Black consistency in LG 55LW5700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-08-2012, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently upgraded from an older CFL-lit LCD to the LG 55LW5700 (LED edge lit). Once I calibrated it, the picture looks amazing in bright scenes. However, in any extra dark scene, or if I plug in my PC and project an all-black screen, it's clear that the black level is not consistent. If I'm facing the tv head on (or at any angle really), it's clear the upper left corner is brighter than the rest (about a 4 by 6 inch triangle area). The far right side's edge is also a bit lighter black than the rest of the screen. I only notice it in dark scenes though, so it's not severe (and still better than my past CFL LCD).

Is this kind of black consistency expected in LED LCDs? Or should I think about trying out another one to see if it's just this set? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 AM
aod
Advanced Member

The 55LW5700 does not have local dimming, the 55LW5600 does. There is a way to enable it through the service menu, but do it at your own risk. That is why you are seeing the fluctuation. To a point, it is going to be that way with all edge lit tv's. Are you able to take it back and get a 55LW5600?

post #3 of 10 Old 03-30-2012, 12:51 AM

I was just at Lowes and I saw some Sylvania Led light bulbs that were about 20 bucks with a color temp around 3000K according to the box (I couldn't find a link online). I use compact flourecents for home lighting right now, but I wouldn't mind switching to LED if the "beam" and CRI are ok. Whats the best led bulb? What about the Cree bulb that was announced in January? Any information is appreciated, I'm a newb with flashlights and a bigger newb in this area. Connector / Power Wire LED Controllers LED Power Supplies
post #4 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

The 55LW5700 does not have local dimming, the 55LW5600 does. There is a way to enable it through the service menu, but do it at your own risk. That is why you are seeing the fluctuation. To a point, it is going to be that way with all edge lit tv's. Are you able to take it back and get a 55LW5600?

How can you have local dimming with an edge-lit backlight? Local dimming can only happen if you have grid lighting, no? What am I missing?

I'm now looking at a Dell web page describing the 5700 and it specifically mentions "local dimming". Does it or doesn't it?
post #5 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarmdog View Post

Is this kind of black consistency expected in LED LCDs? Or should I think about trying out another one to see if it's just this set? Thanks!

Unfortunately, this happens all too often... not much you can do other than buy a different TV or try another unit of the same model.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post

How can you have local dimming with an edge-lit backlight? Local dimming can only happen if you have grid lighting, no? What am I missing?

I'm now looking at a Dell web page describing the 5700 and it specifically mentions "local dimming". Does it or doesn't it?

you can, but it's not as effective as with a full-array LED backlight since you have much fewer dimming zones
post #7 of 10 Old 05-20-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe Stalvey View Post

I was just at Lowes and I saw some Sylvania Led light bulbs that were about 20 bucks with a color temp around 3000K according to the box (I couldn't find a link online). I use compact flourecents for home lighting right now, but I wouldn't mind switching to LED if the "beam" and CRI are ok. Whats the best led bulb? What about the Cree bulb that was announced in January? Any information is appreciated, I'm a newb with flashlights and a bigger newb in this area. Connector / Power Wire LED Controllers LED Power Supplies

this post belongs elsewhere in the forum
post #8 of 10 Old 05-21-2012, 11:04 AM
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post

The 55LW5600 has LED plus local dimming with 16 zones. Check out the official thread. 5700 doesn't have LED plus but owners stated they have enabled via service menus. I don't have a 5700 so I can't attest to this. There is also an official thread for the 5700 sets also. You may be getting full array local dimming confused with the LED plus local dimming. Dell is most certainly wrong if they advertise the 5700 as local dimming. The 55LW5600 is a fantastic bargain and great buy.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 PM

Actually I had read somewhere that the LW5700 was sold with different features enabled in some markets. So it's possible that the ones sold in Canada have local dimming available without tweaking. I guess I'll find out first hand in a couple of days (order is listed as "shipped", although there's no tracking number yet).
post #10 of 10 Old 06-20-2012, 02:32 AM

Liked: 12
Sir/Madame, to answer your question, yes this "kind of black consistency" IS expected in ALL edge-lit LED LCD TV's. Even if they contain features like LED PLus which will dim certain areas of the screen (from the edge). But do not be fooled and do not let anyone fool you into thinking the 5600 or the 5700 have local dimming. They don't.

Now people in this thread are confused. "Does it have local dimming?" No.

This is what you see with local dimming!

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page