post #91 of 113 Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Tried -10 saturation, but I prefer a tad bit less red blush...keeping the saturation at -12....darned good picture!

Seems on mine that the Suzook settings are great just the way they are
I have noticed that some sources just have a red slight push on faces & other do not ,, last nite on the ABC Nightly News one talking head ( a redhead) had a pink face & the other Italian face was normal

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yes, I've also noticed flesh tone differences from channel to channel which shouldn't be there. They're slight, but digital source signals "should" be very consistent. Then again, considering the amount of equipment involved and a transmission medium that, even for cable, shoots the signal to space and back, I suppose it's really quite remarkably good.
post #93 of 113 Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Just remember to never base/judge your calibrations on broadcast television (TOO MANY VARIABLES).

Jason

AMEN! I'm still amused at seeing faces going from flushed red to orange to greenish to near white all with the same settings. Cable is crap color wise and totally defeats the value of a good ISF calibration.
post #94 of 113 Old 04-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Liked: 10
I also notice some channels have more red than others. The strange thing is I never experienced this variation on my plasmas so I'm not as quick to blame my cable provider.

I just think the sharps have issues with the red that I will get used to. Sad thing is I'm getting used to the size as well and I'm yearning for a 90 in a year!
post #95 of 113 Old 04-17-2012, 06:40 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Yes the 632's do indeed have an issue with Red but this issue is static while your broadcast channels will have variables, this is why you'll see varying levels of the issue with broadcast tv. Plus you have to keep in mind that the 'by eye' suggestions you are reading in this thread are not 'accurate' adjustments and using them set to set will likely cause more harm than good regarding the 632 red issue.
I have now seen two sets of pro calibrations done on different size 632's where red saturation was not touched and my latest movie mode calibration ended up the same.
Jason

Hogwash! While our "by eye" adjustments may not be "accurate", they simply shift the static picture, which broadcast TV's variables then deviate from. That does not accentuate the red issue. And we already know a pro calibration to exact measurements, each of which should mirror the other, doesn't eliminate the problem.
You're trying to convince us sticking with pro cal settings will be a more enjoyable viewing experience, even though that yields totally unrealistic flesh tones, which is simply not warranted or wanted. Please quit trying to sway owners to your mindset.
post #96 of 113 Old 04-25-2012, 04:12 PM

Does anyone have some recommended settings for Game mode?

I use it to reduce input lag for games where I'm not so concerned with the colors being accurate. But I also hook the TV up to my HTPC and it would be nice to reduce the lag there too and still have good PQ.
post #97 of 113 Old 07-07-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 12
TV should be here in the middle of next week so getting everything in line so I will be ready to watch as soon as its up on the wall. Going to try Suzook's settings seeing how a lot of people like them. I see them on the first page but was there some tweeks done to those settings that are kind of like Suzook's settings 2.0.

I hear people talking about dot to dot, movie mode etc. Which one do I apply these settings to? I will be hooked up HDMI to the oppo 83 for blu rays and hdmi to DirecTV DVR.

post #98 of 113 Old 07-07-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

dot to dot in movie mode works best for me

Mike

post #99 of 113 Old 07-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Does that work for regular TV? I saw this post on the web:

Yes, I have the Sharp 60le847u and I was wondering the same thing you were...I finally figured it out. "Dot By Dot" displays every single pixel that is being viewed from any content. However, it will not configure the exact aspect ratio of the 16:9 signal being displayed. This results in white lines on the edges of the screen with most T.V. broadcasts. "Dot By Dot" should only be used when watching a movie on cable/fios/satellite or when using a blu ray player and video game system.
To avoid seeing the annoying white lines while watching t.v. keep your t.v. broadcast signal on "Stretch" mode. This mode will not degrade the picture quality. It spreads the 16:9 content to fill up the entire screen.

"Dot By Dot" mode - Use with any source aside from t.v. broadcasting...It works perfect with blu-ray, video games and other content.
"Stretch" mode - Use ONLY when watching Cable/Satellite/Fios etc...

I will be watching tv with directv and was wondering if the movie mode dot to dot would still work and look the best.

post #100 of 113 Old 07-07-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 View Post

Does that work for regular TV? I saw this post on the web:
Yes, I have the Sharp 60le847u and I was wondering the same thing you were...I finally figured it out. "Dot By Dot" displays every single pixel that is being viewed from any content. However, it will not configure the exact aspect ratio of the 16:9 signal being displayed. This results in white lines on the edges of the screen with most T.V. broadcasts. "Dot By Dot" should only be used when watching a movie on cable/fios/satellite or when using a blu ray player and video game system.
To avoid seeing the annoying white lines while watching t.v. keep your t.v. broadcast signal on "Stretch" mode. This mode will not degrade the picture quality. It spreads the 16:9 content to fill up the entire screen.
"Dot By Dot" mode - Use with any source aside from t.v. broadcasting...It works perfect with blu-ray, video games and other content.
"Stretch" mode - Use ONLY when watching Cable/Satellite/Fios etc...
I will be watching tv with directv and was wondering if the movie mode dot to dot would still work and look the best.
I have DirecTV & I use dot by dot ,
the stretch mode will distort the image on SD sources really bad . making them unwatchable .
The only channels I get the white data line is on the off channels that have not up-graded their feeds , most all of the main stream cable channels & broadcast channels you will not see it . To tell the truth on even the channels that do have the white data line I have become used it very quickly & find it's easy to ignore if I don;t let it bother me . I never see it watching a Blu-Ray or watching streaming thru my HTPC
\ Are you using a AVR ?

