Tilting TV Downward using Stand - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My 32" Samsung bedroom TV sits up high on top of a tall stereo cabinet and I want to angle/tilt the TV downward a bit for a more centered viewing position when watching TV in bed.

I placed a 1/2" H x 1.5" W x 17" L piece of wood under only the rear rubber feet of the TV's built-in plexiglass stand. The stand's non-elevated front rubber feet have so far prevented the TV from sliding forward and off the 1/2" high wood block.

The TV is not angled so much that it should tip over; there is no place to install a TV-holder kit. A wall mount kit is not an option.

Does anyone foresee any long-term problem with this set up? Could this eventually place too much stress on the stand or the plastic bracket (guide stand) that connects the TV's plexiglass stand to the back of the TV?

It seems to me this setup should be okay but I am curious if anyone here has experienced a similar setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Earthquake country? Experience has shown me that it doesn't take much to move things Is there anyway you could attach a cable tie or something similar to the base and then attach that to something more solid like the wall behind it (to a stud or mollie)?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't think you have any problem with the way you've tilted this TV. I essentially have done the same thing with a 50lb 47" TV atop a chest of drawers in my bedroom, and it's very stable just sitting there.
As for not having a place for a TV holder kit, I certainly don't know your physical lay out , but there are likely to be 1-4 VESA-standard screw holes in the back of your TV panel that could be used to improvise a way to secure the TV to the back of your cabinet, if it's really a concern.
Otto Pylot's above comments are indeed worth noting, depending on where you're located.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Earthquake country? Experience has shown me that it doesn't take much to move things Is there anyway you could attach a cable tie or something similar to the base and then attach that to something more solid like the wall behind it (to a stud or mollie)?

The TV also sits atop a table-top swivel stand which precludes me from tying it down to anything. I swivel the TV up to 90+ degrees side-to-side everyday depending on which part of the room I am in. Maybe I could figure out a way to tie it down to the swivel stand.

Earthquakes are not an issue in this part of the country.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
You will be fine. My 70 inch tv is sitting on a 27 inch high table which is sitting too high when seated such that I lose seeing detail at top of LED TV. So I put a 1/2 inch wedge under the back of the stand of tv so that top of screen is actually tilted 2 inches closer than bottom of screen. Very stable.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

You will be fine. My 70 inch tv is sitting on a 27 inch high table which is sitting too high when seated such that I lose seeing detail at top of LED TV. So I put a 1/2 inch wedge under the back of the stand of tv so that top of screen is actually tilted 2 inches closer than bottom of screen. Very stable.

If it is stable with your large TV then I should fine.

I am curious, where did you get your 1/2 inch wedge or did you make it? I am just using a flat 1/2" board.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I had some old baseboard left over and is a perfect 1/2 inch wide high wedge that i cut to the size of the base length. The tv's weight keeps it very stable
Old 03-09-2012, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I had some old baseboard left over and is a perfect 1/2 inch wide high wedge that i cut to the size of the base length. The tv's weight keeps it very stable

A wedge shape piece might be better than my flat board. That gives me a good excuse to visit Home Depot.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post

Earthquakes are not an issue in this part of the country.

That's good! Seems that you'll be fine then according to some of the responses.