings are the result of an isf cal. Either way they are still great for me
post #47 of 113 Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah there was a post from Chad around here somewhere, he must have pulled it. I discovered what he stated on my own so not sure why he would pull the info (maybe he didn't and it's in another thread, I honestly don't recall in which thread I read it).

I can tell you what you have done to the Red saturation will most likely set you a good bit away from being accurate regardless of whose settings you use (unless of course your set is drastically different from most other 632's). In turn you will also throw off the rest of the calibration by making such drastic changes, color calibration requires balance, in turn making it fairly pointless using those settings to begin with. Please understand I am not saying this with the intent to offend you in any way, I am just making you, as well as others that may be reading along, aware.

Jason

STOP please. You are convoluting this thread fast. Are you an ISF certified calibrator? No.

I dont know why you are so hell bent on being the protector of others over settings on a tv.

At the end of the day people here are plenty capable of deciding on their own what looks good in their eyes.
post #48 of 113 Old 03-12-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

STOP please. You are convoluting this thread fast. Are you an ISF certified calibrator? No.

I dont know why you are so hell bent on being the protector of others over settings on a tv.

At the end of the day people here are plenty capable of deciding on their own what looks good in their eyes.

Suzook,

REALLY?

This is a settings/calibration thread on AVS, you are the one that needs to STOP!

Are you an ISF certified calibrator, do you even do your own calibrations? No.

People come here looking for factual information and all I am trying to do is help, you might see that if you could get over trying to be Big Man on Campus for the Sharp threads. Just because you hire Kevin Miller to calibrate your displays this does not mean you know what he knows or even what I know (and I do not pretend to know what Kevin knows but one does not have to be ISF certified to do pro level calibrations or understand how it works). You have just insulted every DIY calibrator out there that has a very solid grasp on calibration and has achieved 6500k/D65 but is not ISF certified, congratulations.

I have always said to use what you enjoy (over and over actually) but that does not mean that people should be mislead into thinking such drastic changes to a pro level calibration will still give them accurate results (which you would think is what they are here seeking if they are using those settings to begin with, just applied logic).

We all have a right to voice an opinion, share information and our own experience as long as forum rules are not broken (none have been, at least until you insulted me), who are you to tell me to STOP when I am posting accurate information in a settings/calibration thread for the benefit of the forum?

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #49 of 113 Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Stop posting no. Stop posting things as gospel that new members may see and taken to be correct. You are basing comments on your own belief of whats proper in terms of color correction and calibration, still does not mean your right. I said earlier would should both put to rest the isf comparisons. Im not qualified and neither are you. End of story

And since you cant get facts stright I never hired Kevin but was supplied settings (as I stated) by someone who had.

No big man on campus, just cant sit back why you insist your opinions on color calibration are correct for everyone.

Before I forget, do you actually own the 80? Something tells me no
post #50 of 113 Old 03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Stop posting no. Stop posting things as gospel that new members may see and taken to be correct. You are basing comments on your own belief of whats proper in terms of color correction and calibration, still does not mean your right. I said earlier would should both put to rest the isf comparisons. Im not qualified and neither are you. End of story

And since you cant get facts stright I never hired Kevin but was supplied settings (as I stated) by someone who had.

No big man on campus, just cant sit back why you insist your opinions on color calibration are correct for everyone.

Before I forget, do you actually own the 80? Something tells me no

Wow, you simply do not get it do you.

Calibration is calibration, it's all done to obtain the same end result and my comments are not based upon what I think is accurate, it's based upon what IS accurate information. Do you really think I am making these statements simply based upon what my eyes tell me (no way). This is all basic stuff as far as calibration goes, it's obvious you do not fully understand it (so again who are you to question me when you do not even fully grasp what is being discussed???).

Oh come on now, seriously? You used someone else's settings and are sitting here telling me to stop, I'm sorry but that is just so ironic. Now I fully understand your dilemma!

Suzook, please stop this before it gets worse, you derailed the thread and others now have read all they need to in order to tell which of us knows what he is talking about. I am trying to help others achieve accuracy based upon actual knowledge and experience while you are just playing along as though you get it (it's obvious now that you do not so please just let this go, you have dug yourself a hole and it will only get deeper from here).

You know the other really ironic thing, if Kevin Miller or Chad B. came in this thread and stated exactly what I am stating you would not say a word other than to thank them for their help.

* No I do not own the 80" but I do own a 632 series Sharp and have feedback from many 60", 70" & 80" owners that my settings are wonderful (one 80" owner even commented to me that my settings are superior to the ones you posted, which he found to be OFF ). I know this was simply another reach by you because you feel yourself sinking, nice try but it didn't work.

** I want to clarify my statement, I am in no way implying that my settings are any better than the others posted as there are indeed set to set variables and getting a CAL off the net that works well is simply luck of the draw.

PLEASE for the sake of the forum just let it go and allow the thread to get back on track, you have had your say and I have had mine, let's simply help others from here forward. Thank You.

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #51 of 113 Old 03-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Less drama and more video settings please
I tried Suzook's settings, I liked them, but my wife's intial reaction was the pictured looked washed out. Not sure if it was the source or not but I'm starting to think she was right.
Any tips on what to adjust to remove this effect?
post #52 of 113 Old 03-12-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, you simply do not get it do you.

Calibration is calibration, it's all done to obtain the same end result and my comments are not based upon what I think is accurate, it's based upon what IS accurate information. Do you really think I am making these statements simply based upon what my eyes tell me (no way). This is all basic stuff as far as calibration goes, it's obvious you do not fully understand it (so again who are you to question me when you do not even fully grasp what is being discussed???).