Mike

post #101 of 113 Old 07-07-2012, 02:23 PM

Yes but I'm going right from the oppo to TV for the video because I'm using a older Denon AVR-4800 and the multi CH analog for Bluray. The directv is hooked up via optical to the Denon for the sound and right to the TV via HDMI.

post #102 of 113 Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 PM

Where are dagamepimp or jason's settings?

post #103 of 113 Old 07-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

I'm using Suzook's (Kevin's ISF) settings and have red hue at +8 and red stauration at -17, which gives, to my eyes, very natural reds/fleshtones. While those are rather significant shifts, they are correcting a rather significant "issue", and I can detect no other skewed color shades as a result. Known baseball uniform colors as well as NASCAR colors look spot on.

Just to clarify - Suzook's settings are done with "movie" mode from post #2 on this thread from a "very good friend"?

--Tom
post #104 of 113 Old 08-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLocal175 View Post

Where are dagamepimp or jason's settings?

This is from one of the earlier posst in the owners thread, if there is a more updated one please let me know. Btw, this is from his 60" set, not from 80" but I like it.

EDIT: Also I put this in game mode, and put Suzook's settings in movie mode for comparison.
Quote:
OPC = off
Backlight = +2 (-3 works well in dark room)
Contrast = +26 (Up to 30 for more POP with slight alteration to calibration)
Brightness = +1
Color = -5 (red)
Tint = +4 (cyan)
Sharpness = +1 (or 0)

Color Temp = Low
LO
R = +13
G = 0
B = -29

HI
R = +3
G = 0
B = -18

Active Contrast = OFF (you can use it but it does alter some of the calibration)
Gamma = -2 (or -1 if you use Active Contrast)

HUE
R +5
Y +1
G -8
C +1
B +3
M -3

SAT
R +1
Y +2
G 0
C 0
B +13
M +1

VAL
R +3
Y 0
G +13
C 0
B +30
M 0
post #105 of 113 Old 08-18-2012, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Hogwash! While our "by eye" adjustments may not be "accurate", they simply shift the static picture, which broadcast TV's variables then deviate from. That does not accentuate the red issue. And we already know a pro calibration to exact measurements, each of which should mirror the other, doesn't eliminate the problem.

You're trying to convince us sticking with pro cal settings will be a more enjoyable viewing experience, even though that yields totally unrealistic flesh tones, which is simply not warranted or wanted. Please quit trying to sway owners to your mindset.

How much of the problem with 'real world' versus 'calibration by the book' is caused by poor backlight LEDs sources?
The calibration disc reveals severe red and green clipping which results from the anemic output of these colors from the blue LED/yellow phosphor light source.
If I took all the clipping out of the red, I would be left with a very dull picture. I doubt that Sharp is alone with this problem since all manufacturers have gone with
the same technology and maybe even the same manufacturers of white LEDs.
I have my picture's white level set as green as it will go in an effort to reduce the native blue coloration that clashes with all other colors.
Pushing the 10-point calibration to the maximum, I've barely achieved my preferred cool blue/green white light that flatters face tones from one source to another.
It was easy to achieve this color on my old Toshiba Regza with CCFL backlight. I'm waiting for the return of true incandescent black body radiators...and waiting...
post #106 of 113 Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM

Just bookmarking this thread.
post #107 of 113 Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 PM

Any other settings anyone wants to share?

I've been inputting settings like crazy.

I've found a few I love but notice some blur on fast moving objects.
post #108 of 113 Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I have had my set for about a week and have been looking closely for motion blur.

Watched a bunch of football over the weekend, thinking that I would certainly see trails on passes thrown down field.

Nothing that I was able to note.

I have Dish HD and only watch the HD channels.

Even with the motion setting on high, nothing that I can see.

I thought I saw some duplicate balls on one pass one of the Sunday games, but playing it back on the DVR and using pause, I discovered that the issue was with the feed.

Loving this set's combination of size and image quality.
post #109 of 113 Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 AM

What settings are you using?
post #110 of 113 Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 PM

Why does the av mode sometimes default back to Standard when I switch HDMI inputs or shut the TV off?
post #111 of 113 Old 12-01-2012, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
There are separate AV mode memories for each input. It defaults to the last mode used for that input. For example, if you used Game on HDMI1 and Standard on HDMI2 it would go back to those selections the next time the input is selected.

The TV itself is considered a separate input - like when you activate Netflix or VUDU.
post #112 of 113 Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 45
How do the 10-point and the 2-point color temperature settings interact?
HDMI input 2 allows 10-point, but it is grayed out on input 1.
If I set the 10-point in 2, will that setting be in effect on input 1?
WIll adjustments to the 2-point modify the adjustments of the 10-point?
Fortunately, my BluRay is on 2 so that I can set the 10-point with the calibration disc.
When I switch to the Satellite box on 1, I can only change the 2-point and don't know if they interact...?...
post #113 of 113 Old 12-11-2012, 03:55 PM

I just got my set and entered Suzook's settings on movie mode. They look good. The only change I did was to bump up the color temp one notch. This makes the colors less beige for me.

I also applies the same settings on Game mode. Looks similar but with a bit more pop.

Thanks!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page