Oh come on now, seriously? You used someone else's settings and are sitting here telling me to stop, I'm sorry but that is just so ironic. Now I fully understand your dilemma!

Suzook, please stop this before it gets worse, you derailed the thread and others now have read all they need to in order to tell which of us knows what he is talking about. I am trying to help others achieve accuracy based upon actual knowledge and experience while you are just playing along as though you get it (it's obvious now that you do not so please just let this go, you have dug yourself a hole and it will only get deeper from here).

You know the other really ironic thing, if Kevin Miller or Chad B. came in this thread and stated exactly what I am stating you would not say a word other than to thank them for their help.

* No I do not own the 80" but I do own a 632 series Sharp and have feedback from many 60", 70" & 80" owners that my settings are wonderful (one 80" owner even commented to me that my settings are superior to the ones you posted, which he found to be OFF ). I know this was simply another reach by you because you feel yourself sinking, nice try but it didn't work.

PLEASE for the sake of the forum just let it go and allow the thread to get back on track, you have had your say and I have had mine, let's simply help others from here forward. Thank You.

Jason

Chad has traveled 700 miles to my house for an isf. He and I can chat anytime and all the time. Kevin and I have spoke cordially through pm.

And settings from a 732 DO not translate to an 80. I know as I have owned a 732 as well personally calibrated by chad

.I will agree to disagree with you and leave it at that.
post #53 of 113 Old 03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Suzook,

You misread, I did not say anything about a 732 series, I am aware the settings do not x-over from a 632.

Jason

Ok....moving on.
post #54 of 113 Old 03-12-2012, 06:02 PM

Liked: 24
Sort of hate to jump in the middle of this...but I personally wasn't offended by Jason stating that my red saturation setting would be quite a bit off of "accurate". Chad B. himself said hue would need to be adjusted off measurement values for accurate flesh tones. Yet I'll admit it did make me hesitant to, "throw off the rest of the calibration by making such drastic changes" because I know technically he is correct. Red is a component of ALL colors in an RGB set, not just shades of red.
As Suzook has said though, "some of that may be the minor variances you get between sets and that these settings are the result of an isf cal". I don't have an ISF cal'd set and, as I hope most owners would decide, it ultimately comes down to my own eyes' preference.
So, in my opinion, you're both correct to provide the two sides to this adjustment quandry so all of us can make a practical, informed decision as to where we place our settings.
post #55 of 113 Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Sort of hate to jump in the middle of this...but I personally wasn't offended by Jason stating that my red saturation setting would be quite a bit off of "accurate". Chad B. himself said hue would need to be adjusted off measurement values for accurate flesh tones. Yet I'll admit it did make me hesitant to, "throw off the rest of the calibration by making such drastic changes" because I know technically he is correct. Red is a component of ALL colors in an RGB set, not just shades of red.
As Suzook has said though, "some of that may be the minor variances you get between sets and that these settings are the result of an isf cal". I don't have an ISF cal'd set and, as I hope most owners would decide, it ultimately comes down to my own eyes' preference.
So, in my opinion, you're both correct to provide the two sides to this adjustment quandry so all of us can make a practical, informed decision as to where we place our settings.

No worries. Jason knows I am right ha ha just kidding
post #56 of 113 Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:

B33R,

All these sets have slight variables set to set so don't expect perfection (not that you are).

Best thing to do is try the various ones posted and see what you like, beyond that you can check them on your set with a calibration disc to see if the basics are covered.

* If you think it looks washed out with various settings you may want to try Active Contrast (realizing this will slightly alter the calibrations, your family may simply enjoy it more).

My most recent Movie mode settings are here and you are welcome to try them...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=247

Best of luck,
Jason

These worked well for me. When I was adjusting the Gamma mode I cold see the "washed out effect" being removed. Thanks for the suggestion!
post #57 of 113 Old 03-13-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my 632 80" in the house now & I'll try Suzook's settings tonite & report back tomorrow.
what a P I A tearing everything down & then building it back up agin (AVR,Amps,players,HTPC,networking,D*TV, 9 speakers ) .. but it will be worth it all in the end .

Mike

post #58 of 113 Old 03-13-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
suzook and dagamepimp

i thank both of you for your contributions......

it was i that told jason his movie mode settings are stellar on MY set. initially i thought k.m.'s looked great, but soon began to notice a red issue. anyway i'm glad you both were kind enough to post.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #59 of 113 Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

suzook and dagamepimp

i thank both of you for your contributions......

it was i that told jason his movie mode settings are stellar on MY set. initially i thought k.m.'s looked great, but soon began to notice a red issue. anyway i'm glad you both were kind enough to post.

Way to ease me down gently :-)

All kidding aside I am glad your happy. Heck I might even try his settings :-)
post #60 of 113 Old 03-13-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Suzook,

It's very likely that Mr.Millers settings will work very well for some as will mine but then it's also likely neither set will work well for others. We certainly have enough evidence here to say the set to set variables exist and no single CAL is going to get every set close to accurate (aside from the obvious variable that mine were done on a 60LE632 ).

What I am wondering here is if there was something unique or special with the 80LE632 that Kevin calibrated (pre-production or even very early run and may have different internals from the later models? We'll probably never know). I have yet to hear of or see any other 632's with greyscale (CT=Low) that accurate out of the box.

Best of luck to those of you trying the various settings, hopefully you find something that works and adds to your enjoyment.

Jason

Pm me you email and I will send you the full cal report in all its glory :-)

It was a unit bought in mid december at HH Gregg
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page